What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 - Dolphins

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Dylan Edwards gets more like 200M per game. He catches the ball and runs fast to the defence then does his jig.
Yep. I'm struggling to see the point in persevering with Sloane at fullback. Everyone is saying "he'll get better he'll get better". Well guess what? Tedesco, Trbojevic, Slater, Dugan, Darius Boyd, all very good fullbacks from their very first games. Sloane as a good fullback is a myth.

Mojo

Bench
Yep. I'm struggling to see the point in persevering with Sloane at fullback. Everyone is saying "he'll get better he'll get better". Well guess what? Tedesco, Trbojevic, Slater, Dugan, Darius Boyd, all very good fullbacks from their very first games. Sloane as a good fullback is a myth.
Play him on the wing for a while! FB is such a hard position to start a FG career.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Check Sloan's first 5 games in NRL back in 2021. He scored 6 tries and had everyone talking him up. 6 tries in 5 games is pretty damn good. The super coach dropped him in 2022 for a few dropped balls in shocking conditions and absolutely damaged his confidence.

All fullbacks mentioned started in good systems under better coaches. Saints juniors had Mary then Hook.

jay mac

Juniors
Dylan Edwards gets more like 200M per game. He catches the ball and runs fast to the defence then does his jig.
His total running metres are >200m but his kick returns are usually around half that number. That’s where we are struggling with Sloan IMO. He has no desire to return the ball into to kick chase so wastes seconds trying to link with wingers hence we lose 10-15m per set. Someone needs to show him video of the way a young Karmichael Hunt would return the ball

Victoire

Juniors
Mate I understand the conjecture during the week about de Belin being captain. I myself am undecided on that matter in and of itself. But don't let that agenda against him skew the truth. That was Bird's tackle, he completely overran the play for seemingly no reason. Watch it again.
jj.PNG
I don't think Bird is blameless - but he's guilty of over-reading, if anything. With the Dolphins lock floating behind he's counted the numbers and found we're short (which we would've been). De Belin on the other hand doesn't read at all and just floats there marking no-one. It was poor.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Check Sloan's first 5 games in NRL back in 2021. He scored 6 tries and had everyone talking him up. 6 tries in 5 games is pretty damn good. The super coach dropped him in 2022 for a few dropped balls in shocking conditions and absolutely damaged his confidence.

All fullbacks mentioned started in good systems under better coaches. Saints juniors had Mary then Hook.
Sloan ran harder and made more metres in his first season where he was lighter and smaller and more inexperienced

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
His total running metres are >200m but his kick returns are usually around half that number. That’s where we are struggling with Sloan IMO. He has no desire to return the ball into to kick chase so wastes seconds trying to link with wingers hence we lose 10-15m per set. Someone needs to show him video of the way a young Karmichael Hunt would return the ball
Why does somebody else have to show him?
All the tools are already there for “him” to use if “he” so desires.

Walpole

Juniors
Mate I understand the conjecture during the week about de Belin being captain. I myself am undecided on that matter in and of itself. But don't let that agenda against him skew the truth. That was Bird's tackle, he completely overran the play for seemingly no reason. Watch it again.
Agenda against him? Poor Jack.

Whatever peoples agenda, the fact is Mark Nicholls, yes Mark Nicholls, ran between two former origin players while we were defending our line and neither laid a hand on him.

jay mac

Juniors
Why does somebody else have to show him?
All the tools are already there for “him” to use if “he” so desires.
Well, i don't think anyone is coaching him correctly, so that's why i think someone needs to show him something. And i think it's abundantly clear he either lacks the "desire" or confidence to deliver critical aspects of the role of a fullback.

Old Timer

Coach
Well, i don't think anyone is coaching him correctly, so that's why i think someone needs to show him something. And i think it's abundantly clear he either lacks the "desire" or confidence to deliver critical aspects of the role of a fullback.
Surely he doesn’t need anyone to tell him that there are a gazillion YouTube’s of games that he can watch to see how the very best FB’s play the game?
The commentary teams and the million slow motion shots can guide him if he ever bothers to watch them.
I know if I was embarking on a career in footy I’d be spending my time looking at the best in action and wouldn’t need anyone to tell me to do it.

be55

Juniors
Re the Nicholls try, the blame lies with more than one player. You had six guys, either side of the play the ball, all within 5 meters of each other, who only had eyes for Marshall-King. They aren’t even looking anywhere else but the dummy half. All of them need to be eyes up to see where the potential threat is coming from.

I’m a big fan of De Belin's, but he doesn’t even look up to see Nicholls until he receives the ball, and by then it’s too late. Sloan, Molo and Liddell have the dummy half covered and everybody else needs to be getting the spacing right to get players in front of the threats. The ball was either going to Nicholls, or out the back to Katoa. You can’t expect Bird to come in to pick up Nicholls or be tighter to De Belin because, if the ball does go to Katoa, you’d have only three players on the left to cover half the field. Correct spacing needs four players either side of the goal posts. De Belin didn’t need to be so tight with Liddell. Marshal-King was clearly covered. He needed to be ready to cut Nicholls in half if he got the ball or lead off if it went to Katoa. I’m a big fan of what Jack does on the field, but he got the spacing wrong there. And it’s probably due to fatigue and the poorly taught defensive structures that have been evident for a while now.

I wasn’t really buying it when people were saying that the team isn’t fit enough but I totally agree with that now. We were gassed after 15 mins in the first half and just about spent after 10 in the second. Bird looks overweight, I was thinking last week that Lawrie looks to have gained weight since the start of the season (work that one out) and Bud’s arse would make an Instagram model jealous.

If Ryles does get the gig, with the systems he’s coming out of, I guarantee these guys are in for the shock of their lives. Get these guys running hills and really work on their fitness so they can match it with other teams for longer periods. And for God’s sake get Sloan on a weight gain and muscle building diet. 3 pre-seasons under Hook and he doesn’t look much bigger than when I first saw him playing SG Ball. Steaks and weights for Sloan and double leg days. He needs more muscle on his frame for his confidence if nothing else.

We are truly a mess at the moment. We need a new coach, with new support staff, and fresh ideas that are compatible with the modern-day game. We've been left behind because of three years of neglect...

Mojo

Bench
Re the Nicholls try, the blame lies with more than one player. You had six guys, either side of the play the ball, all within 5 meters of each other, who only had eyes for Marshall-King. They aren’t even looking anywhere else but the dummy half. All of them need to be eyes up to see where the potential threat is coming from.

I’m a big fan of De Belin's, but he doesn’t even look up to see Nicholls until he receives the ball, and by then it’s too late. Sloan, Molo and Liddell have the dummy half covered and everybody else needs to be getting the spacing right to get players in front of the threats. The ball was either going to Nicholls, or out the back to Katoa. You can’t expect Bird to come in to pick up Nicholls or be tighter to De Belin because, if the ball does go to Katoa, you’d have only three players on the left to cover half the field. Correct spacing needs four players either side of the goal posts. De Belin didn’t need to be so tight with Liddell. Marshal-King was clearly covered. He needed to be ready to cut Nicholls in half if he got the ball or lead off if it went to Katoa. I’m a big fan of what Jack does on the field, but he got the spacing wrong there. And it’s probably due to fatigue and the poorly taught defensive structures that have been evident for a while now.

I wasn’t really buying it when people were saying that the team isn’t fit enough but I totally agree with that now. We were gassed after 15 mins in the first half and just about spent after 10 in the second. Bird looks overweight, I was thinking last week that Lawrie looks to have gained weight since the start of the season (work that one out) and Bud’s arse would make an Instagram model jealous.

If Ryles does get the gig, with the systems he’s coming out of, I guarantee these guys are in for the shock of their lives. Get these guys running hills and really work on their fitness so they can match it with other teams for longer periods. And for God’s sake get Sloan on a weight gain and muscle building diet. 3 pre-seasons under Hook and he doesn’t look much bigger than when I first saw him playing SG Ball. Steaks and weights for Sloan and double leg days. He needs more muscle on his frame for his confidence if nothing else.

We are truly a mess at the moment. We need a new coach, with new support staff, and fresh ideas that are compatible with the modern-day game. We've been left behind because of three years of neglect...
Yes, our goal line defence in particular has been glaringly deficient for many years now. I agree that the fitness of certain players is also an obvious problem. Some of these guys have overhang guts; others have remained like stick creatures for years. It's not good enough.
(However, Bird's race-out (non-)defence in the Nicholls try was crazy.)

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Yes, our goal line defence in particular has been glaringly deficient for many years now. I agree that the fitness of certain players is also an obvious problem. Some of these guys have overhang guts; others have remained like stick creatures for years. It's not good enough.
(However, Bird's race-out (non-)defence in the Nicholls try was crazy.)
Sadly, no matter what position Bird plays, the "race out and leave a huge gap" defence is his "go to" defensive method. It often leads to a line break by the opposition.
But I'm a fan, so what do I know?

jay mac

Juniors
Surely he doesn’t need anyone to tell him that there are a gazillion YouTube’s of games that he can watch to see how the very best FB’s play the game?
The commentary teams and the million slow motion shots can guide him if he ever bothers to watch them.
I know if I was embarking on a career in footy I’d be spending my time looking at the best in action and wouldn’t need anyone to tell me to do it.
You and me both OT.

Phantom V

Juniors
I have to agree with you Johnno. I don’t care about the odd mistake because he’s learning his craft but the thing that concerns me is that he’s not having a proper dig.

Just look at the way he runs the ball over the dead ball line without even trying to run it back. It does my head in, and as someone has already posted, he’s always looking for someone to link up with, rather than hitting the line. Someone needs to have a word with him quick smart. I’m losing patience with this kid.

This Year?

Immortal
I'm still pissed off with how inconsistent refs are. If that high shot was on Hynes or a poster boy instead of a fan hating Dragon, Nikorima would have got binned. Also it was like K Bromwich was given free pass for his grubby shit too.
Butler and Gee can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Walpole

Juniors
I don't really subscribe to the theory that the refs are to blame for the loss but one thing they got horribly wrong was not awarding an 8 point try for Bird's try. From the NRL rule book:

Offence against Try scorer
9. If a player fouls an opponent who is touching down for a try, a penalty kick at goal shall be taken from in front of the goal posts after the attempt to convert the try.

Wouldn't have made much difference in the end but it couldn't get any clearer.

Gippsy

Bench
I'm still pissed off with how inconsistent refs are. If that high shot was on Hynes or a poster boy instead of a fan hating Dragon, Nikorima would have got binned. Also it was like K Bromwich was given free pass for his grubby shit too.
Butler and Gee can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
Yep, and the other thing that pisses me off is Bromwich holding is head, obviously playing for a penalty, at the slightest of grazes to the back of his neck. Grubby, cheating, ex-Storm tactics, and how easy is it that they get away with it.

hewi

Bench
The dangerous tackle on Ray Stone, which saw de Belin sent to the sin bin sparked controversy, but ultimately is the sort of tackle the NRL are attempting to stamp out.

A Grade 1 offence means he is eligible for an $1800 fine with an early guilty plea being the second offence on his rolling 12-month record, while he could be up for $2500 if he heads to the judiciary and loses the challenge.

Nikorima was cited for a high tackle on Jack Bird in the early minutes of the contest.

It also brought controversy with it, with Nikorima taking Bird out in the act of scoring. Calls for an eight-point try were ultimately overlooked, although Nikorima was put on report.

The Grade 1 offence will also see him up for $1800 being a second offence on his record, with $2500 risked by going to the judiciary.

Stone was charged for a dangerous throw on Ben Murdoch-Masila. He is also able to escape with a $2500 fine for an early guilty plea on the Grade 1 offence, but could risk two matches by heading to the judiciary.

So all grade 1 charges JDB gets penalised and binned the other two get fined with no penalty or binning. Why?