What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC TV Deal Signed

Hindyscrack

Bench
Ridiculous they don't even a guide on the website giving information on which TV stations are showing it in different countries. Might be good for the game in England, Australia and New Zealand but this WC is going to be completely invisible for the rest of the world.

This...

blukablu

Juniors
Well the 2008 deal was worth over $20 million although it had coverage in over 150 countries. Considering this one has coverage in about 2 and a half countries I'd say probably only a fraction of that.

hutch

First Grade
Well the 2008 deal was worth over $20 million although it had coverage in over 150 countries. Considering this one has coverage in about 2 and a half countries I'd say probably only a fraction of that.

I don't remember the 2008 deal being anywhere near that amount, the tournament only made a $5 million profit. Where did you get that from?

Billythekid

First Grade

I don't remember it being so large. Also whilst we should be trying to get these games shown in as many places as possible, lets face it pretty much any money in the tv deal will be coming from the major markets.

mikail-eagle

Bench
PNG Telecast times as put out by EM TV.

1392533_421153664674280_955884029_n.jpg

RedVee

First Grade
I'm in the same boat, RedVee, how has that box worked out for you?

I wouldn't say I'm over the moon, but I can view 7mate and I have test recorded a couple of shows to rove it works. So far so good... The documentation is pretty shit though so I'm finding it a bit of a best guess process.

But it was $198 incl the hdmi cable, so I'll wear that in order to see all the games. I won't stay up for the non Aussie games unless something takes my fancy like Fiji bashing the Poms lol (joke!). I'll move the unit onto the bedroom 32" CRT TV after the RLWC as a STB.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I'm having an issue. My TV records straight onto a hard drive, but I can't watch it on my computer. Any solutions?

fourplay

Juniors
The stupidest world cup TV agreement ever for many Australian viewers.

Last edited:

fourplay

Juniors
I asked Foxtel if they intended to show the games on delay (surely, they'd get them for a pittance). They said they have 'no plans'. :(

It seems odd that they arn't. Rugby league fans are half their viewership so they know it would rate relatively well, especially for the hours that it's on.

deluded pom?

Coach
I don't remember the 2008 deal being anywhere near that amount, the tournament only made a $5 million profit. Where did you get that from?

In one of his recent blogs Steve Mascord reckons the 2008 profit was $4 million. It seems to fall every time I see it quoted somewhere. On a happier note Virgin Media have now opened up a channel to take Premier Sports' coverage of the WC which will mean another four million viewers will have access to all games free of charge here in the UK.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
In one of his recent blogs Steve Mascord reckons the 2008 profit was $4 million. It seems to fall every time I see it quoted somewhere. On a happier note Virgin Media have now opened up a channel to take Premier Sports' coverage of the WC which will mean another four million viewers will have access to all games free of charge here in the UK.

When you take gate takings into account for 2008, I don't think it would have been high given the number of empty seats most game bar the final. Actually it was a poorly attended tournament. Merchandise sales would have taken a hit too. Only things for me that were impressive, were the sponsorships, TV deals, merchandise (quality/style etc) and branding.

Western_Eel

Juniors
It seems odd that they arn't. Rugby league fans are half their viewership so they know it would rate relatively well, especially for the hours that it's on.

It's not up to foxtel the agreement is with channel seven they would have to give the rights to fox to allow them to show it,
I'm sure fix sports would show it if channel seven gave it to them