What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC TV Deal Signed

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Not bad, similar to the RLWC08 deal with 9 and Foxtel. Along with this and the Event360 appointment things are slowly coming into place.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/bbc_commits_to_rugby_league_coverage_until_2017/

BBC to broadcast rugby league until 2017

10 April 2013 | Posted in Broadcast, Rugby, Europe | By Ian McPherson
RLWC2013-300x200.jpg

The BBC and pay-TV channel Premier Sports have acquired the UK TV rights to the 2013 Rugby League World Cup to be hosted by England and Wales.

The deals, announced by the tournament’s organisers RLWC2013, will see the BBC provide live coverage of all England games on TV and radio, including their opening match against Australia and other two Group A games against Ireland and Fiji.

The BBC’s package also includes one quarter-final, the semi-final double-header at Wembley, the final at Old Trafford as well as regular highlights programmes featuring action from matches not shown live. Extensive coverage will be available on Radio 5 live, 5 live sports extra, the BBC Sport website and the BBC Sport app.

Meanwhile, Premier Sports, which recently bought the UK rights to show Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL), has acquired rights to show every game live.
The BBC also confirmed that it has acquired rights to the 2014 and 2016 Four Nations tournaments and the next edition of World Cup in 2017.

RLWC2013 tournament director Nigel Wood said “This is fantastic news for RLWC2013. The BBC is arguably the number one terrestrial sports broadcaster in the world. Their incredible coverage of the London Olympics further enhanced their reputation and so for them to cover the next international sporting event in the UK is a great fit for them and for us.

“We’re delighted fans will be able to watch the showpiece events live on terrestrial TV. The BBC will help RLWC2013 bring new audiences to our amazing sport and will enable our established fan base to immerse themselves in five weeks of fantastic, world class sport. Premier Sports do a great job for rugby league showing Kingstone Press Championship, every NRL game and the State of Origin matches. Their coverage will enable fans to see every minute of the tournament live.”

RLWC2013 tournament general manager Sally Bolton added: “We appreciate fans patience in waiting for kick off times to be announced. We will be meeting both BBC and Premier Sports to tie this down and are aiming to confirm times as soon as we are able.”

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: “BBC Sport is committed to bringing major national sporting events to the widest audience, so we’re very excited to be adding the rugby league world cup to our portfolio. This is a great opportunity to showcase rugby league across all BBC platforms, and it’s an added bonus that the 2013 tournament is on home soil.

“BBC Sport has extended its commitment to rugby league with broadcast rights confirmed for the Four Nations in 2014 and 2016, and the World Cup in 2017 to add to our current coverage of the Challenge Cup and Super League.”

This autumn’s tournament is set to kick off on Saturday 26th October at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

deluded pom?

Coach
At least we should now get some kick off times sorted out so that anyone who needs to book hotels and transport has something to work around.

deal.with.it

Juniors
So Premier Sports apparently only have 6,500 customers...

Also, I was surprised watching PS for the first time tonight the number of lower-end adverts. Love rugby league, 40twenty mag, try tag rugby, australia times newspaper etc.

Starting to change my mind on what i thought was a great deal...

paulmac

Juniors
Any news on the Australian rights? Would love channel 10 to show the whole thing live.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Ch 10 had the RU WC in france a few years back. Would love to see them get the RLWC.

Anyone have a clue if the RLWC2013 organisation will be securing tv rights for every country?
Or will the RLIF leave it up to ARL to get the tv rights for Australia?
Hopefully its the former.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I'm still hoping BBC will show more matches than just those involving England, even if it's just on the red button. The fact that they've announced Ray French will be on commentary is a positive sign, since surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to put him on an England match (although knowing BBC they probably will).

Evil Homer

Staff member
it would make sense,to me anyway,to strike a deal with eurosport and show it through mainland europe
I actually thought the same thing earlier, but is Eurosport a standardized channel or does it have different programming per country/region?

Either way, you'd think they will sort out coverage throughout Europe and the rest of the world. TV coverage for the last World Cup was pretty extensive so I'd expect them to at least match it this time. IMG are no slouches, I know the Middle East/North Africa will have the tournament on OSN and PNG have already confirmed their rights with NBC, so things are progressing. Hopefully Bein pick it up in France and there's some interest in Italy and USA at the very least.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Good news!

Bein Sport has purchased the rights to the RLWC2013 for broadcasting in France. All games will be shown live.

Foxtel in Australia in 2011 had just over 1.65 million subscribers. Bein Sport will have around 1.5 million when the World Cup kicks off next month.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Good news!

Bein Sport has purchased the rights to the RLWC2013 for broadcasting in France. All games will be shown live.

Foxtel in Australia in 2011 had just over 1.65 million subscribers. Bein Sport will have around 1.5 million when the World Cup kicks off next month.

Great news, hopefully a sign of things to come for a TV deal allowing Toulouse to enter Super League.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Great news miguel, was getting worried thinking a dirty deed was taking place.

Even better that all games will be shown and not just the two home French games.

I'm still sad that it's not gonna be shown on Foxtel here in OZ (Half the reason I got Fox). I have to buy a bloody HDTV set top box if I wanna record games now! That will prob cost me like $150 -$200!
End of rant :p

Latest posts