What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Teamlist

Dezziedc

Juniors
So many pre-season meltdowns this past fortnight, is it a full moon??

o Witt over Williams: I'm surprised but ok with it, neither of them setting the world alike, Witt is probably more active on the field than Williams and perhaps he will goalkick too.. Williams can show his stuff for the cutters for a few weeks, its only Round 1.

o Stanley on Bench: I hate it but it was expected, 1000% agree he should be the cutters #6, but Chinless doesnt change his mind on decisions like this.

o Forwards: Creagh to 2nd row is surprising.. especially giving up his prop spot for Hunt, I think its a mistake but anyway lets see how it pans out, changes can be made for Round 2. Not sure what's going on with Thompson, but I wouldn't worry too much, there will be plenty of forward rotation in the first month.

I mean there are several illogical errors in his selection, but no different to any other round in the last 3 seasons, nothing so glaring that will sink us, its more fine-tuning, and I think disappointing for Stanley but lets see what happens, maybe he will even get a run in the halves at some point..

I agree Rev. I was expecting to see Williams in the team but am OK with Witt. My view is that neither have clicked with Widdop in the games we have seen so far, but maybe Witt provides something over Williams at this early stage. Maybe Witt provides something on the field or in the pre-season that we haven't seen. Willing to see what happens on Sunday.

Agree with everyone that Stanley should be in the Cutters but as someone else has mentioned that he may come on to replace Witt during the game and Witt may slot back to Hooker to give Rein a break. Makes sense and may not be a bad move ensuring we have someone already on the field who is reading the game and you are essentially running the game with 3 halves.

My main concern is the forwards. They are the key here. I think there may be some shuffling before Sunday and some positions may change. But they need to be tougher and more 'in their face' than they have shown so far. They need to give our halves room to shine and control the game. If they don't, it won't matter how good our attack is, we'll never get to see it.

BrissyRedV

Bench
What can you say?? He has gone out on a limb and that is prerogative because it is his neck on the line. They just better win

BennyV

Referee
Those stating that Stanley is coming off the bench to halfback and Witt will go to hooker...that's a dumb idea (not saying Price won't do it though)...these first rounds are about new combos gelling, especially the halves combo. Chopping and changing that during the game is silly. Why not just start Stanley at 7? Makes zero sense...again, that's not saying Price won't do it...

Redvpassion

Juniors
So you'll be cheering for Wests then?

I'm pretty sure saint nick will be cheering for the dragons like all of us will be, but I'm sure you understand that we say these things out of fraustrations against the club. you can't say you like what you see or hear about our club. We are better than this. We are St.George Illawarra Dragons not some club just to make up numbers.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Price is an embarrassment to the team, the club, the state, the NRL, the country, the male gender, the human race, the planet earth, our solar system...................

Grow some cojones Doust and bone this idiot!!

I with ya Cagey. We should all march down to Dragons HQ, & demand Doust bones Price. And if Doust doesn't bone Price, we bone Doust ourselves.

Redvpassion

Juniors
Then we shouldn't ever be wishing for our club to lose, should we?
No we shouldn't but we fans are part of the club if not the club. If we see our team being run by idiots and going backwards then I'm sure we understand why someone would say that. We all want to be proven wrong about this season, but I'm sure most, if not all of us agree it might not happen and it could be just another season.

Dezziedc

Juniors
Those stating that Stanley is coming off the bench to halfback and Witt will go to hooker...that's a dumb idea (not saying Price won't do it though)...these first rounds are about new combos gelling, especially the halves combo. Chopping and changing that during the game is silly. Why not just start Stanley at 7? Makes zero sense...again, that's not saying Price won't do it...

Maybe it is a way to ease Stanley into the role. Maybe he is a better proposition than Williams at this stage. But maybe it is too early to know who will slot into the role for sure so Witt is being used as a stop gap (a more experienced stop gap) while we work out who should fill the position on a more permanent basis.

Realistically there has only been 1 trial game where we have seen any potential combos - and that was anything but definitive. That and the pre-season is all Price has to work with. There is probably still some unknowns and this may be a way to test this out while still playing it safe somewhat with Witt in the role on a temporary basis.

I agree that it is a time for combos to gel, but the Cutters/Mudgee trial and the 9s were a waste of time from a trial perspective. There are probably still questions to be answered.

Godz Illa

Coach
The selection of Witt over Williams can't be rationalised. I'm willing to find the bright side in any situation, but with this one the glass is completely empty. It makes zero sense from any perspective.

And this is not the only problem with the team - just the biggest one.

The wine I had with dinner isn't helping

Dezziedc

Juniors
The selection of Witt over Williams can't be rationalised. I'm willing to find the bright side in any situation, but with this one the glass is completely empty. It makes zero sense from any perspective.

And this is not the only problem with the team - just the biggest one.

The wine I had with dinner isn't helping

To be honest, I don't think it matters what the team selection was, 90% of the posters on this forum will whine and bitch about it. That seems to be all they can do.

watatank

Coach
Maybe it is a way to ease Stanley into the role. Maybe he is a better proposition than Williams at this stage. But maybe it is too early to know who will slot into the role for sure so Witt is being used as a stop gap (a more experienced stop gap) while we work out who should fill the position on a more permanent basis.

Realistically there has only been 1 trial game where we have seen any potential combos - and that was anything but definitive. That and the pre-season is all Price has to work with. There is probably still some unknowns and this may be a way to test this out while still playing it safe somewhat with Witt in the role on a temporary basis.

I agree that it is a time for combos to gel, but the Cutters/Mudgee trial and the 9s were a waste of time from a trial perspective. There are probably still questions to be answered.

It wasn't just one game, the CS team was pretty much identical to the first half of the Cutters/Mudgee trial, which IMO gives a good indication that they were training that way all pre season. Should be said that Witt didn't play, but then why play so little in the halves in the CS? Creagh also didn't play but he took his place up front in the CS and now he's moving back to playing wide, while one of our biggest name recruits warms the bench? The wingers didn't play either but irrelevant to the discussion.

It just looks to me that Price has favoured experience and has shelved any plans of developing combinations or individuals games in a desperate bid to win and save his career.

Como Connection

First Grade
Witt is in the team in front of Williams because he will replace Rein, Stanley to 1/2's at that stage.
Stanley is a half.
Hope Witt is also is first choice as kicker, Williams cannot play hooker.
I'm with Price with this selection.

gonz

Juniors
There's our wonderful thinking coach !

For those sick of the word chinless ! U chinless
_____ !

Anymore defense if this clown would now be an embarrassment

BennyV

Referee
Witt is in the team in front of Williams because he will replace Rein, Stanley to 1/2's at that stage.
Stanley is a half.
Hope Witt is also is first choice as kicker, Williams cannot play hooker.
I'm with Price with this selection.

As i said, the notion of pushing a fatigued half to hooker only to bring on a utility as half, thus chopping and changing our new halves combos as we are trying to get them to gel, is stupid to a level that I thought was beyond even Price.

You don't need your inside sources to tell you that, it's a FACT.

chillwinston

Juniors
While I know Price has a thing for Kyle, It also doesn't help when your back up hooker makes a stupid choice off the field and gets himself charged with assault...