What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 - Sea Eagles vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 20th March 5:30pm @Lottoland

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Well well well im surprised im still alive to write this. This team hurts my heart.

Great to get the 2 points there as I really thought we had our backs against the wall not to mention pretty much every 50/50 call went Manly's way.

Cook responded very well to the criticism and was our best on the field today. Benji Marshall will be a huge asset for us this year. Cody still needs to pull his finger out. Manly are a bunch of grubs.

Glory glory fellas.

Rabbit57

Juniors
The biggest threat to our prospects this year is stupidity and lack of discipline. The last minute altercation Involved Sua, then Mitchell and Walker going at the head of opposition players? Why? With 30 seconds to go taking an unnecessary action that risks being suspended would be challenging if it was from schoolboys. But from your elite nrl players it is beyond belief. Compare this sort of behaviour with the likes of Cameron Murray and I know who is more likely to let us down at crucial times.
Hopefully Wayne looks to show a few of the stars a week in reserves so they can rethink their approach.

assess5

Juniors
The biggest threat to our prospects this year is stupidity and lack of discipline. The last minute altercation Involved Sua, then Mitchell and Walker going at the head of opposition players? Why? With 30 seconds to go taking an unnecessary action that risks being suspended would be challenging if it was from schoolboys. But from your elite nrl players it is beyond belief. Compare this sort of behaviour with the likes of Cameron Murray and I know who is more likely to let us down at crucial times.
Hopefully Wayne looks to show a few of the stars a week in reserves so they can rethink their approach.
Wish I said that.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Its easier said than done. Garrick and Parker had been niggling Gagai and Johnston all game. Sometimes emotions get high and im glad to see the boys having eachother's backs rather than just backing off. Manly were trying to get under our skin at the end there. 2 weeks on the sideline is not a big deal at this stage of the season compared to not having your mates back.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Its easier said than done. Garrick and Parker had been niggling Gagai and Johnston all game. Sometimes emotions get high and im glad to see the boys having eachother's backs rather than just backing off. Manly were trying to get under our skin at the end there. 2 weeks on the sideline is not a big deal at this stage of the season compared to not having your mates back.

Exactly.

Also these are the kind of players Bennett loves and has success with. Cheeky halves, Agressive second rowers and brilliantly talented confidence players who Bennett let's express themselves.

There's a place in a team for both a 'grub' like Sua and a clean hard worker like cam murray

Rabbit57

Juniors
Exactly.

Also these are the kind of players Bennett loves and has success with. Cheeky halves, Agressive second rowers and brilliantly talented confidence players who Bennett let's express themselves.

There's a place in a team for both a 'grub' like Sua and a clean hard worker like cam murray

Rabbit57

Juniors
My issue is Walker and Mitchell who exposed themselves to getting pinged with absolutely nothing to gain. They could have run in and pulled players away but they went for the head. In charity shield and round 1 Cody showed a tendency to lose it at times. Latrell can do the same. They are going to be our stars this year but we have to rely on them being smarter.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
My issue is Walker and Mitchell who exposed themselves to getting pinged with absolutely nothing to gain. They could have run in and pulled players away but they went for the head. In charity shield and round 1 Cody showed a tendency to lose it at times. Latrell can do the same. They are going to be our stars this year but we have to rely on them being smarter.
So you want Benett to show Walker and Latrell some time in reserve grade... because they got involved in some minor niggle? Wow...

assess5

Juniors
So you want Benett to show Walker and Latrell some time in reserve grade... because they got involved in some minor niggle? Wow...
Argue all you like, Sua will get two weeks.

Bennett might be happy but Bennett is also the guy who insists on playing that dopey Jaxon Paulo.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Argue all you like, Sua will get two weeks.

Bennett might be happy but Bennett is also the guy who insists on playing that dopey Jaxon Paulo.

I doubt Sua gets suspended.

But even if he did, a 2nd rower getting suspended for being agressive now and then Is always a lot better than a 2nd rower who's not agressive.

It's rugby league, it's physical and emotional and every team needs grubby players. Cam murray is by far my favourite player, I absolutely love the way he plays but If all your forwards played with cam Murray's attitude and temperament we wouldn't get far. The way attitude Murray plays with only works with his freakish talents. For bigger middles and especially 2nd rowers, they need to be agressive and get involved in the niggle or this comp will chew them up and spit them out.

Rabbit57

Juniors
If it’s a minor altercation push and shove all you like but don’t go for the head of an opponent because you could’ve letting your mates down when it matters.
It’s a lesson they have to learn. If Wayne can teach them that with a love letter that will do me. If he has to have a fatherly talk to get the message through that is fine too. But I sense that there is a bit of a lack of self control from time to time that might need strong action early in the season.

stryker

First Grade
If you are relying on those two guys to act smart you’re in for a world of pain. They will win you many games this year but they require baby sitters to protect the side from their hot heads if you are to win the comp.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
If you are relying on those two guys to act smart you’re in for a world of pain. They will win you many games this year but they require baby sitters to protect the side from their hot heads if you are to win the comp.

I think our completion rate and injuries is whats going to determine if we win the comp not whether or not Walker and Mitchell get fired up. Its easy to sit on the sidelines and judge the players but you could tell there was a lot of emotion in that game. Its not like DCE, the manly captain, was any better tonight. Diving and pushing other players when he didn't get his way.

The players all shook hands and spoke to eachother after the game. Its a game of rugby league players and these guys are bound to let the emotion get the better of them sometimes.

Its poor reflection on our culture that people sit back and say "aww that guys a grub because he's standing up for his mate".

stryker

First Grade
I think our completion rate and injuries is whats going to determine if we win the comp not whether or not Walker and Mitchell get fired up. Its easy to sit on the sidelines and judge the players but you could tell there was a lot of emotion in that game. Its not like DCE, the manly captain, was any better tonight. Diving and pushing other players when he didn't get his way.

The players all shook hands and spoke to eachother after the game. Its a game of rugby league players and these guys are bound to let the emotion get the better of them sometimes.

Its poor reflection on our culture that people sit back and say "aww that guys a grub because he's standing up for his mate".
I didn’t say they were grubs, I’m saying they are f**ken morons and if the club doesn’t get them under control, another year will get away from you.

callmack1

Staff member
Yewwwwww!!! There it is, there's our first win of 2021!! How good does that feel?! Could've been prettier but a win is a win. In absolutely terrible conditions, not to mention playing at one of the worst grounds in the NRL, many of us said tonight would just be a case of collecting the two points in any way possible and getting the hell out of there. Well, that's exactly what the boys did! Yes, it was ugly and some people might bag us but I think we should all be pretty proud of our efforts. It was a really gutsy, gritty win. We had a lot going against us. The weather for a start and then some really bad reffing. Yet, we dug it in, hung in there and came out convincing winners in the end.

We looked pretty good in that first half and dominated much of the first 40 I feel. There was a few chances, just lacked the execution to finish it off in the wet which was disappointing. There were still errors of course but when you take into account the weather, I was happy with the first half completion rate there. Our defence looked alright too apart from the soft try to Croker. Beside that, they didn't look like breaching our line.

The opening half of the second 40 didn't go so well. We lost Reyno early and started to make a hell of a lot of errors. This is where the weather really evened the contest as manly started to drag us down to their level. More errors invited them back into the game and I was concerned that the game was starting to slip away. But to the boys credit, led by Benji, they sparked themselves into action, help the ball more, built a but of pressure and struck. Once we stopped beating ourselves the game was never in doubt.

So yea, it wasn't a great game to watch, pretty frustrating for much of it. Because of that, a lot of people will say we played poorly when I don't think that's the case at all. Now, I'm not saying we played well, it was ugly, but we managed to get a win when so much was against us. Terrible weather at a terrible ground, a referee against us, a home crowd against us, lots of errors, missed opportunities, our star sin-binned, and our halfback missing for half a game. Yet, we still ran out convincing winners! That's pretty bloody good if you ask me and a sign of a decent Footy side.

Gritty, gutsy win!!!