What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland side named for game 2

Shorty

Staff member
That was before game one,when neither coaches had found out how shut down either team completely.

The thing about game one was the problems were there for all to see.
But I don't see any moves for improving it,just a blind hope in a very very good player who is coming back from injury.

I don't have any issues with Boyd though - I would have preferred Kemp but there wasn't too much choice of goods.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the differenc eis quinn is a good player and was for eyars before getting picked a few weeks ago. strong, aggressive and is willing to have a go. boyd on the other hand has none of these qualities

Noa

First Grade
That might be your opinion, plenty thought he was just average before game 1.

Darius Boyd wont make or break Queensland, but he'll do better job on Quinn then Brent Tate did.

Charlie124

First Grade
Once again, "when in doubt just pick a bronco", Boyd is barely first grade quality, Hannant was rubbish in game one. Not since David Staggs selection has a QLD jersey been so cheapened.

What happens when Lockyer goes down or has to come off?? all responcibility falls to Thurston again to try to create everything, Smith better pull his ****ing finger out this game and at least look like he's trying.

philstorm

Juniors
I can't believe Hunt is on the bench and not fullback. The argument for Slater being in the team before the first game was that he should be picked on form. But in the last 3 games hes played (vs Souths, NSW, and Bulldogs) he's been ordinary. And Hunt had a great game on Friday night and has been in good form. And he was the only one that showed any heart in the first Origin. And he has combination with Lockyer AND Thurston for f*cks sake.

Slater better play well.

Er, what? He got the Dally M points for the Souths game, was good for the SOO game (say what you like - the last time I checked, he actually tried taking the game to NSW via attacking runs and lineball passes).

hellteam

First Grade
It wasn't Smith's fault. NSW did well because they knew that d*ckhead Archer wouldn't give a penalty for not being square so they did it all game. If Archer gets that in order he'll do well like he has done in every other game of his career.

And yeah, Boyd shouldn't have made it.

kedwav_warrior

Juniors
Happy with Boyd he is a real good player. More happy with Harrison, at last qld selectors are figuring that picking blokes that can only make 40 tackles in a game and nothing else is hurting them. Would have been better to see Johnson get the ass.

Happy prince isnt there either. I think people are just not realising what Greg Bird would do to Scott prince in an origin match. He would be having nightmares about him for years

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I agree with Slater starting. Everyone says his too small, and while he did get belted in the first game you just had to watch hunt get belted on friday night by inu etc. He was throwing balls to his winger to return from kicks- what everyone was criticising slater for. Slater will have a good one- and we'll need him to without hodges there.

Any one think there is a possibility of Hunt starting at 6 to ease Lockyer into it- say 20 minutes in?

Dont agree with Harrison there- would have preffered a big enforcer, possibly Scott Logan or Ben Ross.

Good luck to Boyd- his going to get bombarded. But i'd expect Inglis to be taking the high ones with Boyd running opposition off him. My big worry is that that's where alot of the attack will go. Inglis was using his arms too much in the first game- and I dont really think Boyd is a great defender on the wing. However- with Locks there I'm sure Inglis will see alot more ball in space and earlier.

I honestly think this is an improved side- goo Qlder!

hellteam

First Grade
Er, what? He got the Dally M points for the Souths game, was good for the SOO game (say what you like - the last time I checked, he actually tried taking the game to NSW via attacking runs and lineball passes).

Yeah but in all the games he's played lately he does one good thing, then f*cks something up really badly. He is a confidence player and his confidence is down ever since he had a shaky game for Australia. And it cant afford to be down in Origin.

So he tried taking the game to the NSW by his attacking runs over the sideline AND his lineball passes over the sideline ?

hellteam

First Grade
I agree with Slater starting. Everyone says his too small, and while he did get belted in the first game you just had to watch hunt get belted on friday night by inu etc. He was throwing balls to his winger to return from kicks- what everyone was criticising slater for. Slater will have a good one- and we'll need him to without hodges there.

Any one think there is a possibility of Hunt starting at 6 to ease Lockyer into it- say 20 minutes in?

Dont agree with Harrison there- would have preffered a big enforcer, possibly Scott Logan or Ben Ross.

Good luck to Boyd- his going to get bombarded. But i'd expect Inglis to be taking the high ones with Boyd running opposition off him. My big worry is that that's where alot of the attack will go. Inglis was using his arms too much in the first game- and I dont really think Boyd is a great defender on the wing. However- with Locks there I'm sure Inglis will see alot more ball in space and earlier.

I'd say thats a definate. Maybe thats the reason that Hunt was picked on the bench so he can start at five eight then when Lockyer comes on he can go to fullback if Slater's not having an impact.

Hopefully

philstorm

Juniors
So he tried taking the game to the NSW by his attacking runs over the sideline AND his lineball passes over the sideline ?

Actually, yes.

No-one else was game enough to try and go around the NSW backs bar Slater. The other QLD backs had the policy of 'it's either through them or we don't get across the line'.

As for his single pass over the sideline - whoop dee doo. Why not mention Thurston kicking the ball dead numerous times in attack, or Hunt not kicking at all?

They all made mistakes.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
I'd say thats a definate. Maybe thats the reason that Hunt was picked on the bench so he can start at five eight then when Lockyer comes on he can go to fullback if Slater's not having an impact.

Hopefully

:lol: That's funny.

So you can replace one turnstile with another?

I'd set the over/under on tackles missed from 5/8 at an even dozen.

Shorty

Staff member
My big worry is that that's where alot of the attack will go. Inglis was using his arms too much in the first game- and I dont really think Boyd is a great defender on the wing. However- with Locks there I'm sure Inglis will see alot more ball in space and earlier.

Well our attack will go nowhere if Lockyer does not have a blinder.
I cannot believe stupidity of the selectors.

Meanie

Juniors
Boyd's actually been one of Brisbane's best this year and after Adam Mogg I don't think you should automatically write him off. Still it's a headscratcher, and poor bloody Scott Prince!

abpanther

Staff member
Hey QLD fans, out of curiosity, would you guys prefer Boyd over Mick Gordon?

MilkyAlmighty

Juniors
We'll smash 'em in Origin II. Not the team I would pick but still a very decent squad, Qld will have much better tactics to combat the Blues in match 2 and that Suncorp Stadium ground will be a huge advantage for the Maroons. Looking fwd to next Wednesday evening.

Last edited:

Latest posts