What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank the Brisbane bids

Perth Red

Post Whore
Greenberg was wasting millions on virtue signaling campaigns that did nothing for the game. An agreement could be made with the WA Gov to have an Origin match in Perth every year, with the fee paid by the government used to fund the Pirates QLD Cup team. That way the WA Gov could tell the tax payer that their money isn't just going back to the eastern states, but is being used to fund the development of the game in Perth so locals can attend high quality games all year. It's a PR win for the NRL, Origin and the WA Gov. No doubt you'll find something to whinge about.

NSW Cup is basically reserve grade with NRL squads being increased to 30. NRL clubs in QLD, Mel and Auckland spread their player affiliations over several QLD Cup teams each. NSW NRL teams go with just one club each. It would be too hard for the Pirates to compete.

I do see the irony in you asking who will pay for it, considering you reckon Brisbane 2 must bring in $35-40 million per year without Leagues clubs yet don't want a Perth team to have to fork out $5 million to run a QLD Cup club. Your double standards can be used against expansion to Perth, because if you cannot afford to run a club at the second tier level, there's no way you will survive in the big league.

I’m not sure you understand how the economics of the second tier and how it works lol. There isn’t a second tier RL club that isn’t funded by either pokies, an nrl club, or both. Reality is it is impossible to generate enough revenue to fund a second tier club, hence why no-one is doing so.
But somehow you think perth can buck this trend and be the shining light of rugby league by being the first ever to run a viable second tier comp just on fan and corporate support? I’ll have a pint of what you’re drinking!

I’m not sure you understand how the economics of the second tier and how it works lol. There isn’t a second tier RL club that isn’t funded by either pokies, an nrl club, or both. Reality is it is impossible to generate enough revenue to fund a second tier club, hence why no-one is doing so.
But somehow you think perth can buck this trend and be the shining light of rugby league by being the first ever to run a viable second tier comp just on fan and corporate support? I’ll have a pint of what you’re drinking!
I told you how to fund it without pokies. Funding from the WA Gov in exchange for a yearly Origin game at Perth Stadium. I explained ttiat n my last post. How it went over your head, God knows. Whatever is left over can be spent on development officers. I knew you would ignore this proposal and try to shift attention to something irrelevant.

You want Brisbane 2 to have no Leagues Club and generate $35-40 in revenue. Do you not see the silliness in what you're spewing?

Are pokies banned in your state?

Last edited:
Pubs and clubs in WA are banned from operating electronic gambling machines.

https://pokiessite.com/western-australia/

Put a line through any expansion to Perth. In 1996 and 1997 the Reds averaged less than 9,000.

https://www.afltables.com/rl/crowds/western_reds.html

When the NRL last went over there in 2016 and 2017 to have a total of 4 games over 4 rounds, the 2 from 2016 averaged 12,000 and the 2 in 2017 averaged 8,000.
https://www.afltables.com/rl/crowds/perth_o_vn.html
So when they get regular football over successive seasons their average goes back to what it was in 1996 and 1997. That rules out gate keepings as a reliable source of income for a Perth team. No Leagues Club, a hostile pro-fumbleball media would make any foray into Perth very shaky. How many companies would chalk up the $15-20million the club would need each year to survive in the NRL?

Put a team there and it'll only be a matter of time until fumbleball introduces Perth 3 to draw even more corporate support away from the Pirates

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I told you how to fund it without pokies. Funding from the WA Gov in exchange for a yearly Origin game at Perth Stadium. I explained ttiat n my last post. How it went over your head, God knows. Whatever is left over can be spent on development officers. I knew you would ignore this proposal and try to shift attention to something irrelevant.

You want Brisbane 2 to have no Leagues Club and generate $35-40 in revenue. Do you not see the silliness in what you're spewing?

Are pokies banned in your state?

that would require
A) a vision from the nrl for growing the game
B) a willingness form the nrl to forgo on revenue from SOO
C) a clear intent from nrl to have a Perth club so a multi millionaire or group of businessmen would be willing to spend their time and money putting together a club

I see none of the above at the moment

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pubs and clubs in WA are banned from operating electronic gambling machines.

https://pokiessite.com/western-australia/

Put a line through any expansion to Perth. In 1996 and 1997 the Reds averaged less than 9,000.

https://www.afltables.com/rl/crowds/western_reds.html

When the NRL last went over there in 2016 and 2017 to have a total of 4 games over 4 rounds, the 2 from 2016 averaged 12,000 and the 2 in 2017 averaged 8,000.
https://www.afltables.com/rl/crowds/perth_o_vn.html
So when they get regular football over successive seasons their average goes back to what it was in 1996 and 1997. That rules out gate keepings as a reliable source of income for a Perth team. No Leagues Club, a hostile pro-fumbleball media would make any foray into Perth very shaky. How many companies would chalk up the $15-20million the club would need each year to survive in the NRL?

Put a team there and it'll only be a matter of time until fumbleball introduces Perth 3 to draw even more corporate support away from the Pirates

what ever, your as bad as the Sydney suburbanites!

Reflector

Juniors
I cannot speak on behalf of other people, so I will just give my thoughts on the subject so you can see my perspective. I am 35, born in Brisbane and live in Logan. I know all about the history of the BRL. I grew up watching it and the QCUP from the mid 90s onwards. My team is Wynnum, but I grew up in Easts Territory. I never supported the Fortitude Valley Diehards, but if they were the second team and represented all of Brisbane I would make them my NRL team and continue supporting Wynnum Manly at QCup level.

People under 30 who do not love rugby league like I do may not know too much about Valleys, but I fail to see how that works against them. Once they're made aware of the history of the club, that they are Brisbane's version of Rabbitohs in terms of success and grandeur, they will see them as a far more likable option than the Bombers. Throw in all the legends who played for this great club, such as Wally Lewis, and the fact their loyal fan base fought tirelessly to bring the club back from the dead, and they can build a narrative that strikes at the heartstrings in a way that a plastic franchise like the Bombers and Donkeys just cannot.

If they admitted the Diehards to the NRL, the NRL should fly out Bruce Willis and have him kick off their debut game.

Reflector

Juniors
Every Brisbane bid is a billion times more valuable than anything coming out of Perth.

You're very hypocritical in how you judge Brisbane and Sydney so harshly, to a degree that is impossible to live up to, but set the pass bar for Perth and Melbourne so low that you'll praise them no matter how few fans and local juniors they add to the game.

What you want from Brisbane 2 isn't necessary for it to survive. You're just going with that bullshit criteria because you know no one will meet it, thus you can continue to whinge. I wontdn't be surprised if you were worried that Brisbane 2, 3 and 4 would put an end to your Storm's success, as they will havo to find another well to draw water from. No more Cronks or Smiths for privileged Melbourne.

Not necessarily- provided they can find an extra contract to sign for every one of the 3 or 4 teams in Brisbane...

T-Boon

Coach
It’s fun to rank and argue about the best bid. One thing I notice is there isn’t going to be agreement on the best. Most of them are pretty good. I would rather we accept any of the bids on this list for 2022 than punt it for consideration in another 5 years.

jim_57

Staff member
1. Firehawks - Not perfect but from what we do know I think they show the potential to tick the most boxes. Simple North/South rivalry with Broncos, new brand to be inclusive, training base & leagues club pretty central to a lot of the city, plan to play at Suncorp

2. Dolphins & Western Corridor.

I've been pretty vocal about Redcliffe's shortfalls and I will stand by them. If they plan to play at Dolphin Oval full time they will only ever be a mediocre club at best. Half of the Moreton Bay region their fans claim will all get behind them would find it easier to get to Suncorp than Dolphin Oval. That and most of them have no real connection with Redcliffe the region or the Dolphins club.

With a few tweeks they could be the strongest in my eyes. I get the vibe people think being a strong QLD Cup club means they'll walk in to the NRL as is and magically be a huge club at the higher level, not going to happen.

Ipswich/Western Corridor is similar. The name & branding they choose could be the difference between 1st & 4th. Ipswich isn't going to attract a lot of fans from anywhere other than Ipswich so if they want to play in Ipswich in the future that should come in to consideration, likewise if they use the name Ipswich or Jets.

4. Bombers - Mostly just because of the shitty name, they also plan to be based on the same side of the river as the Broncos. I will say though if they turn out to be 'just another Broncos' it wouldn't quite be the negative people seem to think it will be. Again with tweaks they could be the best.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
As a side note I think it should be considered that whatever team they pick will affect any potential 3rd Brisbane/ 4th SE Queensland team further down the line.

If they pick a city club like Firehawks or Bombers that covers Brisbane/Suncorp in my opinion. I'd then look at either Sunshine Coast or Ipswich as the 4th SEQ team if/when those areas are large enough to support their own team.

If they go with Moreton Bay or Western Corridor it still leaves whichever misses out open. In that case it should be one then the other with the North covered by Moreton Bay and South West covered WC.

A Perth side would need a Leagues Club, even if they don't call it that. It would help them build a connection with the community. Pokies aren't needed. With the right financing it could offer something for everyone. Put a big movie theatre screen up to watch sport on the weekend and host films during the week. Have a room to host kids parties with a Pirates theme. Have a stage for local music groups and comedians to perform. Provide good food. It will draw in customers, especially if it promotes an us vs them theme. Lots of South Africans and English there, so add cuisine from those countries to the menu. Pool, snooker ans darts could be run there to draw in the English. It would be a good alternative to the fumbleball.

1. Firehawks - Not perfect but from what we do know I think they show the potential to tick the most boxes. Simple North/South rivalry with Broncos, new brand to be inclusive, training base & leagues club pretty central to a lot of the city, plan to play at Suncorp

2. Dolphins & Western Corridor.

I've been pretty vocal about Redcliffe's shortfalls and I will stand by them. If they plan to play at Dolphin Oval full time they will only ever be a mediocre club at best. Half of the Moreton Bay region their fans claim will all get behind them would find it easier to get to Suncorp than Dolphin Oval. That and most of them have no real connection with Redcliffe or the Dolphins.

With a few tweeks they could be the strongest in my eyes. I get the vibe people think being a strong QLD Cup club means they'll walk in to the NRL as is and magically be a huge club at the higher level, not going to happen.

Ipswich/Western Corridor is similar. The name & branding they choose could be the difference between 1st & 4th. Ipswich isn't going to attract a lot of fans from anywhere other than Ipswich so if they want to play in Ipswich in the future that should come in to consideration, likewise if they use the name Ipswich or Jets.

4. Bombers - Mostly just because of the shitty name, they also plan to be based on the same side of the river as the Broncos. I will say though if they turn out to be 'just another Broncos' it wouldn't be the negative people seem to think it will be. Again with tweaks they could be the best.
You summed it up quite well. I reckon Brisbane 2 should be based in the south-east, which is Easts territory. If Brisbane's Olympic bid is successful then thr QEII Stadium at Nathan will need to be rebuilt, and could become the permanent home for Brisbane 2.

I reckon any BRL club looking to bid for a licence should look at merging with another club to strengthen their geographic footprint and fanbase. Easts would be best served teaming up with Wynnum Manly to serve the eastern suburbs, Redlands and Logan. Wynnum have expanded into Redlands over the last 10 years. Easts have subdistrict clubs in the northern suburbs of Logan. 325,000 people live in Logan and it produces a ton of talent.

Maybe Souths could be added into the mix to cover the entire area south of the Brisbane River.

jim_57

Staff member
You summed it up quite well. I reckon Brisbane 2 should be based in the south-east, which is Easts territory. If Brisbane's Olympic bid is successful then thr QEII Stadium at Nathan will need to be rebuilt, and could become the permanent home for Brisbane 2.

I reckon any BRL club looking to bid for a licence should look at merging with another club to strengthen their geographic footprint and fanbase. Easts would be best served teaming up with Wynnum Manly to serve the eastern suburbs, Redlands and Logan. Wynnum have expanded into Redlands over the last 10 years. Easts have subdistrict clubs in the northern suburbs of Logan. 325,000 people live in Logan and it produces a ton of talent.

Maybe Souths could be added into the mix to cover the entire area south of the Brisbane River.

Not sure I'd agree on the Firehawks using QEII, it would have to be converted back to rectangular for a start then it isn't really central. Suncorp is still the best 40k+ Rugby League stadium in Australia, if anything Brisbane could do with a 20-25k 2nd stadium for the Roar and Reds to play at to free up Suncorp for bigger events (2× NRL clubs, Origin, International RL, RU & Football, concerts).

I do agree with Easts looking to partner with Wynumm and/or Souths Logan, likewise Redcliffe could try and get Sunshine Coast & Norths on board.

Not sure I'd agree on the Firehawks using QEII, it would have to be converted back to rectangular for a start then it isn't really central. Suncorp is still the best 40k+ Rugby League stadium in Australia, if anything Brisbane could do with a 20-25k 2nd stadium for the Roar and Reds to play at to free up Suncorp for bigger events (2× NRL clubs, Origin, International RL, RU & Football, concerts).

I do agree with Easts looking to partner with Wynumm and/or Souths Logan, likewise Redcliffe could try and get Sunshine Coast & Norths on board.
Moreton Bay Devils has a nice ring to it. Norths, Redcliffe and Sunshine Coast could be the feeder clubs.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors

This gives me massive Man United and City vibes.

Reflector

Juniors
As I said a while back, while Dolphin Oval is walking distance from Kippa-Ring station and (provided it's upgraded) would be perfectly adequate for games with 20k crowds or less, the Dolphins should aim to play half their matches at Suncorp. This could ensure they have that 'local team' feel to them for those on the Peninsula and northern suburbs, while also maximising gate takings at Suncorp.

The best way to organise fixtures would be to play half at Redcliffe and half at Suncorp. The big-drawing fixtures (vs Cowboys, Broncos, Souths, Parra, Dragons, Eels and Bulldogs) could be at Suncorp, while the lower drawing fixtures (vs Knights, Raiders, Storm, Penrith, Cronulla etc) could be at Dolphin Oval.

MugaB

Coach
As I said a while back, while Dolphin Oval is walking distance from Kippa-Ring station and (provided it's upgraded) would be perfectly adequate for games with 20k crowds or less, the Dolphins should aim to play half their matches at Suncorp. This could ensure they have that 'local team' feel to them for those on the Peninsula and northern suburbs, while also maximising gate takings at Suncorp.

The best way to organise fixtures would be to play half at Redcliffe and half at Suncorp. The big-drawing fixtures (vs Cowboys, Broncos, Souths, Parra, Dragons, Eels and Bulldogs) could be at Suncorp, while the lower drawing fixtures (vs Knights, Raiders, Storm, Penrith, Cronulla etc) could be at Dolphin Oval.
I read an article last year that redcliffe would be open to do just that, more than half at Suncorp, the rest at the local dolphins oval, but i think they need to atleast join with norths devils, or sunshine coast falcons at a minimum for them to be a proper bid, if only to rid the redcliffe name and encapsulate more of the northern suburbs of the SEQ, no point just being redcliffe

Latest posts