What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

BDGS

Bench
First of all, no one is saying PNG will get a team in 2014 or 15. Even they don't expect to. Secondly, NO franchise will add $50m to the deal. That seems to be some kind of random figure you have just made up. But the PNG side WILL add a substantial amount to NRL revenue. In fact it is a whole new revenue stream, ie PNG TV rights, that no other club can offer. You seem to think the NRL is only concerned about money that comes from Australian TV companies. They don't care where the money comes from. That's why they are happy to take millions from New Zealand. PNG will offer the same.

Is it just me or does this sound like a massive change in tune?

Btw, one team adding 50 million alone goes hand in hand with the month long rumor of how much money the WA Reds would bring to the next TV deal.

And what nonsensical question was that? By the way, I don't need you to answer a question about whether the A League is worth more to soccer than the old NSL with all of its traditional clubs because the answer is obvious. I was just pointing out how ludicrous your reference to soccer and the worth of historical teams is.

Go back the pages and read it again, I'm not here to serve you.

BDGS

Bench
Why would "expansion" to Brisbane or Gosford add extra to a tv deal? Are there are mass of people who don't already have access to the sport or an interest in the sport who are suddenly going to become consumers?

There are lots of reasons not to drop a team into PNG, but tv revenue is not one of them.

Realistically, how much could having a PNG team bring to the TV rights deal?

Don't bother asking him that, you won't get an answer as he will deflect it to something else like 'it's in the bid' or 'go and read the bid'.............

Haha exactly

Eels Dude

Coach
Wow.. Gotta admit this is the most boring argument I have ever witnessed. Your both are just repeating yourselves.

Unfortunately some people need to be explained something one hundred times... and even then they still don't get it. If it wasn't for the fact i'm stuck behind my computer tonight regardless, I would not have bothered dealing with this fool.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's certainly patronising when you are happy to give them trinkets but not give them the right and freedom to make decisions about their economic and social future designed to benefit the whole nation.

maybe they should have a referendum. Would you like clean running water or an NRL team?:crazy:

BDGS

Bench
What is your solution to this poverty? Because the PNG government see an NRL side as a very important part of the development of their country. Economically and socially. People like you want to deny them that opportunity so you can forever say "look, they are poor". It's a catch 22. People like you want to prevent the very thing the government there is trying to use to help its people. Why? Because you think you, a foreigner, can tell this sovereign nation how to run its affairs. Meanwhile there are people on your own doorstep living in third world conditions and you just blow that off as an insignificant issue. If you can't solve the problems in your own backyard you have even less right to impose your will on people from another country.

Are you a uni student by any chance? Or perhaps an otter old man. It's either one or the other.

BDGS

Bench
The PNG bid team have covered every angle. They WILL deliver what NZ does. It's guaranteed in the bid. Along with every other issue.

I know the facts. And I ALSO know the facts about the bid. It's all in the bid. All of this has already been covered. It's done. The bid is waaaaaaaay ahead of all of you. You only need one TV company to cover the game and if the money is there the deal is done. And the money is there.

But this bid information is not general knowledge and you won't share it with anyone, will you?

You don't know shit about what is in the PNG bid.

juro

Bench
Sod all at the moment. And yes the money would jump ridiculously if they had a team. This is the fundamental key to the bid. The team's entry is entirely tied to a massive increase in TV money, and that money is guaranteed by the bid.
Well if this money is guaranteed in the bid, would you mind shedding some light on the amount of money? It doesn't need to be exact, just an indicative figure. Fill all us ignorant people in on some actual details for once!

BuffaloRules

Coach
You're the one who brought up the soccer nonsense. The point is, as an Australian I have the right to have a say on what this country does. If you were from PNG you would have the right to have a say in what that country does. But you don't. This country's elected government chose to bid for the WC. PNG's elected government wants an NRL team. If the people of PNG don't like that decision they have the right to oppose it. But they don't oppose it, they support it.

The Australian government ( and by default Australian taxpayers that include me and I'm assuming you) are the biggest aid providers to PNG, some $500Mil this year I believe....

If the PNG goverment is spending large chunks of money on stadiums, tv rights and a football team whilst their people are suffering through poverty, lack of basic infrastructure and healthcare, then I believe that we have every right to raise questions over this injustice....

Ausaid funding goes to very specific programs. Ausaid money is not going to be spent on stadiums or anything of the sort. The government is actually going to fund it through mining royalties. There are people living in poverty in Australia and people seem less concerned about governments spending money on frivolous things here instead of fixing those problems. A complete double standard.

And as for the details in the bid, I would be happy to fill in a few more details to people who have an open enough mind not to totally write something off before they even know the details. I have posted all the relevent information in the international forum previously and on other forums where people have been more interested in listening to the case instead of blindly rejecting it out of hand. I don't much care if people don't know the facts and continue to ignorantly make statements about the viability of a PNG team. The NRL is the only ones who need to know the details and they will. I'm more interested in discussing it with people who are open-minded enough to discuss the possibilities and not go off half cocked without the facts. So it's no skin off my nose that people who don't know what they are on about continue to live in the dark. The people who are hell bent on preventing a PNG team will come up with excuses no matter what.

BDGS

Bench
Ausaid funding goes to very specific programs. Ausaid money is not going to be spent on stadiums or anything of the sort. The government is actually going to fund it through mining royalties. There are people living in poverty in Australia and people seem less concerned about governments spending money on frivolous things here instead of fixing those problems. A complete double standard.

And as for the details in the bid, I would be happy to fill in a few more details to people who have an open enough mind not to totally write something off before they even know the details. I have posted all the relevent information in the international forum previously and on other forums where people have been more interested in listening to the case instead of blindly rejecting it out of hand. I don't much care if people don't know the facts and continue to ignorantly make statements about the viability of a PNG team. The NRL is the only ones who need to know the details and they will. I'm more interested in discussing it with people who are open-minded enough to discuss the possibilities and not go off half cocked without the facts. So it's no skin off my nose that people who don't know what they are on about continue to live in the dark. The people who are hell bent on preventing a PNG team will come up with excuses no matter what.

you are an absolute goose.

beave

Coach

Ausaid, how dare they give money to the people of PNG, don't they know how patronising that is to the people over there???................ :roll:

Brutus

Referee
What's this thread doing here still.

PNG for the QLD Cup...nothing more. I'd like to see more money thrown at footy up there, but an NRL team? Never.

BDGS

Bench
They should get an NRL team when it is realistic to do so, it is up to the PNG bid team to prove to the NRL and Rugby League fans when it will be realistic and how. When they can do that they can enter the NRL, just like any other bid.

juro

Bench

Okay, so give us the link to the thread in the international section then. I'd love to read it. I don't know why you would be posting it there, though, when it is obviously more relevant in the NRL section...

joshreading

Staff member
I think that PNG should aim for the QLD Cup, I can't see anyone disagreeing but maybe if they want to prove both their organisational and financial cred they should try and attract (through m-o-n-e-y) low drawing games.

There are plently (unfortunately) low drawing games in the NRL. Often games including the Cowboys V nearly anyone outside QLD, the Warriors at times (though this one swings), Titans, Sharks.

A key question is whether Jersey Flegg and/or Under 20's could be extended to PNG. (yes we all know it would stuff up the schedule but it might be worth it) PNG could be a goldmine of talent and we are not doing much about nurturing it at all.

Latest posts