What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Warriors

franklin2323

Immortal
But the season isn't gone yet. It should be and we don't deserve to make the 8 but we still can

I have seen nothing this year to say we can compete with top teams. Let alone beat Manly & Bulldogs then looking at other teams runs home still might not be enough. Still to be close 3 weeks out I will take.

franklin2323

Immortal
If quantity is the only measure.

Masoe & Manu aside we have basic forwards can't offload, run good lines or break the line. Hopefully Peachey & Taylor help fix that. It's why we need VTK etc in ASAP.

Docker & Plum hit hard in defence granted so yes metres are the measure.

Grant given he's SOO quality or was 150m & 50 odd mins is minimum for him.

Today was his best game since Melbourne lets hope it becomes the norm rarher then exemption.

meek

Juniors
Well done Panthers
Mansour Great , Johns , Well the whole mob played well
Great to see that perplexed look on that tool Elliots face during the broadcast
worth watching the game just for that moment

betcats

Referee
Masoe & Manu aside we have basic forwards can't offload, run good lines or break the line. Hopefully Peachey & Taylor help fix that. It's why we need VTK etc in ASAP.

Docker & Plum hit hard in defence granted so yes metres are the measure.

Grant given he's SOO quality or was 150m & 50 odd mins is minimum for him.

Today was his best game since Melbourne lets hope it becomes the norm rarher then exemption.

Matty Robinsons hole running has been missed since he has been out, he probably runs the best lines out of all of our backrowers. Shame he probably wont start next year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Matty Robinsons hole running has been missed since he has been out, he probably runs the best lines out of all of our backrowers. Shame he probably wont start next year.

Yeah. He might imo it's between him and Docker. Docker has no skills with ball in hand whatsoever so given we will start with Brown/Manu/ Taylor backrow. we probably need the hole running more then defence off the bench.

age.s

First Grade
Fair enough us jaded fans saying the season is over, but anyone within the team saying the season is over should be getting a smack across the head. I wouldn't want the team thinking an away game against Manly is impossible for example. These guys need to think they can beat any team, anywhere.

Pomoz

Bench
He seems to play off Sam and benching him was also a good kick in the pants imo
I have been on Grant's case this year too. He has been really average at times. I had a look at his stats and this year he averages 132m a game and 30 tackles. On the error front, he misses 0.8 tackles a game and makes 0.26 errors per game. On reflection he has been solid, rather than spectacular. I don't have Franklin's concerns about offloads (1 offload every 3 games) because other players can offer that, if Tim does the hard yards and delivers the metres. For example, Sam offloads much more (1 a game on average), but misses more tackles and does less tackles. Its all about balance. Tim=field position.

That said, I think Tim is capable of more and he has to improve if he wants to be a SOO player next year.

Juju

Juniors
Congrats to your boys. whopped the Warriors three times this year.
Yesterday hurt - all on the line for both teams and your lot stood up!

Pomoz

Bench
For those of you bagging Coote, you need to step back and think about his contribution to the Panthers over the last few years, not just on one game. All of those saying his positioning is hopeless might be right yesterday, but as a general rule, his positioning is excellent. I have seen nothing from Moylan to suggest he has superior positioning to Coote. Furthermore, Coote has delivered for a number of seasons not just a handful of games. Moylan may well turn out to be a better player, but he has a way to go yet. Perhaps you have forgot the Coote who consistently defused bombs and grubber kicks, because his timing and positioning was excellent. Or the Coote who made a number of last ditch tackles against bigger opponents (Willie Mason, take a bow) even though I have shoes that weigh more than him. If only Ciraldo had the heart of Coote, with his physique he would be a killer.

Coote deserves respect for his contribution to the Panthers, not ridicule especially considering that he is coming back from a long term injury and this was his first game starting in the team.

mxlegend99

Referee
For those of you bagging Coote, you need to step back and think about his contribution to the Panthers over the last few years, not just on one game. All of those saying his positioning is hopeless might be right yesterday, but as a general rule, his positioning is excellent. I have seen nothing from Moylan to suggest he has superior positioning to Coote. Furthermore, Coote has delivered for a number of seasons not just a handful of games. Moylan may well turn out to be a better player, but he has a way to go yet. Perhaps you have forgot the Coote who consistently defused bombs and grubber kicks, because his timing and positioning was excellent. Or the Coote who made a number of last ditch tackles against bigger opponents (Willie Mason, take a bow) even though I have shoes that weigh more than him. If only Ciraldo had the heart of Coote, with his physique he would be a killer.

Coote deserves respect for his contribution to the Panthers, not ridicule especially considering that he is coming back from a long term injury and this was his first game starting in the team.
I remember that Lachan Coote... but he last played for us in 2010. Then he got injured and hasn't been close to the same player. His once flawless hands, quiet often have shockers like he did yesterday where he drops the ball with little or no pressure at all. His once great positioning, is now non-existant... although that could possibly be due to training to play in the halves. It doesn't matter either way, as he is too slow and weak for a fullback IMO. That said I think Moylan shares those same weaknesses to be a longterm fullback.

Moylan is a great short term fullback and the best at the club right now. But next season I think he needs to move to the halves (competing with John and Coote for a spot) and allow a player like Kevin Naiqama or James Roberts to play fullback. Blokes with some genuine pace and ball running ability... and eventually for those blokes to move aside for DWZ.

I don't really care who partners Soward, so long as they're playing the best footy when they do. If Moylan is still at fullback to start next season, I won't be upset. But I think if we could get Kevin Naiqama or James Roberts to fire up, they would be our best options. Probably prefer it was Kevin Naiqama, as James Roberts has hands like feet. But that is something he can work on improving.

If Coote can get back to full fitness and have a great off-season, I wouldn't mind if he partnered Soward. Then have Matt Moylan on the bench as our utility. Have him throw on a bit of muscle for added defence, and have him training in all the spine positions. Right now the only one he might struggle with is hooker, but I could see him being an awesome utility. We know he is a good fullback, we know he has the skillset for the halves. He has pretty good vision for a young bloke... I could see him being an awesome fix it for us. Any of our spine goes down, he slots straight in. If not then we find a good way to inject him into the game.

ie.
1. Kevin Naiqama
6. Lachlan Coote
7. Jamie Soward
9. James Segeyaro

14. Matt Moylan

franklin2323

Immortal
Wrong. In round 9 we beat Melbourne 12-10, the 2012 premiers. Shows we CAN compete with the top teams

Just sayin'

Besides that not having played Manly and Bulldogs the other 6 games against teams in the 8.

Points against: 194. Points for: 76. So while we haven't been entirely terrible we have struggled against good teams.

Not just us. Cowboys have an easy run as do the Warriors. So even winning all might not be enough.

franklin2323

Immortal

He hasn't been the same since 2010 always being injured doesn't help. He's our best option for 6 for next year no doubt but his days in 1 are over

age.s

First Grade
Has it been confirmed that Moylan was out of the team due to the 2nd tier cap? Or did I miss that bit?

Latest posts