What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2K comment - Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the right venue

Father Ted

First Grade
. That's what true believers do. They support the team, not just the ground.

Please don't trot out the I'm a real supporter you're not rubbish. Just don't.

A couple of years after we won the premiership, and we are already struggling to pay the bills. We've already had to request advancements of our grant from the NRL just to pay the bills. We can continue playing out of Kogarah and WIN and turn out like the Sharks constantly needing hand outs, or we can be proactive and make a change to increase our income. The club is a business first and foremost, and I guarantee they will make more money with the move and losing some fans than they would without it and still with shit crowds.

And the reason we find ourselves in this position is the complete lack of a league's club of interest to anyone other than a lover of average food or a problem gambler. Mind you to be fair I'm am convinced they drive for miles and miles to use our smokers room. And BTW losing fans won't make you money.

bottle

Coach
The club is a hole yes, but the issue is bigger than that FT.
Panfas have a veritable palace, yet they still have unspectacular attendances and recurring financial issues.
The problem is endemic in Clubland in NSW. Having poor facilities doesn't help, granted. Question is, can they afford to improve it?

Slackboy72

Coach
At this point it is 4 games for 4 years. If the fans support the change & crowds increase for marquee games they'll probably keep it going. If it doesn't they may not.
I honestly don't believe the NRL have any clue how to deal with shit crowds.
Moving 'marquee' matches to bigger grounds isn't the answer. Keeping the suburban grounds going in Sydney is just putting a glass ceiling over your head.

TruSaint

Referee
And the reason we find ourselves in this position is the complete lack of a league's club of interest to anyone other than a lover of average food or a problem gambler. Mind you to be fair I'm am convinced they drive for miles and miles to use our smokers room. And BTW losing fans won't make you money.

Well said Father.
Apparently, the smokers room is generating income. Stressed fans?

Your arguments re gambling are spot on.

Fingerbang

Bench
lol. The kid is swinging at everyone mate.
I like you Willow.....just didn't appreciate you telling me to put a sock in it, mate. If someone has a swing at me, yes, I will have a swing back.....every day of the week. That r2k pied piper clown had an uncalled dig at me, so I didn't just lay down and roll over like a b1tch....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Can you explain to me why it is understandable to question someone's support for the team just because they aren't a fan of Kogarah?
Pretty sure R2K said not a St George supporter, which I'd say he picked up given the anti-Kogarah sentiment. It's a little hard to be a St George supporter if have never actually supported St George. That's damn logic for you.
Maximus said:
Why are original Steelers fans lesser supporters of the Dragons than the likes of you?
That's certainly not my view,. But let's be fair dinkum here, do you support the Steelers first and follow the Dragons? I'm not being critical, just asking.
Maximus said:
We are after all St George Illawarra Dragons fans.
I'm both, a St George Dragons supporter and I love that big backyard that makes us the St George Illawarra Dragons.

I really can't help being a St George supporter first - I just am. And I don't have to put it in bold - I just know.

It's all okidoke if you want to support Illawarra more (just be fair dinkum about it).
Maximus said:
Well at least some of us are.
Gosh... did you just question another supporter's loyalty? lol. Oh, how the wheel turns.

Father Ted

First Grade
The club is a hole yes, but the issue is bigger than that FT.
Panfas have a veritable palace, yet they still have unspectacular attendances and recurring financial issues.

But we do have supporters in numbers Bottle

The problem is endemic in Clubland in NSW. Having poor facilities doesn't help, granted. Question is, can they afford to improve it?

Fair enough Bottle . But I find it incredible they the board want our trust moving forward after the complete lack of a plan with the leagues club. And over the years there has been the money, just not the vision to use it well. There is as far as I can see no plan there for the future with it . As far as I am concerned our new direction should start with a new CEO AND board .

Fingerbang

Bench
No Willow, supported St George Dragons from mid 11 year phenomenon. Worn so many red v jerseys since the day, called my self Billy Smith or Changa during backyard games, and saw them live plenty of times with the family. But, the parents never took us to see a game at Kogarah, always SCG. I have been to Kogarah Oval, have played at Kogarah Oval....just never wanted to go to a Dragons game there. Doesn't make me any less of a supporter.

Rexxy

Coach
Well said Father.
Apparently, the smokers room is generating income. Stressed fans?

Your arguments re gambling are spot on.

Pro%2520Smoking.jpeg

Pro%2520Smoking.jpeg

_snafu_

Immortal
Can you explain to me why it is understandable to question someone's support for the team just because they aren't a fan of Kogarah?

Why are original Steelers fans lesser supporters of the Dragons than the likes of you? We are after all St George Illawarra Dragons fans. Well at least some of us are.

What's the Illawarra got to do with it?

Read R2K's post again...he questioned whether Fingerbang was a "St George" supporter. Fingerbang did not correct him and his response was consistent with confirming that he is a "St George" supporter.

On that assumption, it is curious to say the least that a supporter would be against playing games at its home ground.

Last edited:

FundyDragon

Bench

lol, Now that I am speaking with someone who is intelligent, apparently the other mod missed the obvious fact that I joined in April 2013 yet found it quite funny that I missed the February orientations or some shit. Work that one out, stupidity rings a bell. Anyway that's the last you will hear from me on this topic. The other bloke can have the last say.

More importantly are you Queenslander's going to produce good weather for the Ashes?

Fingerbang

Bench
hahaha.....it? The insults need a little bit more thought snafu.....but I appreciate the effort. Cheers!

Latest posts