What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 V Eels

tripster

Juniors
Having cooled down a bit one thing to take away from that game is that it is the type of game 2 or even 1 year ago we would have lost.

It had all the attributes:

1. It was a game everyone expected us to walk in.

2. It was against the team running last that we beat 5 weeks before. We are never usually 100% committed in those games and we lose them.

3. We had hardly any ball in the second half and defended something like 40 tackles on our own line. Has a Penrith team ever done that? I don’t think I can remember it.

4. The opposition was wholly committed in that game. Mistakes in attack (when they had good field position) was all that let them down.

Whilst I want us to put on performances like we did against NQ every week, to be a premiership contender and finish top 4 we also have to win those ugly games, and defend our mistakes. Can take a lot away from the fact we managed that today.

GongPanther

Referee
We win with a defense that was against it for the full 80 minutes. If anything,our lads do deserve praise the way they stopped a very determined and equally desparate Parra. Tittans next week will be a game were we can pile on the points. If we get it right.

The Realist

Juniors
Jimmy showing his age again. last week looks like a fluke

That is harsh. I think he played quite well a solid 7 or 7.5/10. Controlled the game pretty well etc but had a few forced errors, nothing unusual for even top rated players. It is what they do when it counts...For instance after his knock on after getting smashed taking an offload, Parra all out attack. Jimmy takes an intercept and the pressure is off for a good few sets.

The players who really struggled tonight for us where Edwards, Mansour and to an extent Peachey. Cricton and Whare where also mediocre but at least aimed up in defence.

tripster

Juniors
Anyone know who was the MOM? Hard to pick! I thought Fish was really good! Along with Yeo and Kikau

Agree, it is tough. Some people might laugh but I wouldn't mind giving it to Maloney. He set up our only try with a pin point kick when he read that the Parra winger was up.

He saved a try against Jennings when he chased hard and just beat Jennings to the ball to knock it dead.

He was solid in defence. He caused Parra to lose the ball once and he took and intercept at a critical time.

He kicked 4 from 4.

I feel reluctant to give it to him when the forwards worked so hard. But they worked so hard as a team that it is hard to give it to just one of them. Can we just saw that our pack was MOM?

The Realist

Juniors
Haha.

Not to start those games again, but we haven’t played a single team in the current top 8.

Next week will be our first.

In fact, we’ve played the bottom 3 in 4 of our 5 games.

I was thinking this. We are 4/5 just like the Tigers, but they have taken on far more impressive teams. I would easily take their start of the season against ours.

Fangs

Coach
Perenara isn’t a first grade ref’s arsehole. He is f**king terrible.

He wasn't good for both sides IMO. Penrith were almost never onside when we were defending from the Northern end. We were repeat offenders all game and it was ignored.

I was thinking this. We are 4/5 just like the Tigers, but they have taken on far more impressive teams. I would easily take their start of the season against ours.

There’s has been better, but strangely only 1 game against the current top 8 for them.

Anyway our real test is to come.

Fangs

Coach
Thoughts from Fangs:

- Very good first half. Awful second. We gave Parra a chance they never deserved. Was a real crap game of football in the end.

- Great display by our forward pack, particularly the starters. All of them were very physical and JFH in particular looked dangerous. He has got a great offload and is doing a lot of the work Merrin did for us in 2016.

- On that note, I thought James Tamou was again disappointing from the bench.

- Maloney had another great game. Not as flashy as last week but was the key man in our victory today. Saved our bacon on a number of occasions. I'm quite impressive with his work in defence, he is making up for the missed tackles.

- Back 3 weren't the best. Some alright touches from Mansour.

- Peachey should thankfully find himself back at centre if Blake doesn't play next week. 5/8s are required to pass the ball every now and then, it seems he doesn't know how. Still love him.

tripster

Juniors
Haha.

Not to start those games again, but we haven’t played a single team in the current top 8.

Next week will be our first.

In fact, we’ve played the bottom 3 in 4 of our 5 games.

Haha, it won't be long until fans from other teams start slinging this at us.

But this early in the season statisically we are largely responsible for those other teams being where they are on the ladder. Parra have lost two of their games against us. I reckon we did some real damage to their confidence given how they lost against us in the first round, and we hurt them physically. North Queensland were also pretty heavily bruised against us.

I remember there was a stat a few seasons ago where the team who played the Warriors more often than not lost the next week. The theory at the time was that the Warriors forwards - even if they weren't winning games - were really beating up the opposition physically. Given how dominant our displays in the forwards have been this year, I wonder if we are having a similar effect on teams. Souths are the only team to win the following week after playing us.

mxlegend99

Referee
Having cooled down a bit one thing to take away from that game is that it is the type of game 2 or even 1 year ago we would have lost.

It had all the attributes:

1. It was a game everyone expected us to walk in.

2. It was against the team running last that we beat 5 weeks before. We are never usually 100% committed in those games and we lose them.

3. We had hardly any ball in the second half and defended something like 40 tackles on our own line. Has a Penrith team ever done that? I don’t think I can remember it.

4. The opposition was wholly committed in that game. Mistakes in attack (when they had good field position) was all that let them down.

Whilst I want us to put on performances like we did against NQ every week, to be a premiership contender and finish top 4 we also have to win those ugly games, and defend our mistakes. Can take a lot away from the fact we managed that today.
You're trying to make struggling to beat a shit tesm into something special.

Its not. We get 2 points towards the top 4. But no part of that game was bragworthy. We were terrible and it reflected poorly upon us by making the Eels have a shot.

Our roster is so far ahead of theirs it's like reserve grade side pushing us.

But this early in the season statisically we are largely responsible for those other teams being where they are on the ladder. Parra have lost two of their games against us. I reckon we did some real damage to their confidence given how they lost against us in the first round, and we hurt them physically. North Queensland were also pretty heavily bruised against us.

I remember there was a stat a few seasons ago where the team who played the Warriors more often than not lost the next week. The theory at the time was that the Warriors forwards - even if they weren't winning games - were really beating up the opposition physically. Given how dominant our displays in the forwards have been this year, I wonder if we are having a similar effect on teams. Souths are the only team to win the following week after playing us.

I’m really happy with the start to our season, thought it was an interesting stat though.

Rounds 12-20 look like a real test for us, made harder by the origin series.

mxlegend99

Referee

We make shit teams look half decent

martielang

Bench
Martie were are clearly on opposite sides of the consent arguments here but surely you can admit that Eels side is aids? they have nothing

They are an average side, lacking all confidence, but they were clearly fired up for today & tried to take it to us. We seemed to be a bit complacent with the ball & our execution was down but we still created a few opportunities from decent plays despite having limited ball insifd the 20.

Our defence speaks for itself. Aggressive, & structured. Huge improvement from previous years, we are starting to intimidate teams which is something I can’t remember a Penrith side doing.

We are nowhere near the finished product but the signs thus far are good.

How anyone can continue to bag off the team relentlessly despite our start this year, & I’m not pointing the finger at you, is beyond me.

Pomoz

Bench
You're trying to make struggling to beat a shit tesm into something special.

Its not. We get 2 points towards the top 4. But no part of that game was bragworthy. We were terrible and it reflected poorly upon us by making the Eels have a shot.

Our roster is so far ahead of theirs it's like reserve grade side pushing us.
I can't agree with that. Our defence was outstanding and caused the Eels to make a lot of mistakes in attack.It was a local derby against a desperate team on their home ground. Our attack was blunt but our defence was described by commentators as an 'iron curtain'. That is what will win us premierships, defend as a team like your life depended on it. The attack will come.

There is nothing wrong with their roster. Two quality halves, a rep centre, but they have some injuries. They showed plenty of heart, they just executed poorly under the pressure of our exceptional line speed and hard hits.

They are an average side, lacking all confidence, but they were clearly fired up for today & tried to take it to us. We seemed to be a bit complacent with the ball & our execution was down but we still created a few opportunities from decent plays despite having limited ball insifd the 20.

Our defence speaks for itself. Aggressive, & structured. Huge improvement from previous years, we are starting to intimidate teams which is something I can’t remember a Penrith side doing.

We are nowhere near the finished product but the signs thus far are good.

How anyone can continue to bag off the team relentlessly despite our start this year, & I’m not pointing the finger at you, is beyond me.
Luai or Egan HAS to start while Nathan is out. That attack was awful. Jimmy needs to be better

Latest posts