What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment?

playdaball

Bench
I initially thought Dugan could be worth a shot but he is toxic.

Interesting that the Warriors are considering looking at Robert Lui who has a worse record than Julian Savea.

playdaball

Bench
Any chance of picking up mid season signings? The Bulldogs picked up Inu and Perret last year and both went onto play in the GF. Perhaps the club should be looking at the NSW Cup for 'out of sorts' 1st graders now playing in this grade?

Aragorn

First Grade
Why not use Steve Price and his family to attract players here i.e. " we came here 5 years ago and now love the place. Auckland is a great city to live in, my wife and kids love it here etc etc".

Cleary liked it here too.

mate, you`re not going to attract cream of the crop players by having the likes of Steve Price trying to promote Auckland. The only peopl he`ll attract are players looking for an easy pay check and retirement.

And its not like the players have never been to NZ before. They`re lack of interest in Auckland stems from their own personal experiences have travelled and played here. I remember Pricey mentioned in an interview once that his perception of NZ was bad rainy gloomy weather playing in an industrial site in the middle of know where with polynesian drums banging in your ear....

My two cents, but the NZ warriors should hook up with Tourism NZ and offer discounts tours or something to visiting teams so they can spend a bit of time in NZ and see the real NZ. Thats the only way players perception of NZ will change. It needs to be first hand.

And maybe relocating out of Penrose wouldnt be such a bad idea - move over to the shore to north harbour stadium - its beautiful out there and would go a long way in changing peoples perception of Auckland..

playdaball

Bench
mate, you`re not going to attract cream of the crop players by having the likes of Steve Price trying to promote Auckland. The only peopl he`ll attract are players looking for an easy pay check and retirement.

And its not like the players have never been to NZ before. They`re lack of interest in Auckland stems from their own personal experiences have travelled and played here. I remember Pricey mentioned in an interview once that his perception of NZ was bad rainy gloomy weather playing in an industrial site in the middle of know where with polynesian drums banging in your ear....

My two cents, but the NZ warriors should hook up with Tourism NZ and offer discounts tours or something to visiting teams so they can spend a bit of time in NZ and see the real NZ. Thats the only way players perception of NZ will change. It needs to be first hand.

And maybe relocating out of Penrose wouldnt be such a bad idea - move over to the shore to north harbour stadium - its beautiful out there and would go a long way in changing peoples perception of Auckland..

Mick Watson put together a video to attract rubes. This included a plea from Stacey and other warriors as well as a message from tem Morrison AkA jake heke. The club also worked hard on steve prices wife - showing her Auckland as well as houses and schools. $$$ won't be the only thing to attract players (as per Todd carney) so the club needs to find out what makes payers click I.e family, lifestyle etc. another anorexic selling point is our tax rates which are low in comparison to Aussie.

btw... Albany is not a great area certainly not too much better than mt smart.

Iafeta

Referee
I've heard it countless times about players moving, "I spoke to X and they convinced me about the club and the city". Of course the Steve Price approach would be effective.

I do like the Tourism NZ idea though. They definitely need to get some aggressive marketing on the prospects of living in New Zealand. The way some players are making out, it's like having to move to Burkina Faso. Its only a 3 hour flight away from the eastern seaboard.

playdaball

Bench
I've heard it countless times about players moving, "I spoke to X and they convinced me about the club and the city". Of course the Steve Price approach would be effective.

I do like the Tourism NZ idea though. They definitely need to get some aggressive marketing on the prospects of living in New Zealand. The way some players are making out, it's like having to move to Burkina Faso. Its only a 3 hour flight away from the eastern seaboard.

Auckland is certainly more attractive than suburbs in the west of Sydney and Canberra.

Iafeta

Referee
Canberra, Newcastle, Penrith, Townsville... epic holes. You couldn't pay me enough to go to any of them.

playdaball

Bench
Canberra, Newcastle, Penrith, Townsville... epic holes. You couldn't pay me enough to go to any of them.

Funnily enough I've never been to any of those places. Our head office is based in west sydney not too far from Penrith and I've never been there but been passed it on way to the blue mountains.

Diesel

Referee

That's a very good point. Townsville is humid as hell for 6 months of the year that is unbareable, Penrith is colder than Auckland during winter. Canberra is dull. Newcastle isn't that bad.

Auckland is also no further away than 3 hours for 11 of the other teams.

Any Sydney based club have an advantage over non-Sydney as 1/2 the teams can recruit without having to get their players to relocate.

Penrose11

Juniors
Do we target quality 1st graders who cant quite get regular game time?

Case and point being someone like Tom Symonds. Future star of the game several years bsck. Junior Roo' s etc and just bidding his time until he had a regular starting spot. But aftr a injury prone last season or so he was on the outer at Easts and was picked up by Manly just 6 weeks before start of this season. He's a great ball playing back rower who has got his chance and not looked back. Manly probably picked him up for next to nothing. Easts would've been happy to release cap money and Symonds happy to a fresh start. I hope we have scouts looking hard at these types of players? We'd be crazy not to be.

I'm sure alot of these young players would jump at the chance to play here? Not just any young player but quality junior rep players who are on the outer at their current team.

Aragorn

First Grade
I'm sure alot of these young players would jump at the chance to play here? Not just any young player but quality junior rep players who are on the outer at their current team.

Judging by our U21/Holden cup history, we`re practically top of the league when in comes to junior players - the last thing we need are more junior players at the club. The club is flooded with "potential".

We need men, not more boys and we need men with strong leadership & experience that can bring a solid culture to the club.

Someone try and recruit Michael Crocker.

Penrose11

Juniors
No argument from me there. Symonds is 24 and has learnt his trade in the aussie league system. I guess I was thinking along lines of this type of player, similar to a Maloney. A little bit older and not just natural ability but proven skill to go with it. It's like we seem to keep a few of our guys out of U20's and*they're expected to be able to cut it from there. Didnt Taylor only start playing league in his last year or 2 at high school and then straight into warriors juniors? There's nothing wrong with picking the bones out of other clubs quality stock.

spear tackle

Juniors
Whats wrong with getting a bunch of journey men on 1-2 year deals it seemed to work ok for us in 2002 ,more recently Berrigan gave pretty good service I thought a bit of a mistake to let him go last year I thought.
Short term fix I know but might encourage others to join.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
Not everyone wants to live in the Sydney shithouse mate

Thats true too. Nothing better for me than to get into the Central Coast on a weekend just to get free from Sydney. Drop a line in at Toukley or the Entrance or somewhere like that.

Iafeta

Referee
Do we target quality 1st graders who cant quite get regular game time?

Case and point being someone like Tom Symonds. Future star of the game several years bsck. Junior Roo' s etc and just bidding his time until he had a regular starting spot. But aftr a injury prone last season or so he was on the outer at Easts and was picked up by Manly just 6 weeks before start of this season. He's a great ball playing back rower who has got his chance and not looked back. Manly probably picked him up for next to nothing. Easts would've been happy to release cap money and Symonds happy to a fresh start. I hope we have scouts looking hard at these types of players? We'd be crazy not to be.

TBF, the Warriors have usually gone after these types of players. Maloney was a proven performer in NSW Cup. Seymour was a child prodigy. Even going back to the likes of Danny Sullivan, he was the breakout star coming through the Parra backrow at the time before his crippling injuries. Michael Witt's another one, first year sensation who came over to the Warriors. Joel Moon's another, the wraps on him were enormous. Even Rovelli was a proven performer in a highly successful Roosters reserve grade team.

The players out of that lot who end up coming here are the players who want regular first grade football to prove themselves to be as good as they think they are. Some work out big time like Maloney. Some do a manful job like Seymour, Witt, Moon. They're usually fairly low maintenance pick ups.

Latest posts