What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Beatte NRL 360 - expansion

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's not nostalgia at all ! What you are referring to as 'nostalgia' is the core fabric and impetus of this great competition. How disrespectful! ? Without this the competition has no market resonance nor public credit points. But some can see this. Others don't!

I beg to differ. Discourse, be it parochial or water cooler chat is still a form.of support and a vote for the club or code in my books! It all helps to cultural awareness and a form of sporting loyalty as far as I'm concerned.

@Hello, I'm The Doctor is spot on - what you are describing is pure nostalgia for the NSWRL / ARL comp prior to the NRL era. If Manly (for example) go broke because they can't attract people to their dump of a ground, sell memberships or attract eyeballs to TV sets then nostalgia and water cooler talk means f@#k all to them.

tri_colours

Juniors
@Hello, I'm The Doctor is spot on - what you are describing is pure nostalgia for the NSWRL / ARL comp prior to the NRL era. If Manly (for example) go broke because they can't attract people to their dump of a ground, sell memberships or attract eyeballs to TV sets then nostalgia and water cooler talk means f@#k all to them.

How is anyone that wants to dilute or reduce Rugby League greatest asset right, or even partly right. .

Leave the nostalgia out. Its fully understandable that not all people are going to think the way we do

" those that drink from the well should always remember who dug the well'

Ps They should though!

Most of the dollars that come our way is because of the Sydney market and, to a lesser extend the Brisbane marked . Our competitors would love, nothing more, than to get a bigger chunk of these main markets and you people seem to be lining up to give them that a chance

I've no doubt you people will interpret this as negative and anti - expansionary because it isn't something that's going to happen overnight.

I'm a rugby league fan and I want to see Rugby League dominate this country - Australia's winter sport! And any one else that want to join in. And if it takes another 100 years - it takes another 100 years.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iv'e never heard anything more ridiculous than some slash and burn policy - aimed at what? Giving the other codes ago.

I certainly don't want to be told by my 13 year old niece that she signed up to play AFL.

The AFL run a very successful 18 man comp and don't have any need or desire to reduce the number of teams in there heartland.

The more matches (quality) we supply the networks with the more they will pay. And I can't see a problem with having up to 24 team comp (everybody plays everybody once) which would be fairer than the current draw . With some teams playing once and some twice. From there a conference set up. Games between rival conferences would have the potential to be bigger than Origin. with all teams being included.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
How is anyone that wants to dilute or reduce Rugby League greatest asset right, or even partly right.
Except that's a straw man and nobody wants to "dilute or reduce" anything, at worst they want to rearrange it so we can have the best of both worlds.
Leave the nostalgia out. Its fully understandable that not all people are going to think the way we do

Ps They should though!
.Except the Sydney clubs didn't "build the well" alone, they became the dominant element in the country but only because of their access to pokies giving them the extra funds to buy all the competitions best players up.

Do you really think that the Sydney clubs are what they are now if they can't afford to buy all the best players from the other clubs and competitions across NSW, QLD, NZ, etc!? If so you are delusional.
Most of the dollars that come our way is because of the Sydney market and, to a lesser extend the Brisbane marked . Our competitors would love, nothing more, than to get a bigger chunk of these main markets and you people seem to be lining up to give them that a chance
Only because the Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne markets are the only major markets we have a presence in, and the Brisbane and Melbourne markets are underutilised to boot.
It's bloody hard to make money off a market when you effectively aren't present in it, that's why we want to diversify the clubs revenue streams by placing clubs in new markets.

BTW, you are making our argument for us... We already know that there are to many eggs in the Sydney basket so to speak, and the Sydney basket is breaking under the weight, we want to do something about that, you don't...
I've no doubt you people will interpret this as negative and anti - expansionary because it isn't something that's going to happen overnight.

I'm a rugby league fan and I want to see Rugby League dominate this country - Australia's winter sport! And any one else that want to join in. And if it takes another 100 years - it takes another 100 years.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It won't work.

In one hundred years time when you've caught up to where the AFL (and etc) is now the AFL will have progressed another one hundred years ahead...

It's the runner with the necrotic toe again, the market can't and won't sit still and wait for you, you'll always be playing catch up when you could be winning the race (or at least competing) if you cut the toe off.
Iv'e never heard anything more ridiculous than some slash and burn policy - aimed at what? Giving the other codes ago.

I certainly don't want to be told by my 13 year old niece that she signed up to play AFL.
What slash and burn policy?

There is no slash and burn policy!
The AFL run a very successful 18 man comp and don't have any need or desire to reduce the number of teams in there heartland.
That's just categorically false, ever since the Bears and Lions merger in the 90s the AFL has constantly tried to get the smaller clubs from Melbourne to relocate, at one time or another every team and their dog has been linked to Canberra, Tasmania, NQ, NZ, and the GC before the Suns were admitted into the comp...
The more matches (quality) we supply the networks with the more they will pay. And I can't see a problem with having up to 24 team comp (everybody plays everybody once) which would be fairer than the current draw . With some teams playing once and some twice. From there a conference set up. Games between rival conferences would have the potential to be bigger than Origin. with all teams being included.
Firstly, broadcasting is going through an upheaval, more matches = more money was always a massive oversimplification but now with streaming it just isn't necessarily true at all.

Secondly, 24 teams isn't enough space to fit all the markets that could support a team, so who misses out on having a team so Sydney can have nine?

Thirdly, a conference system will always be unfairly lopsided so long as the competition is so Sydney-centric, and beside from that the Sydney market cannot support the clubs that it has so even if you go to a conference system all the problems in Sydney will still continue and will still stunt the comps growth and competitiveness...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
How is anyone that wants to dilute or reduce Rugby League greatest asset right, or even partly right. .

Ps They should though!

Oh hey Stallion - you are logged into your other account today... I was going to reply but @The Great Dane pretty much summed it up above. Thanks TGD!

The death of the BRL happened in Brisbane too you know, some of our historical clubs went under and the ones that didn't are playing second teir RL these days. You know what though, RL in QLD has moved on and thriving with the Broncos, Titans and soon the Cowboys all playing out of modern, state-of-the-art facilities. We will hopefully soon see a second Brisbane side too. This is progress and that is required for the game to continue to grow and prosper.

I'm not suggesting that we kill or relocate Sydney teams. I am suggesting that each team find their level. If a smaller Sydney team is more appropriately placed in the NSW Cup moving foward so the bigger Sydney clubs have more room to move and the game can expand to Perth, Adelaide, other parts of NZ then so be it. And just like RL did in QLD, the game will move on, grow and be better for it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Ps They should though!

Hahaahahaha, Stallion forgot which account he was in......

tri_colours

Juniors
Except that's a straw man and nobody wants to "dilute or reduce" anything, at worst they want to rearrange it so we can have the best of both worlds.

.Except the Sydney clubs didn't "build the well" alone, they became the dominant element in the country but only because of their access to pokies giving them the extra funds to buy all the competitions best players up.

Do you really think that the Sydney clubs are what they are now if they can't afford to buy all the best players from the other clubs and competitions across NSW, QLD, NZ, etc!? If so you are delusional.

Only because the Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne markets are the only major markets we have a presence in, and the Brisbane and Melbourne markets are underutilised to boot.
It's bloody hard to make money off a market when you effectively aren't present in it, that's why we want to diversify the clubs revenue streams by placing clubs in new markets.

BTW, you are making our argument for us... We already know that there are to many eggs in the Sydney basket so to speak, and the Sydney basket is breaking under the weight, we want to do something about that, you don't...

It won't work.

In one hundred years time when you've caught up to where the AFL (and etc) is now the AFL will have progressed another one hundred years ahead...

It's the runner with the necrotic toe again, the market can't and won't sit still and wait for you, you'll always be playing catch up when you could be winning the race (or at least competing) if you cut the toe off.

Rearrange? let’s call a spade a spade . Your plan is to water down the Sydney market reduce its support. So in order for us go ahead you feel we have to weaken the Sydney market.

Maybe not a slash and burn policy but pretty close

I seem to re call Dally Messenger and the Paddington town hall blah blah, Blah, etc. It seem you recall it differently. We will leave that argument for another day. That’s not really relevant. There clubs have the majority of the best players. They have spent hundreds of millions getting them . That just how it is!

All the clubs have the same amount of money

We have made a lot of progress in the last 8 years . while we are a fair way behind in crowds, and I doubt that’s about to change to much – much more importantly we are the most watched sport in Australia with growth and other opportunities left right and centre

The more people that an add can capture the more people will pay for an add and the more interested the networks will be .

The AFL run a very successful (18 team) competition. Even I will admit that.

They have tried many places to expand, Tasmania's probably there best bet. And if they did expand to there The expansion club the Suns would probably be the front runner.

The Game is just as popular as ever. So however is shown, Tv or streamed it will continue to get good money.

Not to many of the clubs in financial difficulty are located in Sydney.

John Quayle (the incompetent old fool) has done a very good job at Newcastle.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Rearrange? let’s call a spade a spade . Your plan is to water down the Sydney market reduce its support. So in order for us go ahead you feel we have to weaken the Sydney market.

Maybe not a slash and burn policy but pretty close

Nope that isn't 'my plan' at all.

If anything 'my' plan would result in more professional and semi-professional clubs in Sydney, there just wouldn't be as many Sydney clubs in the Telstra premiership as there is now.

I seem to re call Dally Messenger and the Paddington town hall blah blah, Blah, etc. It seem you recall it differently. We will leave that argument for another day. That’s not really relevant. There clubs have the majority of the best players. They have spent hundreds of millions getting them . That just how it is!

And I seem to remember things like the All Golds and before that the Northern Rugby Union, not to mention things like the BRL, etc, but you know lets just forget the history that doesn't suit...

All the clubs have the same amount of money

Ahh what, no they don't... All the clubs have varying amounts of money in the bank, for example the Broncos, Raiders, and Dogs are significantly richer then say Manly or the Sharks.

Just cause they all get the same amount in grants from the NRL doesn't mean they have the same amount of money Stallion...

We have made a lot of progress in the last 8 years . while we are a fair way behind in crowds, and I doubt that’s about to change to much – much more importantly we are the most watched sport in Australia with growth and other opportunities left right and centre

But those growth opportunities won't sit around and wait for us forever while we screw around attempting the impossible task of making all the clubs in an overcrowded market sustainable...

The more people that an add can capture the more people will pay for an add and the more interested the networks will be .

I'm seriously not sure what you are trying to get across here.

The AFL run a very successful (18 team) competition. Even I will admit that.

They have tried many places to expand, Tasmania's probably there best bet. And if they did expand to there The expansion club the Suns would probably be the front runner.

The point being?

The Game is just as popular as ever. So however is shown, Tv or streamed it will continue to get good money.

The problem (well, depending from where you are standing it's a positive or a negative) with streaming (and the internet in general) is that it is a brand new medium operating in a global marketplace.

Look this is a huge and complex subject in of it's self, so if somebody else wants to explain it to you then fine, but I can't be bothered to do it properly, so here are some simplified bullet points.

1. It's not clear how much the streaming rights for a product like the NRL is worth to streaming companies when it's competing with bigger products like the EPL, NFL, NBA, etc, so it could end up being that it's worth billions or it could be that it's worth considerably less then what the NRL currently gets.

2. If it turns out that the NRL isn't worth all that much to the streaming companies then you might stay why doesn't the NRL just stay with the TV companies that offer to pay us more!? Well that's cause the internet and streaming companies are out competing the TV companies and broadcast TV is dying medium, so very soon they won't be able to afford to pay the NRL the amounts of money that they currently do for the broadcasting rights, at which point the NRL will probably be shit out of luck and won't be able to expect injections of billions of dollars every four or so years.

Let's put it this way: if the NRL was to die in the next hundred years it won't be the AFL or RU that killed it, it'll be the EPL, NFL, NBA, MLB, new competitors from China, etc, as they use the internet to globalise even more, but we're going off on a tangent at this point.

Not to many of the clubs in financial difficulty are located in Sydney.

John Quayle (the incompetent old fool) has done a very good job at Newcastle.:rolleyes:

Of the 'out of town club' only Newcastle and the GC are really in precarious positions, and with Wests in charge of the Knights now that has probably changed for Newcastle (though the jury is still out on the GC), the rest are all either reasonably sustainable or out and out loaded, with the exception of extraordinary circumstances the only one who's might face some financial troubles apart from the aforementioned are NZ and NQ , but as things stand that seems reasonably unlikely for the time being.

Meanwhile in Sydney three quarters of the clubs are in some sort of financial trouble, and the other quarter are being stifled by having to compete for the over stretched resources....

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Hahaahahaha, Stallion forgot which account he was in......

A tad rude and not appropriate Doctor. You have made genuine sense on another thread. So let's try this one. Tri- colours has provided excellent content .

Stallion

First Grade
Still haven't figured out how quoting someone works Stallion?!

And btw Great Dane. Your previous rant ignores the reality that the AFL has 9 or 10 clubs in Melbourne and rugby league has 8.5 clubs . Sydney has a bigger population than Melbourne. And yes I've seen the dribble about what the AFL would like to do. But it's not happening. They know that existing established clubs are gold in market terms. Not just in Melbourne but Australia wide. They, like the smiling assassin's they are, will have you think what they want you to think and gladly watch the mess happen (reduction of top flights RL clubs in SYDNEY )Then picking up the scraps after rugby league has well and truelly lost the farm.

The Great Dane

First Grade
And btw Great Dane. Your previous rant ignores the reality that the AFL has 9 or 10 clubs in Melbourne and rugby league has 8.5 clubs . Sydney has a bigger population than Melbourne.

And they are headed down the exact same path that the NRL is, they'll be forced to rationalise Melbourne again just like the NRL will be forced to rationalise Sydney, and they'll probably be forced to get more aggressive about it before the NRL is forced to do so.

Stallion

First Grade
And they are headed down the exact same path that the NRL is, they'll be forced to rationalise Melbourne again just like the NRL will be forced to rationalise Sydney, and they'll probably be forced to get more aggressive about it before the NRL is forced to do so.

Lol. The lunatics plan! You seriously think that.! ? You are being hoodwinked by a very smart and savvy code. They have certainly got you on board! Ridding the competition of well known (Australia wide) club brands is not (repeat NOT) good business. They will bluff their way for dummies like you to believe that's their intent but when push comes to shove "IT'S NOT. The AFL are not simpletons. They realise where Australia's largest cities are and where most of its population is. Having already longtime established clubs is not something a sports organisation or business would want to lose as an asset. You believe they would rid Australia's 2nd largest city of more established clubs. You are dummer than I first thought!

Stallion

First Grade
Oh hey Stallion - you are logged into your other account today... I was going to reply but @The Great Dane pretty much summed it up above. Thanks TGD!

The death of the BRL happened in Brisbane too you know, some of our historical clubs went under and the ones that didn't are playing second teir RL these days. You know what though, RL in QLD has moved on and thriving with the Broncos, Titans and soon the Cowboys all playing out of modern, state-of-the-art facilities. We will hopefully soon see a second Brisbane side too. This is progress and that is required for the game to continue to grow and prosper.

I'm not suggesting that we kill or relocate Sydney teams. I am suggesting that each team find their level. If a smaller Sydney team is more appropriately placed in the NSW Cup moving foward so the bigger Sydney clubs have more room to move and the game can expand to Perth, Adelaide, other parts of NZ then so be it. And just like RL did in QLD, the game will move on, grow and be better for it.

The lunatics asylum for you titoelcolombiano ! Tri- colours is another of many whom can see the flawed thinking that some of you have. No need to feel insecure that their are plenty of others that are aware of what's at stake. Basically your logic is compromising 100 plus years of a much envied and marvelous competition with its foundations based from Sydney's clubs. You lose them you lose the plot! Once again their is no objection to additional clubs but some would rather see the game on its knees!

tri_colours

Juniors
Ahh what, no they don't... All the clubs have varying amounts of money in the bank, for example the Broncos, Raiders, and Dogs are significantly richer then say Manly or the Sharks.

Just cause they all get the same amount in grants from the NRL doesn't mean they have the same amount of money

I think that's pretty darn obvious.

'They all have the same amount of money' to spend on there team.

tri_colours

Juniors
Good businesses know when to cut away dead-weight departments and invest their resources effectively...

Nostalgia on its own is not enough reason to keep dead-weight.

If there are lay offs in a business (a Good businesses) the most valuable employees and those with seniority are the Last to go!

Stallion

First Grade
Engaging in a negative discourse is quite a thing for the Great Dane! Along with the disrespect and total ignorance of what makes the NRL tick is such a poor reflection on his relentless pursuit to weaken this envied competition.

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
The Sharks, Manly, Tigers, etc, are neither the most valuable or senior... So again what’s your point?

I was replying to someone else. are you in the habit of quoting someone when you have no idea of what they are talking about?

As for Cronulla , West Tigers and Many. them, there connections , and there geography is better than most. As is there seniority.