What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray Price

On the DSL on MMM this mornig a long time sponsor of the club since 1974 is considering pulling sponsorship due to Priceys name being pulled.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Quest For Glory said:
On the DSL on MMM this mornig a long time sponsor of the club since 1974 is considering pulling sponsorship due to Priceys name being pulled.

care to name the sponsor??

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
Fitzy gets blamed because it's a great angle to work off...

Rubbish.

If he didnt want to get blamed for this he shouldnt have stuck his head up. All that would have sufficed was "We are very disappointed. I wasnt at the meeting in question and will be expressing my disapointment at the next meeting"

Instead, he was dumb enough to give the tele a quite defending the decision - so of course they'll beat it up. He has been around long enough to know better.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
care to name the sponsor??

I didnt hear it.

But seriously, we were talking about how we under value our club to sponsors.

How much value have our sponsors gotten this week?

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
Rubbish.

If he didnt want to get blamed for this he shouldnt have stuck his head up. All that would have sufficed was "We are very disappointed. I wasnt at the meeting in question and will be expressing my disapointment at the next meeting"

Instead, he was dumb enough to give the tele a quite defending the decision - so of course they'll beat it up. He has been around long enough to know better.

you're kidding aren't you??? stuck his head up?? you know it's very difficult to do that when just about every media outlet in the land rings you up for a quote. and it's hard to speak against a board publically that you're actually a part off.

he was on a hiding for nothing..and if he made the "Disappointed" comment than what angle would the media take than?? Jesus fish, any comment made by him would be looked at as a negative gripe against a particular regime or game in general whether it's against ex legends or a board that he's part off.

he's been on a hiding for nothing with the media for years because it sells, which is a big part of why we should hire a fairdinkum CEO like noyce and Richardson that have a great deal of media tact behind them..this episode this week has more then convinced me that Fitzy's gone soft and should just concentrate on the leagues club rather than matters relating to football. but to blame him would to me mean that media have achieved what they wanted all along, controversy with the club and having fans and a legend up in arms because of it.

it sells rather well during the off season. ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
I didnt hear it.

But seriously, we were talking about how we under value our club to sponsors.

How much value have our sponsors gotten this week?

I would imagine alot of negative value thanks to the media and those who got too caught up in the story, but that's part of the dirty business isn't it??

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
you're kidding aren't you??? stuck his head up?? you know it's very difficult to do that when just about every media outlet in the land rings you up for a quote. and it's hard to speak against a board publically that you're actually a part off.

he was on a hiding for nothing..and if he made the "Disappointed" comment than what angle would the media take than?? Jesus fish, any comment made by him would be looked at as a negative gripe against a particular regime or game in general whether it's against ex legends or a board that he's part off.

he's been on a hiding for nothing with the media for years because it sells, which is a big part of why we should hire a fairdinkum CEO like noyce and Richardson that have a great deal of media tact behind them..this episode this week has more then convinced me that Fitzy's gone soft and should just concentrate on the leagues club rather than matters relating to football. but to blame him would to me mean that media have achieved what they wanted all along, controversy with the club and having fans and a legend up in arms because of it.

it sells rather well during the off season. ;-)

No Eela I'm not kidding.

He was dumb enough to give the telegraph quotes defending the decision, nobody else.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
No Eela I'm not kidding.

He was dumb enough to give the telegraph quotes defending the decision, nobody else.

according to him the quotes to Walshaw were wrong...as I've said all along he tried to distance himself from it...which in itself could be considered wrong also.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
according to him the quotes to Walshaw were wrong...as I've said all along he tried to distance himself from it...which in itself could be considered wrong also.

Those quotes are wrong now? I thought before he was saying that he said more than what was printed?

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
Those quotes are wrong now? I thought before he was saying that he said more thanwhat was printed?

is anyone saying what he said was right?

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
is anyone saying what he said was right?

without going back and checking, the quote from Ovo and also some of the stuff said by the trust guy reflected what fitzy was quoted as saying in the tele.

In any case, there is a simple solution, that being on Parramatta Eels game day, we have an agreement to call the ray price lounge the ray price lounge and singpost it as such. If, as major tennat, we cant negotiate a deal like that, we're kidding.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
without going back and checking, the quote from Ovo and also some of the stuff said by the trust guy reflected what fitzy was quoted as saying in the tele.

In any case, there is a simple solution, that being on Parramatta Eels game day, we have an agreement to call the ray price lounge the ray price lounge and singpost it as such. If, as major tennat, we cant negotiate a deal like that, we're kidding.

I could be wrong but I haven't seen a quoted from ovo as yet and tbh on this occasion I think Fitzy was on a no win situation despite the fact that there was a conflict of opinion to what was written as opposed to what his been saying on radio interviews.

tbh we should do more than name Price lounge it's rightful name on game days, we should name and promote every part of the stadium from the terraces to the corporate lounges after a club legend, bring it on...

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
I could be wrong but I haven't seen a quoted from ovo as yet and tbh on this occasion I think Fitzy was on a no win situation despite the fact that there was a conflict of opinion to what was written as opposed to what his been saying on radio interviews.

tbh we should do more than name Price lounge it's rightful name on game days, we should name and promote every part of the stadium from the terraces to the corporate lounges after a club legend, bring it on

I certainly wouldnt disagree with that, I just highlighted the price lounge because that's topical. But perhaps something more comprehensive, inconjunction with the price lounge would go someway to turning the story to a positive. If there's a will there's a way....

also eela, from the article at the start of the thread

ovo said:
Eels chairman Alan Overton agreed the renamed room would be "easier to hire out"

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't wanna nitpick Fish but that's not a quote from ovo that appears to be a statement from the author who may of asked him.. and even if he did say that it's easier to hire out by re-naming the lounge, so what??? he could well be right and unfortunately because of the situation he's in he's still representing the stadium trust by making those comments, it's funny how prior to this week no one in the world had an issue with his or Fitzy's involvement in being on the ST board.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
I don't wanna nitpick Fish but that's not a quote from ovo that appears to be a statement from the author who may of asked him.. and even if he did say that it's easier to hire out by re-naming the lounge, so what??? he could well be right and unfortunately because of the situation he's in he's still representing the stadium trust by making those comments,

No, it's a quote, allbeit a partial quote, and he may be right abut it being easier to hire out. Personally, I dont buy it.

it's funny how prior to this week no one in the world had an issue with his or Fitzy's involvement in being on the ST board.

I dont think that's an issue. :?

It's this particular decision that is the issue.

Gronk

Staff member
eelavation said:
I don't wanna nitpick Fish but that's not a quote from ovo that appears to be a statement from the author who may of asked him.. and even if he did say that it's easier to hire out by re-naming the lounge, so what??? he could well be right and unfortunately because of the situation he's in he's still representing the stadium trust by making those comments, it's funny how prior to this week no one in the world had an issue with his or Fitzy's involvement in being on the ST board.

Agree. The trust is losing $$ every year and if the feedback from teh coal face is that clients are baulking at hiring a room called the Ray Price Lounge then Ovo has to listen.

And yes the name of the room DOES mean something, as it would if was called the Wiggles Room or the Paris Hilton Suite.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
No, it's a quote, allbeit a partial quote, and he may be right abut it being easier to hire out. Personally, I dont buy it.

I dont think that's an issue. :?

It's this particular decision that is the issue.

it's only as big an issue as the media make out, they are masters at tugging on the heartstrings of supporters and we seem to have lost focus on the fact that a particular suite was re-named after him which seems to be dismissed by all and sundry.