What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Clean out

Swarzey

Bench
They won't give up Vaughan. No way will they be that dumb. Cornish would be a handy pick up.

We'll likely just ship BJ off though without a player swap. I would be disappointed, but I personally believe it should be position for position and we're boosted already with Mamo coming into first grade. Don't ask me why, I really don't know :x

It is really simple why players are going to canberra. That side has always been very talented. It is just now the big name players off contract can see where it is headed. Maybe Sticky ain't so shit afterall. He just needed to do things his way. That side is very strong now. Big, fast and skillful. Josh Hodgson is a hell of a dummy half.

Swarzey

Bench
Thing is how many of those players are on big contracts? Whighton was signed a good while ago, Croker is greatly overrated and will be nothing more than a CvC rep, Papalli is probably their highest paid player. They've got plenty in their cap to spend and players are drawn by the money. Leilua resigned to play under Bennett, I've been saying he's going to leave at some point since Bennett pulled the plug.

Considering how up and down they've been, it's going to take a fair bit more than buying players left and right to convince me they're going to achieve anything. Sticky's success has always been picking up the left overs of previous coaches. Sharks had a solid before his arrival and they slowly fell apart. He won a premiership at the Roosters with a fantastic side built by Graham.

Until we offload the ridiculous contracts we have onboard, like Uate's, we won't ever be able to manouver for the bigger off contract players. Stuart was benefited greatly by the fact that Fergo and Duges were gone by the time he was there. They took up over a third of their cap from what i read. We need the onfield success before we can expect to peak the interest of the players we really want here. I was encouraged by our first month and thought we were going to show we can be successful minus Bennett but I guess we have reaped what we have sown to a degree. Could be worse. We just have to let the talented kids mature.I still can't see Stoney bettering them as players.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Players are going to Canberra for the $$$ and BJ is no different. Canberra can afford to splash cash because their juniors don't seem to expect upgrade after upgrade like some other club.

Don't see why Canberra would have to give up anyone. Bj got a release clause, he can do whatever he wants.

Joel-22

Juniors
Similarly to what Johns Magic said in the BJ thread:
1.Mamo
2.McManus
3.Gagai
4.Sione
5.Uate
8.Snowden
9.Levi
12.Tsims
13.Ksims

14.Rochow
15.Tapine
16.Stockwell

We need two props an aggressive 2nd rower and a half and 5/8

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Quick question - How much of a difference do you notice between Fa'alogo compared to Tapine? Fa'alogo appears to run in slow motion compared to the much younger Tapine. In 2000, Mark Geyer was wanting to play for another season. Gus showed him video footage of the 2000 season and earlier in his career. Geyer was amazed at how much he had slowed up and that is when he decided to retire.

nick87

Coach
Anyone want to see us negotiate a player swap with the raiders for BJ before Rd 13? I would ask for Vaughan and Cornish.

Vaughan is a canberra boy, grew up in the town, played his junior footy at the Gungahlin Bulls and is now on the verge of becoming of the best props in the game... you can go to bed tonight dreaming of getting Paul Vaughan. That's as close as you'll come.

You guys should be chasing Cornish hard though. He's a very, very talented footballer who i think can be a star if given a chance by a coach who believes in him (which is something he has never gotten from Stuart)

Sam Williams also worth asking about. He's in the top side now but next year he's going to be behind Austin and Sezer. He's a weak link defensively but does all the other things right. Both would be good foils for Mullen

Tevita Pengai Jr is another the knights should look at. I believe he's from around your parts. He's a f**king weapon. Cant believe he's not in FG yet.
But we've got Fensom, Papa and Stuart has signed this Elliott Whitehead from the ESL who's supposed to be a English international, and Sia Soliola, he might be getting itchy feet.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
I'd take Cornish or Williams any day. We just need a guy who can pass, kick a few balls and not lose his shit and do stupid stuff all the time. Both would be cheap and a big upgrade for us.

Noname36

First Grade
At the moment the most important thing for us to do is get rid of the incredible amount of stupid in the side. Stupidly, errors and a complete lack of composure in the key positions seems to be at the core of the side's issues. Getting rid of Gids and BJ will help in that regard a lot but we really need Roberts gone as well to really cut down on the side's derp. Guys like Houston and Fa'alogo are very ineffective and don't deserve to be in the side either but even if we managed to bring in some better forwards our stupidity in the spine would still cost us. It doesn't really matter who we replace Roberts with. A statue would be an improvement because at least you know it's not going to have a hundred costly brainsnaps a game.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'd take Cornish or Williams any day. We just need a guy who can pass, kick a few balls and not lose his shit and do stupid stuff all the time. Both would be cheap and a big upgrade for us.

This is why i would love to see Randell get a run in the 7....

He'll be nothing special, but he has shown that he has a cool head and will get the team moving forward. Its really starting to shit me that Tyrone hasnt been dropped at least to the bench.

mozza91

Coach
If we could sign either Williams or Cornish it'd be a huge turning point for us. Them partnering Mullo in the halves would be quiet dangerous. All we'd be lacking in this scenario would be another quality front rower to partner Snowden. Hopefully we'd be able to get this with the money we now have in the salary cap.

Latest posts