What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Panthers Vs Cowboys - Panthers Stadium

WestyLife

First Grade
Watching again now and the reason we went wide so often looks to be because the forwards were bending the line and getting good play the balls almost every run.

snickers007

Juniors
A lot of talk around the media about how bad NQ were, it seems everyone has forgotten that is what we do.
We force teams into looking bad with relentless pressure and field position.
NQ were bad because they were exhausted and could find no space. Their forwards were dominated and their backs got belted.

A few years back, when we had Nigel Plum and Adam Docker playing, there was a narrative around us that other teams brought their worst performances for us, and that's why we were winning often.

I always thought that we were attacking through defence. Fast line speed, big first contact, and tackling in groups. That led to dropped balls etc.

It was the same last night, Cowboys were bad, because we dominated them in every aspect. Yeah we dropped a lot of ball too, but where we dropped it was very different to where the Cowboys dropped it.

Obviously I'd like our execution to improve as the season goes on, but I'd much prefer our defence to stay aggressive.

betcats

Referee
We bombed a heap of tries. Mom and To’o knocked on in the act of scoring. Critta definitely bombed one not passing to to’o. They were the real obvious ones I can remember, there was a few half chances missed also. Should’ve been 40 nil at least but it was a hot day and round one. The important thing for us was that we created linebreaks and chances, we won’t bomb that many again.

The Realist

Juniors
Cows threw nothing at us.

I know you can only play what's in front of you but we'd have missed much more versing storm or chooks. Storms first half was absolutely clinical and no team in the nrl was stopping that.

Last night was a nice win. A lot to work on now.

Positives for me were clearys kicking game has improved again.
Brian Too fantastic
Edwards continues to prove doubters wrong
Spencer is a very special talent
Eiso made me eat my words. Whilst it's easy to look good with 65% possession..I thought he was strong. I hope he keeps it up. He is a tall guy, should be encouraged to offload in attacking territory

Concerns-
Staines is definitely going to be a work in progress and take time. Only 80 odd meters in a completely dominant performance is not the best. I don't expect him to be mansour but he should be used more around the ruck and tired markers.

I thought our right side in general lacked a bit of punch. Capewell was good but it stopped there. Momo and Staines really did nothing. Our attack was very much dominated through middle and left. Our attack was clunky in general though so im sure it'll improve.

One of the few people in this thread who is not deluded. Yeah we won comfortably - against a pathetic rabble that were not 1st Grade standard. If we were playing to the standard of late last season we'd have put 60 on them. Clearly we are rusty as hell and have regressed in the offseason. Storm and Roosters however look like professional outfits from game 1.

Say all you want and bag me all you want - if you were 'team blind' and watched all three play without know a thing about them - which team is the one you'd leave out? Coincidentally both of those teams are long term successful teams and we are perennial losers - and it is little wonder with the loser think and lack of standards displayed by the vast majority of the fans.

franklin2323

Immortal
One of the few people in this thread who is not deluded. Yeah we won comfortably - against a pathetic rabble that were not 1st Grade standard. If we were playing to the standard of late last season we'd have put 60 on them. Clearly we are rusty as hell and have regressed in the offseason. Storm and Roosters however look like professional outfits from game 1.

Say all you want and bag me all you want - if you were 'team blind' and watched all three play without know a thing about them - which team is the one you'd leave out? Coincidentally both of those teams are long term successful teams and we are perennial losers - and it is little wonder with the loser think and lack of standards displayed by the vast majority of the fans.

This year was the 1st time since 2017 Roosters have won in Round 1. It isn't about starting perfect it is about timing your run

franklin2323

Immortal
We bombed a heap of tries. Mom and To’o knocked on in the act of scoring. Critta definitely bombed one not passing to to’o. They were the real obvious ones I can remember, there was a few half chances missed also. Should’ve been 40 nil at least but it was a hot day and round one. The important thing for us was that we created linebreaks and chances, we won’t bomb that many again.

There were the 2 you mentioned.
Both centres bombed by not passing to open wingers
Kikau was into a gap only to step back in
Martin dropped it with an open line

betcats

Referee
There were the 2 you mentioned.
Both centres bombed by not passing to open wingers
Kikau was into a gap only to step back in
Martin dropped it with an open line

Yeah the Martin one is another one definitely, he was going over untouched. I’ll have to watch the replay to remember the others, I had about 50 beers last night

betcats

Referee
The kikau, Capewell and Martin edge rotation is so good we are going to feast down those corridors this season.

The momirovski Staines combo needs some time definitely but I think it has a lot of attacking potential if they can work it out. Edwards form last night was very encouraging he could really unlock that right side if he keeps that up.

betcats

Referee

What a load of shit.

Did the Storm or Roosters keep their respective opposition scoreless?!?

You’re seriously taking the p155.

Kilkenny

Coach

You are clearly the benchmark, no need for me to objectively watch a replay and enjoy the many positives out of our performance.

Perennial losers, regressed in the offseason, delusional fan base? You have formed such a view after around 1?

Wow, no need for anyone really to call you out, your posts say it all, speak for themselves. Keep up the good work if it makes you feel better.

martielang

Bench

Agree, we are no chance of winning the GF now after that performance. Seasons over. Roosters woulda held them to -4.

betcats

Referee
The bombed tries are not a sign of regression at all. Regression would of been having all that ball and not creating chances. Dropping the ball over the line or with the line wide open is really annoying but it’s also uncharacteristic for this side abd given it’s round one it’s nothing to worry about imo.

Kilkenny

Coach
Was it a shame we didn’t win by 40 plus, definitely, we could have and should have won by a far bigger margin.

I walked out of the ground feeling pretty good, Round 1, no obvious injuries, job done against a side with numerous representative players, new coach so while not perfect I thought it was a really good performance while being far from perfect. Perfection in Round 1 means there is probably only one way to go during a long tough season.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah the Martin one is another one definitely, he was going over untouched. I’ll have to watch the replay to remember the others, I had about 50 beers last night

I haven't watched it again only from live at the ground. So likely missed some

franklin2323

Immortal
The bombed tries are not a sign of regression at all. Regression would of been having all that ball and not creating chances. Dropping the ball over the line or with the line wide open is really annoying but it’s also uncharacteristic for this side abd given it’s round one it’s nothing to worry about imo.

Yep. Creating tries on both sides of the ruck it is a good sign

Kilkenny

Coach
I haven't watched it again only from live at the ground. So likely missed some

I haven’t had the opportunity yet to watch a replay or even the highlights package. I actually don’t feel I have too to be honest, like Betcats I probably had the beer googles on given I put in a big shift at home gardening before going to the game but I enjoyed it, if a tad frustrated we didn’t out 40 plus on them. The analysis of the Realist is probably the most unrealistic assessment I have ever read in this forum. Quite astonishing really.