What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Munted

Bench
I agree with you! Believe me, I'm on your side! Its Peter V'landys that needs convincing. My point was that Peter V'landys is constantly changing his explanation of why he introduced these new protocols and one of the reasons he gave was that he fears litigation being taken against the game. I'm countering this by saying that if a player can take legal action for the after-effects of concussion, then what is top stop him taking legal actions for the effects of other long term injuries?

You have hit the nail on the head. Everyone just needs to accept that rugby league is highly physical sport and incidental concussions are going to happen.
100% on the same page brother.
I guess its like those storys of players who have been forgotten by the NRL once an injury cut a career down early. Taniela Tuiaki for example. I'm sure if a lawyer looked hard enough they could find some way to twist it into being a lack of duty of care from the club/NRL and allowing him to return playing prior to his body healing in time.

Who is verifying that these guys are in fact ready to play after an injury? "just a cork, he'll be right" could be just as threatening as a concussion.

Maybe PVL should watch Varsity Blues to see what happens when a coach pressures injured guys into playing. It will scare the living shit out of him! Litigation! :)

souths_reborn

Juniors
100% on the same page brother.
I guess its like those storys of players who have been forgotten by the NRL once an injury cut a career down early. Taniela Tuiaki for example. I'm sure if a lawyer looked hard enough they could find some way to twist it into being a lack of duty of care from the club/NRL and allowing him to return playing prior to his body healing in time.

Who is verifying that these guys are in fact ready to play after an injury? "just a cork, he'll be right" could be just as threatening as a concussion.

Maybe PVL should watch Varsity Blues to see what happens when a coach pressures injured guys into playing. It will scare the living shit out of him! Litigation! :)
That is another good point! I think someone raised the point of there needing to be a mandatory two week break or a concept similar to that in boxing before you are allowed to resume playing again. There is certainly not a lot of formal diligence around players resuming playing after they have sustained a concussion.

With all that being said, I do not think Peter V'landys has any real rationale for this crackdown. He doesn't want to admit it but what he did was a knee-jerk reaction to the Dylan Brown incident. Trent Robinson went on the offensive and Peter V'landys didn't want to look incompetent so he rushed into something without thinking it through thoroughly. This is reinforced through the varying reasons which he continues to put forward for the crackdown which thus far include:
  • Litigation being taken against the NRL
  • Parents not letting their children play due to "safety concerns"
  • Protecting the players' safety
  • Government intervention in banning the sport
In short, this is what happens when you act without thinking things through and consulting relevant stakeholders - your agenda becomes all murky and you end up with a solution that creates more problems than it solves.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/so...-for-high-shot-crackdown-20210528-p57w5a.html

Something doesn’t add up in V’landys’ case for high-shot crackdown
29b8785009d0a7b2a6436d8d628ed2c6ae33d36d

By Roy Masters
May 31, 2021 — 5.00am

However, the states insist the cuts are “ongoing”, with the QRL’s Bruce Hatcher saying “we are 20 per cent worse off” and NSWRL’s David Trodden claiming a 25 per cent cut.

Furthermore, both state bodies dispute playing numbers have fallen, with Trodden supplying a graph that clearly shows male registrations in club competitions in 2021 are already 0.5 per cent ahead of the final year numbers for 2019 and 4.31 per cent ahead of year-to-date numbers for 2019.

In fact, he projects a final year number of 87,415, which means registrations would have recovered to 2015 levels.

Hatcher says: “We’ve had an increase in participation in all areas, except the schools, which is the jurisdiction of the NRL.”

PVL briefly concedes: “We have dropped the ball in the schools.”

6aeb3087fdae41567e0c69694d9e32b6e358933e

Participation rates among girls are on the rise, but those numbers are off a low base.CREDIT:ANNA WARR

But this will be addressed by an ambitious re-routing of funds to “Project Climb” where development officers will be assigned away from NRL administration to the states. It’s true there is considerable duplication with talented Brisbane schoolboys visited by three development officers – one employed by the NRL, another by the QRL and a third by the Broncos.

“My biggest concern is the millions of dollars we have spent on participation with little result,” PVL says, quoting grant figures that are confidential.

“The results are poor but we’re not cutting back. The states will get a fair whack of the $40m assigned to Project Climb and it will mean they will gain an overall increase in funding.

“But the decline in participation has nothing to do with funding.”

17a0bddfd41ee33fd17d5b5c043e1bbf61a1ff53

Peter V’landys is a numbers man but is he using slippery figures or reliable stats?CREDIT:DOMINIC LORRIMER

What about those rising NSWRL male participation numbers? “They are only year-to-date figures,” he says, claiming only actual end-of-year figures can be used in comparisons.

Hmm. Well, what about the exponential rise in the number of female participants in both states? “The figures are off a low base,” PVL says, which the states concede.

OK, but if NRL head injuries are related to a declining numbers of juniors playing, why are mothers letting their daughters play in record numbers but not their sons?

PVL again resorts to numbers. “What is a registration? I haven’t scrutinised the figures but the males are genuine figures. Are some of the females tag players?”

Asked about the validity of the data, Trodden says: “Some of the females play 13-a-side league tag, as opposed to full contact but, save for that qualification, they are full-season registered club participants.”

With numbers of registered female participants in NSW doubling to 22,473 in only five years, surely there are some mothers allowing their daughters to tackle? Hatcher, who was watching a female game as we spoke, is excited for its future, despite declaring it “underfunded”.

PVL counters with the “Hallelujah” messages he is receiving from the mothers of junior rugby league players following his crackdown on head injuries.

Although a data-driven person, PVL concedes “perception” is a powerful force.

‘But the decline in participation has nothing to do with funding.’

Peter V’landys
For scientific evidence that the junior game is a different beast to the NRL and very safe, it’s relevant to cite a study led by Dr Rhonda Orr of Sydney University, published last year in the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport.

The only non-anecdotal study ever done of injuries across a large cohort of all-age Australian community junior rugby league players, male and female, over a season, it reported: “Injury prevalence (5.9 injuries/1000 player hours), was lower than previously reported, suggesting the sport has not become more dangerous for junior players.”

It would make good reading for rugby league’s man of numbers.

Tweed Titan

Bench
PVL is a dictator and all dictators eventually get deposed.

He doesn't listen to others and just uses the fallback line you can't please everyone when things go south.

News flash PVL - it isn't a minority that disapprove of your recent changes and if the origin games are ruined because of it your support will thin faster than Sterlo's hair did in the 90's.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
. He doesn't want to admit it but what he did was a knee-jerk reaction to the Dylan Brown incident. Trent Robinson went on the offensive and Peter V'landys didn't want to look incompetent so he rushed into something without thinking it through thoroughly.

I don't know about that. Hutchinson had knees in the back, not a concussion incident at all. There was actually a directive during the week before the Roosters Eels game that sin bins would be used for high shots, 2 weeks before Magic Round.

It was actually PVL and Abdo re-writing history that this was brought in for the week of the magic round, because they didn't follow their own directions when Teddy was smacked in the face on the same play.

blaza88z

Coach
It would have been quite embarrassing for the NRL to initially completely miss an incident which resulted in a very serious injury

If it didn't happen before half-time and they didn't have the opportunity to see him wheeled into an ambulance, does he even go on report?

reanimate

Bench
They went nuclear on Triple M about this ( Hooper, Kent, Tallis ) apparently its DCE and Luke Kleary doing the mud raking behind the scenes.
Kleary of all people should be happy for the crackdown, one more concussion and he'll be joining his mate Jake Friend in an early reinterment.
Anyways, the Triple M boys thought the players are idiots and can't be saved from their own stupidity. Tallis suggested if the players want head high tackles in the game they need to sign contracts saying they'll never sue the NRL when they are 60 and drawing ducks on the wall and trying to feed them :D :D ( classic one liner )

Interesting Danny Wielder wrote few weeks back players during Magic Round were walking up to Vlandys and shaking his hand and thanking him for finally doing something about high shots. So what is it ? Do they hate or love Vlandys :/
Their joke solution should be the real solution. Sit down with lawyers and draw up an agreement that players sign in addition to NRL contracts that they recognise the dangers of playing the sport and the injury risks associated with it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez what a front man for the game, with friends like this who needs enemies?

What about those rising NSWRL male participation numbers? “They are only year-to-date figures,” he says, claiming only actual end-of-year figures can be used in comparisons.

Hmm. Well, what about the exponential rise in the number of female participants in both states? “The figures are off a low base,” PVL says, which the states concede.

OK, but if NRL head injuries are related to a declining numbers of juniors playing, why are mothers letting their daughters play in record numbers but not their sons?

PVL again resorts to numbers. “What is a registration? I haven’t scrutinised the figures but the males are genuine figures. Are some of the females tag players?”

Way to talk up positive news about grassroots growth!!
Masters is the only Journo willing to take Vlandys to task!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
What the judge said about Vlandys at his court case:

'The judge’s impression of the program was that, overall, “the regulators, including Mr V’Landys, did not really know what was going on; that their ‘data’ was inaccurate and unreliable and … ineffective and inadequately enforced. That may have conveyed that [they] were somewhat incompetent or ineffective.”'
Trial of an ‘innocent man’: how the ABC trapped a powerful figure — and got away with it (msn.com)

Starting to sound a bit familiar?

Id like Vlandys to stay on for another year and push through stadium upgrades in Sydney, but back off any other decisions and let the commission/CEO run the game not him. We've had 3 CEO's and 3 chairmen in just 9 years of the game taking back control. Its not a great look!

PVL's crackdown on high shots is somewhat linked to the game being sped up by the six again rule and reduction in scrums, which were introduced by him.

You guys have explained why limiting the tackle zone to below the waist will cause more harm than good, so what can be done?

Do we get rid of the 10m rule and bring it back to 5m so the collisions aren't as forceful?

Do we do away with interchanges so that players have to slim down and play 80 minutes?

Smaller men running at each other from 5m means less force is generated when players collide.

Frailty

First Grade

Some of these arguments are quite funny to be honest.
  • "He needs to fill some of those empty desks at League Central with experienced, hardened rugby league people who understand the game." - Totally. I mean we need more people like Gould, Roach, etc. who have shown they do not care about the modern game.
  • "For every glowing email he says he receives from a thankful mum about the foul play crackdown, there’s a group of diehard fans sitting in the pub on a Friday night with their back turned to the TV, no longer caring about the result as they once did." - I keep hearing about people not following the game anymore, but seriously this is based on what? I know I don't watch nearly as much football anymore, but it's not because of the foul play 'crackdown' but because of the other multiple ridiculous changes made by V'Landys.
  • "Wayne Bennett has said it before, too. So maybe we should listen to them. The players’ voice is as valid as anyone’s. They’re not horses." - The same Bennett that has supported the foul play changes. Or praised him for the six-again changes.

I really think Journalists are getting confused with what the issue is. I don't think many people are actually arguing that the game needs to do more to protect players, rather you can't make an abundant amount of rules changes to increase fatigue, etc. and then make changes midseason and expect everything to free of criticism.

taste2taste

Juniors
Do people think its Vlandys making all the decisions and the other commissioners haven't been consulted ? As CEO Abdo would have the final say wouldn't he ?

I've always been of the opinion Vlandys is the mouthpiece for all Commissioners, I don't think I've ever seen any of the others talk to the press ? ( edit: I saw Wayne Pearce on TV a while back )

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rules committee who signed off on these changes includes Luke Keary, Trent Robinson, Craig Bellamy, Ricky Stuart and Damian Cook ?

I don't understand the discussions on this thread about having to reinvent the wheel regarding tackling. Can't we continue as normal without hitting players in the head ? Last weekend showed it can be done.

Side note, anyone see Gus Goulds meltdown in twitter today ? He was defending his prehistoric views regarding concussion and getting hammered for it :D

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Do people think its Vlandys making all the decisions and the other commissioners haven't been consulted ? As CEO Abdo would have the final say wouldn't he ?

I've always been of the opinion Vlandys is the mouthpiece for all Commissioners, I don't think I've ever seen any of the others talk to the press ? ( edit: I saw Wayne Pearce on TV a while back )

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rules committee who signed off on these changes includes Luke Keary, Trent Robinson, Craig Bellamy, Ricky Stuart and Damian Cook ?

I don't understand the discussions on this thread about having to reinvent the wheel regarding tackling. Can't we continue as normal without hitting players in the head ? Last weekend showed it can be done.

Side note, anyone see Gus Goulds meltdown in twitter today ? He was defending his prehistoric views regarding concussion and getting hammered for it :D

I doubt it is just him making the calls but I believe the players when they say they weren't consulted.

As for Gus' views. I agree with him no one knows the affect concussions have. Take Mortimer today. Is there any history of demetia in his family? Has any 'journo' checked? Or does it just suit the narrative atm

Exsilium

First Grade
They introduced rules which resulted in a dramatic change in the way the game was played. Instead of accepting that their changes influenced the game negatively I.E resulted in a higher frequency of head contact, they shifted the goal posts to make the fans, players and RLPA look like we're all uneducated fools and they know what's best because "data" says so.

It's utter bullshit.