What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Souths. Posts by @iamback are all opinion based

Kilkenny

Coach
I can’t say I’ve watched every game this past couple of weeks, but watching our own games I watch and wonder how often Dylan can be in one corner involved in a tackle and somehow or another in the next play somehow turn up and be involved in another tackle on the opposite side if the field. I’m not sure in my 50 years of watching the game I’ve ever seen a fullback who can do this so consistently. His fitness, work ethic, commitment, I’ve never seen anyone equal to Dylan. He is not naturally gifted, not overly quick, not possessing a brilliant attacking (passing) game, but just for overall what he brings to the team I haven’t seen nothing like him. I still think he has some way to go to match Rhys Wesser who at his his best was truly a freak be has moved into 2nd position on the overall list of our best ever fullbacks and closing in.

WestyLife

First Grade
I can’t say I’ve watched every game this past couple of weeks, but watching our own games I watch and wonder how often Dylan can be in one corner involved in a tackle and somehow or another in the next play somehow turn up and be involved in another tackle on the opposite side if the field. I’m not sure in my 50 years of watching the game I’ve ever seen a fullback who can do this so consistently. His fitness, work ethic, commitment, I’ve never seen anyone equal to Dylan. He is not naturally gifted, not overly quick, not possessing a brilliant attacking (passing) game, but just for overall what he brings to the team I haven’t seen nothing like him. I still think he has some way to go to match Rhys Wesser who at his his best was truly a freak be has moved into 2nd position on the overall list of our best ever fullbacks and closing in.

He'll be known as our best ever fullback after we go B2B.

Kilkenny

Coach
He'll be known as our best ever fullback after we go B2B.
Rhys scored almost a 100 tries in his years with us.

They are entirely different style players.

Recency bias means Dylan is in the hearts and minds currently but I’ve never ever seen a player who could bring the crowd to there feet than Rhys. Other than Brandy.

Comparisons mean nothing anyway, both fine players in different eras.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think Dylan sets and orgainses the defensive line far better than Wesser did.

Yep Wesser looked flashier. But I think Edwards has greater longevity in the game.
It’s like comparing apples to oranges. Very different style of player.

Rhys could do things in attack, just picking the ball up at dummy half and taking off, with that amazing turn of foot. Accelerate thru the line and gone, he really was @ freak at his best, how soon we forget. Not dissimilar to the conversation around Viliame Kikau in some respects. Viliame is a fine player has been critical to our recent success but in my opinion he will never quite be the player Tony Pulutea was or Frank Pritchard at his best. Trent Waterhouse was a better player in my opinion even if recency bias would suggest otherwise. I read some posts not to far back talking down Trent which I found rather astonishing, he was an outstanding player for us and it is disappointing some now seem to suggest otherwise. Kikau great player, instrumental in our recent success, but not close to Tony P, Frank P or or Trent Waterhouse in my opinion. All three were better players.

WestyLife

First Grade
Rhys scored almost a 100 tries in his years with us.

They are entirely different style players.

Recency bias means Dylan is in the hearts and minds currently but I’ve never ever seen a player who could bring the crowd to there feet than Rhys. Other than Brandy.

Comparisons mean nothing anyway, both fine players in different eras.

Never saw Wesser win us an un-winnable game though.

Kilkenny

Coach
That’s not true mate, Rhys won us games single handedly on more than one occasion.

The guy was a freak, he scored over a 100 tries for us in a side that was only good for basically two seasons.

We really weren’t that good for the majority of his time with us, despite which he became our record try scorer.

I was there, week in week out, home and away, a lot of pain other than 2003 and 2004 but Rhys was a standout.

Please don’t let recency bias talk down a true Panther legend which he was over a very long time.

BxTom

Bench
So what 'unwinnable' games have we won? If we won such games then surely they were winnable in the first place? And yes, he certainly did win us games. For a year to eighteen months he was an absolute try scoring freak. Different type of player to Dyl though. They both shine immensely in or history

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I'm not using recency bias regarding Edwards. The game has changed a lot in recent years. Wesser looked flashier than Edwards does.

We are very lucky to have seen 2 wonderful fullbacks who helped give our club the premiership.

Both wonderful players.

Last edited:

Girds89

Bench
All those guys you mentioned have been introduced to NRL slowly.

The reason for that is no one will come and dominate.

Attacking stats matter when it is a 9 you are bringing in
Sualii has not been brought on slowly lol..he was injured last year..fit this year and has played every time available.

Correct me if im wrong but i think cobbo played 2 or so lsdt year and every game and origin this year.

Tago played what... 100mins of nrl last year than has played every game this year.

Taylan come uo to grafe and hasnt gone back....

I undertand your point about kenny and luke... i really do..your right.

But your way off the mark when it comes to rookie backs.

As shown by the guys mentioned above

Your getting all rookies confused.

Coming in and playing 6, 7 or 9 is much different to coming in ans playing wing or centre.

Yeah luke and kenny probs need more than 50 games experience to get remotley close to what api does.

Tago and may have shown in half a seasom they can perform at a top nrl level weekly

That’s not true mate, Rhys won us games single handedly on more than one occasion.

The guy was a freak, he scored over a 100 tries for us in a side that was only good for basically two seasons.

We really weren’t that good for the majority of his time with us, despite which he became our record try scorer.

I was there, week in week out, home and away, a lot of pain other than 2003 and 2004 but Rhys was a standout.

Please don’t let recency bias talk down a true Panther legend which he was over a very long time.
Weser’s defence was also underestimated as well.

When we won our first game against the Roosters in Round 3 of 2003, he pulled off some amazing “last line of defence” tackles that went a long way to getting that season underway.

He had a similar game in 2005 against Melbourne at home. Can’t remember who the Storm player was but he was absolutely dead certain to score but Wesser’s tackling technique prevented that from happening. It was a rare year where we beat the Storm in both regular season games as well.

I agree with the overall thought that both Wesser and Dyl are two different styles of fullback, but equally as effective.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
And last year when Tamou and Mansour left..apparently we were to struggle without there experience..

That is my point. It appears each and every year when players some of this platform begin the story of Henny Penny and the sky is falling.......

Same when Burton, Capewell and Mom left.

Even last week when Kenny replaced Api in the starting line up. (Api went back to the bench) It was predicted that all was doom and gloom.

It turned out to be a great strategy.

Shock horror. Ivan and his staffs actually what they're doing.

As I've said earlier, I'm noy into stats. As I believe that stats can be twisted into anything you want them to be. Very subjective.

soc123_au

Staff member
That is my point. It appears each and every year when players some of this platform begin the story of Henny Penny and the sky is falling.......

Same when Burton, Capewell and Mom left.

Even last week when Kenny replaced Api in the starting line up. (Api went back to the bench) It was predicted that all was doom and gloom.

It turned out to be a great strategy.

Shock horror. Ivan and his staffs actually what they're doing.

As I've said earlier, I'm noy into stats. As I believe that stats can be twisted into anything you want them to be. Very subjective.
I'll take things that didn't happen for $10.00 thanks. It was common to state that Burto and Capewell would be missed, but I don't recall anyone saying that we were doomed off the back of it. The closest being that we may regret it in a few years when he surpasses Luai. On Momorovski, I think the consensus more along the lines of who would be the lucky one to drive him to Bondi.

Big difference between being sad someone is going to thinking the sky is falling. Being critical of the club is also not predicting impending doom, it's giving an opinion. I understand that you find it annoying, but so is the sky is falling line with every other post that isn't cheerleading.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I'll take things that didn't happen for $10.00 thanks. It was common to state that Burto and Capewell would be missed, but I don't recall anyone saying that we were doomed off the back of it. The closest being that we may regret it in a few years when he surpasses Luai. On Momorovski, I think the consensus more along the lines of who would be the lucky one to drive him to Bondi.

Big difference between being sad someone is going to thinking the sky is falling. Being critical of the club is also not predicting impending doom, it's giving an opinion. I understand that you find it annoying, but so is the sky is falling line with every other post that isn't cheerleading.

There is a huge difference between being critical of the club (and players), and finding fault seemingly at every level.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

I still say if we go into a final with Jennings at centre, we lose

Momo and Naden was for depth loses only both are better than Jennings.

As for the doom, Is there a single person who thinks we will miss the 8 next year?

Looking behind us on the ladder shows how close the comp is, Only takes a few more loses and we are in that 4th-8th dog fight we are seeing now

That isn't even allowing for improvement from teams further back

snickers007

Juniors
There is a huge difference between being critical of the club (and players), and finding fault seemingly at every level.

I like to think that this forum represents the entire spectrum. From the DOOMED crowd to the blind faith, and everything in between.

I'm actually very optimistic about the future, but still think we could have done things better.
Api will be a big loss, but I still think that a Kenny/Luke combo will do a job. A different job to be sure, but I still see us being Top 3-4 next season.

I'll admit I didn't see Tago being able to fill the Left Centre spot, especially after our disastrous trial against the Eels. And while I think his attacking potency has dampened in the back half of the season I out that down to other teams having more footage to study. His defence and discipline has improved out of sight.

I really wish we could have kept Hopgood. Any other year, at any other club and he's playing 15-20 games a season. But we just haven't had injuries in his position, and he signed with the Eels early which put the big black mark against his name for the Origin period.

Iamback

Coach
I like to think that this forum represents the entire spectrum. From the DOOMED crowd to the blind faith, and everything in between.

I'm actually very optimistic about the future, but still think we could have done things better.
Api will be a big loss, but I still think that a Kenny/Luke combo will do a job. A different job to be sure, but I still see us being Top 3-4 next season.

I'll admit I didn't see Tago being able to fill the Left Centre spot, especially after our disastrous trial against the Eels. And while I think his attacking potency has dampened in the back half of the season I out that down to other teams having more footage to study. His defence and discipline has improved out of sight.

I really wish we could have kept Hopgood. Any other year, at any other club and he's playing 15-20 games a season. But we just haven't had injuries in his position, and he signed with the Eels early which put the big black mark against his name for the Origin period.

I have us 5 or 6 next year, Purely because our injury luck will change at some stage, Before the year the only position unknown was whether Tago would be on the bench or centre.

So from the top 17

Edwards ( missed 1 game with injury )
Taylan/Staines ( missed 1 game)
Tago ( played every game)
Crichton ( missed 1 game)
To'o missed a stack
Luai ( Missed 3 games )
Cleary ( Missed a stack)
Leota ( Missed 8 games)
Api ( Missed 0 games through injury)
JFH ( missed 1 game injured, Suspended now)
Kiks ( missed 1 game)
Martin ( missed 1 game injured)
Yeo ( missed 1 game)

Salmon ( Played every game)
Sorensen ( missed 2 games)
Spencer ( dropped 1 game)
Kenny ( dropped a couple of games, Injured one)

So we have pretty much a fit top 17 all season

Sure we lost guys during Origin and resting guys now, Generally though we have had a dream run with injury with has helped cover the losses

maple_69

Bench
We're no lock on the premiership this year, not by a long shot, but we are streets ahead of every other teams, all things being equal. We will be a contender next year, and I'd say we'll be top 4. Souths, Sharks, Brisbane & Cows aren't guaranteed to continue improving, few sides progress in a straight line. We stalled at Week 2 for 3 years then shat the bed in 2019 before breaking through. Melbourne & Parra have equal/worse losses than we do. The Chooks should be favourites, but we're not suddenly going to be worse than all of those sides mentioned because our dummy half isn't as crafty and Nath/Yeo have less space.

Iamback

Coach
We're no lock on the premiership this year, not by a long shot, but we are streets ahead of every other teams, all things being equal. We will be a contender next year, and I'd say we'll be top 4. Souths, Sharks, Brisbane & Cows aren't guaranteed to continue improving, few sides progress in a straight line. We stalled at Week 2 for 3 years then shat the bed in 2019 before breaking through. Melbourne & Parra have equal/worse losses than we do. The Chooks should be favourites, but we're not suddenly going to be worse than all of those sides mentioned because our dummy half isn't as crafty and Nath/Yeo have less space.

Need to lock in the cap, To see full squads but depth looks an issue for us.

Parra certainly look worse
Storm see above Katoa in their system will be amazing
Manly have Tom Turbo and a couple of handy signings.
Some people have Dogs better - I don't
Brisbane too with Walsh.

So it only takes injuries at the wrong time to put us back with the pleb teams