What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank the Brisbane bids

The Great Dane

First Grade
I've lived here my whole life. I know what I have experienced.

Logan is Logan. Brisbane is Brisbane. Ipswich is Ipswich. Redlands and Moreton Bay are areas from the council amalgamation in the 00s, so people probably don't identify with those areas too much. But Logan has been around for almost 40 years now and has its own history and culture that is distinct from Brisbane.

People from Brissie tend to distance themselves from Ipswich and Logan. My other sister is always hating on Logan. Comments in the local newspapers are full of tribalism between people from Ipswich, Logan and Brisbane. The plan to merge Logan with the Redlands at the council amalgamations fell through because the people of Redlands didn't want to be associated with Logan. When Cr Lisa Bradley asked residents of Logan Division 1 if we wanted our part of Logan to merge with Redlands there was a lot of anger, primarily in the Redlands but also in Logan.
Yeah because there's no tribalism in any other city lol.

I mean Western Sydney and the Eastern Suburbs love each other lol.

The Great Dane

First Grade
WTF? Has it moved? Have the Pennines shifted from some psysmic event since I left? Manchester is in the county of Lancashire you fool. Both Manchester EPL clubs draw from the borough of Manchester , hence why they can sell out a 74k and a 55k stadium every game!

It'd be like saying the City of Sydney only has a population of 250k. No one says that lol

I think he might be confusing political seats with cities lol.

WTF? Has it moved? Have the Pennines shifted from some psysmic event since I left? Manchester is in the county of Lancashire you fool. Both Manchester EPL clubs draw from the borough of Manchester , hence why they can sell out a 74k and a 55k stadium every game!

It'd be like saying the City of Sydney only has a population of 250k. No one says that lol

Greater Manchester, metropolitan county in northwestern England. It encompasses one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country and comprises 10 metropolitan boroughs: Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan, and the cities of Salford and Manchester.​

https://www.britannica.com/place/Greater-Manchester

Tell me Mr Hypocrite, why is it okay for England to retain clubs like Wigan Warriors, Salford Red Devils, Rochdale Hornets and Oldham Roughyeds but not okay for Sydney and Brisbane to have the equivalent?

I don't see you demanding these clubs merge into two clubs called Manchester so they can expand into new areas like New York, Chicago, Paris, Toulouse and Barcelona. You're such an annoying hypocrite.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Greater Manchester, metropolitan county in northwestern England. It encompasses one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country and comprises 10 metropolitan boroughs: Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan, and the cities of Salford and Manchester.​

Can somebody please give this moron the definitions of metropolis and explain to him that it is a synonym for a big city.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Tell me Mr Hypocrite, why is it okay for England to retain clubs like Wigan Warriors, Salford Red Devils, Rochdale Hornets and Oldham Roughyeds but not okay for Sydney and Brisbane to have the equivalent?

I don't see you demanding these clubs merge into two clubs called Manchester so they can expand into new areas like New York, Chicago, Paris, Toulouse and Barcelona. You're such an annoying hypocrite.

Haha, its a metropolitan region, not an English County, the county is Lancashire!! Go and ask a northerner if there is a county of Manchester :)

Because there is no better options at the moment. My club is one of the smaller ones in SL and I fully accept that if a Toronto, Toulouse or NY offers the long term growth and health of RL in the northern hemisphere that we would have to drop down. Would suck but I supported them in the third division so not a fair weather fan like many and ultimately its whats good for the game that matters. No to mention they have P&R so the on field performance dictates if you're in or not! Of the clubs youve mentioend only Wigan in reality are a decent club, the others struggle from year to year to survive. Personally I think Salford should change their name and brand to Manchester, like a Redcliffe NRL club should be called Brisbane

Haha, its a metropolitan region, not an English County, the county is Lancashire!! Go and ask a northerner if there is a county of Manchester :)

Because there is no better options at the moment. My club is one of the smaller ones in SL and I fully accept that if a Toronto, Toulouse or NY offers the long term growth and health of RL in the northern hemisphere that we would have to drop down. Would suck but I supported them in the third division so not a fair weather fan like many and ultimately its whats good for the game that matters. No to mention they have P&R so the on field performance dictates if you're in or not! Of the clubs youve mentioend only Wigan in reality are a decent club, the others struggle from year to year to survive. Personally I think Salford should change their name and brand to Manchester, like a Redcliffe NRL club should be called Brisbane
I know the county is Lancashire, but I saw metropolitan county, whatever that is, and meant to write the full term but had my mind focused on a project I was doing.

I like the smaller clubs. They allow people not familiar with the area to learn more about it. Each has its own identity and brings something to the table.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
I've lived here my whole life. I know what I have experienced.

Logan is Logan. Brisbane is Brisbane. Ipswich is Ipswich. Redlands and Moreton Bay are areas from the council amalgamation in the 00s, so people probably don't identify with those areas too much. But Logan has been around for almost 40 years now and has its own history and culture that is distinct from Brisbane.

People from Brissie tend to distance themselves from Ipswich and Logan. My other sister is always hating on Logan. Comments in the local newspapers are full of tribalism between people from Ipswich, Logan and Brisbane. The plan to merge Logan with the Redlands at the council amalgamations fell through because the people of Redlands didn't want to be associated with Logan. When Cr Lisa Bradley asked residents of Logan Division 1 if we wanted our part of Logan to merge with Redlands there was a lot of anger, primarily in the Redlands but also in Logan.

you are talking about LGA's. Sydney has like 30 of them that are much smaller than Brisbane's. Mosman is a separate LGA, people from Mosman don't say they are in a different city to Sydney though.

you are talking about LGA's. Sydney has like 30 of them that are much smaller than Brisbane's. Mosman is a separate LGA, people from Mosman don't say they are in a different city to Sydney though.
That's because Brisbane amalgamated all of its LGAs into the City of Brisbane around 100 years ago, whereas the other capitals kept them separate. People like to say Brisbane is a "big country town" for this reason. Cities like Ipswich, Logan and Redland might be part of modern day metropolitan Brisbane, but the City of Brisbane was initially meant to be its own centralised metropolis.

Logan is only a young city, birthed in 1982. Much of it was bushland 60 years ago. It has grown rapidly in that time. In 50 years time Logan will probably be the size Brisbane is today.

Redland was made up of a few semi-rural shires if memory serves me correctly, but these days it is its own city, albeit a small one.

Ipswich is growing rapidly.

It makes sense to put teams here now and let them grow while these cities are in their infancy and growing. When all the high rise developments are completed in Brissie and it's an overpopulated mess people will look to move south to Logan, east to Redland and west to Ipswich for a more relaxed lifestyle. It's already happening. My family made the move to Logan 20 years ago for this reason. Now there are developers looking to build high rises in Logan and businesses relocating here.

AwFuL set up the Lions@Springwood Social club because they know Logan is going to be a big city in 50 years time. They also have ambitions of setting up a base in Ipswich. They realise that the rapidly growing cities adjacent to Brisbane will be worth more than Adelaide and Perth in 50 years time. Rugby league needs to take advantage of this asset. Queensland is Australia's least centralised state. The QLD Gov doesn't want everyone to live in Brissie. There are more people in QLD living outside of Brissie than in it. Four teams in the greater Brissie area will help service the sprawl better. Having just 2 teams and putting them both at Lang Park is shit because it does nothing for people who live on the northern, western and southern outskirts of greater Brissie.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
The guy is from Brisbane - I think he knows about the intercity rivalries & divisions. Of course you can listen to posters from Perth & Canberra explain what team Brisbane wants

Pippen94

First Grade
Brisbane needs another Broncos with 30k crowds at Suncorp drawing city wide, not another Manly drawing 10k from a limited catchment in a sub 20k stadium and struggling to survive with big brothers foot on their throat. I'd say the Brisbane market is actually going to be much harder than cracking Perth or Gosford, competing with Broncos for fans, sponsors and media interest is going to be a massive challenge for any new club, especially if it is underfunded and doesn't have the resources and power to wield.
Biggest rugby league city in the world - could sustain multiple clubs - in fact it does; All brl teams still exist after fall of comp in 1988. Team in Perth didn't see out 90's. That's why NRL only interested in Brisbane - ppl there watch game

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's because Brisbane amalgamated all of its LGAs into the City of Brisbane around 100 years ago, whereas the other capitals kept them separate. People like to say Brisbane is a "big country town" for this reason. Cities like Ipswich, Logan and Redland might be part of modern day metropolitan Brisbane, but the City of Brisbane was initially meant to be its own centralised metropolis.

Logan is only a young city, birthed in 1982. Much of it was bushland 60 years ago. It has grown rapidly in that time. In 50 years time Logan will probably be the size Brisbane is today.

Redland was made up of a few semi-rural shires if memory serves me correctly, but these days it is its own city, albeit a small one.

Ipswich is growing rapidly.

It makes sense to put teams here now and let them grow while these cities are in their infancy and growing. When all the high rise developments are completed in Brissie and it's an overpopulated mess people will look to move south to Logan, east to Redland and west to Ipswich for a more relaxed lifestyle. It's already happening. My family made the move to Logan 20 years ago for this reason. Now there are developers looking to build high rises in Logan and businesses relocating here.

AwFuL set up the Lions@Springwood Social club because they know Logan is going to be a big city in 50 years time. They also have ambitions of setting up a base in Ipswich. They realise that the rapidly growing cities adjacent to Brisbane will be worth more than Adelaide and Perth in 50 years time. Rugby league needs to take advantage of this asset. Queensland is Australia's least centralised state. The QLD Gov doesn't want everyone to live in Brissie. There are more people in QLD living outside of Brissie than in it. Four teams in the greater Brissie area will help service the sprawl better. Having just 2 teams and putting them both at Lang Park is shit because it does nothing for people who live on the northern, western and southern outskirts of greater Brissie.

PERTH is forecast to hit 3.5 million by 2050. What’s the predictions for these “cities” in Brisbane?

mongoose

Coach
Biggest rugby league city in the world - could sustain multiple clubs - in fact it does; All brl teams still exist after fall of comp in 1988. Team in Perth didn't see out 90's. That's why NRL only interested in Brisbane - ppl there watch game

lol I live in Brisbane, have for over 20 years. Logan, Redlands, Moreton Bay are not separate f**king cities and no one who lives in these places thinks they are in a different city to Brisbane. Ipswich might be the only exception cause its been around as long as Brisbane city itself and it has its own identity I guess but Ipswich is still counted as greater Brisbane.

Logan is declared a city

The Department of Local Government started the Logan Shire in 1978. The new Logan Shire included the northern suburbs of both Albert and Beaudesert Shires.​

At the time, there were about 69,000 people living to the north of the Logan River.​

On 31 May 1978, Local Government Minister Russ Hinze introduced the Local Government (Change of Boundaries) Bill to create the new Logan Shire. This was officially approved on 8 June 1978. Elections were held with the general local government election in March 1979.​

The council took over financial responsibility for the new shire from the 1 July 1979.​

On 1 January 1981, Logan was declared a city. Our administration building in Wembley Road was opened in February 1981. Extensions to the building were completed in 1984 and 1993.

Extensions to the building were completed in 1984 and 1993.

https://www.logan.qld.gov.au/heritage/early-history-logan

Logan City

Logan is a young city with more than 300,000 people from 217 different cultures and it is located in the south of Brisbane’s metropolitan area. It also shares a border with the Gold Coast. Learn more about living in Logan on the Logan City Council’s website and Visit Logan. Other useful websites include Office of Economic Development which provides business support and investment assistance.

https://migration.qld.gov.au/regions/brisbane-and-surrounds/
You don't know what you're talking about mongoose. If a council in Queensland has 'City' in its name it's a city.

Greater Brisbane is a metropolitan area.

All metropolises, like Greater Brisbane, are cities, but not all cities are metropolises. A metropolitan area is usually made up of many cities, and regions.

Why do you think the Scorpions were known as the Logan City Scorpions?

Why do you think Logan has traditionally called itself Logan City? It's one of the largest cities in Australia.

I never said Moreton Bay Region was a city. It's Queensland's equivalent of a shire, known up here as a Regional Council, incorporating many regions that previously had their own councils. The Sunshine Coast is another Regional Council.

How did you not know any of this?

Last edited:
PERTH is forecast to hit 3.5 million by 2050. What’s the predictions for these “cities” in Brisbane?
Predictions don't mean shit. Back in the 90s the experts projected the data for migration trends of the time over the next 50 or so years and claimed Brisbane would be bigger than Sydney and Melbourne. Migration trends changed during the 00s and made a mockery of that claim. All this crap people say about Perth overtaking Brisbane is based on migration trends during the mining boom of the 00s. I just saw a graph on the Australian Bureau of Statistics that showed Brisbane's increase in population has been twice as great as Perth in recent years. So don't take these projections too seriously.

https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/mf/3222.0

Brisbane needs another Broncos with 30k crowds at Suncorp drawing city wide, not another Manly drawing 10k from a limited catchment in a sub 20k stadium and struggling to survive with big brothers foot on their throat. I'd say the Brisbane market is actually going to be much harder than cracking Perth or Gosford, competing with Broncos for fans, sponsors and media interest is going to be a massive challenge for any new club, especially if it is underfunded and doesn't have the resources and power to wield.
Western Reds failed to draw 9,000 in 1996 and 1997, and you reckon a team in Perth will go better than Brisbane 2?

:eek:

Whem the Reds were introduced it was because NSWRL Premiership games that were played at the WACA in either the late 80s or early 90s
drew crowds of over 20,000. Reds got crowds of over 20,000 in 1995. The team was competitive but not world beaters, finishing in a respectable position. There was no reason for the fans to drop off like they did. The Adelaide Rams seemed to go better.

Perth Oval is nothing to gloat about. Perth's RL community is tiny. How many people are officially registered with the WARL as players? I heard there's only a few thousand registered players and just a few more watch it on TV. The Force didn't increase RU's participation levels significantly and they were always higher than the WARL.

If history is any indication, a Perth team will not be successful on the field like Melbourne because the Storm were able to pick the guts out of the Reds, Hunters and Crushers to form a strong team. Perth will not have that luxury.
The Force were never successful on the field and it translated into poor attendances by the time the ARU cut them loose. Even when they came in their crowds weren't all that impressive. RU has a large South African community in Perth. It wasn't enough.
Recent NRL games at Perth Oval have seen a steady decline in attendances. Only the double header at the brand new Perth Stadium and Origin drew a crowd, and they were boosted by tourists.
Perth Glory went from being the most well attended club in the NSL, a competition they dominated, to drawing lower crowds to their games in the A-league because they became also rans. Only two or three times has the Glory averaged more than 10,000 a season during the A-league era. This tells me Perth loves its fumbleball, win or lose, but anything else is attended only when the team is new or winning.

I would love Perth to have a team and for it to increase RL's footprint, but I fear any foray into this fumbleball loving land is probably more likely to end up badly. Too many stars will have to align for it to work. I cannot see it happening. The NRL will not do anything to jeopardise Melbourne, which is probably even more tenuous than Perth. Having Perth and Melbourne is just a bridge too far. It's either Perth or Melbourne. I would prefer Perth over Melbourne.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Logan is declared a city

The Department of Local Government started the Logan Shire in 1978. The new Logan Shire included the northern suburbs of both Albert and Beaudesert Shires.​

At the time, there were about 69,000 people living to the north of the Logan River.​

On 31 May 1978, Local Government Minister Russ Hinze introduced the Local Government (Change of Boundaries) Bill to create the new Logan Shire. This was officially approved on 8 June 1978. Elections were held with the general local government election in March 1979.​

The council took over financial responsibility for the new shire from the 1 July 1979.​

On 1 January 1981, Logan was declared a city. Our administration building in Wembley Road was opened in February 1981. Extensions to the building were completed in 1984 and 1993.

Extensions to the building were completed in 1984 and 1993.

https://www.logan.qld.gov.au/heritage/early-history-logan

Logan City

Logan is a young city with more than 300,000 people from 217 different cultures and it is located in the south of Brisbane’s metropolitan area. It also shares a border with the Gold Coast. Learn more about living in Logan on the Logan City Council’s website and Visit Logan. Other useful websites include Office of Economic Development which provides business support and investment assistance.

https://migration.qld.gov.au/regions/brisbane-and-surrounds/
You don't know what you're talking about mongoose. If a council in Queensland has 'City' in its name it's a city.

Greater Brisbane is a metropolitan area.

All metropolises, like Greater Brisbane, are cities, but not all cities are metropolises. A metropolitan area is usually made up of many cities, and regions.

Why do you think the Scorpions were known as the Logan City Scorpions?

Why do you think Logan has traditionally called itself Logan City? It's one of the largest cities in Australia.

I never said Moreton Bay Region was a city. It's Queensland's equivalent of a shire, known up here as a Regional Council, incorporating many regions that previously had their own councils. The Sunshine Coast is another Regional Council.

How did you not know any of this?

This isn't the point. I don't care about bureaucratic definitions and made up borders. From my experience and also another poster here, people from Logan do not see themselves living in a separate city to Brisbane. Logan hasn't got any strong cultural identity or separate history to the rest of Brisbane (at least not European history), hence why it only became a "city" in 1981. There is no city pride in Logan. Logan central doesn't even have a proper urban centre. At least Ipswich has Brisbane street and is full of heritage listed buildings.

jim_57

Staff member
Redland Bay is a suburb of Redland City. Why are you focussing on it and not areas like Wellington Point and Cleveland?

I am a Wynnum fan and attend their games. I drive through Redlands to get to Manly West. The areas have a lot in common. Wynnum is far closer to the boundaries of Redlands than the Brissie CBD.

The top of your Redland City is just a bit closer to Wynumm than some inner Brisbane suburbs and most of the "city" is further from Wynumm than Brisbane CBD. Apologies I keep getting Bay & City mixed up, mainly because nobody ever really uses Redland City except for the council.

They're referring to the metro area and advertising to 2.5 million people, not 326,000 in Logan. That's commercialism.

Commercialism and common sense. Exactly like any new multi-million $ NRL team should be doing wouldn't you think?

This isn't the point. I don't care about bureaucratic definitions and made up borders. From my experience and also another poster here, people from Logan do not see themselves living in a separate city to Brisbane. Logan hasn't got any strong cultural identity or separate history to the rest of Brisbane (at least not European history), hence why it only became a "city" in 1981. There is no city pride in Logan. Logan central doesn't even have a proper urban centre. At least Ipswich has Brisbane street and is full of heritage listed buildings.
Springwood is Logan's CBD and is currently undergoing a transformation.

https://issuu.com/logancitycouncil/docs/springwood_master_plan

I've lived in Logan for 20 years. The people here are different to those who live in the southern suburbs of Brisbane. Logan is a more down to Earth place to live. Go for a day trip to the Logan Hyperdome, then go to Garden City at Upper Mt Gravatt or Carindale Shopping Centre and you'll see two different sets of people. At the Logan Hyperdome you will see people driving BMWs to Fords to Holdens to every other brand but happy to wear RL gear of their favourite club and not worry what other people think of them. In the Brisbane shopping centres the people are wearing designer clothes and much less friendly.

There are plenty of historically significant buildings in Logan. The Logan Historical Museum at the Kingston Butter Factory is one example. The city itself is named after the most important man in the history of southeast Queensland. Captain Patrick Logan. He was an explorer who fought for the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement to continue when other leaders wanted to shut it down. Without him there would be no Brisbane or Ipswich or Gold Coast. He discovered many of the localities in the area.

When I talk to people and ask them what they did for the day they will say, "I had to go into Brisbane" or "I went to the Gold Coast".

I've spoken to people passing by at parks who told me they haven't been into Brisbane in years. Their words, not mine.

Last edited:
The top of your Redland City is just a bit closer to Wynumm than some inner Brisbane suburbs and most of the "city" is further from Wynumm than Brisbane CBD. Apologies I keep getting Bay & City mixed up, mainly because nobody ever really uses Redland City except for the council.

Commercialism and common sense. Exactly like any new multi-million $ NRL team should be doing wouldn't you think?
Sport is tribal. When the Sydney clubs put 'Sydney' in their name back in the mid 90s there was a revolt. Balmain and Canterbury Bankstown is what their fans wanted them to be because it defined their location.

I would much sooner get behind a team called Logan, South Brisbane or East Coast than one called Brisbane.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
The guy is from Brisbane - I think he knows about the intercity rivalries & divisions. Of course you can listen to posters from Perth & Canberra explain what team Brisbane wants

Key word - Brisbane.

Like you've pointed out before you and Donkeys live in Brisbane and therefore your opinions rule, not like there are any other poster on an Australian Rugby League forum that might live in Brisbane.

Latest posts