What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 - Sea Eagles vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 20th March 5:30pm @Lottoland

callmack1

Staff member
Right, time to shift focus, dump that Storm game and move on to another cracker this Saturday evening against Manly. The Sea Eagles have obviously been around for a long time now and as a result, have become one of the five or six clubs we have a big, traditional rivalry with. There's been a lot of cracking games against them over the years, a lot of moments that have lead to this great rivalry and for me, it's one of those personal ones. I deeply dislike Manly as I'm sure many Souths members and fans do, and I'm sure they feel the same about us. You've always got to lift a bit playing them as they seem to always lift for us.

I'm sure that will be no different come Saturday evening. After what happened to them in Round 1 against the Roosters, Manly are in for a big week. They're coming up against another strong side in us but they'll be desperate to turn around that thrashing and show that it meant nothing. Sometimes, a team getting hammered the week before can be dangerous for the team playing them the next weekend and I expect that to be the case this weekend. I've had them as a darkhorse for the top 4 in the Pre-Season as I believe they have a quality roster. A good mix of experienced players and representitive superstars as well as some young guys who are stars of the future. It'll take a big effort to get past them, especially since they're playing in front of a home crowd for the first time this year.

For us, we also need to bounce back. Maybe not as big of a bounce back as Manly but we're coming off a loss too and we don't want to open the Season with two losses so this is a game we have to win. I'm confident we can do so but we have to get more right than we did last week. Obviously, our start needs to be better, especially because manly will come out hard, and our ball control is the big one. Completing sets should be a big focus this week. I'm hoping our middles will bounce back and stick it to a big Manly pack which should allow Reyno and Cody to have better games off the back of that. Not sure if Tom will play, hopefully he will and the long turnaround will help him but if not, we have Knighty there.

So yup, Round 2 and another big week for us. As I said, we need to win this one. Let's get into it!!

NovoBunny94

Juniors
I believe they will bounce back bigger than last week and fix those edges that leaked all those tries. The roosters as much as I hate to say it are a quality side. We will have to lift pretty much everything for this game.. intensity, ball handling, defence.. attacking structures... I really want to see the attitude of the boys change. Hopefully do a Melbourne and start fast.. that would be good

callmack1

Staff member
I'm not expecting any changes to the Line Up this week. Yes, Tom, Junior and Jaydn had really poor games for us last week but they've been fantastic for us over the past few years and more recently in the Charity Shield so they don't deserve to be dropped after one poor game. Of course, if it happens again this Saturday then maybe Wayne should think about dropping them but They'll know how poorly they played and will want to make up for it so I don't expect them to be that bad again.

Based on the way the bench all played last Thursday, I'd find it very hard to drop one of them for Knight (who returns this week) unless there was a late injury or Tom wasn't fit to go.

Looking forward to tomorrow's team announement!!

Travitoh

First Grade
I'm not expecting any changes to the Line Up this week. Yes, Tom, Junior and Jaydn had really poor games for us last week but they've been fantastic for us over the past few years and more recently in the Charity Shield so they don't deserve to be dropped after one poor game. Of course, if it happens again this Saturday then maybe Wayne should think about dropping them but They'll know how poorly they played and will want to make up for it so I don't expect them to be that bad again.

Based on the way the bench all played last Thursday, I'd find it very hard to drop one of them for Knight (who returns this week) unless there was a late injury or Tom wasn't fit to go.

Looking forward to tomorrow's team announement!!

Agree. Unchanged unless someone is unavailable.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Hope Arrow plays more minutes. He was great. Exciting matchup this one with the Birdies wings against the wall and Souths needing a decent game to hit our straps and prove that we are the real deal

handyman2190

Bench
I think Nicholls might drop to 18th man with Knight coming into the 17.
Honestly? Knight would be better of playing reserves this week, like sua who was underdone and lathargic knight would benefit from a run in 2nds. If thomas is rested then nichols who has proven to be an honest toiler giving his best should start. It probably wont happen but this is what i feel should happen.
This hype weve been subjected to before the season started hasnt been beneficial to us and left other teams in peace ready to ambush.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Listening to Sauce he said Tom has a pretty sore and stiff neck, I don’t think he will play this week. The rehab team was working with Tom yesterday.

callmack1

Staff member
Bennett dumps star Rabbitohs recruit: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/be...-consider-whiz-kid-debut-20210316-p57b5r.html

Not sure how to feel about this, I would have given him another chance this week. He is a star player and will most likely be back in the side later in the Season so we might as well get him used to right wing and the combinations as soon as possible. I don't rate Paulo ahead of him.

Arrow smashes through VB Hard Earned baseline: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/16/arrow-smashes-through-vb-hard-earned-baseline/

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Imo if we are to beat any of the top 3 teams this year we need to offload more and learn to play off the back of that. Several times we could have offloaded in the storm game but we didn’t we just held onto the ball.
We could be super dangerous if we learnt to offload more

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Team List for Round 2: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/03/16/rabbitohs-team-list-for-round-2/

After having a bit of time to think about it, I'm pretty happy with the line up for this week. I was in shock when I first read about Mansour and didn't know how to feel about it because I thought there'd be no changes. However, I now agree that at this time, it's probably the right call as is dropping Host. They were both very poor in Round 1, Tom and Junior have probably been saved from being dropped as they have proved themselves in the past at our club, Mansour and Host do not have that luxury so have been dropped as a result. I actually like this stance as it shows the playing group that no matter how high profile you are, not one's spot is 100% safe. We're in contention for a Premiership this year and poor performances will not be tolerated. That's a ruthless, but fantastic mentality. It's now up to Sauce and Jacob to respond in a positive manner, work hard and earn their spot back in the seventeen. They are both capable of doing so.

Hopefully Paulo can stand up and show why Wayne has put faith in him. Stoked to see Keaon in the starting side, no doubt after last week that he deserves it and Mago onto the bench is a bit of a surprise but I won't argue there as Knight probably needs at least a week in NSW Cup.

So yea, minor shake ups but I'm happy with it because they are warranted. If you want to demand excellence and win a comp, these are the kind of calls you need to make. Hopefully the boys respond well.

Latest posts