What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quotes Concerning Dragons & NRL Right Game Right Venue Announcement

bottle

Coach
And who will fund the upgrades needed at Kogarah to meet the criteria in say 3 or 4 years time?

Best suggestion I heard in all this was from Mr Red.....build a new 35,000 seat stadium somewhere between the Gong and St George district. Not sure it would ever get green lighted, or who would pay for it, but in my opinion (sorry Willow) certainly a better option than taking games to ANZ or SCG.

Sound suggestion and a good compromise.
Wouldn't satisfy the hardcore Kogarah mafia.
The words 'sellout' and 'mediocrity' would no doubt get a run.

That aside, I can't see it happening in our lifetime, well not mine anyway.
"Money's too tight to mention" is the tune I think.

The lost issue in all this is the abortion of a job they did in the Homebush precint in the first place. ANZ should have remained a Viccy kicky/cricket venue and we should have ended up with a 80-90K state of the art dedicated rectangular stadium instead of the waste that is Skoda. It's a small side issue, but it would have mitigated the pain a little of visiting the soulless shit box.

Godz Illa

Coach
And who will fund the upgrades needed at Kogarah to meet the criteria in say 3 or 4 years time?
You're talking about criteria that doesn't exist, and hypothetical upgrades. Are you suggesting the NRL would forceably kick us out of WIN and Jubilee? Have you been to Brookvale lately? It's in terrible shape right now, forget about in 3 or 4 years, but realistically theres no chance the NRL will force Manly to play a bunch of games at other grounds half a city away. And they're not in any rush to take the cash on offer to do so either, because financially they are fine. Same applies to Penrith

And suggesting that St George die hards would be happy to see their team play against Kingsgrove in some lower tier comp is alarmist rhetoric. If the NRL haven't booted Cronulla for their woeful history, lack of money and elephant juice saga then they're hardly going to boot a team for playing at a boutique ground.

Look I saw this coming. The club is struggling for revenue despite the value of the brand and the name, due to shitty leagues clubs and the high level of involvement in propogating the game in "key communities". As mentioned elsewhere, something had to give. It may have been private ownership or some such, and that may still happen. but for the time being, this is it. I understand it, doesnt mean I have to accept it

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
You're talking about criteria that doesn't exist, and hypothetical upgrades. Are you suggesting the NRL would forceably kick us out of WIN and Jubilee? Have you been to Brookvale lately? It's in terrible shape right now, forget about in 3 or 4 years, but realistically theres no chance the NRL will force Manly to play a bunch of games at other grounds half a city away. And they're not in any rush to take the cash on offer to do so either, because financially they are fine. Same applies to Penrith

And suggesting that St George die hards would be happy to see their team play against Kingsgrove in some lower tier comp is alarmist rhetoric. If the NRL haven't booted Cronulla for their woeful history, lack of money and elephant juice saga then they're hardly going to boot a team for playing at a boutique ground

Godz, why do you always do that...
I was building a solid argument, and wham...
lol

Godz Illa

Coach
Godz, why do you always do that...
I was building a solid argument, and wham...
lol
haha buddy I agree with your points around rugby league tv viewers and the value of packed boutique grounds v half full stadia. I do think the push exists within the NRL to move teams to ANZ etc, I agree that it's a mistake. But I think the Dragons have jumped at it - not in some pro-active market-leading way as the spin suggests - but purely because the money is too good to pass up

TruSaint

Referee
haha buddy I agree with your points around rugby league tv viewers and the value of packed boutique grounds v half full stadia. I do think the push exists within the NRL to move teams to ANZ etc, I agree that it's a mistake. But I think the Dragons have jumped at it - not in some pro-active market-leading way as the spin suggests - but purely because the money is too good to pass up

Financial... yep.
But for how long friend?
When will the elite this game is based on TV revenue, local sponsors and a tribal mentality ?
Fr.. sad.

bottle

Coach
It's far from pro active and ground breaking. This is one of the things I was alluding to in regards to writing on the wall.
Dogs and Souffs already live at ANZ now, and Parra are part timers. Tiges have 3 home grounds including SFS.
People suggesting we have willingly jumped at this ahead of the game are a little delusional. We're surrounded by it.

Rexxy

Coach
Cheap shots aside, if you didn't see this coming eventually then we are looking in different directions. It was just a matter of time.

You want my answer man to man? I did see it coming but not quite as drastic. I was ready for 5:5:2 and thought that was a pretty good deal, especially if the two were in virgin ground such as launceston or Wellington or even the SFS. But 4:4:4 is hard to get my head around. I hate ANZ and the SCG, and goodness knows OKI or WIN will get a bit of barb wire in the jap eye when they fold in the crap teams into Monday Nights making the venues appear even worse. And then there is the board who do this without consulting shareholders or stakeholders and what seems to be a slipping level of customer service and commitment to quality in our front office. Dousty dismisses the Sharks Board for being amateurs but they get 12 games, 12 parties at their club, they didnt merge and a team that makes the semis. What does that make him? 4 years (4:4:4:4) will go pretty quick. I hope by then some of the Egg Board @ 157 Princes Hwy has slipped peacefully into a red wine purple/crimson long goodnight.

Steelman

Juniors
The mighty red v have just been gazumped while we are whinging and whining about moving games to ANZ etc etc. Manly have announced today they are planning to play a home game against Canberra in china.....

Wondering wether there offering cheap flight and package deals for there members. .......:lol::lol:

Media reports mmm

Last edited:

Father Ted

First Grade
Reading comments in the gong newspaper one must conclude that This 4 4 4 stuff is unhelpful to Kogarah and Wollongong unity

bottle

Coach
You want my answer man to man? I did see it coming but not quite as drastic. I was ready for 5:5:2 and thought that was a pretty good deal, especially if the two were in virgin ground such as launceston or Wellington or even the SFS. But 4:4:4 is hard to get my head around. I hate ANZ and the SCG, and goodness knows OKI or WIN will get a bit of barb wire in the jap eye when they fold in the crap teams into Monday Nights making the venues appear even worse. And then there is the board who do this without consulting shareholders or stakeholders and what seems to be a slipping level of customer service and commitment to quality in our front office. Dousty dismisses the Sharks Board for being amateurs but they get 12 games, 12 parties at their club, they didnt merge and a team that makes the semis. What does that make him? 4 years (4:4:4:4) will go pretty quick. I hope by then some of the Egg Board @ 157 Princes Hwy has slipped peacefully into a red wine purple/crimson long goodnight.

Rexxy I've seen you talk the Sharks up a couple of times in this regard during this debate.
I think you're off the mark. They made the semis last year yes, we won the comp just 3 years ago. Looking at a single snapshot in time can be misleading. Over the long haul they have been a continuous basket case.

I think they are tight rope walking and it may be just a matter of time. I don't necessarily wish for it, I've never shared the level of disdain that it seems almost mandatory to have as a Saints man. I can see that it would likely benefit us as an entity, but I'm just not comfortable with killing off clubs. However I think that they are almost all but ready for the carving knife. And if it was to come down to an us or them situation, my views would change dramatically.

For what it is worth I was talking with a guy some short while ago who had some expertise in the world of Clubland. He reinforced my view re the Sharks, and suggested that the development won't save them, just delay the inevitable. He also had some interesting views on your mates Danny and co. following some dealings with them.

Rexxy

Coach
He also had some interesting views on your mates Danny and co. following some dealings with them.

good or bad? my heart sinks every time I see that worn burgundy carpet in the Premiers Lounge, the smoke stained paint on the walls and an empty, leaky auditorium.

Fingerbang

Bench
Careful bottle.....you can't say you don't hate the Sharks around here. Someone will question your Dragon fanaticism.

Father Ted

First Grade
Careful bottle.....you can't say you don't hate the Sharks around here. Someone will question your Dragon fanaticism.

Sadly all the name calling proves we care . But you still bite at every hook at the moment..Relax a bit , We are all worried about the club and it's direction and I am quite worried about how much is really in the bank ? Are we as broke as cronulla were ? Will we be sold to a millionare doctor and his young wife or a Television mogol for his son ?

Isn't there a Chinese curse " May you be born in interesting times". Or something like that?

bottle

Coach

Lol, I know, I've seen the capos at work.
Life in my hands, but hey, f**k 'em.

Rexxy said:
good or bad? my heart sinks every time I see that worn burgundy carpet in the Premiers Lounge, the smoke stained paint on the walls and an empty, leaky auditorium.
Well not to talk out of school, but the word 'dinosaur' was used at one point.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
All good points and some more intelligent than others. I understand the emotions running high as it shows we are a passionate group. However, some of the problems being discussed in this thread recently relate to the running of The Leagues Club as opposed to the Football a Club.
This is where democracy and those willing can make a difference. Get yourself elected to the Leagues Club Board and start to make these changes we all want to see? New blood and fresh ideas are critical to the success of boards and committees... I can vouch for this.
The Football Club Board of Directors is a closed shop but the Leagues Club is crying out for people to get on board and make changes. All the name calling in the world won't make a difference unless people are prepared to stand up and deliver a change in direction. Who's in then ? :)

Sticks2

Juniors
I would guess the negotiations went like this......Dragons went to the NRL with cap in hand, "we are broke and we need a handout", NRL, "why"? Dragons, "because we underperfomed for the past three seasons and our Leagues Club which was once the showpiece of the Sydney club scene is a basket case", NRL, "boo hoo, go to venues no one wants to rent and they will give you money for jam", Dragons, "thanks Dave, great negotiations, the fans will love to hear their club is part of the new frontier and face of Rugby League, its a win, win situation as the members will probably think there is something wrong with our business model if they hear we are broke and start getting silly ideas like kicking us out". Dear bloggers, forget about the past, forget about how far you will have to travel, forget about the master plan for the future, focus on the real reason and it is EASY MONEY!!!

jenninga

First Grade
I would guess the negotiations went like this......Dragons went to the NRL with cap in hand, "we are broke and we need a handout", NRL, "why"? Dragons, "because we underperfomed for the past three seasons and our Leagues Club which was once the showpiece of the Sydney club scene is a basket case", NRL, "boo hoo, go to venues no one wants to rent and they will give you money for jam", Dragons, "thanks Dave, great negotiations, the fans will love to hear their club is part of the new frontier and face of Rugby League, its a win, win situation as the members will probably think there is something wrong with our business model if they hear we are broke and start getting silly ideas like kicking us out". Dear bloggers, forget about the past, forget about how far you will have to travel, forget about the master plan for the future, focus on the real reason and it is EASY MONEY!!!

Hi possm.