What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

Stallion

First Grade
So union can take over with one top tier club but nrl can’t hold it with 7 clubs in spitting distance? Stop talking drivel.

Still not understanding the geography,population,culture and rivalry of Sydney clubs! Don't think you will ever work it out! You're the dribbler PR.

Stallion

First Grade
And they can have one In 2050 after the 4 priorities before them are in!

Well before that I suggest. As you may not know I'm a fan of the West Coast Pirates gaining admission. And also Brisbane 2. Central Coast Bears is an relatively easier consolidation fix for the NRL. The Pirates are a great tv timeslot and Australia wide relevance angle. And Brisbane 2 is long overdue.All are worthy and will improve the NRL going forward.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Still not understanding the geography,population,culture and rivalry of Sydney clubs! Don't think you will ever work it out! You're the dribbler PR.

Answer the question, how is union taking over with one team playing across the harbour yet in your opinion nrl can’t hold the region with clubs surrounding the whole area. You must have an opinion how this is possible seei as you are claiming this is what is happening.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well before that I suggest. As you may not know I'm a fan of the West Coast Pirates gaining admission. And also Brisbane 2. Central Coast Bears is an relatively easier consolidation fix for the NRL. The Pirates are a great tv timeslot and Australia wide relevance angle. And Brisbane 2 is long overdue.All are worthy and will improve the NRL going forward.

Great, come back in 2050 and champion the cause for a Gosford club!

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Most schools have union playing with little rugby league.
You know that the majority of Private Schools have been running Rugby Union programs in them for decades, right? This is not a new thing. Even with this, Rugby League has been growing in numbers and goes from strength to strength. Apart from International Rugby Union, the game’s profile has been on the decline in most areas. This is evident by the Super Rugby recently culling teams in Aus and NZ in order to establish clubs in Japan and Argentina.

The Union is not going to unseat League just because there isn’t a club on the Central Coast or North Shore. Rugby was already huge on the Nortb Shore while the Bears were there because the North Shore is loaded with Private Schools. Your argument doesn’t stand.

You can try to validate having a Central Coast or Bears team in whatever way you like but you haven’t provided a solid argument. The only way the Bears will be back is if they move to another state and slap NSRLFC on their back like the Swans do with SMFC.

Stallion

First Grade
You know that the majority of Private Schools have been running Rugby Union programs in them for decades, right? This is not a new thing. Even with this, Rugby League has been growing in numbers and goes from strength to strength. Apart from International Rugby Union, the game’s profile has been on the decline in most areas. This is evident by the Super Rugby recently culling teams in Aus and NZ in order to establish clubs in Japan and Argentina.

The Union is not going to unseat League just because there isn’t a club on the Central Coast or North Shore. Rugby was already huge on the Nortb Shore while the Bears were there because the North Shore is loaded with Private Schools. Your argument doesn’t stand.

You can try to validate having a Central Coast or Bears team in whatever way you like but you haven’t provided a solid argument. The only way the Bears will be back is if they move to another state and slap NSRLFC on their back like the Swans do with SMFC.

How on earth is reclaiming lost areas not worthy of pursuing! If the Central Coast Bears happened their would be two areas with juniors for rugby league to aspire to. Give the north Sydney union toffs a chance of playing a decent game as well! Think you have the dodgy argument ! Population numbers alone demands at the least two clubs from Northern Sydney to Gosford. Do the maths champ. And it's the 21st century: Time for such schools to allow for rugby league, especially as they are allowing AFL and soccer but still no rugby league! It's time to get with the real world and not the world of bigots.

Last edited:

joshreading

Staff member
The strength and weakness of RL is the clubs.

For the game to expand it will need the whole of the NRL to pull in the same direction.

I don't think the game should cull any of the Sydney clubs, however, I do think that a number of the clubs cannot actually afford to stay in the NRL long term without innovative thinking.

Firstly, I would add:

1. A new Brisbane side. The reason is dual in so far that Brisbane offers the greatest overall win with crowds, sponsors and TV revenue increase.

There are a number of strong contenders in SQ - I would actually force them to the table to create some form of united proposal. The new Brisbane club must be a powerhouse from day 1.

2. Southern NZ side out of Wellington / Christchurch offers a greater presence in NZ and strengthen the NZ side (and Pacific RL in general)

I would qualify this in saying that NZ needs to prove guaranteed increase in TV income.

This would essentially secure QLD and NZ for the next 10 - 20 years

Secondarily, I think that a couple of the Sydney clubs should consider becoming genuine dual city clubs. This would not just be playing a couple of games but arguably a significant shift in a number of areas.

This would include taking 4 games to a single city with atleast a ten year agreement backed by the NRL (financially with an additional 1 million in funding - $250 thousand per game) and with additional finance and support sought from those locations governments tec. Additionally, it would need direct 'buy in' from the local Rugby League in terms of partnership to benefit both directly.

For instance.

1. Western Panthers - Penrith (9 games - 4 Perth)
2. Southern Sharks - Cronulla (9 games - Adelaide 4)
3. Sea Eagles - Manly (9 Games - SC - 4)
4. East Coast Roosters - Sydney (9 games - CC - 4)

To work this well FOR Sydney though, I would coordinate this shift with a shift to a Sydney and 'National' Conference.

Sides with a Sydney base would play in the Sydney conference home and away for the first part of the season for a 'Sydney Club premiership'. The Sydney clubs would work together to create a 'Sydney Conference' season ticket for each clubs fans. (I would name the Sydney based and National Conferences - they would play home and away then against the other conference once or thereabouts)

Additionally, I would require ALL other clubs to play at least 1 game away with strategic coordination to give places such as Adelaide and Perth at least 2 additional games bringing their total to 6)

5. Brisbane 2 - Mackay?
6. NQ - Cairns
7. Titans - Perth (this game would be included in a Perth Western Panthers season ticket)
8. Broncos - Perth (game would be included in a Perth Western Panthers season ticket)
9. Warriors - Hamilton
10. NZ 2 - Dunedin (playing base - Wellington / Christchurch)
11. Parramatta - Darwin
12. Wests Tigers -
13. South Sydney -
14. Dragons -
15. Newcastle - Coffs Harbour?
16. Bulldogs -
17. Raiders -
18. Melbourne - Hobart

In doing this, the new areas would get a fairly significant game share without having to jump to a full game schedule which frankly for Adelaide in particularly is unlikely to be well supported especially with 12 or so home games.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Population numbers alone demands at the least two clubs from Northern Sydney to Gosford. Do the maths champ.
Remember that part where we did the maths and I showed you that the Central Coast only had a population of 325,000? That the remaining 1.4mil in North Sydney of your 1.7mil argument is part of Sydney which has a population 5.02mil and is serviced by 9 clubs. If each of those clubs had an equal share of that population it would still be greater than the 325,000 in the Central Coast.

Your population argument defeats you. Perth: 2mil - no club, Adelaide: 1.3mil - no club, Melbourne: 4mil - 1 Club, Brisbane: 2.3mil - 1 club, NZ: 4.7mil - 1 club.

And it's the 21st century: .
I’m aware of what century it is, Pony. I’m not the one trying to argue why a club from a bygone era should be resurrected over establishing clubs in a market that has 0 representation. The North Shore at least has Manly. If you wanna blame anyone for the lack of club in the Central Coast, blame Manly. They’re the ones who cannibalised the merger with norths and retreated back to Manly. It wasn’t an NRL decision to abandon the Central Coast.

Your argument of dislocation/travel distances doesn’t hold up either. Newcastle fans travel a lot further to go watch their team play. Cowboys fans aren’t just isolated to Townsville. They come from everywhere too just to see a game. Why couldn’t people in the Central Coast support Manly or any other club? If you’re a true fan you’ll travel any distance to see your team, not just support the one on your doorstep.

Your argument about reclaiming lost areas is also flawed. We had a club in WA, We had a club in Adelaide and we lost them. Why shouldn’t we reclaim those areas before the Central Coast? That would at least make it a NATIONAL game.

You say that having the Central Coast opens up a junior player stream , well guess what buck-o, clubs have already been scouting players there. There are plenty in the NRL from the central coast and they haven’t needed a local NRL club to get there because there’s already 9 clubs in NSW looking for players in that area. Zane Tetevano, Matt Ikuvalu, Joel Taufa’ao, Tom Starling just to name a few who are currently running around... and the irony is that the Bears didn’t pick up any of them for the ISP. There’s plenty of NRL opportunities for Central Coast players to break through. Places like WA & SA need those pathways established to grow the game there.

You’ve lost the plot if you think bringing another team into NSW is expansion. If anything it will cannibalise the supporter base, corporate dollars and broadcast spots. Yes having the Bears would mean another game IF another club was also included but if they’re both on the east coast then you don’t get an new slot, you just have another game competing for air time and crowds in the same market. There is very little benefit to a Central Coast club in the bigger picture.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I thought we’d agreed Gosford can have a team in 2050 after the 4 more beneficial locations have clubs. Why are we still discussing the bears?

Stallion

First Grade
Remember that part where we did the maths and I showed you that the Central Coast only had a population of 325,000? That the remaining 1.4mil in North Sydney of your 1.7mil argument is part of Sydney which has a population 5.02mil and is serviced by 9 clubs. If each of those clubs had an equal share of that population it would still be greater than the 325,000 in the Central Coast.

Your population argument defeats you. Perth: 2mil - no club, Adelaide: 1.3mil - no club, Melbourne: 4mil - 1 Club, Brisbane: 2.3mil - 1 club, NZ: 4.7mil - 1 club.

I’m aware of what century it is, Pony. I’m not the one trying to argue why a club from a bygone era should be resurrected over establishing clubs in a market that has 0 representation. The North Shore at least has Manly. If you wanna blame anyone for the lack of club in the Central Coast, blame Manly. They’re the ones who cannibalised the merger with norths and retreated back to Manly. It wasn’t an NRL decision to abandon the Central Coast.

Your argument of dislocation/travel distances doesn’t hold up either. Newcastle fans travel a lot further to go watch their team play. Cowboys fans aren’t just isolated to Townsville. They come from everywhere too just to see a game. Why couldn’t people in the Central Coast support Manly or any other club? If you’re a true fan you’ll travel any distance to see your team, not just support the one on your doorstep.

Your argument about reclaiming lost areas is also flawed
. We had a club in WA, We had a club in Adelaide and we lost them. Why shouldn’t we reclaim those areas before the Central Coast? That would at least make it a NATIONAL game.

You say that having the Central Coast opens up a junior player stream , well guess what buck-o, clubs have already been scouting players there. There are plenty in the NRL from the central coast and they haven’t needed a local NRL club to get there because there’s already 9 clubs in NSW looking for players in that area. Zane Tetevano, Matt Ikuvalu, Joel Taufa’ao, Tom Starling just to name a few who are currently running around... and the irony is that the Bears didn’t pick up any of them for the ISP. There’s plenty of NRL opportunities for Central Coast players to break through. Places like WA & SA need those pathways established to grow the game there.

You’ve lost the plot if you think bringing another team into NSW is expansion. If anything it will cannibalise the supporter base, corporate dollars and broadcast spots. Yes having the Bears would mean another game IF another club was also included but if they’re both on the east coast then you don’t get an new slot, you just have another game competing for air time and crowds in the same market. There is very little benefit to a Central Coast club in the bigger picture.

Lol. Your logic is flawed. You don't read well do you!? The Central Coast Bears is a fix for a lost preexisting market and also a consolidation on the eastern seaboard. It's laughable you don't think the tyrrany of distance has no bearing in a country the size of Australia ! Not only is your math lacking ,so is your geography! Australia is massuve with a population mostly centered in its cities! Two of those cities happen to historically love rugby league. Sydney being the largest by far with established support and Brisbane being monopolized by a greedy Broncos club! At least you had a go though. Northern Sydney is massive and only one team in the top flight all the way to the Central Coast is underservicing the area. Sydney's population is predicted to rise by another 1million over the coming decade and you have conveniently omitted Wollongong which is part and parcel of St George Illawarra Dragons. The regions deserve and command the established top flight rugby league clubs you take as excessive. Australia's largest market also loves rugby league. You can't count and you don't respect established supporter bases. But nice try anyway!

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Its laughable yoy dint thinknthe tyrrany if distance has no bearing in a country the size of Australia ! Not only is your math lacking ,so is your geography.
I know my geography. I was born & raised in NSW and have lived all over this country , so you might want to know a bit about the person you’re attempting to insult before opening your mouth and looking like a fool.

Gosford/Central Coast is not that greater distance from Sydney Metro, especially when you compare it to places like Newcastle and Wollongong. It’s 1hr 17 mins from the middle of Sydney to Gosford. Putting that into other contexts: Sydney-Wollongong 1hr 29mins, Brisbane-Bribie Island (just north of Redcliffe) 1hr 30, Melbourne-Geelong 1hr, Perth-Sydney 41hrs by road. We already went into the population overmatch of these places so I won’t spell that out for you again.

Sydney's population is predicted to rise by another 1million over the coming decade and you have conveniently omitted Wollongong which is part and parcel of St George Illawarra Dragons.
You just punched another hole in your argument referencing Wollongong. It’s already serviced by the Dragons, that bit you are correct on.... but it is 1 club servicing a 2 areas (or 1 large area if you want to amalgamate them instead of considering them in isolation). This is exactly what the Northern Eagles were supposed to do but it was the club runners who messed it up, otherwise the Central Coast would still have a team, but I’m sure this wouldn’t appease you.
Northern Sydney is massive and only one team in the top flight all the way to the Central Coast is underservising the area.
North Sydney is large in population, yes, but it is part of the Sydney metro area which combined has 5mil population serviced by 9 clubs. The Central Coast, which is its own region and not part of metro Sydney, is massive by area, yes, but only has a population of 325,000. You stating that Northern Sydney has a pop of 1.7mil is only creating false stats to service your own purpose and isn’t an accurate reflection.

Anyway, Pony, it’s been nice embarrassing you but I think you do a better job of it yourself. You keep crying into your Citibank jersey though. I’ve got NRL games to watch and a team to follow.

Stallion

First Grade
I know my geography. I was born & raised in NSW and have lived all over this country , so you might want to know a bit about the person you’re attempting to insult before opening your mouth and looking like a fool.

Gosford/Central Coast is not that greater distance from Sydney Metro, especially when you compare it to places like Newcastle and Wollongong. It’s 1hr 17 mins from the middle of Sydney to Gosford. Putting that into other contexts: Sydney-Wollongong 1hr 29mins, Brisbane-Bribie Island (just north of Redcliffe) 1hr 30, Melbourne-Geelong 1hr, Perth-Sydney 41hrs by road. We already went into the population overmatch of these places so I won’t spell that out for you again.

You just punched another hole in your argument referencing Wollongong. It’s already serviced by the Dragons, that bit you are correct on.... but it is 1 club servicing a 2 areas (or 1 large area if you want to amalgamate them instead of considering them in isolation). This is exactly what the Northern Eagles were supposed to do but it was the club runners who messed it up, otherwise the Central Coast would still have a team, but I’m sure this wouldn’t appease you.

North Sydney is large in population, yes, but it is part of the Sydney metro area which combined has 5mil population serviced by 9 clubs. The Central Coast, which is its own region and not part of metro Sydney, is massive by area, yes, but only has a population of 325,000. You stating that Northern Sydney has a pop of 1.7mil is only creating false stats to service your own purpose and isn’t an accurate reflection.

Anyway, Pony, it’s been nice embarrassing you but I think you do a better job of it yourself. You keep crying into your Citibank jersey though. I’ve got NRL games to watch and a team to follow.

Lol. Apparently Wollongongs population number doesn't count! ? You fool. And same back at you as far as knowing whom you are addressing! You can't count and your geographical understanding of Sydney is lacking!

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Lol. Apparently Wollongongs population number doesn't count! ? You fool. And same back at you as far as knowing whom you are addressing! You can't count and your geographical understanding of Sydney is lacking!
*Clap Clap Clap* typical Pony mentality of using childish insults to back up a weak point of view. Using Wollongong to detract from the discussion we’re having about the Central coast. Wollongong doesn’t have a bid in the expansion pipeline and has the Dragons as a club so It’s a moot point

I’m sure you have Google, champ. You could always provide us with the population of Wollongong yourself. You’ll probably find that it isn’t hugely different to the Central Coast and still won’t help you substantiate your argument.

Good luck with your bias opinion. If you want the NRL to return to the NSWRL then stick to watching the ISP because it’s as close as you’ll get.

Stallion

First Grade
*Clap Clap Clap* typical Pony mentality of using childish insults to back up a weak point of view. Using Wollongong to detract from the discussion we’re having about the Central coast. Wollongong doesn’t have a bid in the expansion pipeline and has the Dragons as a club so It’s a moot point

I’m sure you have Google, champ. You could always provide us with the population of Wollongong yourself. You’ll probably find that it isn’t hugely different to the Central Coast and still won’t help you substantiate your argument.

Good luck with your bias opinion. If you want the NRL to return to the NSWRL then stick to watching the ISP because it’s as close as you’ll get.

We all have biased opinions. Just some of us don't realise it!

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
We all have biased opinions. Just some of us don't realise it!
Well at least you're seeing the error of your ways. It's one thing to have an opinion and accept another's approach to the same issue, it's a whole other issue if you're just beligerently ignorant because someone provides evidence to negate your argument.

We'll accept that we both have differing philosophies on how the game can be improved and expanded, and leave it at that.

Stallion

First Grade
Well at least you're seeing the error of your ways. It's one thing to have an opinion and accept another's approach to the same issue, it's a whole other issue if you're just beligerently ignorant because someone provides evidence to negate your argument.

We'll accept that we both have differing philosophies on how the game can be improved and expanded, and leave it at that.

THERE WAS NO ERROR OF WAYS. You were the abuser not me! Perhaps you might have learnt something too? For my part you reinforced further lines of detail for my pro rugby league and respect approach. History does count. Without it the NRL is nothing!

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
THERE WAS NO ERROR OF WAYS. You were the abuser not me! Perhaps you might have learnt something too? For my part you reinforced further lines of detail for my pro rugby league and respect approach. History does counth. Without it the NRL is nothing!
Whatever helps you sleep at night, Pony.

Look back at my original post on page 6. Respectful whist still offering an opposing view. I like how you try to twist people’s opinions as being anti-rugby league and anti-respect just because they differ from your party line of bringing in more NSW clubs. The only thing you’re proving is that you’re stubborn and can’t accept other people’s opinions without taking offence to it.

You speak of respect but don’t offer it yourself unless the person supports your point of view. It’s not just towards me either. You’re an actively belligerent keyboard warrior who can’t accept opposing views.

Stallion

First Grade
Whatever helps you sleep at night, Pony.

Look back at my original post on page 6. Respectful whist still offering an opposing view. I like how you try to twist people’s opinions as being anti-rugby league and anti-respect just because they differ from your party line of bringing in more NSW clubs. The only thing you’re proving is that you’re stubborn and can’t accept other people’s opinions without taking offence to it.

You speak of respect but don’t offer it yourself unless the person supports your point of view. It’s not just towards me either. You’re an actively belligerent keyboard warrior who can’t accept opposing views.

It's not a party line. It's a pro rugbyleague line!