1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL and Super League along with the match programme for the coming round!

Ahead of Women in League Round this weekend, this bumper issue has plenty of features. Paul Jobber chats to Erin Molan about life in broadcasting, footy and more. Joshua Wells talks to NRLW player Botille Vette-Welsh about her rise in the women's game. We've also got Rick Edgerton's weekly finals piece, this week looking at the spines of each of the top eight sides. We also look at Old Boys Day through the eyes of Newcastle prop Daniel Saifiti.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Round 19 programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 17 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Rank the Brisbane bids

Discussion in 'NRL Expansion' started by flippikat, Jun 9, 2020.

1. greenBV4

greenBV4 Juniors

3 players who were mostly overlooked by other clubs and would be nothing close to what they are if they weren't picked up by Melbourne at a young age I might add

And after loosing the likes of Inglis and others?

I guess the same way the Roosters keep their team together? Or the Broncos over the years have had majority of the Maroons team neither of them have ever had to play for no points, have premierships stripped, and cop an Australian record fine.

Its since been admitted that the penalty was possibly a bit too steep, especially when compared to following breaches

But yeah, the NRL favours the Storm

And as I said before, if Melbourne brings no value then why did they invest so much? Return on investment
    The biggest thing Rugby League lost in the SL war was its balls.

flippikat likes this.
  2. siv

siv Bench

Wonder if News Ltd are going to consider selling the Broncos to one of these bids ?

blue bags likes this.
  3. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Get Rid of The Donkeys Juniors

Broncos did a lot of shady shit in the 90s and 00s.

Who knows with the Roosters. They did get Coopet Cronk and $onny Bi11.

The NRL had no choice but to pretend they were putting an end to their favouritism towards the Storm in 2010. The club was owned and funded by the co.pany that had a 50% stake in the ARL. It was a PR disaster for News Ltd and the ARL.

A year later the News of The World scandal revealed just how low News Ltd was willing to sink just to sell newspapers. They did what they did with the Storm to sell Foxtel subscriptions.

blue bags likes this.
  4. blue bags

blue bags Bench

meanwhile the Sydney northern , Central coast, area is a NRL ghost town

5. mongoose

mongoose First Grade

I don't subscribe to the view that good juniors are ready made first graders. Didn't the Broncos pass on Cam Smith?
    Drinkwater, Brandon Smith, Hughes? seriously lol were they even highly rated before they entered the Storm system? Tigers probably could have kept Papenhauzen if they wanted to.

6. greenBV4

greenBV4 Juniors

they were all nobodies, thats the beauty of the storm system, they turn unwanted rocks into gems, but then other clubs supporters say they were poached

sure it would be great if we managed to get some talent out of victoria (and hopefully one day we do) but it's not like the storm are going out buying/poaching developed talent, they are scouting out young talent falling through the cracks throughtout nsw, qld, nz and the pacific and moulding them into stars

Who was the last well known player the storm "bought"?

7. greenBV4

greenBV4 Juniors

Anyway its gone way off topic

is there any new news out of any of the Brisbane Bids?

The NRL and Vlandy's need to come out as say once and for all if expansion is going to happen and roughly when, and make an offical call for bids if that is the intention. I think once that happens we will end up seeing more bids pop up then just the Firehawks, Dolphins, Jets and Bombers

8. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Brandon Smith and Jerome Smith were signed with the Cowboys. Hughes even played a game.

9. Get Rid of The Donkeys

This is BS. The potential of B Slater, C Smith, C Cronk and G Inglis was there for all to see when they were running around for Northern Suburbs Devils in the Queensland Cup.

10. greenBV4

greenBV4 Juniors

Then why did the broncos pass on them?

11. greenBV4

greenBV4 Juniors

Signed and couldn't get a game
    Came to Melbourne and improved 10-fold

Same as paps, addo-carr, and many others

MugaB likes this.
  12. flippikat

flippikat Juniors

Going way off topic? In the expansion forum? Yep.. sounds about normal here hehehe.

But seriously, you're right.. there needs to be an update on where we're at with the "Brisbane 2" project - hopefully soon. With all the complexities of the 2nd wave of Covid, I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed a season or two.. we don't even have any clarity on next season, let alone 2, 3 years from now.

blue bags and greenBV4 like this.
  13. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Coach

They just weren’t talented or didn’t look like they’d have longevity?

blue bags likes this.
  14. greenBV4

greenBV4 Juniors

exactly, thats my point, they weren't poached or stolen from queensland if noone else wanted them

blue bags likes this.
  15. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

hw can they possibly decide on expansion when they have no idea what their revenue is going to look like in years ahead? We still haven’t got the details to know if the the fox deal is better or worse than last time. We d8 t have a fta deal beyond the largely reduced one of the next two years and who knows how long crowds are going to be impacted. I’d say there is no way they are going to announce consolidation of Brisbane (it’s not expansion to put another team in a heartland city) anytime in next 12-24 months.

blue bags likes this.
  16. greenBV4

greenBV4 Juniors

and they should come out and publically say that, with a date/year that they will reasses. Instead of keeping the current public bids on their toes and the ones on the wings unsure whether to come forward or not.

flippikat and MugaB like this.
  17. titoelcolombiano

titoelcolombiano Bench

RL probably sits pretty low on the sports ranking in Perth, that's not going to change without an NRL team though.

On financing, there are only two clubs currently that turn a profit in the NRL, so I don't see why your're applying that criteria just to Perth. There is clearly something to work with there and if we want the game to grow outside of Brisbane and Sydney (no matter how long that takes) you have to invest in new markets. The benefits are many from new TV slots ($$$), national sponsorships, new fans attending games, new fans watching games, opening up a new player market (no matter how long it takes).

The game is better off with Perth, the fourth largest market in Australia, than without it.

flippikat, reanimate and greenBV4 like this.
  18. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Going on attendances and amateur growth in last ten years Id say there is plenty of support here and has real potential to be Perth's number two professional sport. Id rank them at moment AFL>>>>>>>Basketball>>Soccer>Union>Netball

19. Get Rid of The Donkeys

I'm not totally against Adelaide and Perth. Just cautious because of what happened in the 1990s. My fear is if the NRL were to expand to Adelaide and Perth and it failed then it would cause serious harm to the game. It would be a PR nightmare and probably turn the few people who follow the game over there towards RU. Advertisers would use it against RL.

I also think the NRL needs to undo the damage caused by Quayle and Arthurson before it worries about Adelaide and Perth. RL was far stronger in Brisbane pre-1988, with strong tribalism present across the City of Brisbane and extending into what is now Redlands, Logan and Ipswich. When a club made the GF the entire region of that team would break out in their colours. That doesn't really happen when the Broncos make the GF. Wests and Brothers no longer field senior teams, Valleys are stuck in the BRL and the Scorpions were forced into extinction by the Logan City Council and apathetic QRL. Souths are on life support. It's not good for the future production of quality players to lose clubs at this level.

There's a podcast about the BRL called 'When They Were Kings' on YouTube and Facebook. It talks about how much weaker RL is in Brisbane these days now that the tribalism has gone.

I can attest to this. When I go to a Wynnum Manly game at Kougari Oval there is always an amazing buzz around the ground. It provides an atmosphere that is seriously lacking at Broncos games that are played at Lang Park. I've attended a couple of standing room only matches at Kougari Oval. It provided a far more enjoyable game day experience than any NRL game I've ever attended. It must have been 1000 times better pre-1988. Brisbane needs 3 clubs and they must all be from the BRL. Time for the Donkeys to go so RL can get back to the heights it was at in Brisbane pre-1988. Titans should become the Diehards.

20. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Bench

The situation in the 90s is so vastly different from now that they're totally incomparable, and judging Perth or Adelaide based on what happened then is just a dumb thing to do.

Besides the exact same argument could be used about Brisbane and the Crushers, and I think you'd agree wholeheartedly that it's f**king stupid to judge expansion in Brisbane based on the Crushers failure.

Also if expansion were to fail anywhere it'd be damaging to the sport, yet to survive and thrive you need to grow. No risk no reward is just the nature of the beast.

reanimate likes this.