What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Souths. Posts by @iamback are all opinion based

Iamback

Coach
Read my post. Didnt say you were putting tago down.. i was alluding to the fact that the WHOLE team drops off over the period you talk about.

You are using a bloke who has gone from stremgth to strength all year as an exsmple which doesnt make sense.

Regardless to the stats hes games far better now than it was in the first half of the season.

Using stats to tey say hes dropped off when the whole team does during that period is silly lol

Maybe read the full conversation before jumping in

Covering Burton was mentioned as why we could cover Api, I was merely pointing out using real example as to how hard a full season is on rookies.

SOS has the same throughout a game but he wasn't relevant to the discussion because it was about a rookie replacing Burton

WestyLife

First Grade
Oh great and wise one.

I didn't ask a 'stupid' question as you put it..........

I gave my opinion.

Which apparently unless it goes with what some of the 'Eddie the Expert Lounge chair coaches' believe it's considered worthles.

The issue comes up because you tell people they're wrong then instead of engaging with the following discussion you state it's your opinion and refuse to continue further.

Girds way is much better. Aside the period of time with all the insults he gives some good analysis to back up his disagreement and doesn't shut down discussion but engages with it.

Hooe that helps.

Black Diamond

Juniors
A very reasoned analysis. There is always an unknown element in this. Could Jenkins, Turuva or any other junior, make a big leap in performance? To’o and Crichton hit first grade and just improved to almost rep level immediately. Could another off season turn Leniu into the beast he shows glimpses of now. How good could Garner and Hosking be with our strength and conditioning programme, which must surely be one of the best in the NRL (based on the fitness levels our players show)?

The unknown element at least makes next season interesting.
What about that young Flegg hooker Riley Smith that was being talked up a while back apperently had to make a choice between cricket and league? How's he going?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The issue comes up because you tell people they're wrong then instead of engaging with the following discussion you state it's your opinion and refuse to continue further.

Girds way is much better. Aside the period of time with all the insults he gives some good analysis to back up his disagreement and doesn't shut down discussion but engages with it.

Hooe that helps.

I refuse to engage with minorature facts about rugby league. It's not me. If this bothers you I am indeed sorry.

I will not troll through pages and pages of the internet for meaningless stats that illustrate my point. Or for that matter snippets of articles.

I give my opinion. You as the reader can either agree with it, or disagree with it.

Telling others how to write or speak or in fact how to design their opinion, reeks of pomposity.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

Hooe that helps.

That is it.

I don't know all
No one on here does but me putting stats with opinion allows for conversation

Girds89

Bench
Maybe read the full conversation before jumping in

Covering Burton was mentioned as why we could cover Api, I was merely pointing out using real example as to how hard a full season is on rookies.

SOS has the same throughout a game but he wasn't relevant to the discussion because it was about a rookie replacing Burton
Burton was a rookie too though basically.. never had played centre..

Tagos been one of many shining lights this year.

Hes passed critta imo already.

Using the stats u did for tago saying rookies or he has dropped off because a season is long and hard on a rookie ismt right.

As i said, the whole team dropped off consistently round the origin period the last 3 years.

Its not even a drop off, i dont think players are performing worse... weve just been missing a shitload or star quality.

Of course players stats will go down when some of the best players in the game are out for us. Its just common sense.

Trying to say that our rookies are struggling because its a long season just hasnt been the caee

Iamback

Coach
Burton was a rookie too though basically.. never had played centre..

Tagos been one of many shining lights this year.

Hes passed critta imo already.

Using the stats u did for tago saying rookies or he has dropped off because a season is long and hard on a rookie ismt right.

As i said, the whole team dropped off consistently round the origin period the last 3 years.

Its not even a drop off, i dont think players are performing worse... weve just been missing a shitload or star quality.

Of course players stats will go down when some of the best players in the game are out for us. Its just common sense.

Trying to say that our rookies are struggling because its a long season just hasnt been the caee

A few on here, yourself included feel Burton had an ordinary end to last year. Rookies do that

Not everyone has fallen away, Those that have do have reasons

Edwards hasn't
Api hasn't
Yeo hasn't
Sorensen hasn't
To'o has been injured
Martin playing a new role
Kikau has but consistency has never been a strength of his
Spencer is a still learning to position
Leota has been injured
Crichton is finally getting an extended run in a position
The halves have been in and out of the side for a while

Everyone does the basics well, very few have shockers. Just not all carve up, it is often a different group of players each game as the standouts

None of this is bagging a player, Just reality and why they say it takes 50 games to be a real NRL player.

Also is why the average NRL career is only 30 games, if it was easy then more players would have longer careers

Girds89

Bench
A few on here, yourself included feel Burton had an ordinary end to last year. Rookies do that

Not everyone has fallen away, Those that have do have reasons

Edwards hasn't
Api hasn't
Yeo hasn't
Sorensen hasn't
To'o has been injured
Martin playing a new role
Kikau has but consistency has never been a strength of his
Spencer is a still learning to position
Leota has been injured
Crichton is finally getting an extended run in a position
The halves have been in and out of the side for a while

Everyone does the basics well, very few have shockers. Just not all carve up, it is often a different group of players each game as the standouts

None of this is bagging a player, Just reality and why they say it takes 50 games to be a real NRL player.

Also is why the average NRL career is only 30 games, if it was easy then more players would have longer careers
I think burtons run fell in line with nath getting injured and ua massivley struggling injuries wise.

I certainly dont think tago has fallen away at all.

If anything i think hes improving ever week and hes game has stronlgy developed since the start of the year.

As i said, no more dropped balls. Rock solid in defence, getting highly involved.

Trying to use attacking stats like line breaks and lba or trys to say a rookie has dropped off is crazy.

In reality our whole team struggles post origin and has done the last few years. Its a mix of fatigue injuries and missing players through origin.

Its a well known thing in the nrl how well the good teams deal with origin and post origin.

Our attacking numbers might be down for some players but given the outs is definitley to be expected.

Suali is a rookie... hes killing it at the back end of the year.

Not all rookies drop off. And the 50 or 30 game rule i dont really think appllies to all rookies.

Pretty clear suali,cobbo, tago, may etc etc all pending injury have long careers ahead of them.

Cobbos already played origin... suali will play for aus in wc. Some rookies and players dont need the 30 to 50 games experience to understand the nrl level..the freaks just get it and come in and adapt to the level.

You get players like spencer who id say is a bloke who the 50 game rule applies to. Players that have ability but cleary takes them a while to find his feet..

Yes burto dropped off last year but that was probably as much to do with the whole team struggling injury wise post origin. Hes numbers may have bern slightly down but hard to blame him when the whole teams numbers were down.

In reality the blokes that actually have had a drop in form for us are too...hes said so himself.
I think crittas out of sorts atm, coukd be a loss of confidence since origin
Marto prior to the weekend was well off...

Everyone else has been fine and just experienced our normal post origin drop off with players out.

Yea kiks numbers are down but its to be expected... do you expect him to have the same or more trys, line breaks or line break assists with sos and salmon in the halves ....

Iamback

Coach
I think burtons run fell in line with nath getting injured and ua massivley struggling injuries wise.

I certainly dont think tago has fallen away at all.

If anything i think hes improving ever week and hes game has stronlgy developed since the start of the year.

As i said, no more dropped balls. Rock solid in defence, getting highly involved.

Trying to use attacking stats like line breaks and lba or trys to say a rookie has dropped off is crazy.

In reality our whole team struggles post origin and has done the last few years. Its a mix of fatigue injuries and missing players through origin.

Its a well known thing in the nrl how well the good teams deal with origin and post origin.

Our attacking numbers might be down for some players but given the outs is definitley to be expected.

Suali is a rookie... hes killing it at the back end of the year.

Not all rookies drop off. And the 50 or 30 game rule i dont really think appllies to all rookies.

Pretty clear suali,cobbo, tago, may etc etc all pending injury have long careers ahead of them.

Cobbos already played origin... suali will play for aus in wc. Some rookies and players dont need the 30 to 50 games experience to understand the nrl level..the freaks just get it and come in and adapt to the level.

You get players like spencer who id say is a bloke who the 50 game rule applies to. Players that have ability but cleary takes them a while to find his feet..

Yes burto dropped off last year but that was probably as much to do with the whole team struggling injury wise post origin. Hes numbers may have bern slightly down but hard to blame him when the whole teams numbers were down.

In reality the blokes that actually have had a drop in form for us are too...hes said so himself.
I think crittas out of sorts atm, coukd be a loss of confidence since origin
Marto prior to the weekend was well off...

Everyone else has been fine and just experienced our normal post origin drop off with players out.

Yea kiks numbers are down but its to be expected... do you expect him to have the same or more trys, line breaks or line break assists with sos and salmon in the halves ....

All those guys you mentioned have been introduced to NRL slowly.

The reason for that is no one will come and dominate.

Attacking stats matter when it is a 9 you are bringing in

Kilkenny

Coach
Given the other games on show this week our game was the only one of real quality.

I thought it was a really good contest, two quality sides slugging it out, could have gone either way.

Have to feel a bit for the young South’s winger he had a shocker, his drop from our kick late on was rather unforgivable.

Given the other games on show this week our game was the only one of real quality.

I thought it was a really good contest, two quality sides slugging it out, could have gone either way.

Have to feel a bit for the young South’s winger he had a shocker, his drop from our kick late on was rather unforgivable.
I don’t think he is the only winger who would have dropped that; he had to go back for it.

Am I also being too critical of Latrell that he could have made it his?

Kilkenny

Coach
I don’t think he is the only winger who would have dropped that; he had to go back for it.

Am I also being too critical of Latrell that he could have made it his?
Trell was Latrell. Very underwhelming. He is an enigma.

Our home game against the Bunnies ‘Trell’ as he is affectionately known by his fans was anonymous.

He was equally anonymous in this most recent game while our own under rated and under paid fullback just does what he does.

The commentary around Latrell is rather sickening, he gets talked up regardless of what he does or more importantly what he doesn’t do.

Latrell or ‘Trell’ as he is referred to by his fan boys is really a centre but can’t play him there given the money he is on.

Dylan is never going to be talked about in the same conversation around ‘Trell’ but he should be because he is a better player. Just consistently, week-in week out , just a better player.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Trell was Latrell. Very underwhelming. He is an enigma.

Our home game against the Bunnies ‘Trell’ as he is affectionately known by his fans was anonymous.

He was equally anonymous in this most recent game while our own under rated and under paid fullback just does what he does.

The commentary around Latrell is rather sickening, he gets talked up regardless of what he does or more importantly what he doesn’t do.

Latrell or ‘Trell’ as he is referred to by his fan boys is really a centre but can’t play him there given the money he is on.

Dylan is never going to be talked about in the same conversation around ‘Trell’ but he should be because he is a better player. Just consistently, week-in week out , just a better player.
He's a better fullback for sure. Origin centre Latrell is a freak tho

Latest posts