What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jim_57

Staff member
waah the great afl being told off waah

The cries from the "V'Landys is Zeus and I will never be told otherwise" side of this thread are just as bad really.

Excuse me if I'm sceptical but I'd wager 99% of medium-long term successful Chairmen have walked, talked and breathed like you'd expect a Chairman to. There's something off-putting to me about one that acts like he's trying to sound like your mate from the pub.

franklin2323

Immortal
PR still believing there is a long line of media conglomerates who would have paid the NRL billions for the TV rights. Lol.

How's Cricket Australia tracking PR. Seven West media? Rushing in to pay top dollar???

At least big Pete has started to razor away at Todd's largese at head office. 80 million in savings identified so far.

Rip the shit out of the joint Pete.

He really does have no idea how the real world works

Yep
When there's only 2 bidders .
One for STv & one for FTA then you sit down & thrash out the best deal possible
This nutter from Perth has been told that over & over yet still has this imaginary scenario where media companies were lining up to buy the rights but were ignored for Fox & 9
I've asked him before to name these mythical media companies .
He couldn't answer .
His hatred of anything PVL has made his posting comical

Yep
When there's only 2 bidders .
One for STv & one for FTA then you sit down & thrash out the best deal possible
This nutter from Perth has been told that over & over yet still has this imaginary scenario where media companies were lining up to buy the rights but were ignored for Fox & 9
I've asked him before to name these mythical media companies .
He couldn't answer .
His hatred of anything PVL has made his posting comical
any half wit would agree PVL is great for our game.... unfortunately "Sleepy Joe Perth Red" has other ideas.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I wonder how money QLD govt wasted.. not like it can bring tourists in.
Depends which teams are playing. SA borders are open to Qld and Port Adelaide are on top of the ladder. They might get 10k make the trip up. The AFL mentioned $12m in ticket revenue which means they are going to change the usual $400. So, if Brisbane or Port Adelaide are not playing they will struggle to sell even 30k tickets.

franklin2323

Immortal
Depends which teams are playing. SA borders are open to Qld and Port Adelaide are on top of the ladder. They might get 10k make the trip up. The AFL mentioned $12m in ticket revenue which means they are going to change the usual $400. So, if Brisbane or Port Adelaide are not playing they will struggle to sell even 30k tickets.

Don't they have reduced capacity anyway up there?

Corporates, members always get 1st crack so you have limited tickets for the General Public.. so not sure the business case stacks up

T-Boon

Coach
We can't ignore PVs obvious interest in improving the game on the field.

If we can improve the game on the field by unphucking what the coaches have done over the last 20 years it would be huge for the game. That will be the biggest driver of growth within NSW, QLD & NZ (we need to convert rugby fans) and also expanding outside in non traditional RL areas.

PV needs to go back to speaking out about the wrestle and how deplorable the ruck area of the game has become. He needs to keep listening to and implementing rule change ideas designed to get the game play back to being entertaining.

I agree with PV about getting Brisbane right first. It is an embarrassment to the game that there is only one Brisbane team. Fix that up straight away - for the 2021 season.
I also think expanding into NZ is a better short term option than expanding into Perth. Perth has blown its chances recently (lets not forget it rejected Rugby which was probably an equal chance of succeeding as RL over there).

MugaB

Coach
We can't ignore PVs obvious interest in improving the game on the field.

If we can improve the game on the field by unphucking what the coaches have done over the last 20 years it would be huge for the game. That will be the biggest driver of growth within NSW, QLD & NZ (we need to convert rugby fans) and also expanding outside in non traditional RL areas.

PV needs to go back to speaking out about the wrestle and how deplorable the ruck area of the game has become. He needs to keep listening to and implementing rule change ideas designed to get the game play back to being entertaining.

I agree with PV about getting Brisbane right first. It is an embarrassment to the game that there is only one Brisbane team. Fix that up straight away - for the 2021 season.
I also think expanding into NZ is a better short term option than expanding into Perth. Perth has blown its chances recently (lets not forget it rejected Rugby which was probably an equal chance of succeeding as RL over there).
I agree with all what you've said, but i still feel we should have had a Perth and Adelaide team by now, since 1999 the NRL has just been going backwards, hopefully in the next decade, something should happen in regards to expanding into more of the markets where we are not at the moment, aswell as making QLD & P.I. stronger or atleast more pathways for those areas to branch into

taipan

Referee
Again you talk in absolutes which is just nonsense. I had hope in Smith, I never had much in Greenberg. I liked Greenbergs ability to increase our revenue and start to close the massive gap on our rivals but he didnt seem to have much strategic direction or vision. News wnated Smith gone, he was gone. Ch9 wanted greenberg gone, he was gone. Our game is controlled by Tv companies as much now as it was in 1997. Pss weak.

Unfortunate? lol. It was unnecessary, unprofessional and damaging. Take off the man love Vlad glasses and call it for what it was. f**k me your going back to 1995 to try and justify his lack of professionalism? That'll do me.

Why do I talk up the AFL? Because they are bloody good at their job in a lot of areas and are performing a lot better in many areas than us. Id swap our leadership of the last 20 years for theirs any day of the week.
Imagine if we had:
$300million a year more revenue
avg crowds over 30k
owned a major asset
Had 2 clubs in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide
Owned the media rather being owned by the media
Had Govt falling over itself to help us

Right there is leadership we lack, but anyway we are off track as this thread is about Vlandys so I wont be responding to any more questions on AFL or my personal opinions on previous CEO's lol.

You can't handle facts.You continue to act like these armchair generals who have never tasted combat, and put pins on maps for their troops to go out and get zapped.The old WW2 saying about Patton."My guts ,his glory."
LOL Politicians come on board and give people hope, and 9 times out of 10 they fail to deliver.Smith delivered alright, a big fat lazy est.$500m to the AFL over 5 years.
You're amazing you gave Greenberg heaps ,and deservedly so at times, now because that evil Darth Vader Chairman gave him the big A, you cry that he's been hardly done by.

News wanted Smith gone. that's no scoop, so did quite a few clubs(after all clubs do make up the comp),he had little empathy for the people in the game.He had zero experience of the game.I don't care whether he couldn't remember players' names.SMH and 9 were not happy with Greenberg, well it appears judging by the amount of waste that is being cut by Abdo & co ,Greenberg spent on things that were either overdone, not necessary and jobs for the boys mentality.IOW no organisation can afford such waste, especially in times like COVID.You seem to be of the opinion that COVID is a passing faze and we should continue as per normal, judging by some of your past loony posts.

Damaging? You have the temerity to call it damaging(the spoken word) LOL.
I tell you what was damaging,a club that just joined the new competition ,and in its very first year defected to Super League.This SL war cost the code all its cash assets, many friendships, and in the end clubs themselves.And you compare that with V'landys saying AFL is a rusted on AFL state(which it is) and money is better spent in heartland states under pressure(which they are.

Yet with all that money the AFL had and crowds. and so called professionalism and all teh points you lovingly throw at us:-
1) they were left behind in getting their competition up and running by the NRL.,Two weeks additional revenue running into extra $40m plus.We led they followed.

2) They continue to pour huge sums into clubs in the North,that continue to bleed their shrinking coffers,and have made very little difference to Nth TV ratings.

3) They tried to get involved in NZ and we know how that ended up.

4) They tried a SOO it failed ,and even now some want to have it.

5)They have spent decent sums overseas for ages.They still have no semi pro or pro comps overseas despite all the money.

6) They gave a big wrap to their Chinese experiment, and got caught out with the crowd figures.They then claimed the crowd were in marquees.You couldn't script that stuff.

7) At no stage in their existence have they had any war ,that depleted their cash reserves, or had a brand new club jump into a rebel comp to help deplete those reserves.

8)The AFL have sycophantic media behind them and at times the police in their heartlands have been far too lenient with players 'incidents offield.

9)With all their assets that you lavishly swoon over ,the AFL found the need to seek a $600m Loan from ANZ and NAB and which they will be spending a decent part of it, as indicated by Melbourne media and the Australian/sports media. V'Landys has advised because they have the comp up and running when it did and continuing ,they will not need the line of credit.
The media earlier on made a big noise about the AFL with all their monetary power would be little affected by COVID.If BS were bees ,they'd have an apiary.

10) Prior to the SL War, rugby league was on a par with the AFL .In fact the RL had more in cash assets than the AFL.Your club (a brand new guest)sir and mine and others decided in 95 to join a rebel comp ,and all that money was gonski.

Yet you in your whining wisdom continue to sing the praises of the AFL.
You should be hiding in the shadows instead of cringingly boot licking an organisation, that seized the moment, when rugby league was down for the count.That was/is one of the underlying factors of why AFL is where it is today.If you disagree with that point ,might I humbly suggest you have NFI.

Let me also suggest ,if there had been no SL War, would we be where we are today,I'd venture to say you'd be watching a Red's team and there would also be a 2nd Brisbane team in place.And the AFL would not have had the leg up it got, and be struggling more in the North.

mongoose

Coach
The cries from the "V'Landys is Zeus and I will never be told otherwise" side of this thread are just as bad really.

Excuse me if I'm sceptical but I'd wager 99% of medium-long term successful Chairmen have walked, talked and breathed like you'd expect a Chairman to. There's something off-putting to me about one that acts like he's trying to sound like your mate from the pub.

hE StOoD uP to AfL iN mEdIA, He iZ dA GrEaTesT!!

Jamberoo

Juniors
Don't they have reduced capacity anyway up there?

Corporates, members always get 1st crack so you have limited tickets for the General Public.. so not sure the business case stacks up
The capacity for the game has been set by the Qld govt at 30k. Members still pay full price. And corporates pay more than average, so if it sells out, the numbers stack up. If West Coast play a Vic side or GWS, it won’t sell out at $400 a ticket.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I agree with all what you've said, but i still feel we should have had a Perth and Adelaide team by now, since 1999 the NRL has just been going backwards, hopefully in the next decade, something should happen in regards to expanding into more of the markets where we are not at the moment, aswell as making QLD & P.I. stronger or atleast more pathways for those areas to branch into
Adelaide had huge crowds in their first season 1997 - averaged over 15k. South Australians are the most parochial people in the nation. A team there would work.
If the NRL want to go nationwide, teams in WA and SA would work in terms of crowds and public interest. The costs, travel and times zones make it all to difficult,

Last edited:
A few years ago the Brisbane Lions were in debt to the tune of $14 million. That's the risk that comes with expanding into enemy territory. AwFuL is lucky to have friends in high places to bail them out when they get themselves in trouble.

RL does not have friends in high places to bail us out.

Greenberg and Smith should have gotten 5 to 10 years for pissing the game's money up a wall.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You can't handle facts.You continue to act like these armchair generals who have never tasted combat, and put pins on maps for their troops to go out and get zapped.The old WW2 saying about Patton."My guts ,his glory."
LOL Politicians come on board and give people hope, and 9 times out of 10 they fail to deliver.Smith delivered alright, a big fat lazy est.$500m to the AFL over 5 years.
You're amazing you gave Greenberg heaps ,and deservedly so at times, now because that evil Darth Vader Chairman gave him the big A, you cry that he's been hardly done by.

News wanted Smith gone. that's no scoop, so did quite a few clubs(after all clubs do make up the comp),he had little empathy for the people in the game.He had zero experience of the game.I don't care whether he couldn't remember players' names.SMH and 9 were not happy with Greenberg, well it appears judging by the amount of waste that is being cut by Abdo & co ,Greenberg spent on things that were either overdone, not necessary and jobs for the boys mentality.IOW no organisation can afford such waste, especially in times like COVID.You seem to be of the opinion that COVID is a passing faze and we should continue as per normal, judging by some of your past loony posts.

Damaging? You have the temerity to call it damaging(the spoken word) LOL.
I tell you what was damaging,a club that just joined the new competition ,and in its very first year defected to Super League.This SL war cost the code all its cash assets, many friendships, and in the end clubs themselves.And you compare that with V'landys saying AFL is a rusted on AFL state(which it is) and money is better spent in heartland states under pressure(which they are.

Yet with all that money the AFL had and crowds. and so called professionalism and all teh points you lovingly throw at us:-
1) they were left behind in getting their competition up and running by the NRL.,Two weeks additional revenue running into extra $40m plus.We led they followed.

2) They continue to pour huge sums into clubs in the North,that continue to bleed their shrinking coffers,and have made very little difference to Nth TV ratings.

3) They tried to get involved in NZ and we know how that ended up.

4) They tried a SOO it failed ,and even now some want to have it.

5)They have spent decent sums overseas for ages.They still have no semi pro or pro comps overseas despite all the money.

6) They gave a big wrap to their Chinese experiment, and got caught out with the crowd figures.They then claimed the crowd were in marquees.You couldn't script that stuff.

7) At no stage in their existence have they had any war ,that depleted their cash reserves, or had a brand new club jump into a rebel comp to help deplete those reserves.

8)The AFL have sycophantic media behind them and at times the police in their heartlands have been far too lenient with players 'incidents offield.

9)With all their assets that you lavishly swoon over ,the AFL found the need to seek a $600m Loan from ANZ and NAB and which they will be spending a decent part of it, as indicated by Melbourne media and the Australian/sports media. V'Landys has advised because they have the comp up and running when it did and continuing ,they will not need the line of credit.
The media earlier on made a big noise about the AFL with all their monetary power would be little affected by COVID.If BS were bees ,they'd have an apiary.

10) Prior to the SL War, rugby league was on a par with the AFL .In fact the RL had more in cash assets than the AFL.Your club (a brand new guest)sir and mine and others decided in 95 to join a rebel comp ,and all that money was gonski.

Yet you in your whining wisdom continue to sing the praises of the AFL.
You should be hiding in the shadows instead of cringingly boot licking an organisation, that seized the moment, when rugby league was down for the count.That was/is one of the underlying factors of why AFL is where it is today.If you disagree with that point ,might I humbly suggest you have NFI.

Let me also suggest ,if there had been no SL War, would we be where we are today,I'd venture to say you'd be watching a Red's team and there would also be a 2nd Brisbane team in place.And the AFL would not have had the leg up it got, and be struggling more in the North.

too long to read,lol