What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2K comment - Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the right venue

Maximus

Coach
Pretty sure R2K said not a St George supporter, which I'd say he picked up given the anti-Kogarah sentiment. It's a little hard to be a St George supporter if have never actually supported St George. That's damn logic for you.
That's certainly not my view,. But let's be fair dinkum here, do you support the Steelers first and follow the Dragons? I'm not being critical, just asking. I'm both, a St George Dragons supporter and I love that big backyard that makes us the St George Illawarra Dragons.

I really can't help being a St George supporter first - I just am. And I don't have to put it in bold - I just know.

It's all okidoke if you want to support Illawarra more (just be fair dinkum about it). Gosh... did you just question another supporter's loyalty? lol. Oh, how the wheel turns.

No I don't support Illawarra or St George more. I'm a St George Illawarra Dragons supporter. That is my team. A team I am proud to support.

It's funny that me supporting the St George Illawarra Dragons made you think that it must make me a former Illawarra fan. I guess it is a common theme among former St George supporters to refuse to accept that we merged. For your information, I was a St George supporter before the merger, but I have accepted that we are now St George Illawarra.

What's the Illawarra got to do with it?

Read R2K's post again...he questioned whether Fingerbang was a "St George" supporter. Fingerbang did not correct him and his response was consistent with confirming that he is a "St George" supporter.

On that assumption, it is curious to say the least that a supporter would be against playing games at its home ground.

Oh sorry, I was just assuming that r2k was doing what a lot of St George supporters do and refer to the team as if Illawarra doesn't exist.

As for asking what Illawarra has to do with it, this thread is about St George Illawarra moving their games. What exactly does St George have to do with this news?

I have never been to Kogarah either mind you I have lived in Qld most of my life I was a proud Steelers supporter having family members play for them back in the day and being born on the South Coast.

Honestly the Dragons are where they are because of the way the club is being run its as simple as that people either have lost interest due to on field results or possibly just not having the dollars to attend games doesn't make them less of a fan imo.

This decision will go either way will help financially or will basically bury the club for good but as long as Doust is in charge the Dragons as a whole will suffer.

Rexxy

Coach
[QUOTE= is it acceptable behaviour of a moderator to post offensive insults and language towards an individual on Jubilee Avenue.

Fundy there is a report button on every post. If you report they must act. That's why Willow is only a guest mod. Almost sacked. it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't on his last warning

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol, Now that I am speaking with someone who is intelligent, apparently the other mod missed the obvious fact that I joined in April 2013 yet found it quite funny that I missed the February orientations or some shit. Work that one out, stupidity rings a bell. Anyway that's the last you will hear from me on this topic. The other bloke can have the last say.

More importantly are you Queenslander's going to produce good weather for the Ashes?
I'm not a queenslander. I live in a state called Near NSW.

I have a question: Why is there no 'fun' in 'fundy'?

gorilla

First Grade
Pro%2520Smoking.jpeg

Pro%2520Smoking.jpeg

hahahaha

Durries are the least of it.

CCTV is not everywhere in the club.

newman

First Grade
Let me preface this by saying I am a sharks supporter and also a tenant of a corporate box at ANZ. This is a really terrible decision and I feel for you guys. It's a bad decision for the club, for its supporters, for the NRL and for top flight rugby league being played in Sydney. The clubs and the game needs strong leadership around the growth and direction of the NRL. I am strongly opposed to a centralised stadium policy, a reduction of Sydney clubs or mergers and relocations and these such decisions are not insignificant steps in this direction. Please accept this message in solidarity.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Just an outsiders point of view but interesting that the Sharks and Saints have taken very different approaches re. where they play there footy over the next few years. Saints are taking the cash on offer but risking alianating some of there die-hard local supporters by only giving them a 'home' game every 6 or 7 weeks. Sharks on the other hand have committed to 12 home games for the next few years in an attempt to increase membership as well as patronage to the new facillities that are part of the development. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out for both clubs but I wish you guys all the best on a bold move by your management to partially move to the centralised stadiums. Here's hoping they leave the derby at the gong or kogarah each year.....quite enjoy the atmosphere at my only annual 'away game'....don't think I'd be bothered attending one of my favourite games of the year at that soulless hole called ANZ. Cheers.

Fingerbang

Bench
1 home game every 6 or 7 weeks? So that is only 4 all year? I thought it was going to be 8, 4 in W'gong and 4 at Kogarah. Or did you forget about the W'gong fans too, you scallywag?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's funny that me supporting the St George Illawarra Dragons made you think that it must make me a former Illawarra fan.
I never said you did. Read back, I was merely asking the question.
Maximus said:
I guess it is a common theme among former St George supporters to refuse to accept that we merged.
Well, there's that divisive anti-St George talk again. What do you have against St George supporters? I am not a 'former' St George supporter.

We are kindred spirits after all.

I don't wish to bore anyone with the entire history of the region, but whether you like it or not, we are all cut from the same cloth. 120 years ago, everything south of the Cooks River was known as the Illawarra.

It was just a twist of history that saw the first team called St George - a great name, but the parish of St George was still part of that Illawarra region, as was Sutherland and Cronulla.

But this great Rugby League club was named St George. The mighty club that pioneered and changed Rugby League on a world scale. And this foundation was built on the back of a team full of legends.

And the home of this team? It is in Kogarah. If people can't respect that, then in my opinion they are missing the point of what it takes to be a St George supporter.

Graeme Langlands - a Wollongong junior - has said that the joint venture team should be called St George. That's good enough for me.

Maximus said:
For your information, I was a St George supporter before the merger, but I have accepted that we are now St George Illawarra.
Why did you bring into question the loyalty of other supporters?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
1 home game every 6 or 7 weeks? So that is only 4 all year? I thought it was going to be 8, 4 in W'gong and 4 at Kogarah. Or did you forget about the W'gong fans too, you scallywag?

Nah, was more referring to the Wollongong and kogarah locals that only attend local games. Won't affect the die-hards who will travel to sfs/anz/scg regardless. Also slightly concerned about the drawing power of games that will be played at the traditional venues..... Will predominately be against poorer drawing and out of Sydney teams. Pissed me off no end when the sharks gave away last years home game v the bulldogs to blue-tongue. Because of the draw it left us with a seven week break without footy at shark park. Like I said may prove to be a master stroke with big crowds against the big drawing sides but the season should be about 26 rounds not just about 4 blockbusters imo.

Fingerbang

Bench
The decision doesn't bother me either way, I only get to watch every game on tele now anyway. And season 2013 I started to really get peed off with the game as a spectacle. I reckon the game has been ruined now with how it is being run. And can't see it improving in the near future. I'll still watch every game every round on Foxtel, but starting to gain a carefree attitude to results these days.

Bring back the biff! Or shoulder charges at least.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No Willow, supported St George Dragons from mid 11 year phenomenon. Worn so many red v jerseys since the day, called my self Billy Smith or Changa during backyard games, and saw them live plenty of times with the family. But, the parents never took us to see a game at Kogarah, always SCG. I have been to Kogarah Oval, have played at Kogarah Oval....just never wanted to go to a Dragons game there. Doesn't make me any less of a supporter.
I missed this.

That's a nice story Fingerbang and thanks for that, but it kind of goes against your previous posts.

Sorry, but I have a lot of trouble understanding how someone from W'gong who says they started supporting St George in the 1960s, would travel up the Illawarra line via Carlton, Kogarah, Rockdale, Hurstville to go to Central and walk through Surry Hills to go to the SCG... and do so for years... but never once make the trip to see their team play at Kogarah Jubilee Oval.

Then years later tell everyone on an internet forum that you deliberately chose to avoid seeing the team play at Kogarah.

Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense. Did you have a bad experience at some point?

IMO, it seems sad that you might now be too far away to actually go to a game at Kogarah.

Last edited:

Fingerbang

Bench
I missed this.

That's a nice story Fingerbang and thanks for that, but it kind of goes against your previous posts.

Sorry, but I have a lot of trouble understanding how someone from W'gong who says they started supporting St George in the 1960s, would travel up the Illawarra line via Carlton, Kogarah, Rockdale, Hurstville to go to Central and walk through Surry Hills to go to the SCG... and do so for years... but never once make the trip to see their team play at Kogarah Jubilee Oval.

Then years later tell everyone on an internet forum that you deliberately chose to avoid seeing the team play at Kogarah.

Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense. Did you have a bad experience at some point?

IMO, it seems sad that you might now be too far away to actually go to a game at Kogarah.
For the first 12 or so years of watching the Dragons play, it was with my parents. They chose to only go to see them at SCG, not me. And they always took about 3 or 4 other locals kids with me and my brother, hence why Johnny Jansen was with us a lot. When I was old enough to drive or train it to Sydney without the parents, I chose to avoid games at Kogarah simply for the fact that SCG or SFS games were easier for me to get to, that is, not have to change trains. No Illawarra trains ever stop at Carlton. And the facilities were shocking in the 80's and 90's. I guess I just enjoyed the feel of a match of the round at a bigger stadium. I had left the Gong years before any upgrades at Kogarah. Moved to NT (first time) in 1997. The few times I have been back to the Gong, just so much easier to go see the Dragons at Win, as well as the Anzac match at SFS. That is the one game I made sure to see as often as I could. Be even further away soon.....building a house in Thailand now.

grouch

First Grade
The decision doesn't bother me either way, I only get to watch every game on tele now anyway. And season 2013 I started to really get peed off with the game as a spectacle. I reckon the game has been ruined now with how it is being run. And can't see it improving in the near future. I'll still watch every game every round on Foxtel, but starting to gain a carefree attitude to results these days.

Bring back the biff! Or shoulder charges at least.
Hang on. So you don't attend games and I'm guessing you barely purchase merchandise directly from the club, meaning your tangible financial support is close to zero. This decision has zero impact on you at all. And now you admit you don't care about the game at all beyond watching it on tv. My question is not why are you debating the merits of this decision in such a forthtright confrontatational manner, it's why do you think your opinion matters at all?

jenninga

First Grade
Hang on. So you don't attend games and I'm guessing you barely purchase merchandise directly from the club, meaning your tangible financial support is close to zero. This decision has zero impact on you at all. And now you admit you don't care about the game at all beyond watching it on tv. My question is not why are you debating the merits of this decision in such a forthtright confrontatational manner, it's why do you think your opinion matters at all?

This will be good.

another marshmallow eater.....f&^k you too.

I really thought this place was open to all opinions....I guess I was wrong. Baaaaaa

"Another marshmallow eater..." Ha ha ha. It's been a bit of an emotional thread with varying points of view, but I'm going to be calling people "marshmallow eater" from now on.

But so I can use the term properly, does it refer to someone who you are accusing of being a bit stupid and whiny?

The thread’s gone a bit all over the place, but I’d sort of like to get back on topic. On the third page I expressed my macro opinion: That we need to keep a home ground advantage and a unifying cultural identity that’s anchored within a community. To me, this seems particularly crucial given that we’re shit right now. When I say shit, I’m basing that on being officially third last, having what looks like the worst pack in the comp and being a heartbeat away from having another water bottle carrier as head coach. In those circumstances, f***, we need every small advantage we can cling to. Especially in light of our experience in the second half of the 80s when we were also shit and nomadic at the same time and we bounced around the bottom end of the table for more than half a decade. I think we could easily dip into that sort of LOL@Saints spiral, if we haven’t already.

So, my first thought is to put that desperate need for minor advantage wherever we can get it ahead of amenities, convenience and the fact that I can walk to Allianz and the SCG and get proper food and a good coffee on the way. (f*** you all, I am a marshamallow eater).

But I can see another side to the argument. It’s not unreasonable for slackboy to raise the financial benefits of the move and it’s not unreasonable to suggest that a successful (remember success,? f****ng distant memory now) Saints side should be playing at a premium, contemporary venue in front of 25K plus crowds. Which is why, when R2K emerged in the early 2000s I was ambivalent to the cause, even though R2K himself is simply one of the greatest people alive.

I thought at the time, as I sort of think now “f*** it, win a comp out of the SFS and it becomes as much a part of our lore and tradition as the holy land of Kogarah”. We didn’t win that comp, of course, and we scuttled back to Jubilee and WIN with our tails between our legs. That, to me, was a missed opportunity. If we hadn’t kept re-signing Farrar or giving the job to SG Ball standard novices we might have a couple more premierships under our belt and be regularly playing at the SFS to average crowds of 20K plus.

Here’s my challenge, then to Doust, who, to put my cards on the table, I see as a bit of a suburban hack rather than the sort of dynamic and entrepreneurial leader a club such as ours genuinely needs. FFS, stop buying f****ng reserve graders. No, stop buying them, seriously. Stop signing minor league level coaches because they’re cheap and you can push them around. Aim up hard to win the comp in 2015 now that you’ve already blown 2014. And then maybe, in 2016 people will be a bit more mellow about accepting that the best club deserves to play at the best ground in front of the biggest crowds.

I hate to say it, but there is nothing -- nothing -- that we can talk about that doesn’t come directly back to winning the comp. We are all unprepared to wait until 2041, wherever the f*** we play.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Saints were coming off a successful season I can see why they would make that decision as there could be a chance they miss out on fans coming to games and the larger grounds offer more room but coming off a pathetic season the crowds will not be as high therefore will fit into Kogarah and Win quite easily. Especially if they perform to last years standards.

So what benefit would Saints get having 15,000 at ANZ compared to 15,000 at Kogarah?

The board clearly did not watch last season they must have been watching replays of 2010.

Another thing the Board clearly has no care in the world for the members. First retaining Price now this.They really listen to their paying customers don't they? I wonder what the players think about this as well?

Mr Red

First Grade
So what benefit would Saints get having 15,000 at ANZ compared to 15,000 at Kogarah?

heres the thing.. if we were anticipating 15000 at Kogarah, IMO that would equate to only 11000 at ANZ...

tumbleweeds..
do the financial incentives of playing at the stadium arenas compensate for the smaller crowds you will get, and loss of gatetakings, merchandise sales and food and drink revenues?
hopefully Dousty did the maths correct.

Latest posts