What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders stand down Goodwin and Carney over club claims

Johns Magic

Referee
Once again, a case of people who don believe anything written in the Telegraph suddenly deciding that it's in the Telegraph so it must be true because it suits their arguments.

How pathetic. Aren't you a Knights fan Steve? If not I apologise, but should we believe everything the Telegraph wrote about them at the end of last year?

They can't make up quotes

so irwin lied to the police did he, shouldnt he also be charged as well?

funny he only has to mention it after his RL career is over, what a bitter and twised soul

Thomas

First Grade
I doubt he'd be lying.

I bet he has some issues with the Raiders but that's a pretty big call he's made.

We're talking criminal charges etc.

I wonder if he knows what he's got himself into....

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If he isn't lying why did the Raiders fire the person who helped cover up for their best player. It just doesn't feel like it makes sense to me.

Kiki

First Grade
on the upside, for the first time since the Green Machine days people actually give a crap about Canberra. thanks todd carney!

Alex28

Coach
It's all very well to say because it was in the Telegraph that it must be rubbish...but seriously...it's incredibly hard to believe that Todd Carney didn't take a piss on the guys leg on purpose. It is hard to believe that Canberra didn't just fix the situation by convincing Tilse's mate to drop the charges.

Of course he did it...it might have been a joke gone wrong, but there is very little doubt that he did it and it has backfired. The guy needs to be pulled in to line - I just doubt Canberra can actually do it (after all, after the police chase last year they disciplined him with a new 4 year $400K contract...).

Pete Cash

Post Whore
That was hardly our fault was it, Manly and Penrith were offering bigger contracts for him. We had to match it our we would have disciplined ourselves by losing our best player.

Bazal

Post Whore
The simple question I have over this whole Steve Irwin thing is; If he is lying, what does he have to gain? He could be charged, especially as the radio down here reported this morning that the case could be re-opened. Add to that the fact that Irwin was filthy when he was sacked but said he wouldn't say why out of respect for Carney, and it all takes on a bit of a nasty taste IMO. Irwin's timing smacks of bitter vengeance, sure....but that doesn't make him a liar.

I doubt he'd be lying.

I bet he has some issues with the Raiders but that's a pretty big call he's made.

We're talking criminal charges etc.

I wonder if he knows what he's got himself into....

if hes telling the truth now then he was lieing originally to the police saying carney didnt drink.

is he getting off for that lie as hes a whiste blower

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Why did he let Carney drive his car if Carney was drunk. It was Irwin's car they were pulled over in. I don't let my friends drive my car if they are pissed.

Bazal

Post Whore
Why did he let Carney drive his car if Carney was drunk. It was Irwin's car they were pulled over in. I don't let my friends drive my car if they are pissed.

IIRC Irwin was hammered as well. His judgement would have been severely crap.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Well we just might see how squeaky clean the Green Machine front office is.

I doubt there will be a big file hidden away in Don Furner's office marked, "Conspiracy against the ACT, the Todd Carney story" (although he is pretty imcompetant so there might be), which leads to the main point.

Steve Irwin might be telling the truth, but he might be lying. It falls on him to provide some proof that he is telling the truth. If he cannot provide it then let us get on with our lives. The burden of proof does fall upon him and not the Raiders though.

Pete Cash

Post Whore

Yeah, the story was Irwin and Carney had gone to some guys place (I don't know if it was a mate or not) and Irwin had a couple of drinks that put him in danger of being over the limit.

Carney offered to drive the car (as he had not had anything to drink...so the official story went) and he "lost traction" going around a corner and was noticed by the police who pulled him over. Carney panicked and fled from the police. He eventually pulled over and jumped out and managed to out run the police and hide out at his mums place.

Now, if Carney was pissed would he have been able to outrun the police. Apparently his escape was pretty well done, I seem to remember the police making comment on the speed of it.

mckinks

Juniors
But it also seems a little bit odd that Irwin would drive there but have too many drinks to drive home, and that Carney wouldn't have anything (even though he was the one who was unlicensed and didn't have the responsibility of driving).

Therefore, would a completely sober individual make the decision that it is better to run from the police than to be caught unlicensed, cop the rap, and say he drove because his mate was too pissed and he was just trying to be semi-responsible? Silly logic if true to explain why he drove but it's even sillier to make a run for it when you've got such a high profile, particularly in such a small city like Canberra.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Carney's defense in court was that he is basically geniused when confronted with decisions of that nature.

sharko

Juniors

Apparently Carney pulled his wanger out and threatened to drown Irwin in piss if he did not let him drive..what would you do in that situation?

Latest posts