What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
We have offload a few players and have only signed 2 guys who wouldn't be on big bucks

Just letting you know what I was told mate. I don't know the details but it has been said to me several times by someone that deals with the football operations on a very regular basis.
The salary cap is the enemy of Premiership winning teams.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Lurker keeps saying Te'o to the Rabbitohs or Broncos
At least it seems we have a bit of a chance at getting him. A chance is better than no chance at all.
Told today that Broncos can't fit him under salary cap.
You guys will struggle as well, you're at cap limit or close to it.
The coaching merry go round may have a few more casualties before 2016.
We should still be able to fit 1 more quality forward. Do you know salary Te'o wants??? Anyone know what Te'o would roughly demand salary wise?????

What info do you have about coaches mate???
We have offload a few players and have only signed 2 guys who wouldn't be on big bucks
That's right but we have re-signed/upgraded a lot of contracts too. Players would have wanted more salary!!!!
Just letting you know what I was told mate. I don't know the details but it has been said to me several times by someone that deals with the football operations on a very regular basis.
The salary cap is the enemy of Premiership winning teams.

If Souths were to take Te'o and we had to release a forward then I'd release Grant. I wouldn't hesitate. What do you guys feel????

Rsag 85, R95, Southsport, Doyen, Alien etc....... Would you tell Grant to go in exchange for having a bit more in our cap to sign up Te'o???? I WOULD!!!!!!!!!!!

Told today that Broncos can't fit him under salary cap.
You guys will struggle as well, you're at cap limit or close to it.
The coaching merry go round may have a few more casualties before 2016.

You are kidding yourself. We still Have Issac and Glen Stewarts coin to utilise.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You are kidding yourself. We still Have Issac and Glen Stewarts coin to utilise.
I reckon Newc we'd have enough for 1 key forward signing. If not then I don't mind if Grant leaves and we get Te'o.

Also Newc I expect Souths are planning to upgrade/extend GI's contract too. We will have enough for this as the cap is going up I think.

Thanks, very good read that was.

I reckon there is quite a reasonable chance of Sam coming back in 2017. We could get rid of guys like McQueen, McInnes, Grant and even Clark to fit Sam in.

Jubileeboy

First Grade

Just passing on what I've been told. In that case, or in your opinion, you should have a couple of top shelf signings in the next few weeks then? Most rosters for 2016 are fairly settled by now with majority of squads back training early to mid November.
That being the case, it's not like your club was caught off guard with the departure of Luke or Stewart? Tell me why they have not been replaced with like for like? Could it have anything to do with the salary cap?

Godeangogogogo

Juniors
As much as I'd like Sam to return "home" I can't help feeling that the constant talk of a potential return is casting a shadow over the club.

This idea of clearing the decks to fit him under the salary cap is ridiculous, there would be no squad depth whatsoever.

The current squad needs more than Sam Burgess should it want to challenge for honours next season.

doyen

Bench
At least it seems we have a bit of a chance at getting him. A chance is better than no chance at all.

We should still be able to fit 1 more quality forward. Do you know salary Te'o wants??? Anyone know what Te'o would roughly demand salary wise?????

What info do you have about coaches mate???

That's right but we have re-signed/upgraded a lot of contracts too. Players would have wanted more salary!!!!

If Souths were to take Te'o and we had to release a forward then I'd release Grant. I wouldn't hesitate. What do you guys feel????

Rsag 85, R95, Southsport, Doyen, Alien etc....... Would you tell Grant to go in exchange for having a bit more in our cap to sign up Te'o???? I WOULD!!!!!!!!!!!

Grant has been a disappointment,IMO!

He's almost been a non-identity.

I thought when we signed him he would at least show some of the fire he exhibited when he played SOO.

I don't think his heart is in it these days--the alarm bells should have been ringing when the Panthers were so eager to shaft him!

When signing players from now we should be looking at those who can play very long stints on the paddock,preferably 80 mins.
They need to be very mobile,noted defenders, with top engines---the Teo,SamB types.
The day of the big lumbering forward could be over with the possibility of a 6 i/change--& this will eventually happen.
The Burgess boys are great athletes for their size but we don't need [or want ]a pack full of players who can only run for 20 mins before becoming a huge liability.Teams that continue down this road will be blitzed in the last 20 mins by the mobiles.

Bennett is already focussed on building a team for the game of the future. The game is already being planned by the establishment at being more spectator friendly & getting away from the mindless crap we get from most teams at present!!

Clubs & coaches need to be very mindful of where the modern game is going & consider very carefully the type of player they recruit!

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench
I would say to Grant take a pay cut to stay with the club and prove yourself to the coach and fans or look for another club

Galeforce

Bench
I would say to Grant take a pay cut to stay with the club and prove yourself to the coach and fans or look for another club

Grant has a contract and legally Souths are responsible to ensure he gets that amount of money. If souths release him to another club Souths will have to make up the difference between what another club is willing to pay to get Grant.

In short the only time , your statement works is when the contract period has ended and Souths are negotiating a new contract period.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Grant has been a dsappointment,IMO!

He's almost been a non-identity.

I thought when we signed him he would at least show some of the fire he exhibited when he played SOO.

I don't think his heart is in it these days--the alarm bells should have been ringing when the Panthers were so eager to shaft him!

When signing players from now we should be looking at those who can play very long stints on the paddock,preferably 80 mins.
They need to be very mobile,noted defenders, with top engines---the Teo,SamB types.
The day of the big lumbering forward could be over with the possibility of a 6 i/change--& this will eventually happen.
The Burgess boys are great athletes for their size but we don't need [or want ]a pack full of players who can only run for 20 mins before becoming a huge liability.Teams that continue down this road will be blitzed in the last 20 mins by the mobiles.

Bennett is already focussed on building a team for the game of the future. The game is already being planned by the establishment at being more spectator friendly & getting away from the mindless crap we get from most teams at present!!

Clubs & coaches need to be very mindful of where the modern game is going & consider very carefully the type of player they recruit!
Doyen great post from you, I completely agree. That is truth telling at its best:)
Grant has a contract and legally Souths are responsible to ensure he gets that amount of money. If souths release him to another club Souths will have to make up the difference between what another club is willing to pay to get Grant.
In short the only time , your statement works is when the contract period has ended and Souths are negotiating a new contract period.
True. But we'd still gain some of the $350k.

I like the idea but I don't think that will happen.

doyen

Bench
There is an interesting article by Roy Masters on "The Brisbane Times" website about where the game is going & what Clubs will need to do if they want to successfully compete under the imminent reform of the i/change rules.

Try----"brisbane times--roy masters--interchange rules"

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
Personally I don't like it when clubs off-load players, if they want to get rid of a player they shouldn't have signed him the first instance.

Rsag85

Bench
As much as I'd like Sam to return "home" I can't help feeling that the constant talk of a potential return is casting a shadow over the club.

This idea of clearing the decks to fit him under the salary cap is ridiculous, there would be no squad depth whatsoever.

The current squad needs more than Sam Burgess should it want to challenge for honours next season.

We are only missing four players from the premiership side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts