What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 Vs Warriors

franklin2323

Immortal
The attack wasn’t great, but it wasn’t panic stations either. Looks to me like it’s a structure issue anyway.

No panic from me given new combinations etc. Last tackle plays have been ordinary Cleary fixes it mostly but need another option that is where Burton gets it over Luai

Panther Pete

Juniors
I was surprised how toey Matt Burton is, RTS (who is no slouch) never looked like catching him when he scored from that charge down. Also I watched the game reasonably distracted on a small-ish iPad so bear with me on this one but every time Capewell had a run wearing that headband I kept thinking our very own Martie Lang had made a return! Brought back good memories!

No panic from me given new combinations etc. Last tackle plays have been ordinary Cleary fixes it mostly but need another option that is where Burton gets it over Luai

How does Cleary fix last play options? That’s never been his strength at all. (Not saying he shouldn’t come back in, he’s a no brainer for selection)

franklin2323

Immortal
How does Cleary fix last play options? That’s never been his strength at all. (Not saying he shouldn’t come back in, he’s a no brainer for selection)

His strength is kicking. So many times over the last couple of weeks we have looked lost on the last. Don’t have that problem when he is in the team. Granted other stuff gets missed but given the next 3 difficult games a good end to the set is important

His strength is kicking. So many times over the last couple of weeks we have looked lost on the last. Don’t have that problem when he is in the team. Granted other stuff gets missed but given the next 3 difficult games a good end to the set is important

Fair point, we should get more repeat sets. But in terms of tries his short kicks aren’t very good.

If Ivan keeps Luai at 5/8, I’d prefer to see Burton somewhere in the starting lineup instead of on the bench. If they feel he can handle the defence, I’d drop Whare and play him in the centres.

Was only 2 games but Nathan looked good running the show.

I still think Burton is the one to partner him going forward. The way he bounced back after last week showed what he's made of. Hasn't worked in the past but maybe Luai in the 14? Kenny has been pretty disappointing

If Burton is the 5/8, then Luai at 14 seems like the best bet. Agree it hasn’t been great in the past, but he offers more than Kenny. Provides us a backline option as well as back up hooker.

Dave's mate

Juniors
If Ivan keeps Luai at 5/8, I’d prefer to see Burton somewhere in the starting lineup instead of on the bench. If they feel he can handle the defence, I’d drop Whare and play him in the centres.
He'd be a much better centre than Luai bjt I believe the best 6 at the club should play 6

soc123_au

Staff member
Luai at 14 in the current climate could be a hit. Send him in fresh in the last 20 & tell him to just go downfield.

franklin2323

Immortal
Was only 2 games but Nathan looked good running the show.

I still think Burton is the one to partner him going forward. The way he bounced back after last week showed what he's made of. Hasn't worked in the past but maybe Luai in the 14? Kenny has been pretty disappointing

Kenny is a lock. Luai in the role Peachey used to play would be good

mxlegend99

Referee
Wow
I think everyone needs to take a deep breath.

We just played. And won.
With two very young halves, a fullback with no attacking momentum.

won easily.

and two of those three most likely wont make the team next week.

please can anyone tell me when Penrith has ever had this much depth???
I agree there's not much to be complaining about last night. We won and won well. Lots of silly decisions and poor finishes to sets especially. But the effort was great for 80 minutes.

That said our depth sucks. Our top 17 has a few holes in it. Mostly the backline

Go back to 2015/2016 if you want depth. We had a couple of easy tests on the comp resuming really.

betcats

Referee
I think the last two games Burton has at least matched Luai’s impact and it was his second and third games. And being honest Burton was a field goal away from being flat out better than Luai. Jerome can be a real momentum killer at times with his runs and hospital balls, the vision and skill is there but he is still very much learning to be a first grade half and how to inject himself.

Pomoz

Bench
That game was like watching us play ourselves. The Warriors never really looked like scoring and looked very clunky in attack. A couple of points:
  • Thankfully, Luai and Burton both ran at the line more and it helped create uncertainty in the defence and space for our attack. A big improvement;
  • It is too early to really say it definitively, but I will go out on a limb and say Burton will be our best half. Luai just goes missing for far too many times in a match. Burton is three years younger than Luai and at 6"3', he has a bit of filling out to do. When he gets a few more off seasons into his body, he will be a big strong, and as we saw when given space against the Warriors, mobile unit. But, putting aside physicality, even now, he just does more for the team than Luai does;
  • Our attack still looked blunt, even with our forward pack dominating the Warriors we struggled to score. That said Lua, Aekins and Burton are absolute rookies. It amazes me that the press never notice or comment on this. The Warriors trio of Shek, Green and Nikorima have played over 500 games between them. The Warriors really should have done much better given the experience in their halves. I can't see how Kearney can last the season;
  • The Warriors didn't throw much at us, but the effort in defence was excellent. Plenty of bodies in the tackle and good scrambling defence;
  • I applaud the change in fitness regime implemented in the off-season. We look in superb condition. Pie Face's loss is our team's gain;
  • JFH and Tamou both ran for more than 200m. Leota and Tetevano both made 140m+. A brilliant game from our engine room. JFH? Brilliant, just brilliant.
The Warriors were so poor, but you can only play what is in front of you. The Eels will be a big test for us. Can we score enough points to win?

The_Frog

First Grade
Luai's little kicks ingoal have worked for us. He reads the play well. Ivan won't drop him, but what to do with Burton is something of a headache.

The_Frog

First Grade
The Warriors were so poor
I think they played to their capability and showed a lot of heart, but the cattle isn't all that good. Nikorima and RTS could have done more for them but their forwards were dominated.

Latest posts