What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth must get their own NRL side: Tallis

Which should come first?

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
Quadruple the amount of Melbourne and they've got a premiership winning team and had $100million in the last decade!

dimitri

First Grade
i think by adding the bears and the reds we get to consolidate our position on the east coast and also expand the game! it just makes sense!

:crazy:

Doga

Juniors
Perth is a must. If Rugby League wants to compete we need to build in the Western Side of Aust.

Bring in Perth Now. Within 15 years introduce fairly local rival

The Tank

Bench
i think by adding the bears and the reds we get to consolidate our position on the east coast and also expand the game! it just makes sense!

:crazy:

I agree 100%. Plus it's basically bringing back 2 teams that were lost from the game (Bears and Reds). As you say - it just makes sense!

hellteam

First Grade
Except the Sharks not only got help they then spat in the faces of those who helped them. Let me refresh your memories.

* At a point near their induction into the league they were already struggling for money when Manly stepped in and gave them a grant. When Manly and Norths split and the Northern Eagles reverted back to the Manly license. The Sharks VOTED AGAINST Manly's reintroduction... FACT

* During the early 90's the Sharks were again in financial trouble when the ARL stepped in and have them a grant.. They then turned their backs on the ARL and sided with SUPERLEAGUE... FACT

* They circled St. George for a long time during the merger years. Not to merge with them but to kill them off and recieve their best players incase of the scenario. They were against the St. George/Illawarra merger as they knew it would impact of their own region... FACT

* They wanted to do a mercy dash to the Central Coast 2 years ago not to relocate but to take 4 games there a year ONLY for the cash grab with no intentions of ever relocating. They would've kept the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks name playing 5 games at Shark Park and 4 at Bluetounge. While putting their case forward to the NRL that they should recieve the $8million CC relocation offer without relocating... FACT

It’s an extra team in the comp meaning an extra game.. HOW THE **** does that not = TV money? So they’ll play the extra game for free all because it’s a CC team? You have no logic.

Yes but it’s also an untapped Rugby League adoring region. Soccer plans on building a state of the art excellence center on the Central Coast. AFL are making inroads in NSW now with a 2nd team. We had the chance to make the NRL the 2nd sport in S.A. & W.A. 10 years ago yet we decided to leave. Even if we put teams there now, we’ll have a fight on our hands with soccer, union and AFL franchises. If we leave the Central Coast bare the AFL, Union and Soccer will decimate it. If we lose the Central Coast as a league region, the damage will be irreparable to our code. They supply so many juniors that without them, League dies a lot in NSW. HENCE why we need a team there right now.

Do you see what people mean when they say that the Central Coast has 9-10 teams within a few hours drive? There is already so many teams in NSW, there doesn't need to be another one.

babyg

Juniors
Now one of the trolls of late brought up the question that there would be no way we could get a team up in Perth by 2013. What are you views. Is 2 years enough time. It was enough for the Titans but they had a huge catchment.

I know the juniors team have been going through. Will any be ready for 1st in 2 years.

applesauce

Bench
We need to do the same as the AFL and give them concessions. They should have an extra 1mill first year in the cap (from NRL), 750k in the 2nd and 500k in the 3rd. See how the team is going after 3years then assess and adjust this concession accordingly.

We need them to be successful from the start (hopefully the force will still be floundering) and I predict it will be a challenge to try and convince players to live and play out of Perth (considering all the travel involved as well).

The away team factor will come into it a lot as well. Even with a good team they will find it hard to win away from home. They need this team to win games from day one.

Scheduling might need to be looked at 2 weeks at Perth / 2 games in Sydney. Flights will be reduced but hotel stays will increase, I dunno the solution....

Dogs Of War

Coach
i'd be suprised if they didn't expand in pairs, one team means no more games to sell/a bye each week.

It still probably should be staggered, so lets say Central Coast comes in 2013, and Perth 2014. Thus allowing both clubs to get strong rosters. A little allowance should be applied in letting those clubs have say a $200K extra in salary cap space to be able to pay a little over when attracting players, but only for the first year (front load the contracts).

babyg

Juniors
It still probably should be staggered, so lets say Central Coast comes in 2013, and Perth 2014. Thus allowing both clubs to get strong rosters. A little allowance should be applied in letting those clubs have say a $200K extra in salary cap space to be able to pay a little over when attracting players, but only for the first year (front load the contracts).

Allowance only if they are players from overseas so current clubs don't get raped

mightybears

Bench

Totally agree re the Reds, but i wouldn't be giving the CC Bears concessions like that, Gosford is eastern seaboard, a different market but close enough to Sysdney, Newcastle, Bris etc-they should be able to attract enough talent to be sucessful from the start [to some degree].

I prefer to give the Reds five years worth of concessions not more than 10% of the salary cap per year, but somehow avoiding backloading.

Allowances generally is something that should be looked at for all clubs, if they can poach players from RU, but again restricted to a dollar figure or two players per club.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
I agree 100%. Plus it's basically bringing back 2 teams that were lost from the game (Bears and Reds). As you say - it just makes sense!

Trouble is, CEO of the NRL is driven by what News Limited want - NOT what's best for the game.

Maybe the Bears need to pretend to build a debt-laden Centre of Excellence and promise to borrow against the NRL grant to pay players. then, we might get the nod.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If Perth get concessions, Melbourne should get concessions. I dont think they need it.

If anything, when the 2 clubs are admitted, Id like to see the NRL grant and extra couple of hundred thousand to each club to sign players from other professional competitions.

I can see uproar from current clubs if 2 clubs are given concessions in the cap, I can also see up roar from those same clubs if the new clubs take thier players (which they will), but if every club is given the same cap but incentive to buy players from other comps (so that the NRL competition isnt weaker talent wise), I can see smiles all around.

Where this money comes from however is a harder question.

matt

Juniors
I so crave for the days of watching such a blockbuster as Perth V Adelaide...Rivetting viewing.

Mad Fish

Juniors
I read an article recently where the boss of Rugby League in South Australia said while he would love for Adelaide to have an NRL team he does not think it would survive. His thought is that Adelaide has more then enough professional sporting teams and they are all struggling financially.

Interesting comment considering the Crows are one of the strongest clubs in the AFL financial wise

Feej

First Grade
The NRL talent pool is thinning because of the salary cap IMHO. If a tight salary cap is to remain in place, then the more teams the merrier I say. It means that we should be able to keep more players in the NRL, and in the longer term should have a larger junior base for rugby league.

My leanings are for:
1. a team in Perth;
2. a 2nd Brisbane team; and
3. Sharks to relocate to the central coast.
Gee, not bad. 55 replies till the inevitable "let's re-locate or get rid of the Sharks".

Dogs Of War

Coach
Allowance only if they are players from overseas so current clubs don't get raped

It takes a bit of cash to attract players. The idea is that they get one go at it, and can use that cash to get the right marquee players. Though 1 year is all it should be.

Don't agree with Perth Red in that it should be for 5 yrs. It's a once off to help get the right people on board, something the extra cash helps establish.

Love to see Perth in the comp, and think that there timeslot on Friday/Saturday nights at 9:30pm in the Eastern States would be awesome!

Noa

First Grade
I was so impressed by my visit to Perth last year and think we are fools if they arent top of the list for next cab off the rank.

hutch

First Grade
I so crave for the days of watching such a blockbuster as Perth V Adelaide...Rivetting viewing.

who cares what you think though. i take it you were being sarcastic, but a match between perth would give hundreds of thousands of new supporters the chance to support a team, so if one or two people dont care in sydney, who cares!

Latest posts