What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

butchmcdick

Post Whore
I dont see why everyone is so fussed about getting Aussies to play for them. In my opinion a PNG side should be full of PNG players and not rely on AUssies to make up there side like many POmmy teams.

We want PNG to grow and produce players, not have another side for Aussies to retire to.

Cause that has really worked for the warriors

macavity

Referee
Professor Holmes of the University of Newcastle Centre for Business Innovation Research and Development made it clear in his study that the cost of building the stadium could be recouped in as little as 1.4 years, or in a maximum of 2.75 years. Between 1988 and 1998 the Newcastle Knights generated spending of some $52.4 million and stimulated some $104.8 million in regional spending.
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LA20030528028

Sporting teams put a lot of money back into the community - they generate a lot of money. Any govt. would kill for a 2-1 return on funding to the community - they should all fund RL teams... ;-)

with PNG, it would be a hell of a lot of Aussie (and Kiwi) dollars coming into the country. new ground, new training facilities, new hotels, tourism etc etc - means local jobs.

they have some problems, but they deserve our support on this.

dimitri

First Grade
sporting Teams Put A Lot Of Money Back Into The Community - They Generate A Lot Of Money. Any Govt. Would Kill For A 2-1 Return On Funding To The Community - They Should All Fund Rl Teams... ;-)

With Png, It Would Be A Hell Of A Lot Of Aussie (and Kiwi) Dollars Coming Into The Country. New Ground, New Training Facilities, New Hotels, Tourism Etc Etc - Means Local Jobs.

They Have Some Problems, But They Deserve Our Support On This.

Agree Completely!

dimitri

First Grade
I think they would want only one or 2 marquee players - with a whole bunch of locals!

The crowds will love this

roopy

Referee
This year it looks just viable - but you don't have to look far into the future to see it as an obvious thing for the NRL to do.
With global free trade, dirt poor countries like PNG are some of the biggest winners.
Over the last 5 years they have gotton much richer, comparatively, and that makes them the biggest growth market for RL.
The entire PNG tourism industry could be built around RL fans, and that has the potential to be huge.

marv

Juniors
Thousands of ex-pats Australians live and work in PNG. How do you think RL was introduced to PNG?

It was introduced by Australians during the second world war actually, rather than Australians choosing to live over there having migrated for work.

marv

Juniors
The warriors whilst havent won, have had some good years and produced some good players. I think a PNG side would want to promote and develop PNG players.

Dream on sunshine, if the warriors need imports then you can bet your bottom dollar a PNG franchise would need some central players to bring on the masses of talent you plan to promote.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I'd rather they focus on getting more PNG players in the NRL.

If the PNGRFL, the PNG Gov, the ARL, the NRL, the QRL and the Northern Pride and similar clubs all went to the Australian Government and said:

"This is our plan to to get more PNG players in the NRL (eg affiliations between QCup teams and SPCup teams) and this will greatly enhance the relationship between PNG and Aus, create a substantial flow of income for small PNG communitie and create high-profile identities that Aus Aid agencies could then use to promote their work in PNG. All you have to do is lower the minimum required wage for PNG citizens to migrate to Aus or make a few exceptions."

I rekcon we'd really see some improvements in PNG, and not just the team but the general living standards (look up the UN's microcredit programme if you don't believe me).

The situation of the PNG people is something that's a blight on Australia's conscience, anything that can be done to fix this should have the full support of the Aus Government that pulled out of PNG without leaving any sort of political structure.

pcpp

Juniors
I remember this idea coming up previously and it was suggested to have a PNG team based in Australia and flying up for home games at PNG.

That way there wouldn't be as much of an issue in attracting players from Australia, NZ etc.

ali

Bench
The 2 big problems with getting PNG players into the NRL are visas are getting clubs to take a gamble on them. If they had their own team, i reckon they could get close to self sufficient in only a few years. Catalans have, and PNG has far more RL players than France.

If they had a first grade team and an under 20 team I really don't believe it would take them long to become self sufficient for players.

marv

Juniors
If they had their own team, i reckon they could get close to self sufficient in only a few years. Catalans have, and PNG has far more RL players than France.

How are Catalans self sufficient? they have 8 Australians in their starting line up on any given week, this is not a slight at catalans, but you are getting carried away a bit there Ali.

The warriors arent self sufficient either, thats why it seems to me, that PNG couldnt

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
How are Catalans self sufficient? they have 8 Australians in their starting line up on any given week, this is not a slight at catalans, but you are getting carried away a bit there Ali.

The warriors arent self sufficient either, thats why it seems to me, that PNG couldnt

I'll tell you now, Les Catalans and the NZ Warriors are far more than club sides, not all French or Kiwi play for either team.

Look at how many NZ/Islanders are in the NRL, plus there are a few French players at other clubs beside Les Catalans all the way down in England.

I'll tell you one other thing, do you think the 1,000/3,000 English supporters going over spending money and having a good time 12+ times a year doesn't haven an impact on the local economy?

The French have a decent base to build upon.

marv

Juniors
plus there are a few French players at other clubs beside Les Catalans all the way down in England.

no there arent, Anseleme has left leeds after playing maybe 2 games and Adel Fellous had a loan at Widnes.

I'll tell you one other thing, do you think the 1,000/3,000 English supporters going over spending money and having a good time 12+ times a year doesn't haven an impact on the local economy?

The French have a decent base to build upon.

your missing the point parra, the point was put that PNG could be self sufficient on the Field with only PNG players, then Catalans were put forward as an example of a club self sufficient on the field, I pointed out they wernt, you know I support Catalans so I am not knocking the club, and am well aware of their benefits to the Perpignan economy and how sound their base is, thankyou.

loiner1

Juniors
no there arent, Anseleme has left leeds after playing maybe 2 games and Adel Fellous had a loan at Widnes.

and Julian Rinaldi spent the season at Harlequins and would have continued there had it not been for the quota mix up,

and Lionel Texico and Jean-Christoph Borlin spent the french off season at Doncaster

your missing the point parra, the point was put that PNG could be self sufficient on the Field with only PNG players, then Catalans were put forward as an example of a club self sufficient on the field, I pointed out they wernt, you know I support Catalans so I am not knocking the club, and am well aware of their benefits to the Perpignan economy and how sound their base is, thankyou.

but how many SL clubs are self sufficient? even clubs with fantastic youth policies like Leeds had 5 overseas players this season, Les Catalans are as self sufficient as any club in SL,

there really is no need for extra pressure to be put on PNG to be 'self sufficient' no NRL or SL club only plays players they have developed in their 1st team (which is what a PNG NRL side would need to do) and very few (if any)NRL sides only have australian players playing for them

there are quality players like Gene, Aizue, Wilshere, Bai who have come through the PNG 'development system' when there has been next to no investment or even a career path for these guys, if a PNG side can field a competitive NRL side with 20 of a 25 man squad from PNG they would be an unadulterated, unmitigated success

Poul

Juniors
I take it you haven't personally been to Port Moresby?

The idea of building an NRL standard stadium in Port Moresby is ludicrous. Plus organising security for a once off visit is a little easier than an on-going concern, particularly if players have to live and train there.

Not really. All the PNG government would have to do is sell their soul to the ....... Japanese or Chinese, who would build it for them, in exchange for votes at the UN. A number of West Indian countries have had new cricket stadia built or at least funded by the Chinese.

Titanic

First Grade
Chinese built the Sports Stadium for the last PNG hosted Pacific Games and it is now in a state of poorly maintained disrepair.

DINGb@T

Juniors
It defeats the purpose if all you do is get players into the NRL.

The point of getting a team into the NRL is to give their country a focus and bring together all the various tribal groups into a national, cohesive group. They're not looking for more players in the NRL, they're looking for a team that they can call their own.

It has to be the "Papua New Guinean <insert nationally significant symbol here>s" team. Anything else will defeat the purpose.

By being a national institution it would also be bypassing a lot of the other requirements of a football team. Essentially the government will see how much it costs to run a team and then write a cheque. After that they will try to recoup their costs in whatever way they can.

For PNG I'm thinking that means NOT relying on tickets sales (people rarely pay to watch footy up there from what I've heard, they just attend enmasse), it means getting 'goodwill' sponsorships (companies who wish to continue mining can cough up the cash, pay it through extra taxes or find it a lot harder to function for 'security' reasons) rather than necessarily sponsors who're trying to sell something, and it means taking 'security money' from AUSAID and putting it towards 'nation building' in the form of their new footy team. Which will then bring Krudd into the equation.

As far as players go, it will become one of the few ways young blokes can escape the life they're born into so the desperation and numbers will be there, not to mention a government funded system to uphold national pride that will train players the way we train Olympians- except this is the only gig in town so the whole countries resources will go into this one sport.

If a new stadium is built it would no doubt become security central. Fences may be a novel addition to rugby league but no different to many soccer fields around the world, corporate packages would be sold to mining companies making their companies a more attractive place to work which would then lead to MORE security, away team accomodation could be built into any such precinct if anyone was going to stay the night and no doubt a dirty great big wall around all of that to insulate it from community trouble (again, see soccer for examples).

The real problems-
Corruption. This thing will be run by the government and the government is dead set corrupt. How that will play out is the real big question mark over this whole experiment.

Players wont move there. Accept it. It's no place to raise a family when you can just move to Canberra or somewhere else. But also think of this- you're pretty much going to have the PNG national team playing week in, week out. Take the domestically based Kumuls, give them NRL intensity fitness and a home ground advantage that's up there with visiting old Lang Park during Origin in the 1980s. They should be able to hold their own. If they then dont move away to play for other teams...

Security- having the team in the NRL will put the media focus on Port Moresby. Port Moresby's crime will deter any real away support so you can forget a tourism industry. It will also add to the colourful media scrutiny of league. Sure, it wont be footy players behaving badly, but it will be there in the background. Having the spotlight on Port Moresby will be good from an international perspective as it will put the PNG government under the pump to improve things perhaps moreso than having a team will unite the country. It will also give the Australian government more leverage- 'get your act together or we take away your football team'. However it would complicate the simple business of showing up and playing footy week in, week out. Good for PNG, complicated for NRL. And you certainly wouldn't want the PNG equivalent of hooligans...

But realistically, if they can guarantee the money and will accept the fact that they'll be only using home grown players (even if it puts them near the bottom of the ladder most seasons) then I dont see why not. Give 'em a chance in the QLD Cup and see what happens. Just make sure they set it up as if they were going for a fair dinkum application for the NRL, right down to stadium, security, etc, even if it takes a few years (the way the Titans did) THEN make a decision a few seasons into the QLD Cup with no guarantees.