What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 18 v Storm

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Didnt watch Melbourne this week but NAS has been spending time on an edge, need to look at how we will cover that especially if he lines up against cogger, Put Martin on him he loves a big fella like that, he can charge him and not have to worry about late footwork beating him.
NAS on edge against our system will be far less effective than against most other teams.

You need fit mobile edge forwards against us.

Alintheeast

Juniors
If you can handle JWH you can handle NAS, 2 good props and a fearless 2nd rower. Would prefer Martin target Munster watched Origin 1 Munster’s ribs seemed to be looking out for Marto.

betcats

Referee
I'd be sending Soni back to cup for a bit more game time and keeping Smith in the rotation. If Kenny gets a bit loose Salmon to 6 & Luai to 9 for 10 or 15 minutes.

Dont like the idea of moving Luai during the game, If Soni wasnt to play I think Salmon would be a decent option for Soni's minutes at hooker. He wouldnt be a huge threat running he doesnt have the speed but he would certainly be less shy about running than Kenny is and his passing and defence are good enough imo. We can get by with a ten to fifteen minute stint from the back up hooker I wouldnt mind seeing what Salmon can do there. Since Soni isnt providing the impact we hoped for we just need someone to hold down the fort and take the obvious chances to run and provide decent service the rest of the time.

soc123_au

Staff member
Dont like the idea of moving Luai during the game, If Soni wasnt to play I think Salmon would be a decent option for Soni's minutes at hooker. He wouldnt be a huge threat running he doesnt have the speed but he would certainly be less shy about running than Kenny is and his passing and defence are good enough imo. We can get by with a ten to fifteen minute stint from the back up hooker I wouldnt mind seeing what Salmon can do there. Since Soni isnt providing the impact we hoped for we just need someone to hold down the fort and take the obvious chances to run and provide decent service the rest of the time.
I'd be happy enough with that, as you say it wouldn't be a bad thing to see how he goes there. More options is better.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I agree, Salmon would get the job done.

maple_69

Bench
Martin running at NAS I'd say is even money. NAS running at Martin and NAS's ribs are the only thing losing.

Agree Luke needs a stint in Cup. Kenny has improved to the point of being vaguely ok but both service & defence gets worse when Luke comes on and we're not seeing much the other way in terms of creativity/zip out of the ruck that you'd want to justify it.

I wonder if we'd look at Cogger as 14 when Cleary is back as we did against the Dragons before the option was removed. Seems ok in defence (20 min stint) and might offer better vision, kicking etc during the soft minutes.

betcats

Referee
Martin running at NAS I'd say is even money. NAS running at Martin and NAS's ribs are the only thing losing.

Agree Luke needs a stint in Cup. Kenny has improved to the point of being vaguely ok but both service & defence gets worse when Luke comes on and we're not seeing much the other way in terms of creativity/zip out of the ruck that you'd want to justify it.

I wonder if we'd look at Cogger as 14 when Cleary is back as we did against the Dragons before the option was removed. Seems ok in defence (20 min stint) and might offer better vision, kicking etc during the soft minutes.

Cogger so far appears to good to be in cup. That being said when ive watched him in cup he hasnt exactly been a stand out. Wouldnt be against him being used as a back up hooker, he'd be perfect for it if his defence was a bit more solid. Genuine kicking option, good enough passing game and he likes the dummy and go when he sees a tired forward.

Iamback

Coach
Cogger so far appears to good to be in cup. That being said when ive watched him in cup he hasnt exactly been a stand out. Wouldnt be against him being used as a back up hooker, he'd be perfect for it if his defence was a bit more solid. Genuine kicking option, good enough passing game and he likes the dummy and go when he sees a tired forward.

He has been shown up a few times in defence but generally seems ok, If he is staying next year. Having him play some 14 makes sense. Even give Critter an early mark one game try him at centre for a bit

Bob

Juniors
He has been shown up a few times in defence but generally seems ok, If he is staying next year. Having him play some 14 makes sense. Even give Critter an early mark one game try him at centre for a bit
Try him at centre, did you go to the Brad Fittler school of coaching

Kilkenny

Coach
Wife and I are in Melbourne for this game.

She can’t currently go to our home ground due to mobility issues, but we can see us away in a mobility friendly stadium. Go figure.

I’ve been to Marvel Stadium for AFL and A League but first time to see us there against the Storm.

I suspect a really tough game in front of us. They haven’t been perfect, but are close to full strength and will be up for it.

Looking forward it.

She can’t currently go to our home ground due to mobility issues, but we can see us away in a mobility friendly stadium. Go figure.

I’ve been to Marvel Stadium for AFL and A League but first time to see us there against the Storm.

I suspect a really tough game in front of us. They haven’t been perfect, but are close to full strength and will be up for it.

Looking forward it.
Enjoy Kilkenny. Melbourne is a cool city; hope you can make your way around it easy enough.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Looking forward it.

I understand what you're saying about mobility issues, and our current home ground. I'm in a similar position.

So good that you and yours can get down to Melbourne. Yell loud, drown out those ringing cowbells please. Enjoy yourselves.

Black Panther

Juniors
Try him at centre, did you go to the Brad Fittler school of coaching
That’s what I thought. People here are saying no to Cogger at Hooker, then play him at Centre appears. Pretty funny.
Trying Cogger as a backup 9 has merit, most halves are comfortable playing 9 these days with most of the same skill sets.

Latest posts