What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 25 Team List vs Sea Eagles

Glenneel

Bench
I may be wrong, (it would be rare), but at time of scheduling these two clubs were the bottom 2 in 2018, with most predicting they would miss the top 8 this year.
The scheduling for match times (except for earlier matches) I doubt is decided that far ahead and usually the last 8-10 weeks is decided closer to that time.

Glenneel

Bench
Meanwhile if BA proposed to play some junior just so he doesn't spit the dummy and sign with another club for 2021 - you guys would shit your beds.

FMD it's like you guys have seen every match that Stefano Alphabet has played. Because when I listen to the merkins from Parra Podcast, they say that the defensive reads that Alphabet and Oregon make for Wenty are almost as bad as Greg Louganis.

But yeah pick a rookie who is not ready in the final match to see who finishes 5/6th because you know better than BA, Murphy, Kidwell, Potter, O'Neil etc.
Well why aren't these deficiencies being addressed and fixed ffs?! That is why we have coaching staff, isn't it?

Glenneel

Bench
I keep seeing comments in the past few weeks posted all over League Unlimited by people saying "Why the f**k is channel 9 showing [insert Team A v Team B] game instead of showing [insert Team C v Team D]??? FFS the NRL and Channel 9 are off their heads!!!"

I'm not sure if they're taking the piss but I think most genuinely seem to think we're still operating under the old system where channel 9 and the NRL used to only release rounds 5 or 6 weeks in advance.... It hasn't been the case for a few years now. I mean people are bitching about this Sunday's 4pm game and saying it should have been Tigers v Sharks (which is the 2pm game) instead of Panfer's v Knights which is ostensibly a dead rubber now... And the answer is, when the draw was locked in, a lot of people thought Panfers would be a top 4 side in 2019 with Supercoach Cleary coming back, and the Knights with Ponga, Klemmer and Co were ready to challenge too... Conversely, when the draw was done Cleary had walked out on the Tigers and on paper were looking like spoon candidates....
So how come the Dogs have been shown prominently by Ch 9 lately? They were never considered a top 8 side (actually considered spoon worthy) so when is the scheduling decided?

Gronk

Staff member
Well why aren't these deficiencies being addressed and fixed ffs?! That is why we have coaching staff, isn't it?

Not sure if serious.
6.gif

Defence is attitude (der). Some players man up (Moses, a notable poor defender that found his mojo). Some players never get it (Feleti Mateo anyone ?) and that's their downfall. How good would Feleti have been if all his tackles stuck ?
yes.gif

emjaycee

Coach
So how come the Dogs have been shown prominently by Ch 9 lately? They were never considered a top 8 side (actually considered spoon worthy) so when is the scheduling decided?
Probably because in Channel 9's opinion at the end of 2018, the Dogs give them good ratings regardless of how they are travelling on the ladder.

Glenneel

Bench
We've all seen how poor the bench has been the last few months. If we've seen it I'm sure BA has too. He keeps dropping players and bringing them back for the same result. But this is nothing new from BA. In the past he has persisted with a selection expecting a different result but getting the same. So the question has to be asked, is BA slow or stubborn? So why not try something new?

Unfortunately we're not privy to whats happening in the background. The time to select Stefano is now probably past. A match, just one, to see how he goes would have been ideal a few weeks back. He'd bring something different to what we've been getting. And I doubt he'd be any worse than what the others have been bringing, which is FA. Oh well another 2 matches to go before our season finishes.

Incorrect

Coach

I'll address the last question first. The scheduling for the entire 2019 season was locked and loaded back in late 2018, well before a ball was kicked.

Regarding the dogs getting a number of free to air games lately, this is the other factor channel 9 take in to consideration when the schedule is locked in, and that factor is ratings. The Dogs, along with Eels, Dragons and Souths generate the best viewing figures for them (which equals advertising $$'s) so regardless of how those sides are performing or tipped to perform, they will always do their best to schedule these teams on FTA. Brisbane are the other obvious case in point.

With all of that said, I believe 9 are now going to push for a return to the old scheduling process and look to schedule gradually in 5-6 week chunks rather than the whole season before a ball has even been kicked and this is in response to some of the complete dud games they've had to cover lately with no better example than the match they're showing this Saturday night (Titans v Dragons)...

emjaycee

Coach
We've all seen how poor the bench has been the last few months. If we've seen it I'm sure BA has too. He keeps dropping players and bringing them back for the same result. But this is nothing new from BA. In the past he has persisted with a selection expecting a different result but getting the same. So the question has to be asked, is BA slow or stubborn? So why not try something new?

Unfortunately we're not privy to whats happening in the background. The time to select Stefano is now probably past. A match, just one, to see how he goes would have been ideal a few weeks back. He'd bring something different to what we've been getting. And I doubt he'd be any worse than what the others have been bringing, which is FA. Oh well another 2 matches to go before our season finishes.

I know you often look for opportunities to bash BA, but really is this the one to use?
Since Round 14, BA's slowness or stubbornness has resulted in us winning 70% of our games. Argue all you like about easy draw, playing weak teams, etc. - the reality is that we can only play the games we are drawn to play and we have little say in that.

Over the same period of time, the top 2 teams that everyone aspires us to be like (Storm and Rooters) have won only ONE more game than us. Are Bellamy and Robinson slow learners or just stubborn? Are Ricky and Des slow or stubborn? They have won the same amount of games as we have. And let't not discuss whether old man Bennett is slow or stubborn - South have only won half their games in the same period.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
In the past he has persisted with a selection expecting a different result but getting the same. So the question has to be asked, is BA slow or stubborn? So why not try something new?

All the players on our bench have played NSW cup this year, while 4 forwards in our NSW cup side this week have played NRL this year ......probably a good indication BA has been trying different things.....

But but but, he won’t pick a 19 year rookie......

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Anyhow here is something interesting stats, the eels are the 3rd best side for run metres, 4th for tries, 2nd for offloads however we are also 3rd for missed tackles, 4th for errors , 2nd for handling errors.

Glenneel

Bench
Not sure if serious.
6.gif

Defence is attitude (der). Some players man up (Moses, a notable poor defender that found his mojo). Some players never get it (Feleti Mateo anyone ?) and that's their downfall. How good would Feleti have been if all his tackles stuck ?
yes.gif
So defence is just attitude? Would have thought technique and team dynamics played a big part of that as well. And that is what coaches bring to the table. Better technique and team structures in differing situations which leads to better attitude. (der)

Gronk

Staff member
So defence is just attitude? Would have thought technique and team dynamics played a big part of that as well. And that is what coaches bring to the table. Better technique and team structures in differing situations which leads to better attitude. (der)

I hear you mate. The coach needs to cop some blame for a merkin who is a poor tackler.

Case in point: James Maloney. The merkin tops the missed tackles count every year.

Craig Bellamy, Ivan Cleary, Trent Robinson, Shane Flanagan, Anthony Griffin and (again this year) Ivan Cleary are f**king hopeless.

emjaycee

Coach
I hear you mate. The coach needs to cop some blame for a merkin who is a poor tackler.

Case in point: James Maloney. The merkin tops the missed tackles count every year.

Craig Bellamy, Ivan Cleary, Trent Robinson, Shane Flanagan, Anthony Griffin and (again this year) Ivan Cleary are f**king hopeless.
Why did you leave BA off that list?
:wink: