What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans for ANZ Stadium roof

m0nty

Juniors
You make a good point there. One of the big selling points of the then docklands stadium was the fact that it has retractable seating to make the ground rectangular yet you could probably count on one hand how many times they've moved them in.

As you mentioned it's a very expensive and damaging to the turf which has to be re-laid in parts when they move them forward and you can only guess they'd use exactly the same process and would have the same cost/damage issues at Homebush. That being the case i wouldn't expect them to be moved in very often at all for our games especially given there'll be fairly regular AFL games there as well.
I'd imagine the way it would work out is that the seats would maybe come in for the one or two Origin games, but outside that they wouldn't bother in winter until the last AFL game of the season - complicated by the fact that they would want to play a home final there, so if Swans/GWS are looking like they'll get one, you wouldn't see seats coming in until NRL semis. The fact that the chairman of the AFL is on the Homebush board may ensure that scenario.

Paulie Jay

Juniors
Am I the only one who thinks that 40,000 seats at Campbelltown is a bit over the top? Don't get me wrong Tigers fans - I hope you do get a sparkling new upgrade - but do you really want to be watching premiership RL in a stadium with 25,000 empty seats every week?

chrisc101

Juniors
I'd imagine the way it would work out is that the seats would maybe come in for the one or two Origin games, but outside that they wouldn't bother in winter until the last AFL game of the season - complicated by the fact that they would want to play a home final there, so if Swans/GWS are looking like they'll get one, you wouldn't see seats coming in until NRL semis. The fact that the chairman of the AFL is on the Homebush board may ensure that scenario.

Na that is rubbish, us combined with Rugby and Football are the dominant tenants- retangular codes. They have the SCG and they ruined our olympic stadium and this is our chance to win it back.

chrisc101

Juniors
Am I the only one who thinks that 40,000 seats at Campbelltown is a bit over the top? Don't get me wrong Tigers fans - I hope you do get a sparkling new upgrade - but do you really want to be watching premiership RL in a stadium with 25,000 empty seats every week?

be careful, you inply in the year 2018 or 2022 that we average 15k

As if we would not like this!

And you know. Melbourne already has good stadia, as opposed to sydney with say, adequate (barely) stadia. The proposal provides future proof for areas that sorely need it. As the govt is going to be involved in this, its in everyones interest to ensure that future uses of these stadia are met.

The new proposal by the FFA to circumvent the AFL's crap, is far better.

It gives more people more of what they want.

I think people should back this all the way, and to hell with the AFL.

El Diablo

Post Whore

you're on some serious sh*t

the seats would be rarely out as boggerball would not be played there very often

Evenflow

Bench
Na that is rubbish, us combined with Rugby and Football are the dominant tenants- retangular codes. They have the SCG and they ruined our olympic stadium and this is our chance to win it back.

lol in a perfect world maybe but it aint gonna happen. If you think the powers that be of the stadium are going to knock back the money they can make and do make from the AFL then you're dreaming. They actually have to pay some league teams to play at the ground so i doubt they're going to give that other poor excuse for football the arse when they'd actually make them money.

chrisc101

Juniors
lol in a perfect world maybe but it aint gonna happen. If you think the powers that be of the stadium are going to knock back the money they can make and do make from the AFL then you're dreaming. They actually have to pay some league teams to play at the ground so i doubt they're going to give that other poor excuse for football the arse when they'd actually make them money.

Na mate don't doubt that at all, but the viewing at Homebush is a massive issue. That is why the retangular codes need to stand up to get what we deserve because essentially that is what the AFL did in the first place to make it multi use!

m0nty

Juniors
you're on some serious sh*t

the seats would be rarely out as boggerball would not be played there very often
Probably depends on where the GWS play the majority of their home matches. The Swans play three or four now, don't they? Let's say GWS have it as their home ground and play another ten (with a few at the SCG). The NRL had 24 matches plus one Origin there this year. Of course you have to count union, but only one Super 15s match was played there this year and three Wallaby tests. Plus a Socceroo game or two. That's (theoretically) 14 oval games and 30 rectangular games.

***MH***

Bench
NRL and A-League have the perfect oppurtunity to team up against AFL on this. Both codes can share the same stadiums and facilities but are both played in each others offseason. It's the perfect deal. League lovers who feel that this World Cup is a threat to our competition have got a chip on their shoulder.

NRL will survive a break in competition and will benefit ten fold. Even if Soccer becomes as popular in League in the next 15 years, they still play in our offseason.

ona2001

Juniors
While i totally agree with that and IMO those things would get more people to games as they could make more of a day/night of it, given the location of the ground and the precinct itself is in sh*t creek so to speak i think any business's like that would have real trouble being sustainable when there's no games on and also in the off season. Where would the people come from to keep them afloat besides these peak times?

At the moment the whole area only seems to matter as a part of Sydney when there's a major event on; the trains and buses crank up and it's the centre of attention. Outside that, it has some of the worst public transport access and community vibe anywhere in Sydney. Considering the value of the Newington & Homebush Bay residential areas the government doesn't seem too concerned about giving them a 21st century transport service.

Scrapping the need to change at Lidcombe and having regular rail services from the city via the loop and out to Parramatta or Liverpool would be a start. Filling all the open space outside the arenas with something organic like regular weekend markets and open air concerts and perhaps moving the DFO and expanding it into a Docklands style factory outlet quarter would ensure a regular flow of locals and tourists into the precinct which will help sustain businesses there much better.

Timbo

Staff member
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I can't be bothered reading the whole thread to check...

Were the Telstra roof and retractable end plan go through, the stadium would be out of action for quite some time when the construction was being done.

Concievably, if it takes 9 months to a year, it would give Brisbane a chance to host a grand final.