What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2K comment - Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the right venue

_Johnsy

Referee
In a manner of speaking, yes, yes I do. In this day and age I believe support for the club needs to be an action, rather than merely a state of mind. I think people who support the club in spirit only, but don't show up to games or buy memberships, are part of the reason we're in this mess. Fair play to you for buying memberships, and if more did that I doubt we'd need to chase the dirty shekels of ANZ Stadium, Allianz et al

So fans who live interstate & do not have the financial capacity to attend home games, are the reason we're in "this mess". What about the Sydney dragon fans who only attend some games? A saints fan is a saints fan regardless of how they show support. This is the attitude I referred to earlier, a holier than thou attitude because you live in Sydney & go to games. It must be enjoyable judging all those beneath you (on your self determined criteria).

If you're doing your best to be a condescending f***wit, congrats you've excelled.

Father Ted

First Grade
"Another marshmallow eater..." Ha ha ha. It's been a bit of an emotional thread with varying points of view, but I'm going to be calling people "marshmallow eater" from now on.

But so I can use the term properly, does it refer to someone who you are accusing of being a bit stupid and whiny?

Try Fairy floss it's more Aussie you Hotspur you.

Fingerbang

Bench
The statement said St George fans, not Dragons fans. It doesn't assume to speak for you or any other twat who identifies as a Dragons fan.:thumn
So I presume you don't consider yourself a Dragons fan? Or are you calling yourself a twat too? Seriously, can you please explain the difference to me in regards to St George fan and Dragons fan? I am just itching to hear this.

Rexxy

Coach
isnt it just like soft drink? You can like Coke, and have an opinion, but you only get to vote if you are a CCL shareholder?

I dont vote by the way, it only encourages them.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
When I was old enough to drive or train it to Sydney without the parents, I chose to avoid games at Kogarah simply for the fact that SCG or SFS games were easier for me to get to, that is, not have to change trains.
Is that the only reason? I mean, you found the prospect of getting off at Sutherland and walking to another platform to be too much effort. But you were happy to go the extra distance to Central and walk up a greater distance to Moore Park? I only ask because there doesn't seem to be any logic in your decision.
Fingerbang said:
And the facilities were shocking in the 80's and 90's.
OK, a second reason. But it is all subjective. Kogarah was hardly 'shocking' for the time, and compared to other suburban grounds it was quite OK. Even your beloved SCG had bench seating, which you fondly recalled earlier in this thread. Kogarah had similar around the ground. There was plenty of seating actually. And unlike our Brisbane cousins, you didn't have to watch people pissing on their seats when natured called. So it wasn't entirely backward for those looking to be comfortable.

But how do know this? Putting aside how you came to make a judgment on the facilities of a ground where you never watched us play, I can back you up slightly by saying that in the 1980s-1990s Kogarah was indeed a suburban ground from the 1980s-1990s cast. But all suburban grounds were like this (some still are - eg Brookvale, Leichhardt haven't progressed nearly as far as Kogarah).

The new 3000 seat stand was opened in 1990. The building of which cost us dearly on the field when we were forced to play home games at the SCG and Belmore, but that's another story - a history lesson that our club admin continue to ignore.

The pic below is from 1985, you can see the old stand with the red V on the seating in the background. You can also see families and kids sitting on the seating in the foreground.

Jubilee-Oval-Centenary-October-1985_FINAL.jpg

Jubilee Oval Centenary, October 1985

Shocking!

Fingerbang said:
I guess I just enjoyed the feel of a match of the round at a bigger stadium. I had left the Gong years before any upgrades at Kogarah. Moved to NT (first time) in 1997.
So how are the stadiums holding up in NT?
Fingerbang said:
The few times I have been back to the Gong, just so much easier to go see the Dragons at Win
That's great - how did WIN hold up, given that it wasn't as enjoyable as a bigger stadium?
Fingerbang said:
Be even further away soon.....building a house in Thailand now.
There is actually fledgling RL competition in Thailand, the guy who runs it gets in contact with us from time to time. How are the grounds in Thailand? Up to standard?

Last edited:

Fingerbang

Bench
Do you truly feel it is necessary for me to discuss how my parents raised me, or justify any decisions I have made in my life, to you Willow? You really are a worry sometimes mate. Now where did I put that bong?

As for NT, Harvey Norman and Marrara are quite adequate for the standard of the local league. Thanks for your concern, by the way.

As for rugby league in Thailand, or stadiums where rugby league is played.....the kids I play with haven't quite reached a standard high enough to play in a national league or one of the big stadiums. I must say though, the Withyaniya school soccer ground goes alright as a playing surface. At least it has some grass spasmodically.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Do you truly feel it is necessary for me to discuss how my parents raised me, or justify any decisions I have made in my life, to you Willow?
Actually, you brought it up.

And no, not asking for anything personal. In fact, I did nothing of the sort - read back.

I was merely just pointing out the contradictions in your 'argument' and seeking clarification. Like, how you (as an adult with free will) found walking 500 metres to be easier than walking 20 metres.

Or how about this... how is that driving approximately 80 kms is quicker than driving 60 kms?

Did you find a wormhole?

Fingerbang said:
Now where did I put that bong?
That explains a lot.

Fingerbang said:
As for NT, Harvey Norman and Marrara are quite adequate for the standard of the local league. Thanks for your concern, by the way.

As for rugby league in Thailand, or stadiums where rugby league is played.....the kids I play with haven't quite reached a standard high enough to play in a national league or one of the big stadiums. I must say though, the Withyaniya school soccer ground goes alright as a playing surface. At least it has some grass spasmodically.
That's super. But they were rhetorical questions.

Seriously, what's the real reason why you hate Kogarah?

_snafu_

Immortal
So let me get this straight.

The people complaining about the new policy are the ones that go to games, and the people who don't go to games support the new policy. Makes sense given that the new policy has zero effect on those that do not attend games.

To avoid any doubt, I do not consider those who do not turn up to games as being any less of a supporter than those that do.

Fingerbang

Bench
So let me get this straight.

The people complaining about the new policy are the ones that go to games, and the people who don't go to games support the new policy. Makes sense given that the new policy has zero effect on those that do not attend games.

To avoid any doubt, I do not consider those who do not turn up to games as being any less of a supporter than those that do.
I think that sums it up perfectly, snafu....certainly in my situation.

TruSaint

Referee
Snafu,

I have posted several times that people do "whatever is in their means" to support a team / club.
Financially, logistically some cant get to games. I get it and I know many.

Where i do have an issue, is those who can get to games, support the team, increase revenue, and choose not to. Does that mean they love the team less? I dont know.

To those whom legitimately cant attend a few games a year, I sympathise.
To those who decide to suddenly attend play-offs, or GF's, who were in a position to contribute in darker times, i dont.

Fact is we have a club with a history that should be pulling crowds under any environment.
Results dont show this...

Fingerbang

Bench
Actually, you brought it up.

And no, not asking for anything personal. In fact, I did nothing of the sort - read back.

I was merely just pointing out the contradictions in your 'argument' and seeking clarification. Like, how you (as an adult with free will) found walking 500 metres to be easier than walking 20 metres.

Or how about this... how is that driving approximately 80 kms is quicker than driving 60 kms?

Did you find a wormhole?

That explains a lot.

That's super. But they were rhetorical questions.

Seriously, what's the real reason why you hate Kogarah?
You open with a statement saying you are not asking anything personal, and then close with asking the real reason I hate Kogarah....hmmmm.

I never said anything about walking how many metres anywhere. Maybe I was a fat f*ck and need the exercise. Maybe I was in a wheelchair and found changing trains at anywhere inconvenient. Maybe I used to dress as a transvestite and made a few extra bucks walking through Surry Hills as opposed to getting the shit beat out of me at Carlton. It really is none of your concern, okay? I used to drive 80 kms to Ashfield from the Gong, quicker than 20 kms into the cbd on a Friday arvo (before the days of the motorway).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You open with a statement saying you are not asking anything personal, and then close with asking the real reason I hate Kogarah....hmmmm.
lol. That wasn't a personal question. Have another bong.

Fat tranvestite on the make said:
Maybe I used to dress as a transvestite and made a few extra bucks walking through Surry Hills
None of my business, but I am not judgmental and I can accept that as a valid reason.

Thanks for clearing things up.

Fingerbang

Bench
and you might want to remove the fat word from your brilliant rewording skills willow.....not appropriate anymore sorry.

Fingerbang

Bench
Are moderators or guest moderators under scrutiny from the same user guidelines as the commoners? I have had warnings and posts deleted for altering quotes before.