What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLW: Best player over the last 30 years?

RLW: Best player over the last 30 years?

• Wally Lewis

Votes: 45 21.8%
  • Andrew Johns

Votes: 99 48.1%
  • Brad Fittler

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Allan Langer

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 25 12.1%

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
To lose 3 GFs in 5 years is a very sorry statistic tbh

JAMES BOND

Juniors
Freddy's Girl said:
We should have won more grandfinals, but don't you think its still a great effort to get there to begin with? Fittler retires and the roosters miss the finals three yrs straight now.

Langer played in finals in every year he played at the Broncos pretty much. When ever the Broncos made a grand final they won it.
I rate Langer a better player than Fittler. Fittler was too inconsistent through out his career.

1. Johns
2, Lewis
3. Langer
4. Fittler
5. Lockyer

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Private joke I carried across from the Eels forum. No matter.

No doubt that Fittler was a great player but in terms of 5/8's - Lewis, Kenny and Daley leave him far behind.

Everyone will have a different opinion and I'm sure those guys would have been better in different aspects of the game than fittler but imo when you talk about the complete package in terms of leadership right down to everything RB mentioned, then you would have to say Fittler had it all which imo puts him ahead of those guys

ak47

Juniors
to have fittler ahead of laurie daley is an absolute disgrace
daley turned the SOO tide to the blues, mid 90's
when he retires - johns dominates the blues
freddy was piggybacked his whole career at that level - the best level of rugby league
freddy won 1 GF with chooks in his prime
for penrith was just a young tacker on the up, like daley in that era
You can defo see the Superleague effect in this poll

1. Johns
2. Wally
3. Daley
4.5.6.7.8 - throw a blanket over Mal, Ricky, Langer, Sterlo, Kenny

then add that Fittler bloke in....

The Colonel

Immortal
Freddy's Girl said:
Everyone will have a different opinion and I'm sure those guys would have been better in different aspects of the game than fittler but imo when you talk about the complete package in terms of leadership right down to everything RB mentioned, then you would have to say Fittler had it all which imo puts him ahead of those guys

:lol:

Sorry I can't take anyone seriously arguing for Fittler in terms of the complete package especially with Freddy's Girl as their online persona. There is no doubt he was a very good player and much of this is based on opinion but the third best player of the last 30 years?

Hardly. Mal Meninga was a more complete player at a higher level for a much longer period.

Fittler may have been a mainstay in terms of the Roosters and when it came to the later half of his career their were very few players who stood next to him in terms of the 5/8 role and that would be mostly because of the lack of quality 5/8's in the latter part of his career.

Kenny and Daley were far more dominant players against stronger opposition for much of their careers.

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
The Colonel said:
:lol:

Sorry I can't take anyone seriously arguing for Fittler in terms of the complete package especially with Freddy's Girl as their online persona. There is no doubt he was a very good player and much of this is based on opinion but the third best player of the last 30 years?

Hardly. Mal Meninga was a more complete player at a higher level for a much longer period.

Fittler may have been a mainstay in terms of the Roosters and when it came to the later half of his career their were very few players who stood next to him in terms of the 5/8 role and that would be mostly because of the lack of quality 5/8's in the latter part of his career.

Kenny and Daley were far more dominant players against stronger opposition for much of their careers.

His records speak for itself. Won a premiership and was already captain of Australia and NSW before he came to the roosters at the age of 23, which is impressive. If I'm not wrong daley was moved to the centres to accomdadate fittler in origin? and I think fittler was chosen to play 5/8 ahead of daley in 98, when all were available. Still think fittler had it all :p (lol yeah I am biased)

The Colonel

Immortal
Freddy's Girl said:
His records speak for itself. Won a premiership and was already captain of Australia and NSW before he came to the roosters at the age of 23, which is impressive. If I'm not wrong daley was moved to the centres to accomdadate fittler in origin? and I think fittler was chosen to play 5/8 ahead of daley in 98, when all were available. Still think fittler had it all :p (lol yeah I am biased)

No one doubts his record however that of many players in that top 30 are just as if not more impressive.

Fittler was often moved to lock and centre to accomodate Daley at 5/8. ;-)

JAMES BOND

Juniors
Daley made more of an impact than Fittler when it came to Origin. Fittler never dominated Origin. Players like Johns, Langer, Lewis and Daley did when they played. Origin is considered to be the toughest football in League. There is better players who should be in that top 5 who are better than Fittler and Lockyer.

Red Bear

Referee
Fittler should've got the churchill medal in 2002. 2003 they got outplayed, 2004 he played very well and they were unfortunate to lose that match. 2000 was a rubbish grand final but the roosters were lucky to make that final, brisbane were a much better side.

cookie40

Juniors
I have watched them all play in their prime and would have to say Lewis by a whisker over Johns but would be glad if either was voted number one. I think after them is daylight.

What really surprises me is that no one suggested Brad Mackay from St George.

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
The Colonel said:
No one doubts his record however that of many players in that top 30 are just as if not more impressive.

Fittler was often moved to lock and centre to accomodate Daley at 5/8. ;-)

Could be wrong but when Freddy was playing at lock for his club, thats where he played for his state and when he was the 5/8 for his club, he was also the 5/8 for nsw.

ak47

Juniors
Freddy's Girl said:
If I'm not wrong daley was moved to the centres to accomdadate fittler in origin? and I think fittler was chosen to play 5/8 ahead of daley in 98, when all were available. Still think fittler had it all :p (lol yeah I am biased)

GAMES 1 AND 2 - DALEY AT 5/8
GAME 3 DALEY AT CENTRE
GAME 1 - DALEY AT CENTRE
GAME2 - DALEY AT 5/8
GAME3 - DALEY AT 5/8

i believe out of all 6 games of experiment
Daley at CENTRE - 2
Daley at 5/8 - 4

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/soo/soo_idx.html

cookie40

Juniors
What I meant with Brad was it always surprised me how someone could be a reserve for club, state and also Aust. At the time you even heard people say he was one of the best - I could never see it

Raider_69

Post Whore
International RL said:
Couldn't agree more re: Fittler. We are talking about a bloke voted most over-rated by his peers. How can he be that highly rated?

Though I am still a bit iffy about Johns. Drugs scandal aside, he was forced out of half back in rep sides too often in my eyes to be the 'greatest'.

The real loser in all of this is Laurie Daley. I can't believe he doesn't even get a mention, yet Fittler is just worshiped. The ARL really did a good job of freezing Daley out post Super League. Daley dominated Origin in a way that Fittler never could. Injuries cut him short at the end.

Well said, Daley is the closest thing to Lewis NSW had at Origin level, not even Johns dominated Origin with the consistancy Laurie Daley did
Fittler was an awesome player and was the 2nd best 5/8th running around by a long way, but Laurie Daley was better, when big games come up, Daley stood up, Semis, grand finals, SOO, Australia, Daley dominated at every level and did it consistantly, Fittler did not.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
All players in the list, and some that missed out are very good players

What is the magazine like that came out today and what is in it ? Worth a read ? Hanging out for a league mag

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
Beavers Headgear said:
All players in the list, and some that missed out are very good players

What is the magazine like that came out today and what is in it ? Worth a read ? Hanging out for a league mag

RLW came out today and it's titled Top 30, has a list of the 100 players to pick from and tells you how they came up with top 30. Around $10 i think.

Latest posts