What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reyno out for 4 months

souths_pride

Juniors
Another option is to play Luke at half and fill the hooker spot somehow. Probably the best solution is Inglis at 6 and Johnston to 1. I don't like the way Souths play with Sutton at 6. I think that's probably the way Madge will go though. Whatever happens Souths are really going to miss Reynolds' kicking game.

I wouldn't move Isaac Luke at all. He is pretty much our most important player. He is our organiser and his powerful runs from dummy half are what sets the platform for our big forwards to get momentum in attack. However, I agree that selecting Sutton at 6 would a mistake; I would only do that as a last resort. Sutton is good at playing direct but I think his kicking is too defensive and doesn't ask enough question and doesn't incorporate the players who play outside him enough. Also, he is just getting settled into the back row; it would disturb his game greatly moving him back to no. 6

alien

Referee
I wouldn't move Isaac Luke at all. He is pretty much our most important player. He is our organiser and his powerful runs from dummy half are what sets the platform for our big forwards to get momentum in attack.

i agree. his runs from dummy half are awesome and makes alot of metres. i would say he is the best dummy half runner in the comp, and he also scores tries from dummy half too

doyen

Bench
gi sometimes plays like a number 6 in attack anyway. he has a nice cut out pass to wingers/centres, is fast and big so he can run it himself, especially if he gets one on one out wide using his massive fend, he can put up nice bombs and chip kicks, and i think his defense in the line would be better than it is at fullback too. i think he would be a lethal number 6, and we do have aj who is good at fullback. manuleleua can come in on aj's wing. they will win enough games to make the finals and maybe top 4. i just hope reynolds is able to come back a bit before the finals, as well as auva'a and turner, because i think we will need them for the finals

McInnes is ready for the top grade.If we ignore him we will lose him, ala Peats.Saints are on to him & will pay him top $$$ as they can see his great potential.

We lost Peats who is basically a Sths diehard;& young----
now it looks like we are going to neglect a 21 yr old budding champion in McInnes who potentially could be one of Sths best ever juniors & a long term player.

We did the same with Mansour--I don't get it.

We need to start looking long-term,especially with upcoming stars like McInnes.

Issac is 28 yrs soon;it's important to encourage McInnes NOW----otherwise we lose him to a team like Saints who will pay him very well & play him in the top grade!

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
I don't think Michael Maguire is ready to trust McInnes yet. I mean he barely plays him off the bench at hooker, let alone selects him to start the game in a key position where he has no first grade experience. The way Madge likes to operate is to get a heap of wins under our belt and then ease in the younger players around rounds 13-15 when there is less pressure on them.

As for Inglis having not played five-eight in 6 years. That may be true but the modern day fullback plays much like a traditional five-eight anyway. What I think will happen is that Keary will play on both sides of the field and Greg Inglis will operate from second-receiver; much like he does when he is at fullback only that he will be in there more often (which I think is a good thing because I think people have a point when they question his involvement). So basically, what will be doing is playing old-school style and utilising more traditional 6 and 7 roles.

Maguire is going to do to McInnes as he did to Peats--if this happens to McInnes we lose him to a team like Saints.McInnes deserves more than 5 mins here & there!

We can't afford to only just play in the moment---we need to think long-term as well!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Another option is to play Luke at half and fill the hooker spot somehow. Probably the best solution is Inglis at 6 and Johnston to 1. I don't like the way Souths play with Sutton at 6. I think that's probably the way Madge will go though. Whatever happens Souths are really going to miss Reynolds' kicking game.

Yep you just can't replace Reynolds kicking game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It would be a very retrograde step to bring JS back to 5/8.

I can't see Madge coming at that.JS has settled into the 2nd row now & is handling it very well indeed.

Sths need to do something positive for McInnes at this point.
He would make a good little half--he's played there before--& he's a strong defender.

The vultures are already swooping around him;one of our best junior forwards in a while.He needs encouragement.

He is nippy & has a great footy brain.

My preference would be for Keary to remain at No.6 & McInnes half.

The type of footy that Sths play with JS at 5/8 turns me off to the point that I can take or leave even watching it.

Sorry Doyen but I can't see McInnes going to halfback. I think we will lose him after this season.

Sutto at 6 is a safe option even if it is boring to watch at times. Sometimes when there are injuries in the halves the replacement won't be flash too watch.

If Sutto goes to 6 I will be behind him and give him my full support rather than bag him out in the halves.

In season games rounds 1-26 we have got good results with Sutto in the halves too, even though it wasn't that flash too watch at times and was a bit predictable.

I'd prefer GI at 5/8 but with his ongoing knee issue I'm not sure whether he can handle all the extra defence. Madge may be concerned about that too.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't think McInnes did much against Parra but I agree Doyen, give him a shot at seven, he's quick enough with a fast set of hands.

I, like a lot of other supporters, don't want to see Sutton back at 5/8th, he's much better suited at second row so lets not panic, give McInnes a go.

Or an even better option, Inglis at 5/8th. Johnston at no. ! as some one else suggested (good suggestion).

Depends on whether GI can handle extra defence with his knee issue. The concern is its a long season ahead and we don't want GI to burn out and do serious damage to his knee.

Rabbits20

Immortal
McInnes at 9, Luke at 7. Could work. McInnes payed most of his jr footy at hooker didn't he? And Luke has always looked comfortable at first receiver. He has all the skills of a half anyway.

Luke at 7 won't work. Luke needs to stay at hooker.

Remember the prelim when Luke went to halfback and how disastrous it was?

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'd rather see Stewart at 5/8 than Sutto.

Stewart is 31 though. Stewart at 5/8 would most likely be as slow as Sutto although Stewart has great ball playing compared to Sutto and experiments more.

Stewart at 5/8 could work with Sutto helping out our kicking game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Stewart seems to have the skills for it, but has he ever played there? I can't see it happening.

When Issac went off and Keary went too hooker I'm pretty sure Gifty was playing 5/8 until he went off with concussion.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I am warming to the idea of Inglis to 5/8th and Johnston to fullback but, who would the wingers be - I think both Millard and Reddy have provided proof of their abilities or lack there of but who else is there, who can replace them.

Johnston is really starting to carve oppositions up, both from the wing and against the Bulldogs on Friday from fullback.

1. Johnston
2. Manuleleau
3. Millard
4. Goodwin
5. Reddy

If Dylan is back I think:

1. Johnston
2. Millard/Manuleleau
3. Walker
4. Goodwin
5. Reddy

Madge I think will continue to persist with Reddy and Millard as they have 1st grade experience.

Millard is weak hitting up the ball and has no leg drive and gets driven back most of the time.

At least Reddy has some leg drive and makes more metres than Millard.

Reddy has a poor tackling technique, but unfortunately after watching the game back Millard has a worse technique than Reddy.

Millard when the time comes this season should be dropped before Reddy.

southsport

First Grade
Stewart is 31 though. Stewart at 5/8 would most likely be as slow as Sutto although Stewart has great ball playing compared to Sutto and experiments more.

Stewart at 5/8 could work with Sutto helping out our kicking game.

Sutto is an ordinary 5/8, let's not go there again.

Last edited:

souths_pride

Juniors
McInnes is ready for the top grade.If we ignore him we will lose him, ala Peats.Saints are on to him & will pay him top $$$ as they can see his great potential.

We lost Peats who is basically a Sths diehard;& young----
now it looks like we are going to neglect a 21 yr old budding champion in McInnes who potentially could be one of Sths best ever juniors & a long term player.

We did the same with Mansour--I don't get it.

We need to start looking long-term,especially with upcoming stars like McInnes.

Issac is 28 yrs soon;it's important to encourage McInnes NOW----otherwise we lose him to a team like Saints who will pay him very well & play him in the top grade!

I see where your coming from but you can't just pick players because due fear of them holding the club to ransom. From all reports, Mansour had a bit of an attitude problem when he was here and took his release from the club as a kick up the backside and improved his act. I have heard rumors from certain people in the know that Peats was a bit up himself as well and cleaned up his act when he moved to Parra. In saying that, I do think it was a mistake moving Peats.

McInnes' time will eventually come. Its just a big ask to play a 21 year old in a position where he hasn't been playing lately in first grade, with only a few first grade games under his belt. In saying that, I like the idea of playing a reserve hooker off the bench. So I think if he is going to get picked, then I think it will be at hooker for the moment.

souths_pride

Juniors
1. Johnston
2. Manuleleau
3. Millard
4. Goodwin
5. Reddy

If Dylan is back I think:

1. Johnston
2. Millard/Manuleleau
3. Walker
4. Goodwin
5. Reddy

Madge I think will continue to persist with Reddy and Millard as they have 1st grade experience.

Millard is weak hitting up the ball and has no leg drive and gets driven back most of the time.

At least Reddy has some leg drive and makes more metres than Millard.

Reddy has a poor tackling technique, but unfortunately after watching the game back Millard has a worse technique than Reddy.

Millard when the time comes this season should be dropped before Reddy.
I think how long he persists with those players will depend on how many games we win from now until around round 15. Like I've said before, Madge doesn't like blooding young guns early on in the season because there is more pressure on them to perform than in the middle of the season if we have been winning games.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't get where the whole 'don't put Sutton at 5-8' argument is coming from. This is a guy who's steered us to 3 consecutive top 4 finishes from 5-8. He almost got picked for the blues from 5-8 in 2013. Last year when we tried walker at 5-8 to cover for keary and it led to a stuttering start to the season, it wasn't until Sutton was moved back to 5-8 that we got our season back on track. Wasn't until we in the finals that we moved him permanently into the back row.
Glenn Stewart could probably play there, he definitely has the ball skills but he also gets through a lot of work and rolls his sleeves up and does the shit work others won't when his needed, his become our new pack leader and moving him from their might have a huge effect on the team
Inglis can play 5-8 and will probably fill in there short term, but really his best position is fullback, as good as AJ is inglis is possibly the best fullback of all time, his got that safety in defence, he always gets our sets of to a rolling start with his kick returns, and he already chimes in as an extra playmaker on set pieces.

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
I don't get where the whole 'don't put Sutton at 5-8' argument is coming from. This is a guy who's steered us to 3 consecutive top 4 finishes from 5-8. He almost got picked for the blues from 5-8 in 2013. Last year when we tried walker at 5-8 to cover for keary and it led to a stuttering start to the season, it wasn't until Sutton was moved back to 5-8 that we got our season back on track. Wasn't until we in the finals that we moved him permanently into the back row.
Glenn Stewart could probably play there, he definitely has the ball skills but he also gets through a lot of work and rolls his sleeves up and does the shit work others won't when his needed, his become our new pack leader and moving him from their might have a huge effect on the team
Inglis can play 5-8 and will probably fill in there short term, but really his best position is fullback, as good as AJ is inglis is possibly the best fullback of all time, his got that safety in defence, he always gets our sets of to a rolling start with his kick returns, and he already chimes in as an extra playmaker on set pieces.

That's not how I saw the 2014 season, to me Souths were not looking anything like possible premiers until Sutto was moved out of 5/8 towards the end of the season when Keary returned from injury..........I think Sutto is a very good back-rower.

doyen

Bench

Sutton was not the reason Sths kept doing well & reaching the top 4.

It was on the back of a big,disciplined pack[Sutton virtually one of them]& dour allround team play which to viewing fans was almost worse than watching paint dry!!

Head down arse-up approach which was never going to win us a comp.

I don't believe we need a return to that mentality.

As I've said previously;the greatest stroke of luck that Sths had in 2014 was the late injury to JS not far out from the finals.It was like a debilitating cancer had been removed; with instant rejuvenation.
A breath of attacking fresh air was then finally introduced, with permanence, in Keary, & the rest is history.

I for one don't want a hulking, snail-paced player returning to a key posse like 5/8.

I also wish to enjoy watching the game whatever the result might be!!!!

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
I see where your coming from but you can't just pick players because due fear of them holding the club to ransom. From all reports, Mansour had a bit of an attitude problem when he was here and took his release from the club as a kick up the backside and improved his act. I have heard rumors from certain people in the know that Peats was a bit up himself as well and cleaned up his act when he moved to Parra. In saying that, I do think it was a mistake moving Peats.

McInnes' time will eventually come. Its just a big ask to play a 21 year old in a position where he hasn't been playing lately in first grade, with only a few first grade games under his belt. In saying that, I like the idea of playing a reserve hooker off the bench. So I think if he is going to get picked, then I think it will be at hooker for the moment.

A few of these players were forced out due to being neglected.
Peats for one was at times sitting on the bench for 70 minutes.
A player of his quality was never going to hang around being humiliated & embarrassed week after week.His "bad-attitude"was forced upon him!
He was seen by a lot in our a club as a future long-term player & leader;Capt. of our under 20's.
The Eels couldn't grab him fast enough.
Now McInnes;Captain of our Under 20's for 2 yrs,a Jnr Kangaroo captain;a superstar in the making; has a very good chance of being lured away because he can't envisage a future here.
McInnes is a very,very good player---he is a fine hooker/dummy-half who should quite easily slot into half.
To me winning is not the be all & end all in sport--I like to watch a good,entertaining brand of footy & not witness disaffected young Jnrs wishing to leave due to neglect & lack of appreciation.

Latest posts