What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pride of the League & Arizona

betcats

Referee
I don't know why Rothfield isn't working at HQ. He really does run the place.

:lol:

The NRL hasnt changed much since the ARLC took over. They have a lot more money so are able to get on the front foot and get some positive things done but really the NRL under Grant and Smith is just as re-active and out of touch as it was when f**king Gallop was in charge.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
if i had some spare time i'd have a bit of fun with the below infographic...

1416262835441.jpg

kbw

Bench
It just makes me wonder how many more fun and games have $ouff$ players been up that the "integrity" commission has kept quite.

Sutton is a clown that is lucky to have made RL a career, he would not have made the grade with any other club. Dumb as a housebrick and twice as useless on the field

Rabbits20

Immortal
Auva'a abuses woman - misses one week of off season

Sutton/Burgess overseas incident - sent to bed without dinner

Auva'a was dealt with appropriately and has the correct punishment.

Now Sutton/Burgess will be dealt with.

Maybe Integrity Unit disciplines Sutton by making him sit out the WCC and first 4 weeks of season.

What Luke Burgess did was worse. Badly bruised the bouncers ribs and split his forehead open.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Dealt with appropriately???
Belts his girl, misses a few games then plays the rest of the season and grand final after pleading guilty.
Fugg off it was appropriate.

souths_pride

Juniors
This case is almost identical to the Ray Rice/NFL case (apart from the offences).

-Player gets in trouble
-League investigates and hands down punishment
-Media causes uproar about lack of punishment/cover up
-League re-opens investigation and finds more details
-Hands down steeper punishment
-Commissioner/CEO is forced to defend original investigation and integrity is questioned.

So we are currently at the re-open investigation stage of this case

I know I'm a Souths fan and people are going to called me biased and what not but I have a massive problem with the conduct of the integrity unit. Its there job to investigate the incident thoroughly isn't it? Surely the integrity unit must have known about the police report and what happened? There is no way that any investigative unit worth a grain of salt would base their investigation on hear-say evidence. My question therefore is, upon what basis can the NRL/integrity unit re open the case?

If I were a South Sydney CEO/official, then I would be asking questions as to why they are reopening the case and if they say something along the lines of "well your club with held evidence!", then Souths as a club should have a right to say back "well you were happy with the evidence we presented, punishment handed down and Ok'd everything; what's changed?" If they can't provide a sufficient explanation, then I feel that there should be some resignations from the integrity unit because it just exposes how inept and unprofessional that branch of the NRL is!

God-King Dean

Immortal
I know I'm a Souths fan and people are going to called me biased and what not but I have a massive problem with the conduct of the integrity unit. Its there job to investigate the incident thoroughly isn't it? Surely the integrity unit must have known about the police report and what happened? There is no way that any investigative unit worth a grain of salt would base their investigation on hear-say evidence. My question therefore is, upon what basis can the NRL/integrity unit re open the case?

If I were a South Sydney CEO/official, then I would be asking questions as to why they are reopening the case and if they say something along the lines of "well your club with held evidence!", then Souths as a club should have a right to say back "well you were happy with the evidence we presented, punishment handed down and Ok'd everything; what's changed?" If they can't provide a sufficient explanation, then I feel that there should be some resignations from the integrity unit because it just exposes how inept and unprofessional that branch of the NRL is!

I can't even articulate how geniused this is.

ek999

First Grade
Souths have no obligation to tell the media anything. In fact from a employee confidentiality point of view they morally have done the right thing not disclosing and keeping an employer/employee hr issue to themselves. It's funny how we have a different expectation of a company if they are a sports club. Souths met their nrl obligations by informing the integrity unit, they met their own disciplinary needs by punishing the players involved, the media can get fked as far as I'm concerned. I don't want RL airing its dirty washing on the front page of the telegraph.

Because covering up incidents really works...

Whether a club admits to player wrongdoings or not they are going to come out eventually and when they do the coverage will be 10 times worse. We need to stop being scared of the media and maybe players will finally get it through their heads that this behaviour isn't acceptable

Rabbits20

Immortal
Souths have no obligation to tell the media anything. In fact from a employee confidentiality point of view they morally have done the right thing not disclosing and keeping an employer/employee hr issue to themselves. It's funny how we have a different expectation of a company if they are a sports club. Souths met their nrl obligations by informing the integrity unit, they met their own disciplinary needs by punishing the players involved, the media can get fked as far as I'm concerned. I don't want RL airing its dirty washing on the front page of the telegraph.

Agree mate.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Whether a club admits to player wrongdoings or not they are going to come out eventually and when they do the coverage will be 10 times worse. We need to stop being scared of the media and maybe players will finally get it through their heads that this behaviour isn't acceptable

exactly..

what has occurred overseas is what it is. it can't be changed. i happened 3 months ago.

however, the message provided is where it could have been handled better..

initial report: souths captain drunk & disorderly in a bar. announced just after it happens.

souths position: captaincy stripped, he'll be going corrective behaviour, he apologises to fans for letting them down and this punishment has helped him to learn his lesson.

media response: article saying he's first reigning premiership captain to lose his spot, maybe 2 days of paper noise. certainly not full back page.

public response: "that's sutton being an idiot." forgotten about in 2 months.

instead, we get this:

initial report: souths captain replaced. no real explanation given. 2 months after the incident.

souths position: captaincy given to inglis, sutton to focus on his football.

media response: smell a rat. dig deeper. find true story, weeks of press including back page headlines.

public response: "what else are they covering up?" lasts for weeks.

souths_pride

Juniors

I can't even articulate how geniused this is.

Why? If Souths have done the right thing in reporting the incident, then surely some of the blame has to lie with the integrity unit for not fully investigating the case. How is it that the daily telegraph was able to obtain the police report, but the NRL some how never saw it? Yes the media has played a part, but if the integrity unit had done its job, then the NRL could turn around and say that the matter was fully investigated; case closed!

betcats

Referee

Exactly.

Perth said "I dont want RL airing its dirty laundry in the telegragh" Well despite not telling the media this shit has been all over the tele and other papers for two days now and will be again tomorrow.

The media will do what they do, blame the morons who keep given them negatives to write about.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Dealt with appropriately???
Belts his girl, misses a few games then plays the rest of the season and grand final after pleading guilty.
Fugg off it was appropriate.

Yeah he was. Needed to wait until investigation finished.

Minimum 9 months is appropriate end of story.