What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T-Boon

Coach
It's usually Victorians always trying to build themselves up at NSW's expense by saying Melbourne is the capital of sport, culture, arts, music and all sorts of crap.

It must piss them off down there in fumbleball land hat bands from Brisbane (Powder Finger) and Logan (Savage Garden) have been more successful overseas in recent times than anything from Melbourne.

Even the good comedians come from some place other than Melbourne.
All the Melbourne comedians end up on lame ABC shows doing their gutless boring left wing comedy dropping AFL references into everything.

The AFL/VIctoria bagging from NSW simply shows how deep the NRL inferiority complex runs. The AFL never mentions other sports. As if Coke would waste air time bagging Pepsi, or Maccas / Hungry Jacks? It is always the Number 2 bagging the market leader. It smacks of desperation.
‘AFL fans are boring’, but ‘we want to steal them’. How is this helping?
RL is has been wobbly in recent times, sure, but the national split of interest in RL is still virtually 50/50 with AFL. The ‘War’ NSW people speak of has not been lost. MJ can take some blame (not the sharpest tool on the shed), but PVL should put his ego aside (‘I saved the AFL’ - really?) and stop speaking like a loser.
You wrote this as satire didn't you .

Jamberoo

Juniors
I agree to a point.

PVL was unmercifully howled down by the "holier-than-thou" AFL types in Melbourne when he set the date to resume the comp.

He got it done, and they, along with other sports, got back up n running far sooner because of his work. The comment about "Saving AFL" wasn't championing what he did was being a saviour, but what he did led to them getting themselves up and running again way before they otherwise would have - saving them from bleeding many more millions. PVL was the one being bagged by McGuire, Kennett, and many lead journos in AFL world. The only one I saw actually being objective about it was a guy much loathed in SA - Kane Cornes - who threw it back to the naysayers on the football show he's on.

And well before this - he was ridiculed by Racing Victoria..... He's taken both of these sporting bodies on, right in their faces. I don't mind that - and actually respect it. Just not some of the things he's said. Although - journo's know he'll speak his mind truthfully and unashamedly. I've only ever seen Vlandy's bag AFL & it's figureheads when asked about it by journos - he doesn't beat the drum against them on his own.

Against PVL - I thought comments around Victorians was pretty petulant. The most successful team is from Melbourne, which has developed a large, passionate, core group of fans for a "foreign sport". It just irks me that bagging "Victorians" on the whole is just beneath a person of his level. Especially having a great club like the Storm as an integral part of the comp. I could understand why storm fans would be annoyed at this stuff.

On the whole I like what he's about and what he drove last year to save the NRL. God only knows what may have happened if anyone of the former leaders was in charge when Covid hit.

I've never been a believer that you sell a BMW by bagging a Mercedes. Yep much of it is tongue-in-cheek honesty from Vlandys in answering baited questions. But continually saying things like this then dilutes the great work he's actually doing.
PVL/NRL's work to restart had little or nothing to do with the progress of other sports.Their protocols were all totally different, and they were mainly dealing with state governments, all of whom had different requirements. The AFL started seven days later - reasonable given they had more states to deal with. All sports did a remarkable job. PVL is claiming credit for something he had nothing to do with.

Jamberoo

Juniors
you have a point, its why Melburnians waste so much energy bagging Sydney lol Sydney folk don't think about Melbourne.
People compare the two cities as they are virtually the same size. Logically, most people will love their own city more. Melbournians main frustration when I was growing up was that you could not get a decent coffee in Sydney. I imagine that has now long changed.
The cities are very different. Each difference can be seen as a positive or a negative.
Sydney is more picturesque with the harbour, surf beaches, old streets, lots of views/hills. The downside of this is that it is harder to get around. Melbourne is centralised, built in a grid design that more livable, but less interesting.
Sydney is further north so is warmer/more tropical. Great for beaches. Bad for storms, floods, etc.
Sydney has more rich people and more poor people. Melbourne has more people in the middle.
Sydney pubs have tiles on the walls at ground level. We don't. I assume that is to hose them down? Makes sense.

My favourite difference was that Melbourne and Sydney had totally different sporting cultures. AFL in Melbourne is centralised and played in huge, but bland, neutral stadiums, and that RL in Sydney is still local - fans support their local team (like in English soccer), which no longer happens in Melbourne. I used to love that no-one followed AFL in Sydney - unfortunately that is changing. I hated recent attempts by the NRL to be more like the AFL. Centralised stadiums are not for Sydney. I think PVL is often a d*ckhead, but I am all for RL retaining its traditions in Sydney. The more RL tries to be like the AFL, the more it will fall behind the AFL.

P.s. You don't hear many people here bagging Sydney. We like to go there for a holiday. Maybe even catch a game of rugby league.

Victorians would probably spend more time bagging Adelaide (now there is sh*t city).

Perth Red

Post Whore
PVL/NRL's work to restart had little or nothing to do with the progress of other sports.Their protocols were all totally different, and they were mainly dealing with state governments, all of whom had different requirements. The AFL started seven days later - reasonable given they had more states to deal with. All sports did a remarkable job. PVL is claiming credit for something he had nothing to do with.

Now now, you'll be questioning his status as saviour and demi-god next!
It was ballsy to come out and be the first to say we will be back by X date. Could have easily gone very pear shaped if we had the community transmission we could easily have had so it took some gumption I'll give him that. It was easier for NRL given its limited state footprint but still took some kohunas to be the first.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
People compare the two cities as they are virtually the same size. .

In terms of population yes, they are similar. But in terms of physical size and development? They aren't even close.

I do enjoy a trip to Melbourne, but I could never live there. The inferiority complex down south is astounding.

mongoose

Coach
People compare the two cities as they are virtually the same size. Logically, most people will love their own city more. Melbournians main frustration when I was growing up was that you could not get a decent coffee in Sydney. I imagine that has now long changed.
The cities are very different. Each difference can be seen as a positive or a negative.
Sydney is more picturesque with the harbour, surf beaches, old streets, lots of views/hills. The downside of this is that it is harder to get around. Melbourne is centralised, built in a grid design that more livable, but less interesting.
Sydney is further north so is warmer/more tropical. Great for beaches. Bad for storms, floods, etc.
Sydney has more rich people and more poor people. Melbourne has more people in the middle.
Sydney pubs have tiles on the walls at ground level. We don't. I assume that is to hose them down? Makes sense.

My favourite difference was that Melbourne and Sydney had totally different sporting cultures. AFL in Melbourne is centralised and played in huge, but bland, neutral stadiums, and that RL in Sydney is still local - fans support their local team (like in English soccer), which no longer happens in Melbourne. I used to love that no-one followed AFL in Sydney - unfortunately that is changing. I hated recent attempts by the NRL to be more like the AFL. Centralised stadiums are not for Sydney. I think PVL is often a d*ckhead, but I am all for RL retaining its traditions in Sydney. The more RL tries to be like the AFL, the more it will fall behind the AFL.

P.s. You don't hear many people here bagging Sydney. We like to go there for a holiday. Maybe even catch a game of rugby league.

Victorians would probably spend more time bagging Adelaide (now there is sh*t city).

Sydney is more well known internationally though and I would say gets more tourists and I think some Melburnians hate that. I am just going by my experiences though and I don't really care which city is better, I'm from Brisbane. I used to travel to both cities regularly for work and if anything I preferred Melbourne to Sydney, at least the CBD's. Sydney CBD has a lot of cool buildings and its very dense but it's a bit too corporate. Melbourne CBD has a better vibe but some of the people have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to Sydney, just typical 2nd city insecurity.

Interesting ideas regarding RL sticking to suburban stadiums... I'm really not sure which way the NRL should go. If PVL can get suburban grounds upgraded in Sydney then that would awesome and a great point of difference to AFL in Melbourne but it also possibly restricts the NRL attendance average from growing significantly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting ideas regarding RL sticking to suburban stadiums... I'm really not sure which way the NRL should go. If PVL can get suburban grounds upgraded in Sydney then that would awesome and a great point of difference to AFL in Melbourne but it also possibly restricts the NRL attendance average from growing significantly.

it’s not just the avg, it’s the revenue it generates. Get another 10k fans in on game day and suddenly your $25mill revenue clubs are going up to $30 mill plus revenue streams.

typicalfan

Coach

NRL had a team in another country. NRL led the way, plain and simple. It's a bit naive to think it had no impact on other sports when the only live sport available in the country was NRL for a time.

Oh my .
The NRL also,had 3 states to deal with .
Plus the ACT
Plus another country
But don't let that get in the way of your AFL worship

So your argument is bullshit
PVL was laughed at by the southern mob .
Yet he did what he stated .

Take off your afl glasses & look at reality .

I strongly disagree. And one of AFL’s biggest microphones does too..

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/03...dys-comments-that-gerard-whateley-absolutely/

Gerard Whateley “absolutely believes” NRL boss Peter V’Landys saved the AFL from financial ruin in 2020.

The outspoken ARL chairman made the eyebrow-raising comments on Fox League’s Face to Face with Matty Johns.

“In an unusual way we saved a lot of sports,” V’Landys said.

“Because a lot of sports were looking at much later dates. They were looking at August-September and the financial losses they would have incurred would have been significant.

“I think the AFL were looking at a billion-dollar loss, is what they announced. They made a $24 million loss because they started earlier.

“So, we proved we could be leaders, and we led, and everyone else followed.”

One year on since rugby league shut down due to COVID, Whateley told Andrew Voss that he agrees with V’Landys’ sentiment.

“That (V'Landys' comment) is true, I absolutely believe that,” he said on SEN's Whateley.

“Peter V’Landys paved the way back to sport in a way that was unforeseen at the time.”

T-Boon

Coach

AFL is clever and strategic and beat NRL at everything that needs thought and planning, but this needed a bulldog and that was PVL. He definitely was the leader and I think the AFL would have waited many weeks to get moving again but for his leadership.
Only days before PVL got it done, afl had said it would take months.

MugaB

Coach
NRL had a team in another country. NRL led the way, plain and simple. It's a bit naive to think it had no impact on other sports when the only live sport available in the country was NRL for a time.
There was talk about UFC also starting early by taking on the protocols or something similar to that effect, due to hearing what PVL had planned and rolled out, there's way too many folk who have underrated what he and project Apollo were able to achieve, when most of the world was in chaos or lock downs, rugba leg started the ball rolling

typicalfan

Coach
There was talk about UFC also starting early by taking on the protocols or something similar to that effect, due to hearing what PVL had planned and rolled out, there's way too many folk who have underrated what he and project Apollo were able to achieve, when most of the world was in chaos or lock downs, rugba leg started the ball rolling
Yep, Dana White in a lot of ways similar to Vlandys, he is often sought out for sound bites. All he needs to do is sneeze and he is the main sports story.

colly

Juniors
Don't you love it, when MOST leaders people would just wait it out after Prof Lumby gave a big serve to the NRL, his no nonsense reply is one for the ages.....Vlandy shoots back at her!
She no longer represents us
She just a attention seeker
Why would I ( V landy) call her, when she doesn't represent us.

Quote-
V’landys responded to the comments by stressing Lumby no longer has a role with the game and said he is growing tired of Lumby using the NRL’s name to “bring attention to herself”.

“All committees she was on have been disbanded,” V’landys said. “She just seeks attention ... she is not a spokesperson, she doesn’t represent us.”
V’landys fired back, saying: “She criticised me for not contacting her, why do I need to contact her? She has no role with us.

“I have no time for her. Her values do not agree with ours.” End of quote

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/v-...s-do-not-agree-with-ours-20210422-p57lit.html

That the SMH runs these types of attacks just proves 'management' is weak and just lets their sniper reporters loose to kill the golden goose that the Nine TV shows/broadcasts and relies on for their profitability and so their survival. Their killing themselves.