What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Todd Greenberg’s apparent shift from front man to back-up singer during the coronavirus crisis has nothing to do with the NRL CEO’s performance, insists ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys.

The Racing NSW boss has been the prominent voice, and face, of the NRL’s fight for survival in recent weeks.

V’landys has received rave reviews since taking over from Peter Beattie in October.

In contrast, Greenberg has copped the brunt of the blame for the code’s perilous financial position after it was revealed the NRL could go broke if the 2020 season is abandoned.

The smooth-talking former Canterbury Bulldogs CEO has also been far less visible in the media, with V’landys seemingly on the news every night and quoted in back-page stories daily.
There were whispers the relationship between Greenberg and V’landys had already started to sour long before COVID-19 changed everything.

But V’landys told Fairfax Media his decision to take a more visible role is ‘nothing to do with or about Todd’.

He added adding he was simply honouring the promise he made to ‘only come out when there was an emergency situation’ at his first press conference as ARL Commission chairman.

Greenberg’s current contract expires at the end of October.

The 49-year-old had hoped to secure a two-year extension before the start of the 2020 NRL season but was unable to gain the support of the ARL Commission.

V’landys added Greenberg’s future has not been mentioned in recent weeks as both men set about saving the code.

Meanwhile, Greenberg on Friday dismissed suggestions he is a ‘dead man walking’ and thanked V’landys for his assistance.

"I've got to say we've had great support from our chairman Peter V'landys and the entire commission,” Greenberg said.

"We feel very supported and I think I'm encouraged by the fact that there’s been so much support to try to drive the game forward.

Of course, there's going to be criticism. I'm a realist, I take that criticism primarily in the title and in the role that comes with the game.”

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...eenberg-speculation/7y6ots7xgy251kyy6ul5j7use

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another fluff piece from news ltd hacks.

Yet, after almost two weeks of uncertainty that would’ve normally induced in- fighting, the game appears more united than ever in its bid to survive.

When clubs were guaranteed three months of grants worth a combined $60 million on Monday, V’landys was hailed for making the clubs a priority.

One club boss, who wished to remain anonymous, said he’d never seen more inspiring leadership from another administrator in his 15 years in the game.

“He done a wonderful job last week. He thought of the clubs. We were all going to get less payments until he stepped in,” the club boss said.

We’re going to survive.

“It’s the first time for a decade that you’ve had in somebody there that realises the customer is the most important person, and that’s the football clubs.

“It’s a godsend that he came. I don’t know where we’d be if he hadn’t arrived.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/f471bf959455829f57ce0349a6124488

The clubs are united for now. I picture them adrift in a lifeboat. The longer it takes to get rescued, the more likely the weaker ones will get eaten.

Cactus

Juniors
We were all going to get less payments until he stepped in,” the club boss said.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/f471bf959455829f57ce0349a6124488

That really does come across as something said by someone who would be mad at the Government if they had missed out on stimulus handouts or some other type of welfare. Pretty indicative of clubland attitude.

And could this be the most over used phrase by Telegraph ever: "one club boss who wished to remain anonymous"

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another divisory piece by Paul Crawley News Ltd in yesterdays Telecrap. Makes you wonder the way they are desperately trying to destabilise both codes of Rugby with the attacks on the CEO's and general negative commentary if this is an opportunity Murdoch is seizing to enact his desire to see AFL the most dominant football code in Australia?

Cactus

Juniors
Another divisory piece by Paul Crawley News Ltd in yesterdays Telecrap. Makes you wonder the way they are desperately trying to destabilise both codes of Rugby with the attacks on the CEO's and general negative commentary if this is an opportunity Murdoch is seizing to enact his desire to see AFL the most dominant football code in Australia?

Could well be.

I have also had a vague sense that ever since that Murdoch press conference dummy spit, he hasnt exactly been at the top of his game. Maybe its also a case of the old rupes is getting on and he realizes he doesnt quite have the market domination advantage any longer.

Empires have to falter eventually.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Putsch
Posted on April 9, 2020by bendanrobham
Channel 9 is no friend of rugby league.

Firstly, recently they told the NRL they wanted to ‘rip up’ the contract for broadcasting the game, based on the fact that they weren’t getting games this year. Today they’ve arguedthey haven’t been consulted enough in recent deliberations to get the game on, and claimed rugby league has been run poorly, threatening to not fulfil their obligations as broadcaster.

This is now forming a clear part of an attempt to get Todd Greenberg to resign.

It’s so glaringly notable because of the comically hyperbolic language being used by the proponents. Channel 9 suggests a ‘bloated’ NRL administration has ‘wasted millions of dollars’. It suggests it won’t show the games (because it has so much else on right now) and it has put the blame at Todd Greenberg’s feet. There’s been the hilarious suggestions that Phil “I lost the Panthers $40m” Gould or Wayne “I’ve never run anything but the Knights into the ground” Bennett take over.

It’s pretty clear that despite many flaws, Greenberg has been an effective administrator of the NRL. Rugby league has increased its revenue from around $120m a year to over $500m in 2019 over Greenberg’s tenure. He was part of the team that landed the historic broadcast rights deal that is currently the source of so much consternation. He made the right calls in supporting the marriage equality push, and has brought the game into the 21st century on a range of social issues. Greenberg has been quietly building rugby league into the clear second-biggest winter sport in the country, and with more time and more expansion they could be the clear “NBA” to the AFL’s “NFL”.
Channel 9 have aimed their ire at Greenberg down for several reasons. Firstly, it seems clear from the focus of their ire that Greenberg stands between them and renegotiating the broadcasting deal. Channel 9 in particular seem keen to keep the $130m they think they’ll save from not broadcasting this season. V’Landys has indicated his willingness to renegotiate the deal, for reasons that aren’t really clear to me.

In the short term, they want to save money, and it doesn’t matter to them if they have to trash the NRL in order to get it. What tremendous partners in the game.

In the longer term they may preparing justifications to be out on rugby league, which good luck to them, because all that matters on commercial TV is live sport, and they will soon have none. Rugby league remains the highest rating program on television in Australia – and if you’re not making money from that the issue of management shouldn’t be laid at the league’s feet. Nine announced half-year profits of $114m, because it had high tv ratings. Rugby league was a huge part of that. I would admit that their most recent outburst would normally sink a relationship with an organisation, but it’s too focused on Greenberg for me to take it as swipe at the game. More likely is that they are simply seeking to make rugby league even more profitable, and are using the Covid-19 crisis as an opportunity to make this push.

This has also been supported by criticisms from the clubs. It’s comical for anyone to argue that NRL HQ is the source of rugby league’s issue when the clubs are given 130% of the salary cap and most are still losing money. But putting the blame firmly on the head of Greenberg allows clubs to escape scrutiny from the people that keep them alive – you – for their inept administrative approaches.

It seems to me that Peter V’Landys supports this manoeuvring to have Greenberg removed. He’s barely rebuked any external criticisms of his partner, and responded to Channel 9’s almost crazy criticism of Greenberg by suggesting in this discussion that V’Landys thinks they “will do a deal”, which suggests to me that discussion has already happened between him and the broadcaster. He’s been clear that his view of expansion is giving the broadcasters what they immediately want (another team in the high rating market of Brisbane) instead of what they need (teams in other timezones like Perth or New Zealand).

It sounds conspiratorial to suggest V’Landys is supportive of this putsch, but his tendency to set up processes that will create issues he can publicly “squash” is behaviour indicative of someone wanting to be positioned as the saviour of problems he creates. Earlier leaks that Greenberg was resigning didn’t come from Todd, and V’Landys is set to benefit most from having more influence at NRL HQ.

Ultimately this will end with Greenberg’s demise. It’s a shame, but when all the sources of power in the game are aiming at you there seems little other option. What will be interesting is when Todd is gone, what happens to the guns currently pointed at him?

https://nospam48.wordpress.com/2020/04/09/the-putsch/

Perth Red

Post Whore
So much for a ball breaking fearless leader. Turns to jelly just like the rest of them when the tv companies start pssing on the game.

The ARCL Commission chairman Peter V'landys says he is determined to do whatever it takes to repair what can only be described as a frictious partnership with the free-to-air TV giant.
“We value Channel Nine and Hugh Marks as our broadcast partner and I’ll do everything in my power to keep our broadcast partner happy.”"If there's been miscommunication and Channel Nine feel they haven't been part of the process, absolutely (I apologise)," V'landys told The Nine Network.
"There's no doubt that the cost structure that's in place for the game at the moment is unsustainable, so that (criticism) is accurate."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-arl...relationship-with-channel-nine-225331622.html

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Is that cost structure the digital arm....is Greenberg a supporter of this? V'landys has said he doesn't value it highly and the broadcasters see it as a competitor, good for league bad for them.

I can see the attacks on Greenberg, the attacks on overspending aimed at wasted money on the digital arm,. V'landys has a very close relationship with News Ltd going back years. You can see the way they keep gushing over him in articles. He's going to do a deal.

They will sell it off and league will be the loser.

Roy Masters article is pretty much on the money
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...but-for-how-long-20200325-p54dpd.html?ref=rss

Rugby League as a sport is pretty much doomed if they go against nine or news ltd, they will be constantly bagged unless they do what the broadcasters want. They killed off Smith and Grant because they wanted what was best for the game not the broadcasters, now they have Greenberg in their sights.

I despair.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is that cost structure the digital arm....is Greenberg a supporter of this? V'landys has said he doesn't value it highly and the broadcasters see it as a competitor, good for league bad for them.

I can see the attacks on Greenberg, the attacks on overspending aimed at wasted money on the digital arm,. V'landys has a very close relationship with News Ltd going back years. You can see the way they keep gushing over him in articles. He's going to do a deal.

They will sell it off and league will be the loser.

Roy Masters article is pretty much on the money
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...but-for-how-long-20200325-p54dpd.html?ref=rss

Rugby League as a sport is pretty much doomed if they go against nine or news ltd, they will be constantly bagged unless they do what the broadcasters want. They killed off Smith and Grant because they wanted what was best for the game not the broadcasters, now they have Greenberg in their sights.

I despair.

and what’s worse is they’ve now got their insider man in Vlandys to do their bidding it would seem.

Spot On

Coach

I despair.

Where do you want them to go?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I want them to be independent and get the best deal for the game, however they are between a rock and a hard place, if they do what news ltd and nine want they treat them well if they don't they start a relentless media campaign to discredit them as they are doing with Greenberg now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Te media are off the rails at the moment eng. The way they are going after the two rugby codes is scandalous. Not sure what’s happening in afl land but doubt they are getting the same rough ride. Why? Because media know they won’t get away with it.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Te media are off the rails at the moment eng. The way they are going after the two rugby codes is scandalous. Not sure what’s happening in afl land but doubt they are getting the same rough ride. Why? Because media know they won’t get away with it.
What outcome would be best for both codes ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What outcome would be best for both codes ?

not going bankrupt, not caving in to tv demands at a time of weakness, getting up and running again as soon as genuinely safe to do so, better longer term planning.

for NRL I would include reigning in the clubs. End of day no one cares if nrl hq has to lay off some staff but if clubs go under there’s outrage. That’s the clubs responsibility and they have had long enough to sort their sht out and Havent. Time for nrl to step up and run the show, not let self interested commissioners and lobby groups dictate.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Peter V'landys has done some great things for racing in terms of promotion and making money. But don't be fooled, no one is going to clean it up. Racing is nothing more than a venture for mugs and criminals.
So to be successful he has to be able to manage mugs and criminals and most likely everything in between.
I would think he isn't being questions is a bit to do with the respect he has gained and also the powerful people he has successfully dealt with.
The others like John Grant were just plain half wits

I want them to be independent and get the best deal for the game, however they are between a rock and a hard place, if they do what news ltd and nine want they treat them well if they don't they start a relentless media campaign to discredit them as they are doing with Greenberg now.

Hope the NRL go to Ten or somewhere else. I’m all for free press and shit but maybe the NRL can take away press access privileges. Kent froth at the mouth all he likes but with little to no footy content, no one will be watching his show to hear it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Peter V'landys has done some great things for racing in terms of promotion and making money. But don't be fooled, no one is going to clean it up. Racing is nothing more than a venture for mugs and criminals.
So to be successful he has to be able to manage mugs and criminals and most likely everything in between.
I would think he isn't being questions is a bit to do with the respect he has gained and also the powerful people he has successfully dealt with.
The others like John Grant were just plain half wits

grnat is a very successful businessman. He can’t be that half witted?

taste2taste

Juniors
Gus Gould has given VLandys his approval :D I can't remember the last time Gus had anything positive to say about anyone in charge.

V’landys is a true leader. So too is Marks. It’s my belief in both these men that assures me rugby league will come out the other side of this disaster a better game, with a brighter future.

and

I have great confidence in these men leading the game into a new world. It is a world that will extend way beyond my lifetime. For the first time in a long time, though, I believe the game is in very good hands.

We will bounce back.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ni...e-game-needed-to-hear-it-20200410-p54iyc.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys getting another free pass from his old mate Kent. Either he owes Vlandys fir something or Vlandys is news ltd stooge?

The NRL – and in particular – CEO Todd Greenberg have come under fire after Channel 9 launched a scathing attack earlier in the week on Greenberg’s mismanagement of finances.

Speaking on Triple M Rocks NRL, James Hooper detailed how Nine’s statement was received by the NRL. He said Greenberg wasn’t too fazed by it because he’s not interested in being well-liked.

However, Paul Kent isn’t buying it. He sensationally called for the “totally delusional” Greenberg to resign from the top job because he has burned bridges with Nine – the NRL’s second biggest funder behind Fox Sports.
It’s all bullshit in all honesty,” Kent said on Triple M Rocks NRL.

“To sit down and say ‘it’s water off a ducks back, I’m not here to be popular’ when your game’s second biggest funder … to sit there and dismiss the criticism is delusional, totally delusional.

“I don’t think there’s anywhere for Todd Greenberg to go except for to resign because the fact is Channel 9 have clearly indicated they’ve got no faith in him, he’s already on the outs with News Limited with the way he’s handled things in recent times.”
Kent went on to reveal he had been in contact with a number of clubs who would push for Greenberg to resign if they were called on by the ARLC commission.

“I spoke to some clubs this week, and I said to the clubs ‘would you move as a group to get Todd to resign given the game’s greatest funders have got no faith in him?’ And they said ‘we can do that and if the board want us to do that we’ll do that’.

“They’ve lost faith as well. ‘If the commission wants us to do it, we will do it but we have faith in Peter V’landys to do the right thing, so we’ll just leave it to Peter to see what gets done’.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/73837b25d94af2094095c901cd81daab

Latest posts