What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Did you read it...

I.e. the Dolphins will play more games at small venues in smaller markets, therefore they won't have as much of an impact on the Brisbane 'catchment'.

It also says nothing about only one game 'max' at Dolphin Stadium and Sunshine Coast, that's just a figment of your imagination that the Dolphins own bid material refutes.

The report is also internally contradictory when it says this-

So somehow the bid teams will have an 'inevitable impact' on the Broncos market if they play at Suncorp, but at the same time it's likely that existing fans who support the Broncos will continue to support them and more games at Suncorp will 'broaden and increase the NRL’s penetration into the south east Queensland market'...

Taken in the most charitable way, that suggests that cannibalisation of the Broncos market will be negligible at best no matter which team gets the license.

BTW, how much do you want to bet that the report measures the Dolphins 'existing supporters' by their leagues club member numbers? I f**king hate when teams do that.
Yes I did read it:

“As both the Dolphins and the Jets propose to play the majority of home games at Suncorp Stadium, each team will have an inevitable impact within this catchment,” the report states.

“However, by additionally playing home games at Moreton Daily Stadium and Sunshine Coast Stadium, the Dolphins provide larger incremental growth to the NRL within those new markets.''

Majority of games at Suncorp and the ''inevitable impact'' is obviously drawing non-broncos fans to games. But you are smart enough to know that. Brisbane 2 will be targeting non-Broncos NRL fans and that will be with many of their supporters holding them as their second team but as the generations roll on, they will have their own fan based carved out.

I would prefer they played 12 games at Suncorp personally, but obviously part of their strategy is to appeal to the Redcliffe and Sunshine Coast markets by taking a game each to those areas currently not serviced by professional sport (outside of the Sunshine Coast Lightning)... hence the incremental growth in those new markets.

Majority of games at Suncorp means just that. Games at Suncorp most weekends means just that. Using Suncorp as their main base means just that. They aren't going to commit commercial suicide by not using the world's best RL stadium to maximise their revenue, corporates and memberships for the overwhelming majority of their matches. Exactly how many games do you think they are going to take to 10k stadiums? I'm genuinely curious...

I don't know why any of this is so hard for you to grasp.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
No existing Broncos fan is going to switch to the new team. If future generations who would have become Broncos fans dont and follow the new club is more likely but with over 2million people in Brisbane there should be enough RL fans to cope with that for two clubs.
And that would be on the Broncos head for not presenting a palatable product, not the on the head of the new club for outcompeting them.

Besides, I'd argue that the Broncos are an extremely complacent organisation, and that such competition will only be a good thing for them in the long run.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yes I did read it:

“As both the Dolphins and the Jets propose to play the majority of home games at Suncorp Stadium, each team will have an inevitable impact within this catchment,” the report states.

“However, by additionally playing home games at Moreton Daily Stadium and Sunshine Coast Stadium, the Dolphins provide larger incremental growth to the NRL within those new markets.

Majority of games at Suncorp and the ''inevitable impact'' is obviously drawing non-broncos fans to games. But you are smart enough to know that. Brisbane 2 will be targeting non-Broncos NRL fans and that will be with many of their supporters holding them as their second team but as the generations roll on, they will have their own fan based carved out.

I would prefer they played 12 games at Suncorp personally, but obviously part of their strategy is to appeal to the Redcliffe and Sunshine Coast markets by taking a game each to those areas currently not serviced by professional sport (outside of the Sunshine Coast Lightning)... hence the incremental growth in those new markets.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to grasp.
Why bring up the 'inevitable impact' at all if it's not impacting on anything!?

Answer, you wouldn't... Unless, like you, you are trying to make it say something that it's not.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Why bring up the 'inevitable impact' at all if it's not impacting on anything!?

Answer, you wouldn't... Unless, like you, you are trying to make it say something that it's not.
Getting RL fans that are not currently attending games frequently (because they aren't Broncos fans), attending games frequently is having an impact I would say. The reason why I'm concluding that is the impact being referred to is because the NRL have said numerous times that is what they want from Brisbane 2 and you would assume what a smart bid would present on / target.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And that would be on the Broncos head for not presenting a palatable product, not the on the head of the new club for outcompeting them.

Besides, I'd argue that the Broncos are an extremely complacent organisation, and that such competition will only be a good thing for them in the long run.
Totally agree. There is no population reason there cant be two NRL clubs in Brisbane drawing 30k plus fans in the future.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Getting RL fans that are not currently attending games frequently (because they aren't Broncos fans), attending games frequently is having an impact I would say. The reason why I'm concluding that is the impact being referred to is because the NRL have said numerous times that is what they want from Brisbane 2 and you would assume what a smart bid would present on / target.
So you are just deciding that the report isn't about what the article says it's about-
The report, obtained by News Corp, takes a deep dive into the reach of the three bidding parties and their potential impact on the other sides in southeast Queensland. It suggests the Dolphins would attract more fans than the other two bids, without canabilising existing southeast Queensland teams.
Got it.

I hope they make it so ticketed members are given free entry to Dolphin Oval to watch the Redcliffe Dolphins play in the Queensland Cup. I'd go one step further and change Redcliffe's name to Moreton Bay Dolphins and have them play at Dolphin Oval when their NRL team isn't playing at Lang Park.

MugaB

Coach
I hope they make it so ticketed members are given free entry to Dolphin Oval to watch the Redcliffe Dolphins play in the Queensland Cup. I'd go one step further and change Redcliffe's name to Moreton Bay Dolphins and have them play at Dolphin Oval when their NRL team isn't playing at Lang Park.
Or better yet, change the name to "Brisbane Dolphins" or whatever they decide is the NRL name for the Qcup also, that way fans of both 1st grade and reserve grade will identify as them as the same entity, which means it might boost reserve grade crowds

mongoose

Coach
I'm confused, are you saying the Dolphins will have a team in NRL and QLD Cup?

I just assumed the Dolphins/Firehawks/Jets would be promoted and cease to compete in the state League and therefor have to link up with a new feeder club.....

Hartwood

Juniors
I'm confused, are you saying the Dolphins will have a team in NRL and QLD Cup?

I just assumed the Dolphins/Firehawks/Jets would be promoted and cease to compete in the state League and therefor have to link up with a new feeder club.....
Dolphins will still have a qcup side if admitted into the nrl. Not sure about the Firehawks and jets but I imagine it's the same deal

mongoose

Coach
Dolphins will still have a qcup side if admitted into the nrl. Not sure about the Firehawks and jets but I imagine it's the same deal
They should bring back Valley Diehards or Toowoomba to fill in the vacant spot. Dolphins can have Sunshine Coast and Norths. Give the Broncs the Diehards.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Where is it said that stadium was strictly for 2nd division team?! Dolphins always have had ambitions for NRL & stadiums can be built with idea of expansion in mind. Melbourne rectangular stadium is an example of that
AAMI cannot be expanded due to the fancy roof.

Id hazard a guess that Redcliffe wont have a Qcup side and will choose to partner with either Norths or Sunshine Coast (if either will break their feeder arrangements with Brisbane or Melbourne respectively) and run their reggies that way

Theres a big push to get the Toowoomba Clydsesdales back into Qcup too so it wont mess with the numbers

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So you are just deciding that the report isn't about what the article says it's about-

Got it.
I'm agreeing with it. The Redcliffe bid will target fans without canalising the Broncos or Titans fan bases (as much as that is actually possible to achieve). That is why I say the ''inevitable impact'' is a positive one of attracting RL fans that don't attend games regularly to their games. Whilst simultaneously using a couple of their home games to build a membership base on the Sunshine Coast and in the Redcliffe region.

Id hazard a guess that Redcliffe wont have a Qcup side and will choose to partner with either Norths or Sunshine Coast (if either will break their feeder arrangements with Brisbane or Melbourne respectively) and run their reggies that way

Theres a big push to get the Toowoomba Clydsesdales back into Qcup too so it wont mess with the numbers
What about their stadium?

It's perfectly sized for a Queensland Cup club.

I'm agreeing with it. The Redcliffe bid will target fans without canalising the Broncos or Titans fan bases (as much as that is actually possible to achieve). That is why I say the ''inevitable impact'' is a positive one of attracting RL fans that don't attend games regularly to their games. Whilst simultaneously using a couple of their home games to build a membership base on the Sunshine Coast and in the Redcliffe region.
I'll be happy to support them if they call themselves the Brisbane Dolphins and add the Brisbane River, skyline and Story Bridge to their logo, with a dolphin jumping out of the water. It'll symbolise Brisbane as "The River City", which will give the club relevancy to people from the entire Greater Brisbane area and tourists visiting Brisbane.