What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith's draw this year...

betcats

Referee
Comprehension skills are obviously lacking in Penrith. I’m not whinging about the league being unfair and I’m not specifically complaining about the Panthers draw. All I am saying is that there is a better way than the current method. Do you guys disagree with that? I couldn’t care less if Panthers are the ones benefiting most, good luck to them.

I wasnt just reffering to you, look who started the thread. Lots if Roosters fans in here pointing out how easy we have had it this year.

As for the draw, we benefit some years suffer others same as everyone. There are probably other ways to do it but outside of playing each team twice there will always be easier and harder draws.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Comprehension skills are obviously lacking in Penrith. I?m not whinging about the league being unfair and I?m not specifically complaining about the Panthers draw. All I am saying is that there is a better way than the current method. Do you guys disagree with that? I couldn?t care less if Panthers are the ones benefiting most, good luck to them.

Teams are ranked from 1-16 and put in pools. What's fairer then that?

We play Melbourne 3rd, Newcastle Prelim final, Bulldogs and Sharks all teams that finished higher then us on the ladder (When the draw was done).

Throw in playing the rest of the teams in the 8 last year once. With 2 byes. 12/24 games against top 8 teams from last year.

We have bye, Dragons and Warriors before Origin so aren't getting an advantage playing weakened teams.

Big Mick

Referee
All this thread is doing is playing the result.

You can say it's an easy draw because you're armed with the result early in the year of how teams have played.

When the draw is set you don't know that shit which makes threads like this ridiculous and asinine.

If you could tell in pre-season the sharks would be ordinary because of injuries or whether the Eels would somehow be in the top 6 along with the Tigers and that the Storm would be struggling...you would be a genius. Show me someone that had the top 8 that we currently have now....you are just playing the result.

Simple.

You play what is in front of you.

And right now the Panthers have done well. No one is saying they are going to win the comp...not even Penrith fans. We are realistic. We are a team hoping at best for a deep finals run but if it went to GF it'd be a massive over-achievement.

It's not a case of Penrith fans being defensive. It's a case of a thread like this saying a team's accomplishments are diminished because of X and General Manager X is setting the draw to make it easy as being just beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Teams are ranked from 1-16 and put in pools. What's fairer then that?
We play Melbourne 3rd, Newcastle Prelim final, Bulldogs and Sharks all teams that finished higher then us on the ladder (When the draw was done).
Throw in playing the rest of the teams in the 8 last year once. With 2 byes. 12/24 games against top 8 teams from last year.
We have bye, Dragons and Warriors before Origin so aren't getting an advantage playing weakened teams.

Are they?

I thought they were still going by the whole "rank each team in order of preference you want to play them at home and we will do our best to facilitate"?

If not and they have changed it then I have no issue with Penrith?s draw.

Big Mick

Referee

Are they?

I thought they were still going by the whole "rank each team in order of preference you want to play them at home and we will do our best to facilitate"?

If not and they have changed it then I have no issue with Penrith?s draw.

No they are put into pools based on 1,3,5,7,9 etc rankings. Then all in your group you play twice the others you play once.

That is the latest system from what I know.

TheFrog

Coach
There's nothing wrong with the squad we have. The spine is on par with the Roosters last year and outperforming them this year. We don't have a dud like Mitchell Pearce in the team holding us back either.

We don't have a SBW either, or a Jennings, or an Inglis, or a Hayne. We don't really have anyone who'd be regarded as an elite player. The Origin teams have just been selected and for the 5th time in a row our club has not had a single player selected to either side. Yet we lead the premiership, and have not lost a game since April. The last placed team have two, including the NSW captain.

There is an old adage about champion teams and teams of champions. Which do you reckon this Panthers side is?

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
Neither.

You're not quite 2010 all over again, which was the worst 2nd placed team in history.

But you are 2014 pretenders imo who are 1st courtesy of a soft draw. Time will prove me right or wrong...either way it'll be a fun bump.

Neither.

You're not quite 2010 all over again, which was the worst 2nd placed team in history.

But you are 2014 pretenders imo who are 1st courtesy of a soft draw. Time will prove me right or wrong...either way it'll be a fun bump.

If you're wrong by season's end, will you be man (or woman) enough to bump this thread?

mxlegend99

Referee
We don't have a SBW either, or a Jennings, or an Inglis, or a Hayne. We don't really have anyone who'd be regarded as an elite player. The Origin teams have just been selected and for the 5th time in a row our club has not had a single player selected to either side. Yet we lead the premiership, and have not lost a game since April. The last placed team have two, including the NSW captain.

There is an old adage about champion teams and teams of champions. Which do you reckon this Panthers side is?
We are plenty of x-factor in Segeyaro, Peachey and to a lesser extent Soward and Whare. We don't rely on any single player to carry the team. Meaning a player or two on an off day doesn't kill our chances entirely at getting a win.

Not saying we will win the comp. But our spine certainly compares to last year's premiers.

Mini in his prime is on another planet to Moylan, but form for both since Moylan debut is comparable

Soward and Maloney are very similar strengthen players, Soward is in better form this season. But then what halves haven't been?

Wallace is basically Pearce without being overrated due to his surname, tough and competitive player that's good at club level in a team with a good halves partner. Useless otherwise.

Segeyaro since starting has started gaining ground on the elite 80 minute hooker. Not there yet, but he would be one of the best hooker the past month.

A superstar spine would be great. But they tend to mean sacrificing elsewhere in the team and having all your eggs in the one basket.

EzyG

Juniors
Neither.

You sound so stupid Tommy, borderline pathetic
or are you some 8 yr old posting on forums when mummy & daddy aren't looking

TheFrog

Coach
Come on mate, you are revealing yourself as a troll now. The 1989 Panthers side could give them a run, what with Neil Baker in the side and Chris Mortimer dropped from the starting side. It did contain a 17 year old Brad Fittler though, the two losing finals were his 3rd and 4th first grade games. 2nd place is not a good finish for us. 1st or 3rd is much better.

You sound like a DJ who only owns one record.

Last edited:

Blues Riff

Bench
If this OP guy isn't a child, then it's pretty sad how he has clung onto this school yard mentality in his adult life.
Tommy,
I haven't heard a single Penrith fan gloating about the top spot. What pleases us most is the restructuring off the field, the junior system, recruitment and retention, good management, coaching and a very positive new culture.
All of these factors have resulted in some on-field success. There will be ups and downs no doubt, but the big picture is, the club is finally reaching it's potential and on it's way to becoming the benchmark of the NRL. We know it, most rational people know it. There's so much more to come.
That's what you should feel insecure about, not the draw and ladder.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If this OP guy isn't a child, then it's pretty sad how he has clung onto this school yard mentality in his adult life.
Tommy,
I haven't heard a single Penrith fan gloating about the top spot. What pleases us most is the restructuring off the field, the junior system, recruitment and retention, good management, coaching and a very positive new culture.
All of these factors have resulted in some on-field success. There will be ups and downs no doubt, but the big picture is, the club is finally reaching it's potential and on it's way to becoming the benchmark of the NRL. We know it, most rational people know it. There's so much more to come.
That's what you should feel insecure about, not the draw and ladder.

Famous last words spoken by dozens of teams over the last decade or so. Things can change very quickly with little room for assumptions.

I haven't been a Penrith bagger and have said that outside my team I'd be happy to see Ivan get the premiership, but that bolded but is way over the top at this early stage.

Latest posts