What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Eels Dude

Coach
No, but I am seeing the NRL fall into the hands of an independent commission whose charter it is to do the right thing by the sport of rugby league. Not that this means a PNG team is only good for RL in general and not the NRL specifically. I already pointed out how this club would benefit the NRL AND RL in general AND PNG as a nation. You seem to be the one not reading.

No the charter is to do the right thing to improve the NRL as a sporting competition. Anything else is an added bonus.

The independent commission being set up has got nothing to do with the IRLF federation. It's about the NRL as an Australian based professional sporting competition.

Moffo

Referee
I went to a lecture tonight about chinas involvement in PNG

f**k me PNG is a basket case of a country. Lovely people but Some real complicated issues and racial tension there at the moment. Not sure I'd go there if I was a player atm

the irony and hypocrisy of this post is unbelievable and voids any contribution you make further. youve never been there and rely on here say, whereas people like me and the other posters who have been there rely on actual first hand knowledge, so please givre this up cause youre embarrasing yourself.
The people running the bid LIVE THERE. Including Brad Tassell and other ex-pat Australians and New Zealanders involved in the bid and related work. So you have more credibility than them because you flew in and flew out? That's ridiculous. Not only do you people think the people of PNG shouldn't have a say in the running of their own country but that people who live there know less about the country than you.

No the charter is to do the right thing to improve the NRL as a sporting competition. Anything else is an added bonus.

The independent commission being set up has got nothing to do with the IRLF federation. It's about the NRL as an Australian based professional sporting competition.
Bullshit. The IC will represent Australia on the RLIF. And that's what it's called by the way, the RLIF, not the "IRLF federation". And it doesn;t just relate to Australian RL because otherwise the Warriors would have no place in the NRL. PNG can be part of the NRL in just the same was was the Warriors are. And I will say it again, a PNG side BENEFITS THE NRL anyway.

Eels Dude

Coach
What? New Zealand had a domestic comp too. Does that mean there is no point having the Warriros in the NRL? France has a domestic comp, does that mean there's no point having Catalans in the Super League? A PNG team in the NRL is a massive step up from the PNG domestic comp. For a whole range of reasons. They see the benefit of it. The NRL should too. If they're fair dinkum they will.

F**k me dead. The ESL didn't admit Catalans into the comp to help poverty in France. And the ARL didn't admit the Warriors into the original ARL to help poverty in NZ. That's your main reason for PNG to be admitted into the NRL and therefore your comparison is void.

Eels Dude

Coach
Bullshit. The IC will represent Australia on the RLIF. And that's what it's called by the way, the RLIF, not the "IRLF federation". And it doesn;t just relate to Australian RL because otherwise the Warriors would have no place in the NRL. PNG can be part of the NRL in just the same was was the Warriors are. And I will say it again, a PNG side BENEFITS THE NRL anyway.

Ok excuse me for the typo. The Warriors were invited into the NRL because of the financial gain from it. The NRL didn't HAVE to invite them in. They chose to do so to improve the value of the competition as a whole. They also added 3 other teams when they added the Warriors. One still current in the North QLD Cowboys, and two defunct clubs in the South QLD Crushers and the Western (Perth) Reds.

You don't get it. I'm not saying the NRL should let them in to "help poverty". They should let them in for all the reasons I have already listed. You seem to want to ignore that. PNG wants to be let in to help their situation. That's THEIR motive. The NRL should let them in because they will bring a range of benefits to the NRL and to RL in general. That should be THEIR motive. Get it?

Eels Dude

Coach
You don't get it. I'm not saying the NRL should let them in to "help poverty". They should let them in for all the reasons I have already listed. You seem to want to ignore that. PNG wants to be let in to help their situation. That's THEIR motive. The NRL should let them in because they will bring a range of benefits to the NRL and to RL in general. That should be THEIR motive. Get it?

Nope you keep avoiding certain responses.

So let's go back to square one

Answer me this question. Why does PNG deserve to admitted into the NRL competition in the next couple of years? And why do they deserve it ahead of other bids? And let's assume that only 1 or 2 bids are going to be accepted which is almost certainly going to be the case.

juro

Bench
First of all, no one is saying PNG will get a team in 2014 or 15. Even they don't expect to. Secondly, NO franchise will add $50m to the deal. That seems to be some kind of random figure you have just made up. But the PNG side WILL add a substantial amount to NRL revenue. In fact it is a whole new revenue stream, ie PNG TV rights, that no other club can offer. You seem to think the NRL is only concerned about money that comes from Australian TV companies. They don't care where the money comes from. That's why they are happy to take millions from New Zealand. PNG will offer the same.
Wait a second... Do PNG currently get any NRL broadcast? I kind of assumed they do. If so, how much do they pay for it? If they had a team, would the broadcast dollars really jump that much?

nqcowboy87

Bench
The people running the bid LIVE THERE. Including Brad Tassell and other ex-pat Australians and New Zealanders involved in the bid and related work. So you have more credibility than them because you flew in and flew out? That's ridiculous. Not only do you people think the people of PNG shouldn't have a say in the running of their own country but that people who live there know less about the country than you.

oi look ive got nothing against you personally i dont know you but youre acting like a real dipsh##. look up richard parkinson and png together, hes my great great grandfather, and various member of my family have been born and raised and a few members of my family live there now, my father and three uncles where born and raised there, and ive been there a couple of times ive been to port moresby ive been to rabaul ive been to namatani, ive been to the highlands, which is more than you have and like ive said ive got family members working over there and flying over there every couple of months. which is more thna what youve ever had. and im not saying all this to sound big but more to highlight the idiocy of your statements

Last edited:
Nope you keep avoiding certain responses.

So let's go back to square one

Answer me this question. Why does PNG deserve to admitted into the NRL competition in the next couple of years? And why do they deserve it ahead of other bids? And let's assume that only 1 or 2 bids are going to be accepted which is almost certainly going to be the case.
They're not even bidding for the 2013 round of franchises against the other bids. I have already said this. You just don't read.

oi look ive got nothing against you personally i dont know you but youre acting like a real dipsh##. look up richard parkinson and png together, hes my great great grandfather, and various member of my family have been born and raised and a few members of my family live there now, my father and three uncles where born and raised there, and ive been there a couple of times ive been to port moresby ive been to rabaul ive been to namatani, ive been to the highlands, which is more than you have and like ive said ive got family members working over there and flying over there every couple of months. which is more thna what youve ever had. and im not saying all this to sound big but more to highlight the idiocy of your statements
That's all fine, but there are millions of people who live there who think its a good idea and that includes government ministers, business people and ex-pat Australians. What makes you right and them wrong? And more to the point what gives you the right to tell them they shouldn't bid for a team if they want one? They see the benefit to their country and they have put together a plan that benefits them, the NRL and RL in general.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I'd like them in, give em a few years in qld cup and u20s before upgrading to NRL level.

What is the big deal anyway, sure the recruitment might be difficult, but much like the warriors they can survive on producing juniors, look at the u20 teams as an example.

I'd much rather us grow the game then worry about another Sydney club attracting 9k.

Eels Dude

Coach
They're not even bidding for the 2013 round of franchises against the other bids. I have already said this. You just don't read.

I can read. Maybe you should learn how to. Because I previously asked you that same question in this thread an hour ago but you ignored it.

You're talking like a fool. Everyone in here is telling you a PNG side for 2014 is a pipedream... somehow you seem to agree with that in theory... but then when someone points that out you get the s**ts. So what's the go?

I can read. Maybe you should learn how to. Because I previously asked you that same question in this thread an hour ago but you ignored it.

You're talking like a fool. Everyone in here is telling you a PNG side for 2014 is a pipedream... somehow you seem to agree with that in theory... but then when someone points that out you get the s**ts. So what's the go?

No, people here are saying "pfffft maybe in 30 years" and stupid crap like that. The bid is not for 2013. Never was. If you don't know that that's not my fault. No one in here mentioned anything about 2013 or 2014. I'm talking about the bid as it stands.

Are you going to answer the other questions? If so, how much do they pay for it? If they had a team, would the broadcast dollars really jump that much?
Sod all at the moment. And yes the money would jump ridiculously if they had a team. This is the fundamental key to the bid. The team's entry is entirely tied to a massive increase in TV money, and that money is guaranteed by the bid.

Eels Dude

Coach
That's all fine, but there are millions of people who live there who think its a good idea and that includes government ministers, business people and ex-pat Australians. What makes you right and them wrong? And more to the point what gives you the right to tell them they shouldn't bid for a team if they want one? They see the benefit to their country and they have put together a plan that benefits them, the NRL and RL in general.

Stupid logic yet again. The Central Coast Bears want their own team... but just because they want an NRL side there doesn't mean they can demand one.

nqcowboy87

Bench
you do realise how corrupt and shambolic the png government is, its not like a lawless post apocylaptic wasteland, but they have a history of not having their priorities straight so i hardly think that we should put an nrl side because the government thinks so