What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank the Brisbane bids

I read an article last year that redcliffe would be open to do just that, more than half at Suncorp, the rest at the local dolphins oval, but i think they need to atleast join with norths devils, or sunshine coast falcons at a minimum for them to be a proper bid, if only to rid the redcliffe name and encapsulate more of the northern suburbs of the SEQ, no point just being redcliffe
A team representing all of those areas is much stronger than Redcliffe Dolphins. I think Devils and Falcons should be added to the bid. It's then just a matter of what to call them. I like Devils better than Dolphins.24F873E1-1C63-4252-8C02-95D700DB6F75.jpeg

Maybe change the name to North Brisbane Devils, Northern Devils or Moreton Bay Devils.

magpie_man

Juniors
Put a team there and it'll only be a matter of time until fumbleball introduces Perth 3 to draw even more corporate support away from the Pirates

I doubt that very much.
Unless they can somehow discover an untapped cache of playing talent, the AFL are maxed-out in terms of expansion for a while. I don't watch a huge amount of the AFL but it's pretty clear that they've over-reached with the introduction of two expansion teams in terms of the quality on the playing field alone.
There is a significant amount of expat East Coasters, Kiwis and Brits in Perth who still hold a candle for RL - a NRL side is a no-brainer for mine.

T-Boon

Coach
A team representing all of those areas is much stronger than Redcliffe Dolphins. I think Devils and Falcons should be added to the bid. It's then just a matter of what to call them. I like Devils better than Dolphins.View attachment 39174

Maybe change the name to North Brisbane Devils, Northern Devils or Moreton Bay Devils.

Brisbane United Devils - BUDs.

mongoose

Coach
A team representing all of those areas is much stronger than Redcliffe Dolphins. I think Devils and Falcons should be added to the bid. It's then just a matter of what to call them. I like Devils better than Dolphins.View attachment 39174

Team should be south of the river, not north. Broncos are already on the north side.

More people live on the south side and as I have said before, no one on the south side is going to travel to redcliffe on a weekly basis. So you will just end up with a redcliffe/moreton bay club, rather than a 2nd brisbane club. Not what the NRL should be aiming for.

Reflector

Juniors
Team should be south of the river, not north. Broncos are already on the north side.

More people live on the south side and as I have said before, no one on the south side is going to travel to redcliffe on a weekly basis. So you will just end up with a redcliffe/moreton bay club, rather than a 2nd brisbane club. Not what the NRL should be aiming for.

Under my proposal, the fans from the south/ east would only have to travel to Redcliffe on a monthly basis (assuming the Dolphins have 2 home/ 2 away games in a month, with one of their home games being at Suncorp). Even for the Redcliffe trip, if taking the train they would only have to change once at Roma St for the Kippa-Ring service

MugaB

Coach

Well that defeats the purpose of their bid, if not called Dolphins and not called Redcliffe, then from their point of view why bid? I know you like the devils, but if redcliffes bid is to succeed, they'll want to use their brand, dolphins or redcliffe, i'd think they'd go for Norths Dolphins

T-Boon

Coach
Is the population of Brisbane north and south of the river about the same?

Bring in South Brisbane Jets or who ever and make Broncos change their name to North Brisbane. That would be a great rivalry.

MugaB

Coach
Is the population of Brisbane north and south of the river about the same?

Bring in South Brisbane Jets or who ever and make Broncos change their name to North Brisbane. That would be a great rivalry.

That's like asking roosters to become North Sydney, just coz Rabbitohs are South Sydney...
Better off just leaving bronx as is, and adding something west or north or east of them, fk the river, its not the reason brisbane 2 bid exist, its about a second team FOR brisbane to follow, so i understand the bombers bid in that sense, i just hate the name/brand, and wish they had a better more suited name for brisbane/SEQ, i actually like the Firehawks, and Dolphins, and a bit meh on Jets but all three are both better than both Bombers and Titans

T-Boon

Coach
That's like asking roosters to become North Sydney, just coz Rabbitohs are South Sydney...
Better off just leaving bronx as is, and adding something west or north or east of them, fk the river, its not the reason brisbane 2 bid exist, its about a second team FOR brisbane to follow, so i understand the bombers bid in that sense, i just hate the name/brand, and wish they had a better more suited name for brisbane/SEQ, i actually like the Firehawks, and Dolphins, and a bit meh on Jets but all three are both better than both Bombers and Titans

I like the idea of bringing in a team that will maximise the hatred from the Broncos. If they made them change their name it would add a lot to the hate. Even if it was just for a name change for a couple years.

MugaB

Coach
I like the idea of bringing in a team that will maximise the hatred from the Broncos. If they made them change their name it would add a lot to the hate. Even if it was just for a name change for a couple years.
No new club can make another club change their name, if anything it'll just pin point that new club into being only for the eastside of brisbane, or Westside of brisbane...etc
where Brisbane is all of brisbane....

If you want to be better than just "all of brisbane" what do you do?
You call yourself South Queensland, and encapsulate everyone inside and around them.... to bad they didn't get a chance to stick it out like the warriors and cowboys 25 years later

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Under my proposal, the fans from the south/ east would only have to travel to Redcliffe on a monthly basis (assuming the Dolphins have 2 home/ 2 away games in a month, with one of their home games being at Suncorp). Even for the Redcliffe trip, if taking the train they would only have to change once at Roma St for the Kippa-Ring service
Under his proposal they’d never have to travel to Redcliffe because the team would always be at Suncorp...

Expecting the people from the South of Brisbane to actively support Redcliffe in numbers is unrealistic.

There’s also significantly more people in the South than in Moreton Bay. It makes no sense why you’d target Moreton Bay when you could target a huge part of the South.

flippikat

Bench

A North side of the city team, decked out in red & black? Seems vaguely familiar.....

There is horse racing in Albion and lots of horses in Hendra. Both on the north side. If you're a kid driving past Hendra or Albion and see the horses it would remind you of the Broncos. Free marketing. There used to be some in Rochedale, but they've turned it into a housing estate.

Well that defeats the purpose of their bid, if not called Dolphins and not called Redcliffe, then from their point of view why bid? I know you like the devils, but if redcliffes bid is to succeed, they'll want to use their brand, dolphins or redcliffe, i'd think they'd go for Norths Dolphins
If they remain the Dolphins then they should look at covering Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast, as they won't draw much support from the northern suburbs of Brisbane. Being named after an aquatic animal will make them appear to be a seaside club, which might turn off people who live inland. No matter what brand is used, some one will be unhappy.

You make a very good point. Maybe the NRL want to tap into the Sunshine Coast/Moreton Bay population by putting a team in Redcliffe. People who live in the northern part of Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast would probably be hesitant to travel fortnightly or weekly to Lang Park. That's the only benefit to having a team there.

I still reckon the Gold Coast is a waste of a licence, but I'll wait another 5-7 years to see if they can turn it around. If they cannot do so after 20 years of existence then they've had enough time and need to go.

No new club can make another club change their name, if anything it'll just pin point that new club into being only for the eastside of brisbane, or Westside of brisbane...etc
where Brisbane is all of brisbane....

If you want to be better than just "all of brisbane" what do you do?
You call yourself South Queensland, and encapsulate everyone inside and around them.... to bad they didn't get a chance to stick it out like the warriors and cowboys 25 years later
South Queenslanders don't band together like North Queenslanders. There's too much tribalism in southeast.

T-Boon

Coach
With NSW cup and Qld Cup down, I think these Brisbane bids should join forces with North Sydney Bears and a few other clubs and put on a competition this year. Have a draft of who ever wants to play on a team.

So:

North Sydney Bears
Redcliffe Dolphins
Ipswich Jets
Brisbane Firehawks
Brisbane Bombers
Newtown Jets
Brisbane Crushers

6 rounds followed by a GF.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
I don't actually know for certain. The South side is significantly bigger though and has better public transport. North side seems to be more dense and congested though.
Population wise I’m not sure but the Northside is older than the Southside of the river. I’d assume Logan, Redlands and the southern half of Brisbane City Council’s boundary is Larger than the northern half and Moreton Bay.
Then you have Ipswich which is west of the city

Logan was declared a city in 1981 or 1982, and has a population of 326,000. Redlands has around 200,000 or 180,000 and was declared a city just over a decade ago if my memory is correct. Moreton Bay is a Regional Council and has around 450,000, but it's not a city. Ipswich has over 210,000 people and is a city.