What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perry re-signs with Knights

Johns Magic said:
His form this year has been alot better than what it has been. I think Josh has realised that he is now completely out of favour in representative teams and will get out of his comfort zone.

Have we been watching the same bloke his had two "okay" games, besides that has been dreadful, suspended or injured.

We deadset must have been watching a different bloke unless your one of those people who think that two games is enough to catapult a bloke into success....

Skeptic_Ghost said:
perry.jpg

That is out and utter gold!

antonius

Coach
ben said:
I dont think the club had any other option than signing Perry. Imagine if we had no Perry next year, maybe we will have less penalties per game but our prop ranks will be severely depleted. Without Perry would mean that Davico and Woolnough would start, and the two prop of the bench would probably be Tolar and White.

If we could resign Smith it still would've meant that Tolar would be in our 17 and imo, he simply does not cut it. I'm hoping that we can resign Smith, which will seriously create a much better forward pack
We haven't had him this year, so it wouldn't be any different. I doubt Matt White will be here next year, he's off contract, and has been banished to Premier league, after doing nothing wrong in his first grade appearances this season, he's been braining it in Premier League and watched players in lesser form leapfrog him into first grade. White is a genuine BIG front rower with potential, IMO he's been treated like crap this year, but that's nothing new lately for quite a few players. The paper reported earlier this year that if we retained Perry then the club wouldn't be in a position to offer Smith another contract. It's also reported that to date Mal Rielly has recieved no offers from the club (Straight from Tyler) Perry has been a total waste of money for the past two years, he's played three of four games this year because of self inflicted reasons, he's bagged the club in the papers for not showing him loyalty, he was average last Sunday. I'll tell you why he re-signed here for less than the cowboys, because he's in his comfort zone at the Knights, at the Cowboys he would have had to get off his arse. I for one am not holding my breath until he starts performing. I agree he has the potential, but he's had it for the last three years, and it's still yet to emerge from where ever he's hidden it.

Johns Magic

Referee
chriswalkerbush said:
Absolute bullsh*t. Newton is a better player than Perry, and will be for the forseeable future. Why? Because not only does he have the talent, but his head isn't stuck up his own ass, which does a lot for your ability to play football.

Have you ever watched a Knights game before 2004?

When Newton came into first-grade he could hardly catch the ball. He had the biggest butter-fingers in the world.

He's close to the smallest forward in our top 25. In fact the only lighter forwards are Lowrie and Brown.

So tell me. How does a small, non ball-playing forward succeed? Determination. He's worked so hard on his game that you could see he was a different person when he returned from suspension.

Your last sentence was exactly my point by the way. I don't know what you're arguing about.

antonius

Coach
Yep JM is correct Newton was bloody awefull when he first came into first grade, you'd cringe every time he had the ball. He came back from that broken ankle a different player unfortunately his suspension prevented us seeing a continuation of the improvement last year but he certainly has this year. Just shows what a bit of determination, dedication and guts will do. He really has turned the corner and will be a valuable member of the Knights for years to come.

Doctor

Bench
antonius said:
Yep JM is correct Newton was bloody awefull when he first came into first grade, you'd cringe every time he had the ball.

Troy Fletcher-bad he was. The main problem being his sloppy ball handling.... knock-on central it was. But he's turned it all around, to his credit, and is now up there with Simpson as our 1st choice selections in the forwards.

Regarding Perry: It's interesting. I'm not in favour of keeping him if he is costing us more than about $120,000 a year. It's big money to be earning when you're giving away cheap penalties, dropping the ball, getting suspended and getting injured. It's also big money when other forwards think you're soft, and you only provide a rebutal to the reputation when contract time comes.

But, just like last time, I genuinely hope that someone grabs him by the scruff of the neck and pulls him into line. I don't think Hagan is that sort of coach. Ricky Stuart is.... but he lets himself down in other areas. What Perry needs is discipline.... four years after his breakthrough year in 2001, he's still costing us metres because he gives away cheap penalties and drops the ball.

I would have sooner let him go elsewhere. The club doesn't have the resources to keep him fit, let alone disciplined. But now that he has signed, it's time for someone to get alongside him and get his game in order. He showed glimpses of what he needed to do on Sunday, but let himself down with stupid penalties, meat-headed penalties in fact, and some dropped-ball.

I hope, for our sake, the $200,000 buys us a prop with a bit of grunt, a bit of don't-argue but more importantly a prop that knows exactly where the line is, and knows how to avoid crossing it. He could be great -- but can he discipline himself to reach his potential?

Nuffy

Bench
Thats why he needs a couple of mentors who will start working with him....today.

We've spent the money now lets get the benefits.

lik my eel

Juniors
i cant believe this useless soft as sh*te fairy has knocked back another good offer 2 go 2 another good club coz hes 2 scared 2 move away from newcastle...
i bet he still lives with his mum??
no wonder hes called the teddy bear.
i can see why the knights will be smacked on the backside with the wooden spoon this year...

Stranger

Coach
lik my eel said:
i cant believe this useless soft as sh*te fairy has knocked back another good offer 2 go 2 another good club coz hes 2 scared 2 move away from newcastle...
i bet he still lives with his mum??
no wonder hes called the teddy bear.
i can see why the knights will be smacked on the backside with the wooden spoon this year...

Worst Post Ever.

northey

First Grade
Perry re-signs with Knights

13 July 2005

Former NSW prop Josh Perry has rejected a lucrative North Queensland offer and re-signed with Newcastle for another two NRL seasons.

The Knights' next priority is holding on to former NSW Country backrower Daniel Abraham.

Perry's signing follows news that Irish winger Brian Carney will link with Newcastle next season before starting a two-year deal with new club Gold Coast from 2007.

- www.nrl.com

Misanthrope

Staff member
Your last sentence was exactly my point by the way. I don't know what you're arguing about.

All the determination in the world means sh*t if you haven't got the talent to start with. No matter how hard the average slob tries, he'll never be a good actor or a good writer or a good footballer. That kind of Disney bullsh*t 'try and you'll succeed' gives kids an unrealistic impression of life. The fact is, if you don't have the talent naturally, no amount of trying your ass off will make you special. You'd be passably talented, sure.

The fact is, Newton obviously has natural talent to go with his determination. For you to say he doesn't, is grossly wrong. The difference between Perry and Newton isn't talent, and it's not entirely committment- it's just that Perry found motivation when he came in, and Newton found it while he was out injured.

Doctor

Bench
chriswalkerbush said:
All the determination in the world means sh*t if you haven't got the talent to start with. No matter how hard the average slob tries, he'll never be a good actor or a good writer or a good footballer. That kind of Disney bullsh*t 'try and you'll succeed' gives kids an unrealistic impression of life. The fact is, if you don't have the talent naturally, no amount of trying your ass off will make you special. You'd be passably talented, sure.

It worked for Stephen Waugh. His brother was always the most talented and natural at batting. Stephen just wanted it more. History will judge Stephen as being far more influential and crucial to Australian cricket in the 90s than his brother. While both clearly have talent, more than the average Joe, determination it seems does count for something.

And so it is with footballers. They have to possess a certain amount of talent to get into first grade -- they're not average Joes like you and I. Once in first grade, much of their success can come down to injuries and determination.

Bear in mind that I have no clues as to which players you're referring to in relation to the Disney "try and you'll succeed" mentality. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

Alex28

Coach
How much do you think Perry really wants "it" - I think he is more after a paycheck rather than any representative success and respect as one of the best forwards in the game. He has made that perfectly clear over the last few years.

borat

Bench
Ron Burgundy said:
Reports were saying that the Cowboys were offering around the 230,000 mark. Thats not rock bottom.

I think Perry was weighing up the extra 30K versus living in the sandpit for the next 2 years.