What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Colk

First Grade
With the exception of Johns, who's too dumb to have a well thought out opinion IMO, I include them amongst the Nick Politis' of the world.

The only difference is who would be major beneficiaries if Gould, for example, had complete control of the game.

Do you think that Gallen is smarter than Johns? I think they are both really dumb.

I agree on your overall point though. There is too much power in too few hands and those hands don’t want the game to move forward in any meaningful direction.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Do you think that Gallen is smarter than Johns? I think they are both really dumb.

I agree on your overall point though. There is too much power in too few hands and those hands don’t want the game to move forward in any meaningful direction.
Yes, but that isn't saying much is it.

Joey and Freddy are extremely lucky that they were as good at kicking a footy around as they were, otherwise they would have really struggled in life I imagine.

MugaB

Coach
This is the biggest load of meaningless shit I've read in a while. Thanks for the laugh.

f**king 'custodians of their roles', whatever the f**k that means, 'here to ensure the future of the game', but don't care about money, growing their market share, or expanding their footprint... That makes them pretty shitty "custodians" doesn't it.

And can we stop with the BS "muh juniors" song and dance. Junior development is almost a completely sperate issue from the professional tiers. In well run modern professional leagues it is basically completely separate from the pro clubs. And you don't necessarily need a professional club active in a region to develop juniors in said region anyway. Take Bathurst for example, they don't have an NRL side, and a club based anywhere in the country could do what the Panthers have done for them, if they have a billionaire lined up to pay off their debts when it almost bankrupts them, but we don't talk about that...

BTW, what relevance street smarts has to RL administration IDK, but you know the thing about street smarts: what's smart changes depending on the streets.
Im glad you found it funny, but this crop running the NRL aren't the same turds we had prior Greenberg, where the game was happy to be striving and surviving, and overspending to be relevant, they know they've got a good product, just trying to manage their budgets better, so they can expand into those new markets, your all tied up with the past... its also affecting your ability to perceive what can be, where they will go...
I'll put it to you, who are the next 3 teams (by2032):

MugaB

Coach

Joey and Freddy are extremely lucky that they were as good at kicking a footy around as they were, otherwise they would have really struggled in life I imagine.
Most footy players aren't able to put sentences together on those panel shows, these guys are no different,

and btw gallen was like that, before he was boxing, so also no credit there either

Perth Red

Post Whore
The problem with the influence of these talking heads in media is it’s because the nrl simply does not have a strategic plan. Gould called this out years ago. The nrl should have an expansion plan a,b and c already in place sitting in the shelf for different opportunities and scenarios.
its seems we just flit from year to year and then knee jerking to the situation.
ten years since we became independent how can the nrl not know what it wants it’s competition to look like in the next ten years?

3 years ago and it seems nothing has changed

However, Gould called out the way expansion has been approached by those in power at the NRL, suggesting not enough work had been done over the past decade for it to be viable.
"There is no one that has actually done research or gone into any market viability or gone into the financial structures of individual clubs or what it costs to run an NRL franchise.
"The fact is that the majority of our clubs trade in a position of insolvency anyway - most of them lose money. Many of them are supported by private owners or by poker machine income from licensed clubs, whose days are numbered," Gould said.

"I just don't know that the NRL over the last 10 or 15 years has done enough work to plan where it should go or what it's going to look like when it gets there.

"I said to David Gallop 'what does the game look like in 15 years' and I just get a blank expression. I said it to David Smith, I said it to John Grant, I've said it to Todd Greenberg.

"I don't think they've done any work on this whatsoever."

Colk

First Grade
The problem with the influence of these talking heads in media is it’s because the nrl simply does not have a strategic plan. Gould called this out years ago. The nrl should have an expansion plan a,b and c already in place sitting in the shelf for different opportunities and scenarios.
its seems we just flit from year to year and then knee jerking to the situation.
ten years since we became independent how can the nrl not know what it wants it’s competition to look like in the next ten years?

3 years ago and it seems nothing has changed

However, Gould called out the way expansion has been approached by those in power at the NRL, suggesting not enough work had been done over the past decade for it to be viable.
"There is no one that has actually done research or gone into any market viability or gone into the financial structures of individual clubs or what it costs to run an NRL franchise.
"The fact is that the majority of our clubs trade in a position of insolvency anyway - most of them lose money. Many of them are supported by private owners or by poker machine income from licensed clubs, whose days are numbered," Gould said.

"I just don't know that the NRL over the last 10 or 15 years has done enough work to plan where it should go or what it's going to look like when it gets there.

"I said to David Gallop 'what does the game look like in 15 years' and I just get a blank expression. I said it to David Smith, I said it to John Grant, I've said it to Todd Greenberg.

"I don't think they've done any work on this whatsoever."

True.

What are you saying is pretty simple strategy. You control the story otherwise the story controls you.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Im glad you found it funny, but this crop running the NRL aren't the same turds we had prior Greensburg, where the game was happy to be striving and surviving, and overspending to be relevant, they know they've got a good product, just trying to manage their budgets better, so they can expand into those new markets, your all tied up with the past... its also affecting your ability to perceive what can be, where they will go...
They, and you by extension, are the ones pushing the Bears, every BRL club that still has a pulse, and any other historical brand that you can think of, but I'm the one that's tied up with the past... HAHAHAHAHA, you can't make this shit up!
I'll put it to you, who are the next 3 teams (by2032):
Ignoring the possibility of the unpredictable, what probably should happen is Perth, Adelaide, and an NZ side, probably in Christchurch, but maybe Wellington depending on viability.

Again ignoring the unpredictable, what probably will happen is Perth, a PNG side in form, and an NZ or Brisbane side, but more likely to be NZ ATM IMO. The Bears will almost certainly be one of those three sides, and another will probably be a nonsense "Pasifika" side, but exactly how that will play out is up in the air ATM.

MugaB

Coach
They, and you by extension, are the ones pushing the Bears, every BRL club that still has a pulse, and any other historical brand that you can think of, but I'm the one that's tied up with the past... HAHAHAHAHA, you can't make this shit up!.
Yep im not saying im not tied either, but thats the point the brand is strong and memorable, all the baggage will be forgotten after it returns a new location...

Good picks at the end there

The Great Dane

First Grade
Most footy players aren't able to put sentences together on those panel shows, these guys are no different,

and btw gallen was like that, before he was boxing, so also no credit there either
I don't disagree, but Joey, Freddy, Anasta, Parker, and a few of the others, are an order of magnitude worse than the average.

I may not agree with them all the time, but Slater, Cronk, etc, and especially blokes like Stirling and James Graham, are all reasonably intelligent men, capable of forming their own ideas and presenting them in a reasonably eloquent manner (or very eloquent in Graham's case), and I find it quite sad that blokes like Johns have become the faces, representative if you will, of ex-RL players instead of blokes such as them.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yep im not saying im not tied either, but thats the point the brand is strong and memorable, all the baggage will be forgotten after it returns a new location...

Good picks at the end there
That's literally not how that works, but whatever it's not worth the effort.

Out of curiosity, what exactly in the past am I married to?

MugaB

Coach
That's literally not how that works, but whatever it's not worth the effort.

Out of curiosity, what exactly in the past am I married to?
Re read your first line there...
You own view on how things work,

it will literally be a new team in a new location, with new players, new coach and coaching staff, only thing that is from the old brand, is the red/black and logo

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
I don't disagree, but Joey, Freddy, Anasta, Parker, and a few of the others, are an order of magnitude worse than the average.

I may not agree with them all the time, but Slater, Cronk, etc, and especially blokes like Stirling and James Graham, are all reasonably intelligent men, capable of forming their own ideas and presenting them in a reasonably eloquent manner (or very eloquent in Graham's case), and I find it quite sad that blokes like Johns have become the faces, representative if you will, of ex-RL players instead of blokes such as them.

Very good call on James Graham. I actually enjoyed his segment with Benji (Benji Marshall was another one) when they were on NRL 360. The only good thing on that show.

Slater is a good call too. Cronk is a bit too adamant (for want of a better word) A bit like Ennis as well.

In any case, I just put it on mute and save myself the trouble.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

Freddy`s o.k. I don`t mind him, He`s clean cut, not a bullshitter and doesn`t pretend to be anything other than what he is. He doesn`t revel in the uneducated and proud of it nonsense that some of the others go on with. There could be a lot worse faces for Rugby League than Freddy.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Re read you first line there...
You own view on how things work,
No it's not just my opinion, observable and repeatable examples throughout sports history, both locally and internationally, shows that that is the case.

It is what it is, and trying to pretend that it isn't won't change it.
it will literally be a new team in a new location, with new players, new coach and coaching staff, only thing that is from the old brand, is the red/black and logo
Players, staff, grounds, etc, they're all fleeting, but records, club legends, mythologies, oral histories, are forever, and they're married to the brand.

The Bears won't live down their history anymore than any other relocated club has unless they completely distance themselves from the past to the point that they're effectively a new club. The only club I've seen truly achieve that is the Baltimore Ravens, and that's only because they gave up their old brand and record for a new club to become the new Cleveland Browns, and the NFL treated them like an expansion team when they really weren't in actuality. But none of that is applicable to the NS Bears situation, and the Ravens are the exception that proves the rule.

The Bears will struggle particularly in this area because they intend to do the insane, and continue to play games in Sydney and attempt to actively engage with their old fanbase in Sydney. Trying to keep a finger in each pie will just lead to a split identity, resentment within the fanbase, and constant media speculation that they'll relocate back to Sydney/NSW, all of which has repeatedly been shown to be a death sentence for a relocated club unless it can be corrected quickly. But the only way you can correct it is by doubling down on the new market which the Bears have repeatedly proven themselves unwilling to do.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
No it's not just my opinion, observable and repeatable examples throughout sports history, both locally and internationally shows that that is the case.

It is what it is, and trying to pretend that it isn't won't change it.

Players, staff, grounds, etc, they're all fleeting, but records, club legends, mythologies, oral histories, are forever, and they're married to the brand.

The Bears won't live down their history anymore than any other relocated club has unless they completely distance themselves from the past to the point that they're effectively a new club. The only club I've seen truly achieve that is the Baltimore Ravens, and that's only because they gave up their old brand and record for a new club to become the new Cleveland Browns, and the NFL treated them like an expansion team when they really weren't in actuality. But none of that is applicable to the NS Bears situation, and the Ravens are the exception that proves the rule.

The Bears will struggle particularly in this area because they intend to do the insane, and continue to play games in Sydney and attempt to actively engage with their old fanbase in Sydney. Trying to keep a finger in each pie will just lead to a split identity, resentment within the fanbase, and constant media speculation that they'll relocate back to Sydney/NSW, all of which has repeatedly been shown to be a death sentence for a relocated club unless it can be corrected quickly. But the only way you can correct it is by doubling down on the new market which the Bears have repeatedly proven themselves unwilling to do.

Give the Bears the PNG thing. If you are going to go crazy, you may as well go fully crazy

The Great Dane

First Grade
Very good call on James Graham. I actually enjoyed his segment with Benji (Benji Marshall was another one) when they were on NRL 360. The only good thing on that show.

Slater is a good call too. Cronk is a bit too adamant (for want of a better word) A bit like Ennis as well.

In any case, I just put it on mute and save myself the trouble.
Nothing wrong with being confident in your position if you're well informed and able to back it up.

Ennis's problem is that he tries too hard to be one of the boys, if you know what I mean, when really he's above it.

Whether you agree with his position or not, James Graham's speeches on CTE over the years, especially the initial one on privileging the present over future to paraphrase, showed that he's genuinely a formidable intellect and a talented wordsmith. The fact that he hasn't transitioned into a significant career in the media after retiring from footy is a shame.

The sport's image would be much better if he was leading Fox or Nine's line up of pundits instead of your Matty John's, Brandy's, and Gould's. Not that I really have anything against Matty BTW. That sort of comedy isn't my cup of tea, but there's value in having guys like that around.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Freddy`s o.k. I don`t mind him, He`s clean cut, not a bullshitter and doesn`t pretend to be anything other than what he is. He doesn`t revel in the uneducated and proud of it nonsense that some of the others go on with. There could be a lot worse faces for Rugby League than Freddy.
I don't dislike Freddy either, but I assure you that there're many people within our society that judge the sport, and people associated with it, based on his and others carrying on.

Now you can say that that's unfair and elitist, and I'd agree with you, but it is what it is.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Give the Bears the PNG thing. If you are going to go crazy, you may as well go fully crazy
I don't know, I reckon a 'Pasifika Bears' side splitting games between NSO, some of the cities in NZ, Suva, Apia, Nuku'alofa, Noumea, and others on occasion, is even crazier.

Because we both know that that's feasible, and that the first thing you think of when thinking of the PI's are bears lol.

Colk

First Grade
Nothing wrong with being confident in your position if you're well informed and able to back it up.

Ennis's problem is that he tries too hard to be one of the boys, if you know what I mean, when really he's above it.

Whether you agree with his position or not, James Graham's speeches on CTE over the years, especially the initial one on privileging the present over future to paraphrase, showed that he's genuinely a formidable intellect and a talented wordsmith. The fact that he hasn't transitioned into significant career in the media after retiring from footy is a shame.

Apologies. adamant wasn’t the right term. I don’t have a problem with people having strong views - I have strong views so it’s not that.

Perhaps too animated or impassioned are better descriptions. There seems to be little nuance about commentary now, although I could be a little too critical also

Wb1234

Referee

Pass dummy tackle like a forward and be clutch (joey)

Latest posts