What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 18 v Storm

Iamback

Coach
Same as Cartwright. His attitude to defence always was questionable, but I blame Hook for playing him out of position. If he was left to develop as an edge from when he debuted things could look much different for him now. Good to see he is playing well for Parra now at least.

Peachey has had a similar fate.

TBH not sure he had a choice. Once TMM left there were very few options

Iamback

Coach
That's probably what's done it. We've seen a few players over the years suffer from being a utility. It begs the question what he'd look like if he just played one position, say centre, for 80 minutes a week every week for his career.

TBH I am not sure he has the concentration, He has always been good for an error or 2. Hence why bench is perfect as he doesn't get long enough to make errors.

WestyLife

First Grade
TBH I am not sure he has the concentration, He has always been good for an error or 2. Hence why bench is perfect as he doesn't get long enough to make errors.

Bit of a chicken and egg scenario. Does he belong on the bench due to that or is being used like that why he's so inconsistent?

Alintheeast

Juniors
Cherry picked fact of the day from 2006 to 2018 we played Storm 18 times lost 17 and 1 win. Haven’t played Storm in Melbourne since 2018 and we won that match. Last 9 matches we have won 5. Got 10 point start from Melb bookie but we all know Melburnians live in the past.

Battle of the 2 best Systems in the NRL. Everytime I downgrade Storm's chances they surprise me. We can't let them win this game they will be above us

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-28-15-41-13-836_com.google.android.apps.messaging-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-28-15-41-13-836_com.google.android.apps.messaging-edit.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 11

Fangs

Coach
Cherry picked fact of the day from 2006 to 2018 we played Storm 18 times lost 17 and 1 win. Haven’t played Storm in Melbourne since 2018 and we won that match. Last 9 matches we have won 5. Got 10 point start from Melb bookie but we all know Melburnians live in the past.

Definately not a great road trip for us. Especially when we used to play at the old Olympic Park stadium.

Alintheeast

Juniors
Definately not a great road trip for us. Especially when we used to play at the old Olympic Park stadium.
Gets even uglier we have played them 43 times and only won 3 in Melbourne. In I think they were the only team to beat us twice in 2003.

Fangs

Coach
Gets even uglier we have played them 43 times and only won 3 in Melbourne. In I think they were the only team to beat us twice in 2003.

Yeah back when they had Cameron Smith/Slater debut. Tough days. I used to hate seeing the running track on the outside of the turf. Really skinny in goal area at both ends as well. More like an English ground.

Early season flogging by Melbourne in 2003 probably put us on the road to victory though. Next round was our big win against the Roosters so they definately responded.

Munky

Coach
Yeah back when they had Cameron Smith/Slater debut. Tough days. I used to hate seeing the running track on the outside of the turf. Really skinny in goal area at both ends as well. More like an English ground.

Early season flogging by Melbourne in 2003 probably put us on the road to victory though. Next round was our big win against the Roosters so they definately responded.

Started watching the 2003 road to glory DVD with the nephew.

First contact in defence these days is so much more savage. Every tackle now is a battle between ball runner and defenders.

Defence back then was so much looser.

Fangs

Coach
Started watching the 2003 road to glory DVD with the nephew.

First contact in defence these days is so much more savage. Every tackle now is a battle between ball runner and defenders.

Defence back then was so much looser.

And maybe its better to watch.

Things start changing around 06/07. The Storm were a cheating bunch but they were a great defensive side.

Things start changing around 06/07. The Storm were a cheating bunch but they were a great defensive side.
Watching the Sunday Night with M Johns the other night and they had a segment about biggest turnarounds in history (ie getting flogged one week and then doing the flogging the next week).

The one thing I had forgotten about that early 00s period was the score lines; people would get 60/70 put on them and then flog a team the next week. People complain about blow-out now, but back then they were commonplace.

Munky

Coach

Even on the highlights it's frustrating seeing outside backs missing simple tackles.

soc123_au

Staff member
TBH not sure he had a choice. Once TMM left there were very few options
I cant recall who our halves options were back then. I do remember universal frustration that Bryce or Peachy were being played at 6 though.