What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player market news

greeneyed

First Grade
I am still doubtful.... if he wanted to stay so much, why is he going for "talks". And the Roosters have released Hegarty now... they must have a fair bit of money available under the cap now.....

greeneyed

First Grade
In today's CT, it is reported the Raiders have dropped out of the running for Paul Whatuira, but have approached Albert Hopoate and Jermaine Ale from the Roosters and Richard Fa'aso from the Panthers.

thickos

First Grade
Seems weird why we would drop out of the race for Whatuira :? Personally I think he is a good player and would be a handy purchase. Plus he would not be that expensive.

Edwahu

Bench
It would be so sweet if we got Ale and Hopoate and kept Monas. How good would it be to see the Roosters cop a bit of their own medicine.

Im wondering why they didnt pursue hegarty, unless him going to souths was negotiated before he was released, he would have been at least a decent replacement for monaghan or a decent player to play beside monaghan.

azza

Juniors
Just heard on the radio that Kidwell rejected the Raiders offer. Not sure whether to be happy or sad... guess the Storm's win last night made him decide to stay.

Bay56

First Grade
Just heard Germ on 2KY sports and he was confident that Joel would stay but that Rubes would be lured away.

Must admit, reading between the lines, thats how I have read the situation so far.

As much as I would love to see Rubes finish his career here (try saying that a few times) I think its best for the Raiders in the long term if he leaves ... good it is on his terms as he has been a loyal servant of the Raiders for some 10 years ... he goes with my grace.

If we loose Joel thats another matter ... he is a local junior with the type of skills needed at this club .... this is a good opportunity for management to go some way towards rectifying the mistake they made with his brother and at the same time send a signal to our young talent that the club is willing to back its local juniors.

For these reasons Joel is a must retention and the club should go the extra bucks to make sure he remains a Raider.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Just one thing on Ruben...

Was watching the Tigers game last night and I thought - if Ruben was 'smart' why not sign a 2 year deal with Canberra, then go to England at 33/34. He'd still get big dollars to play over there and everyone would be happy!

Just on Albert Hopoate, - Wests were not happy losing him a season or so back from their flegg side, and I have heard the talent is limitless but the attitude is huge... so unless he's willing to put in we might not want him.

jed

First Grade
Prodigiousman said:
Just on Albert Hopoate, - Wests were not happy losing him a season or so back from their flegg side, and I have heard the talent is limitless but the attitude is huge... so unless he's willing to put in we might not want him.

A Hopoate with an attitude? Say it isn't so. :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
Today's CT confirms that Kidwell will remain at the Storm, and "for a bit less money" according to his manager Sam Ayoub. Ayoub said that Canberra was certainly a viable option, was impressed with the professionalism of the club, but could not bring himself to move from Melbourne.

Meanwhile, the meeting late last week between Joel Monaghan, his manager Jim Banaghan, and Canberra CEO Simon Hawkins and general manager Don Furner is understood to have started in "a frosty manner". Banaghan was upset the club revealed the value of offers to Monaghan and Wiki last week. "We had an open and frank discussion about how events have unfolded to date" Banaghan said. "Everyone was candid. I expressed my disappointment to the club about confidential information being revealed in the newspapers. I have received an assurance that that won't happen again."

Furner defended the club's actions in correcting the record on reports of the offer to Wiki. "Unless we come out and refute the claims it becomes accepted fact. All we were doing was stating the correct position. We have a responsibility to our fans and our sponsors to let them know that we are in there trying as hard as we can to keep these two players" Furner said.

Banaghan also said that offers to Wiki have been "astronomical".

So far the Raiders have signed up Robertson and Gafa to two year contracts and extended the contract of Carney to end 2008. In coming days, the Raiders are aiming to tie up Rothery and Kahler and other key prospects in Premier League.

Coach Elliott spent time in Sydney last week talking to player managers with the aim of signing the best available elite young players who are looking for a shot at playing full time football. "At this stage the balls are in the air and we are hoping to catch as many as we can" Elliott said. "One of the reasons we are not looking for the elite established player is because they tend to want to have the package and the lifestyle. The young elite players want the opportunity and that is what we are looking to provide."

Meanwhile, the CT also reports the Raiders have made a two year offer to Souths half Joe Williams. He is also being sought by Manly.

jed

First Grade
from the Canberra Times http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... sport&story_id=318493&y=2004&m=7

Green Machine now eyes Souths' Williams
Sunday, 4 July 2004

THE Canberra Raiders' active involvement in the National Rugby Leagues open player market continued yesterday with a play at South Sydney half Joe Williams.

Canberra has submitted a two-year offer for the Wagga product, who has made a huge difference to the Rabbitohs line-up since being installed as their starting No7. Cashed-up Manly is one of the most aggressive clubs in the trading period and also has Williams on its hit-list. The Sea Eagles have already beaten the Raiders to St George forward Brent Kite and again loom as the strongest threat to snaring Williams.

Souths have been a different line-up since Williams was paired with Owen Craigie in the halves by caretaker coach Arthur Kitinas.

Williams has proved a lively addition and has established himself as a genuine playmaker, scoring a try and booting 14 goals from four appearances in the process.

greeneyed

First Grade
Incredible, the CT actually put some articles up on the website! Just as well I summarised the one they didn't put up!

Anonymous

Juniors
Joe Williams? That would be a good buy.

Bloody Rebecca Wilson's article had that the Warriors are now 'favourites' to sign Wiki, with an offer of NZ500K per season on the table for him.

Edwahu

Bench
I would be happy if we got Williams. I though he was a bit small for firsts but he seems to be handling it pretty well. Williams, Marty, Smith and Carney would create a boatload of tries between them.

mate rebecca wilson has said that Ruben Wiki has been "linked" to over 10000 clubs over the past month.

She said Manly were favs, then Wigan, and then this week its the warriors

She is shit