What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2K comment - Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the right venue

jubbsy

Juniors
"Another marshmallow eater..." Ha ha ha. It's been a bit of an emotional thread with varying points of view, but I'm going to be calling people "marshmallow eater" from now on.

But so I can use the term properly, does it refer to someone who you are accusing of being a bit stupid and whiny?

Dr Fruit Loop that is a ridiculous to people like myself who enjoys the odd marshmellow. A more appropriate term would be 'cake eater'

Dr Fruit Loop that is a ridiculous to people like myself who enjoys the odd marshmellow. A more appropriate term would be 'cake eater'

Jubs, blame fingerbang. He coined it And what's wrong with cake? If I was more of a dick I'd call you out as a NAILED ON MARSHMALLOW EATER.

Fingerbang

Bench
Hang on. So you don't attend games and I'm guessing you barely purchase merchandise directly from the club, meaning your tangible financial support is close to zero. This decision has zero impact on you at all. And now you admit you don't care about the game at all beyond watching it on tv. My question is not why are you debating the merits of this decision in such a forthtright confrontatational manner, it's why do you think your opinion matters at all?
For starters....I don't give 2 hoots if my opinion matters or not. I am still allowed to have one, am I not? I still intend to be a Dragon's fan for as long as I am alive....meaning I support this decision as a financial one for the greater future for the team I support. Yes, support....I have been a red v member previously, purchasing w'gong games only, and have also bought the out of state membership package to. Are you 1 of those that think because someone does not go to games, they are not a true supporter? Do you want receipts, because pretty sure I didn't save them thinking I would have to prove any purchases to you. My general apathy for the game this year is a general NRL apathy, not just towards the Dragons. The game in general is going down the sh!tter as a spectacle, these days.

And just to correct you grouch....the confrontational manner you mentioned, that was not in regards to the decision by the club, it was against the r2k clown. It is called standing up for yourself.

Last edited:

Fingerbang

Bench
Whats is even more comical, grouch....is that you think this decision made by the club should only affect those supporters who go to games at Kogarah or Win. It affects the stability and future of a great club loved by thousands or millions of people from many different corners of this earth. It makes me smile so much when I go back to Thailand every 3 months to see my missus and my family....and 4 of my nephews (aged between 4 and 11) are running up the road to meet me, with their Steeden in hand and all wearing St George Illawarra Dragons jerseys, I bought for them....wanting to play rugby League in the vacant block with me. Before I even get to drop my suitcase off.

Mr Red

First Grade
Whats is even more comical, grouch....is that you think this decision made by the club should only affect those supporters who go to games at Kogarah or Win. It affects the stability and future of a great club loved by thousands or millions of people from many different corners of this earth. It makes me smile so much when I go back to Thailand every 3 months to see my missus and my family....and 4 of my nephews (aged between 4 and 11) are running up the road to meet me, with their Steeden in hand and all wearing St George Illawarra Dragons jerseys, I bought for them....wanting to play rugby League in the vacant block with me. Before I even get to drop my suitcase off.

Dragons relocate to Thailand. problem solved.
NRL expands to a "1 team, 1 country" model...in order to have enough stadium venues to accommodate their strategy.
Sharks relocate to South Africa... Gallen gets car jacked day 2 of arrival

tumbidragon

First Grade
NRL expands to a "1 team, 1 country" model...in order to have enough stadium venues to accommodate their strategy.
Very conservative :lol:

Fingerbang

Bench
I know you are just taking the piss Red....but I love the fact that these kids who never see the team, can be so passionate about the team. I even bought them a dvd of the 2010 grand final, and it gets a run in the dvd player more than any cartoon dvds.

Mr Red

First Grade
I know you are just taking the piss Red....but I love the fact that these kids who never see the team, can be so passionate about the team. I even bought them a dvd of the 2010 grand final, and it gets a run in the dvd player more than any cartoon dvds.

agree with the passion.... you should bring the kids over and take them to a game at Kogarah........ oh hang on a minute.... :?

grouch

First Grade
Are you 1 of those that think because someone does not go to games, they are not a true supporter?
In a manner of speaking, yes, yes I do. In this day and age I believe support for the club needs to be an action, rather than merely a state of mind. I think people who support the club in spirit only, but don't show up to games or buy memberships, are part of the reason we're in this mess. Fair play to you for buying memberships, and if more did that I doubt we'd need to chase the dirty shekels of ANZ Stadium, Allianz et al

Mr Red

First Grade
. In this day and age I believe support for the club needs to be an action, rather than merely a state of mind.

kudos... very good point Grouch. See you can contribute smart opinions when you are not hell bent on just stirring shit up....

Fingerbang

Bench
In a manner of speaking, yes, yes I do. In this day and age I believe support for the club needs to be an action, rather than merely a state of mind. I think people who support the club in spirit only, but don't show up to games or buy memberships, are part of the reason we're in this mess. Fair play to you for buying memberships, and if more did that I doubt we'd need to chase the dirty shekels of ANZ Stadium, Allianz et al
Well, that is where we differ in opinions. I think someone who has no chance to go to any games live, be it for whatever reason, can be just as passionate a supporter as the guy who goes to every game live, home and away. Maybe the wording is what makes the opinions differ. Dragons fan, as opposed to Dragons supporter, is more what I am talking about.

newman

First Grade

No Rugby League club is supported by millions of people.

Mr Red

First Grade
Well, that is where we differ in opinions. I think someone who has no chance to go to any games live, be it for whatever reason, can be just as passionate a supporter as the guy who goes to every game live, home and away. Maybe the wording is what makes the opinions differ. Dragons fan, as opposed to Dragons supporter, is more what I am talking about.

he did say an action - not just confined to attending matches...
buying merchandise, memberships etc.... also is an action.

Fingerbang

Bench
he did say an action - not just confined to attending matches...
buying merchandise, memberships etc.... also is an action.
which I have done in the past....being a supporter. But there are many people (fans) who can't do that. I don't look down on them or see them as any less passionate about the team. Maybe you do, maybe others do....I don't.

jenninga

First Grade
The thread?s gone a bit all over the place, but I?d sort of like to get back on topic. On the third page I expressed my macro opinion: That we need to keep a home ground advantage and a unifying cultural identity that?s anchored within a community. To me, this seems particularly crucial given that we?re shit right now. When I say shit, I?m basing that on being officially third last, having what looks like the worst pack in the comp and being a heartbeat away from having another water bottle carrier as head coach. In those circumstances, f***, we need every small advantage we can cling to. Especially in light of our experience in the second half of the 80s when we were also shit and nomadic at the same time and we bounced around the bottom end of the table for more than half a decade. I think we could easily dip into that sort of LOL@Saints spiral, if we haven?t already.

So, my first thought is to put that desperate need for minor advantage wherever we can get it ahead of amenities, convenience and the fact that I can walk to Allianz and the SCG and get proper food and a good coffee on the way. (f*** you all, I am a marshamallow eater).

But I can see another side to the argument. It?s not unreasonable for slackboy to raise the financial benefits of the move and it?s not unreasonable to suggest that a successful (remember success,? f****ng distant memory now) Saints side should be playing at a premium, contemporary venue in front of 25K plus crowds. Which is why, when R2K emerged in the early 2000s I was ambivalent to the cause, even though R2K himself is simply one of the greatest people alive.

I thought at the time, as I sort of think now ?f*** it, win a comp out of the SFS and it becomes as much a part of our lore and tradition as the holy land of Kogarah?. We didn?t win that comp, of course, and we scuttled back to Jubilee and WIN with our tails between our legs. That, to me, was a missed opportunity. If we hadn?t kept re-signing Farrar or giving the job to SG Ball standard novices we might have a couple more premierships under our belt and be regularly playing at the SFS to average crowds of 20K plus.

Here?s my challenge, then to Doust, who, to put my cards on the table, I see as a bit of a suburban hack rather than the sort of dynamic and entrepreneurial leader a club such as ours genuinely needs. FFS, stop buying f****ng reserve graders. No, stop buying them, seriously. Stop signing minor league level coaches because they?re cheap and you can push them around. Aim up hard to win the comp in 2015 now that you?ve already blown 2014. And then maybe, in 2016 people will be a bit more mellow about accepting that the best club deserves to play at the best ground in front of the biggest crowds.

I hate to say it, but there is nothing -- nothing -- that we can talk about that doesn?t come directly back to winning the comp. We are all unprepared to wait until 2041, wherever the f*** we play.

St.George fans love Kogarah Jubilee, just as Manly fans love Brookvale and Tigers? fans love Leichhardt.

Please don't assume this of all Dragon's fans....I for one have never been a fan of r2k or Kogarah Jubilee Oval.

The statement said St George fans, not Dragons fans. It doesn't assume to speak for you or any other twat who identifies as a Dragons fan.:thumn