1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Round 1 Panthers Vs Cowboys - Panthers Stadium

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by WestyLife, Feb 28, 2021.

1. franklin2323

franklin2323 Immortal

Later in the year you can. No one has the fitness yet

2. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

I love that our club is at a point where we can have a first round win of 24-0, with no injuries and still can find a page of shit to improve on.

It wasn’t that long ago that we would have been over the moon with a 8-6 win. Shows that we have shifted our standards up a lot higher.

Two points in the, Defence looks good, Plenty to work on in attack. No injuries that we are aware of.

Life’s Good

3. John Hamblin

John Hamblin Juniors

We have 6 of first 7 games at night . A big advantage in the warmer months

tripster and Jane Murray like this.
  4. chrisD

chrisD Coach

I didn't think Edward's passing was that great, looked to me like what it is, a non natural making a decent go of it because we need it. It's also obvious he's only doing it on the right.

Capewell hasn't got a mention, I think he should, thought he was only topped by Fish in the quality/quantity from our forwards last night. Swapped sides of the field too and was as solid as could be in defence on both.

Kev07, age.s, Girds89 and 2 others like this.
  5. kinghippo

kinghippo Juniors

We didn't go to the right much at all, and when we did it usually ended up with a 2nd rower cutting back in.
    It's a brand new combination, 2nd row, centre and wing, it will improve as will momorovski.

Blade23 likes this.
  6. panthersam

panthersam Juniors

Totally agree, nothing ever really looks smooth in his passing like it does for some of the other fullback sweeping into those backline movements.

I think as the year goes on we should be switching Edwards and Staines in attack at different times when close to the opposition line to see what that can potentially produce.

Crashtest likes this.
  7. kinghippo

kinghippo Juniors

A lot of talk around the media about how bad NQ were, it seems everyone has forgotten that is what we do.
    We force teams into looking bad with relentless pressure and field position.
    NQ were bad because they were exhausted and could find no space. Their forwards were dominated and their backs got belted.
    We made our mistakes in attacking situations, we dropped 3 over the line and easily could have had a lot more.
    The part of the game I liked was despite the mistakes we kept pushing the attack. There was no point playing safety first footy, they didn't let the mistakes worry them, reset and pushed again. Very professional.

8. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

I’ll watch the replay later, but I don’t remember him throwing a bad pass?

9. Crashtest

Crashtest Juniors

He showed last night he can hold down the 4th prop spot. Topped the tackle count with 32 at 94%, and ran for 129m. Not bad numbers for a budget buy.

Blade23, The Teach, WestyLife and 2 others like this.
  10. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Referee

He’s a great attacking weapon, no doubt. And he can play centre, but he’s more suited to the wing. I don’t see his defence ever really improving, so to demand a spot at centre he’s going to have to keep up a high rate of try scoring. If that slips away, even a little, he can’t play centre.

11. herbert henry1908

Easy. He can’t read defence.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t play centre, but in order to he either needs to improve his defence or maintain a very high rate of try scoring in the centres.

12. Girds89

Girds89 Juniors

See my post re: m Jennings..

Was a terrible defender early in his career. Some good coaching turned him into a great defender.

Defence can be taught. X factor can not.

13. herbert henry1908

Naden is 25, he’s been around for a fair while now. I’m almost certain they would’ve done a lot of work on his defence already.

The Teach and Jane Murray like this.
  14. WestyLife

WestyLife Bench

If he can he needs to use it more and it's him creating the perception that he can't do it consistently.

Ivan seemed to be disappointed in how the game went so I'm taking it as us just being raw and the coaching staff will have it sorted.

exactly. I'll keep an eye on him going forward but I'm missing this thing where he can't handle first grade.

Agreed, I'll never be happier to eat my words.

This is a big point. Our defense frustrated the Cowboys so much.

I'd say they just want to keep up with his development as he is their long term 5/8.

It's all the defence with the extra speed in the game I assume.

betcats likes this.
  15. franklin2323

franklin2323 Immortal

Shorter pre-season, It was crazy hot too.

The state of the game too. If it was closer him and Kikau would of came on sooner

WestyLife likes this.
  16. Panfa

Panfa Juniors

Anyone know if api is OK had his wrist wrapped up and didn't play the last 25 minutes.I know it was hot and sweaty and only rd 1 but there were plenty of bad passes and our attack looked so slow compared to storm and chooks.I think naden needs to come in for either momirovski or Edwards after rd 4 something doesn't feel right attack looks so slow.

17. Blade23

Blade23 Juniors

As of last night, Api was fine. He came off gassed.

18. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Bench

I've just finished watching the game, thanks @soc123 for the link. That game was a pleasure to watch. We bombed at least four tries, which I put down to the humidity. 13 players are locally produced. I was waiting with bated breath, hoping that the Fish scored, imagine the cheers when this happens? We played so well, we forced the cowboys to play poorly. No player played badly, and just think some believe the lost of experienced players will hurt? Unlikely.

CCJohnC likes this.
  19. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Bench

The Panthers kicked off their 2021 NRL season with a comfortable victory over the Cowboys at Panthers Stadium.

James Fisher-Harris was unstoppable, running for 219 metres and making 30 tackles through the middle of the field. Out wide Brian To'o came out of the game with 184 running metres, 12 tackle breaks and a spectacular four-pointer.

See all the stats that mattered below:

MOST TACKLES

• Matt Eisenhuth: 32
    • Api Koroisau: 31
    • James Fisher-Harris: 30
    • Isaah Yeo: 29
    • Liam Martin: 25
    • Moses Leota: 23 (0 missed tackles)
    • Kurt Capewell: 18 (0 missed tackles)
    • Spencer Leniu: 17 (0 missed tackles)
    LOUD AND PROUD: ALLAM HOMES TEAM SONG

MOST METRES

• James Fisher-Harris: 219m (22 runs)
    • Brian To'o: 184m (18 runs)
    • Isaah Yeo: 160m (20 runs)
    • Dylan Edwards: 148m (17 runs)
    • Paul Momirovski: 147m (16 runs)
    • Spencer Leniu: 145m (14 runs)
    • Nathan Cleary: 140m (17 runs)
    • Matthew Eisenhuth: 129m (15 runs)
    • Stephen Crichton: 123m (13 runs)
    • Moses Leota: 105m (12 runs)
    POST CONTACT METRES

• James Fisher-Harris: 107m
    • Brian To’o: 78m
    • Isaah Yeo: 72m
    • Spencer Leniu: 65m
    • Matt Eisenhuth: 56m
    • Paul Momirovski: 54m
    • Dylan Edwards: 50m
    • Moses Leota: 47m
    • Stepehen Crichton: 45m
    OAK PLUS GALLERY: PANTHERS V COWBOYS

MOST TACKLE BREAKS

• Brian To’o: 12
    • Dylan Edwards: 6
    • Paul Momirovski: 5
    • Viliame Kikau: 4
    • Kurt Capewell: 4
    MOST OFFLOADS

• Liam Martin: 1
    • Nathan Cleary: 1
    • Viliame Kikau: 1
    • Tyrone May: 1
    • Jarome Luai: 1
    • Paul Momirovski: 1
    • Dylan Edwards: 1

MOST LINE BREAKS

• Brian To’o: 2
    • Paul Momirovski: 1
    • Nathan Cleary: 1
    TRIES

• Kurt Capewell: 1
    • Brian To’o: 1
    • Isaah Yeo: 1
    TRY ASSISTS

• Nathan Cleary: 2
    • Stephen Crichton: 1
    • Jarome Luai: 1
    • Liam Martin: 1
    GOALS

• Nathan Cleary: 4 from 5
    Panthers Cowboys
    Metres 1,955m 1,302m
    Post Contact Metres 726m 584m
    Possession 60% 40%
    Completion Rate 67% 59%
    Tackles 302 383
    Tackle Breaks 42 16
    Line Breaks 7 1
    Kicking Metres 508m 366m

MugaB and Crashtest like this.
  20. Buzzard Breath

Buzzard Breath Bench

Always good to start round 1 off with a win.
    Last night was our record 10th straight win at Penrith.
    Coming into last night since NRL era our win percentage for round 1 was 34.8%

A few points

• As with last year, our attack at the start of the season and after the resumption was rusty. We got better as the year rolled on, but at times left points out on the field. The better teams will be on to us this year. Given it was round 1 I would expect the attack to hum as the year progresses. We have plenty of lethal options in attack if used right.
    • I thought our middle was outstanding last night. I am biased but I think Fish is the best prop in the game right now.
    • I was so relieved we were able to retain Leniu. A few of us have thought it (and @Smug Panther has said it repeatedly). He will overtake Leota by the end of the year.
    • Eisenhuth was terrific. Exactly what you want from a prop. He made plenty of metres and more than held his own in defence.
    • Yeo reliable as ever.
    • Momirovski went ok and I think he will be a good buy for the club. He does suffer a little like Crichton of having tunnel vision for the line. He just needs a little awareness. Know when to back yourself and go, and know when there is a sure try on offer by passing. I think he can be a good distributor for Staines and score a handy tally for himself.
    • I see a good combo of Cleary onto Capewell developing. I am not so sure of moving him over to the other side for Kikau's breather. Martin tore Cronulla apart a few years ago on the left. I would play him there for Kikau's breather. Then shift Martin into the middle later on.
    • 'Left side is best side' We pose a mouth-watering combination of potential tries and line breaks on the left edge. Get it right, Chrichton and To'o will be fighting it out for the Top try scorer gong in the NRL this year.

Last night was the first night in the club's history we kept a team scoreless in round 1.

CCJohnC, Pomoz, Crashtest and 4 others like this.